Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010
Wasted space? I defy you to find a better use of space than Xenomorphs lounging on my titlebar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Zlodo posted:

the kde5 migration to qt5 was a clusterfuck for the first few point releases, mostly plasma making GBS threads itself in various ways
even today i get the occasional hosed up start menu or plasma randomly thrashing the cpu as in the pic i posted above

its only been a smooth ride when compared to kde4

it was fine for me

i had zero qt5-migration related problems

maybe because i relied on the distribution packaging?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Athas posted:

How come those late 90s and early 2000s Linux desktops (like that KDE) wasted so much space, given that monitors and resolutions were smaller in those days? GNOME didn't have those garish window decorations IIRC, but it did have strangely huge desktop icons.

screens weren't that much smaller

the de facto standard size of a unix desktop, starting in the early 1980s, was 1152x900 on a 19" screen. some were even higher resolution, but almost never lower

there was never a time when unix workstations commonly had 640x480 resolution or 14" monitors, so kde and gnome didn't spend a lot of time thinking about that kind of thing

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Dielectric posted:

Wasted space? I defy you to find a better use of space than Xenomorphs lounging on my titlebar.

linux does what windoesnt

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I still have a soft spot in my heart for old riced-out GNOME 2 environments. It was a different, more innocent time.

Blueheart window decorations + Blue Steel pixmap theme :unsmith:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

screens weren't that much smaller

the de facto standard size of a unix desktop, starting in the early 1980s, was 1152x900 on a 19" screen. some were even higher resolution, but almost never lower

there was never a time when unix workstations commonly had 640x480 resolution or 14" monitors, so kde and gnome didn't spend a lot of time thinking about that kind of thing

KDE and Gnome never primarily targetted big boy Unix workstations dude, their primary focus was always Linux on PCs. That said by the time they got going even PCs would at least rock 1024x768, we arent talking 1990 here.

Source: literally a KDE developer myself circa 1998

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 17, 2019

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

feedmegin posted:

KDE and Gnome never primarily targetted big boy Unix workstations dude, their primary focus was always Linux on PCs. That said by the time they got going even PCs would at least rock 1024x768, we arent talking 1990 here.

Source: literally a KDE developer myself circa 1998

eh you could get a graphics board for a pc to drive a unix monitor and it wasn't insanely expensive

that was kind of number9 graphics gimmick. not an accident that they were one of the first well-supported drivers under linux...

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sapozhnik posted:

I still have a soft spot in my heart for old riced-out GNOME 2 environments. It was a different, more innocent time.

Blueheart window decorations + Blue Steel pixmap theme :unsmith:

gnome 2 was legitimately better than gnome 3

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Dielectric posted:

lol

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

eh you could get a graphics board for a pc to drive a unix monitor and it wasn't insanely expensive

Or you could just buy a nice Trinitron with a VGA connector. It's not like Unix vendors had Secret Monitor Tech and enough people were doing eg professional DTP on Macs and PCs that gear was available. The high water mark for UNIX workstations is the late 80s and early 90s anyway, the whole reason Linux eats their lunch in the late 90s is that consumer PCs are now close to performance competitive and also dirt cheap.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

feedmegin posted:

Or you could just buy a nice Trinitron with a VGA connector. It's not like Unix vendors had Secret Monitor Tech and enough people were doing eg professional DTP on Macs and PCs that gear was available. The high water mark for UNIX workstations is the late 80s and early 90s anyway,

well at the time the way to get a cheap trinitron was university surplus, and they would be wired with the wrong fuckin plug

a brand new 19" trinitron was like $2 grand back in the day

feedmegin posted:

the whole reason Linux eats their lunch in the late 90s is that consumer PCs are now close to performance competitive and also dirt cheap.

yeah, a 400 MHz pentium II was about 1/2 the speed of a 500 MHz UltraSPARC IIi, but 1/5th to 1/10th the price

fuckin obliterated low-end unix poo poo

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Dielectric posted:

e16 ruled. that was my main wm forever. then e17 came out and poo poo hit the fan so I stopped using it after getting used to other WMs. haven't really touched it since

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Dielectric posted:

hell yes

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

gnome 2 was legitimately better than gnome 3

no dude. just no :stonk: :stare: :catstare: :dogestare: :scared: :omg:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

e16 ruled. that was my main wm forever. then e17 came out and poo poo hit the fan so I stopped using it after getting used to other WMs. haven't really touched it since

you haven't missed anything

the e17 guy now works for samsung to make android clone software based on the enlightenment libs

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the e17 guy now works for samsung to make android clone software based on the enlightenment libs

And last time I looked at it it was impressively horrible

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it was fine for me

i had zero qt5-migration related problems

maybe because i relied on the distribution packaging?

lol i was expecting the "you're holding it wrong" and here it is

i did rely on distro packaging as well

pram
Jun 10, 2001
people unironically using kde in 2019 :newlol:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
that reminds me I never did give the open sourced cde a proper try. maybe it is finally time to return to linux for my daily driver

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

pram posted:

people unironically using kde in 2019 :newlol:

i prefer to develop my hobby poo poo in a linux and kde is the least lovely desktop there

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

rasterman is cool tho

his poo poo was faaaaast

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Zlodo posted:

i prefer to develop my hobby poo poo in a linux and kde is the least lovely desktop there

Gnome 3 is way better.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

i like mate on linux, it's basically just modern gnome 2

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Same. Gets the job done fine on my ancient laptop.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

rasterman is cool tho

his poo poo was faaaaast

do i got to post a link to the dailywtf article about efl again

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

why is kde still so ugly after all this time. why has no-one come along and made it not ugly.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

do i got to post a link to the dailywtf article about efl again

you know you want to

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

josh04 posted:

why is kde still so ugly after all this time. why has no-one come along and made it not ugly.

5 looks way better than 4 ever did

4 looked like the kind of stuff you get from a 15 year old with a warezed copy of photoshop who sits in a dark room all day and looking at it was depressing

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

feedmegin posted:

And last time I looked at it it was impressively horrible

I'm shocked that the guy who spent a decade on a pointless replacement that wouldn't compile if you looked at it wrong is making bad software

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

psiox posted:

i haven't used kde in so long that it surprises me to hear they still have releases

is it Good Enough to Try? i ask as an XFCE dork, a child baby, a dingdong

I tried kde plasma as a casual desktop linux man and found it very poor compared to ubuntu/gnome. half of the packages installed from the included manager did not launch.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

a friend of mine keeps trying to get me to install deepin linux and going on about how flawless it is.

maybe the ccp hacked his brain

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

I feel like giant icons and window margins were acceptable on linux DEs because they generally all had multiple desktops, versus windows where you were stuck with it

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

I never had to use a file manager. KDE comes with "dolphin" now which is funny

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

use ranger. the vim of file managers

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Amethyst posted:

use ranger. the vim of file managers

the default mode when you open it doesn't manage files?

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
so it seems safe to assume the only people who really undestand efl/tizen work for intelligence agencies

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Back in the day I worked with my friend to create kroller, a MacOS dock clone for KDE. It was even on kde-look.org.

I also used FVWM.

Now I just use stock gnome3.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

all this spergin' is giving me linux desktop lust

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

that's gnu/linux desktop lust to you, pal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
am i just imagining that i had a 1600x1200 crt before lcds came around and hosed up resolutions for 15 years?

i could have sworn that screen resolutions are only just now catching up to what they were in 2003