Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Electricity is scary, it's basically an invisible force that makes things work to a lot of people who just did not care about physics classes in school and have never done anything with electronics projects or the internet. It's basically the closest thing we have to magic if you were born in the ATOMIC AGE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I don't trust it, there I said it

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

hot take: electricity is magic but because it's our magic we don't think it's magic

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Djeser posted:

hot take: electricity is magic but because it's our magic we don't think it's magic

I mean yeah, that’s how magic typically works

Bozarth
Sep 2, 2003

What fucking language are you speaking?
“Magic is a wish that Science makes.” —Arthur C. Clarke

ShellGame
Apr 10, 2016

stack 'em to the heavens
I'm so disappointed in all of you. Didn't you hear what they said? They've done research. That's SCIENCE.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Whoops, wrong podcast thread

change my name fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 14, 2019

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm gonna dump a lot of words about dumb bullshit here but I just relistened to the biohacker episode while there's some biohacker drama goin on and I forgot there was a bit where they read a thing about how 'transhumanists' tend to be rich libertarian types while 'biohackers' are more regular people and all. It was kinda 50/50 'well yea gently caress transhumanists' and 'you're kinda a bit self important there, dude shoving magnets in his rear end cheeks' and it was a good bit but it kinda felt more relevant now.

Basically there's some drama in some circles that are trying to weirdly be all 'trans biohackers are making us look like FREAKS or something' and to the community's credit most people are going 'yea those trans people are really making me with my LED implant look like some kinda weirdo', but it sparked a talk about how as biohacking becomes more mainstream it HAS actually been getting more co-opted. There's actually a whole thing where those dumbshit 'brainforce supermax' guys are invading biohacker groups all 'if you REALLY wanna optimize your body you should take this snake oil pill'. Like, I'm not gonna say biohackers trying to shove D batteries in their spine or whatever are some brave freedom warriors but it is kinda sad to see so much of it get absorbed by grifters and hucksters when yea as weird as they are I like them way better than transhumanist freaks at least.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

We may be weirdos but at least we haven't been gentrified yet!

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Can't wait for the cock and ball torture furry lactation gentrification to come around

Also TBF I think biohacking attracts trans people for pretty obviously being a desire for many of us. Plus we're disproportionately computer touchers, nerds, or otherwise into technology. Nobody knows you're a dog on the internet after all. And like usual people who don't actually have that identity are trying to strip out the parts of the culture that feel uncomfortable. See: drag going from QTPOC quasi-protests to white girl yassing circles.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

T-man posted:

Can't wait for the cock and ball torture furry lactation gentrification to come around

Also TBF I think biohacking attracts trans people for pretty obviously being a desire for many of us. Plus we're disproportionately computer touchers, nerds, or otherwise into technology. Nobody knows you're a dog on the internet after all. And like usual people who don't actually have that identity are trying to strip out the parts of the culture that feel uncomfortable. See: drag going from QTPOC quasi-protests to white girl yassing circles.

Are you trying to say that being trans is a requirement to being a biohacker? Because that’s what it kinda reads like.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Where are you getting that? It's just an elaboration of sexpig's post with a hypothesis on why that identity is associated with biohacking in the first place.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 15, 2019

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Where are you getting that? It's just an elaboration of sexpig's post with a hypothesis on why that identity is associated with biohacking in the first place.

The last two sentences about stripping the identity out of cultures and drag stuff being taken over by yasss types. It’s probably all just the lack of inflection that happens over text, T-man is a usually a good poster so I just wanted to get their intent right since the way I read it was... yeah.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

sexpig by night posted:

Basically there's some drama in some circles that are trying to weirdly be all 'trans biohackers are making us look like FREAKS or something'

Driya
Feb 16, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Are you trying to say that being trans is a requirement to being a biohacker? Because that’s what it kinda reads like.

I'm pretty sure they're saying that it shouldn't surprise anyone that some trans people would be attracted to a community interested in body modification.

You're already dealing with dysphoria over your body, might as well slap some LEDs on that fucker.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Yep, I totally misread it. My bad!

Driya posted:

I'm pretty sure they're saying that it shouldn't surprise anyone that some trans people would be attracted to a community interested in body modification.

You're already dealing with dysphoria over your body, might as well slap some LEDs on that fucker.

And I get the whole trans and cyberpunk thing. Like the Matrix makes way more sense now that the Wachowskis are out. Just been on some really hostile online communities and that colored my reading of the post. I’m sorry!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea obviously you don't have to be trans to be a biohacker but unsurprisingly many communities of them have a good amount of trans/nb folks in them because, ya know, all the reasons you'd assume someone in those communities may enjoy 'we can modify ourselves to be our best self and should be proud of that ability even if it's frivolous or silly seeming to outsiders'. Cyberpunk is the best punk because it's queer as hell.

Penultimatum
Apr 2, 2010
Bio-hackers are kind of fascinating to me because they’re essentially early adopters for cybernetics except with the major caveat that cybernetics don’t actually exist yet
So it ends up being a super intense form of LARPing where you jam bits of metal in your body so you can pretend to be a cyborg
Like, the community existing would make sense if we actually had technology worth jamming into your body, but we don’t, and these people do it anyway

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Penultimatum posted:

Bio-hackers are kind of fascinating to me because they’re essentially early adopters for cybernetics except with the major caveat that cybernetics don’t actually exist yet
So it ends up being a super intense form of LARPing where you jam bits of metal in your body so you can pretend to be a cyborg
Like, the community existing would make sense if we actually had technology worth jamming into your body, but we don’t, and these people do it anyway

But, ear pockets!

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
gently caress you mom the fact that I cloned my bus pass to my left hand means I'm superman and there's nothing you can do about it

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Do y'all have any recommendations for episodes to introduce someone to the podcast? I have a friend who is interested but I'm not sure which ones to start them on.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Stroop There It Is posted:

Do y'all have any recommendations for episodes to introduce someone to the podcast? I have a friend who is interested but I'm not sure which ones to start them on.

Roy Orbison Wrapped in Clingfilm. The TVtropes ones. Dozerfleet 1 and 2. High quality material but none of it is so gross it’ll turn away a new listener.

Who else is going to F Plus Live in January? It’s in Portland on 1/18.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Any Cling You Want (You Got It) is perhaps the archetypal "clean" introductory episode

Help Me Help Rob Help You

A Not At All Brief History of the Dozerfleet

These Are A Few Of My Favorite Kinks (warning: gross and sexual, but also hilarious)

Sins of the Djinn

Adventures in ReTale

Absolutely any of the WikiHow episodes. Just make them listen to them all in order. There's like 8 or 9 at this point and they're all stupendous.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

That Old Tree posted:

Absolutely any of the WikiHow episodes. Just make them listen to them all in order. There's like 8 or 9 at this point and they're all stupendous.

I'm a relatively new listener to the podcast and I was just listening to one of these the other day while driving (It was the "How to React when Your Spouse Is Wearing Diapers", "actually, Linda" one). I was laughing so hard I had to pull the car over for a while to catch my breath. Just tremendous.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Edit: wrong thread.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
I think the #200 retrospective might actually be a decent place to start. Gives a sense of the ethos of the podcast while hitting some really good high points.

Alternatively, I believe the audiophile episode may be my favourite.

ParserGirl
Jun 3, 2005

I just got around to starting Unknown Armies: Santa's Little Helpers and it's loving fantastic. The scene with the car incident and the flying powder was amazing. It was funny to the point I could picture the scene and almost hear the *poof.*

Great and consistent characters all around!

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Just give them your favorite episode that won't make them throw up.

bio347 posted:

I think the #200 retrospective might actually be a decent place to start. Gives a sense of the ethos of the podcast while hitting some really good high points.
No way. Reminiscence about things they didn't hear and spoilers for all the best bits is the absolute last place to start.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

any of the ones about yelling angrily into the void

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Crocoswine posted:

any of the ones about yelling angrily into the void

I just listened to “It is always cold in Chili’s” again on my drive home this afternoon and gotta second this. We Wuv Wawa is similarly amazing.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Random recent ones which are innocent and completely internet.txt

I'm Twelve And I'm Not Lying

Flashlight Enthusiasts

Self Publish And Perish

and the must-listen companion

You're Reviewing It Wrong

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

The squirt gun WATER WAR episode is also amazing and harmless

ShellGame
Apr 10, 2016

stack 'em to the heavens
Oh recommendations again?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

I just listened to “It is always cold in Chili’s” again on my drive home this afternoon and gotta second this. We Wuv Wawa is similarly amazing.

Adam Bozarth is an excellent reader

ParserGirl
Jun 3, 2005

ShellGame posted:

Oh recommendations again?

Yes! This is one of my favorites. There's gross sexual stuff (ha) but it's easier on the ears because it doesn't involve people preying on actual humans.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Fistpump highfive instant-agree

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

PJOmega posted:

Adam Bozarth is an excellent reader

He's consistently the funniest, yah

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
161 is pretty solid in general but it's worth it for two words.

Football Congress

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
https://twitter.com/TheFPlus/status/1174115351593967616?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I like how this is a literal sequel to that other drug episode, complete with the same cast