Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Does their card only do 2% and only on Apple purchases??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rolo posted:

3% on Apple purchases (and a few other partners, like Uber), 2% on all Applepay purchases, 1% using the card itself. Paid daily.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Rolo posted:

3% on stuff from Apple, 2% non-Apple paid via Apple pay. Also 3% on select partners like Uber & Walgreens I think.

e; b

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

None of those cards have the Apple logo on them.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I wish we had good free 2% on everything cards in Canada. We have a 1.75 no fee MasterCard (4% on forex!) ... or 2% in 3 categories

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
My fave is still the PlayStation Visa, 10% on PSN puchases and 3% on fast food, a true goon's card. My sexy new titanium hotness will be a distant 2nd at best.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

prom candy posted:

Also does anyone know if there's a way to actually snap a selfie without holding/touching your phone? I know Siri can open the camera but I'd like to be able to take a pic without holding my phone because I can get a pretty good angle when it's in my kayak's cup holder.

enojy posted:

I thought "hey Siri take a selfie" worked, but all it does is open the camera app with the front-facing camera active.
I was thinking maybe something with Shortcuts. In iOS 12 it can maybe kinda work, but not particularly well. It can take a picture automatically...if you have the preview turned off. If you have it turned on you still have to take the picture manually.

Course this is with like 5 seconds of messing with Shortcuts now, so there might be other tricks to do it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Pivo posted:

I wish we had good free 2% on everything cards in Canada. We have a 1.75 no fee MasterCard (4% on forex!) ... or 2% in 3 categories

We gave up on that and just stick to aeroplan, which pays for the Christmas trip east and the occasional unplanned trip every year.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I feel like that sucks, especially for a card that has special cleaning instructions.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Pivo posted:

I don't think the UK even has cashback cards like that, at most maybe some bank accounts for direct debits?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

ijyt posted:

I don't think the UK even has cashback cards like that, at most maybe some bank accounts for direct debits?

Cashback cards were super common in the UK when was last living there. Even my crappy one gave me 1% or 1.5%.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
I feel like the Apple Card is worth having literally just for Apple purchases, given its lack of annual fee. What other card gives 3% at Apple? I feel like my CSR only does 1% there.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

illcendiary posted:

I feel like the Apple Card is worth having literally just for Apple purchases, given its lack of annual fee. What other card gives 3% at Apple? I feel like my CSR only does 1% there.

How many Apple purchase do you make in a year? A lot of their stuff is expensive, and they have monthly services, but I dont know if I for one spend enough with Apple where I need s specific card. Especially because I have a generic 2% back that takes care of most of it anyway.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Luckily my terrible credit prevnts me from making this or any other credit card decision in the near future.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

illcendiary posted:

Not to derail this thread further but the Chase Freedom Unlimited was offering 3% on all purchases for the first 12 months earlier this year. When paired with a CSP or CSR that will get you 3.75 or 4.25 on the UR portal.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Lots of cards give 2%. The extra 1% you get for Apple is 10 dollars a year if you spend 1,000 dollars a year. That doesnt even cover the new wallet Id have to buy so my toddler idiot of a credit card doesnt touch leather.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Never get a first gen Apple product, wait until they announce the redesign.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Well the drat card is free, will sit in a drawer when its not in use, gives me ~$25-30 cash back every couple of years and reduces my credit utilization by X amount by way of just existing :shrug:

Good to know about Freedom Unlimited though!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

xzzy posted:

In two years well get the Apple Card 2 with a coating that allows it to stay shiny or some poo poo. 100 dollar one time fee.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

xzzy posted:

The Space Grey version.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Credit cards are for suckers I pay only in bitcoin and cash.

Seriously though, check out the Uber Visa card. 4% dining and 3% airfare and hotels is like impossible to beat on a no fee card. Im sure Im helping them build their massive AI database so they can ship Subway sandwiches faster but whatever.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Rolo posted:

In two years well get the Apple Card 2 with a coating that allows it to stay shiny or some poo poo. 100 dollar one time fee.

My friend Boris at the mall kiosk will give your card a dip in the finest protective polymer for $20

azzenco
Jan 16, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Fallom posted:

My friend Boris...

Why always Boris?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

xzzy posted:

iPhone X turned out ok, no?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Housh posted:

iPhone X turned out ok, no?

That was like 18th gen or whatever since the original iphone

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Rolo posted:

And the Apple Card 2 Pro will have NFC payments.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Supersonic posted:

I was thinking about SA Mart and have successfully sold things there in the past, but I live in Canada and am worried the insurance and duties on the package would really eat into the margins.

If you're ok with being a naughty boy just declare it as a gift and no one will pay duty. I sold tons of poo poo from Canada on SA Mart before I moved to Australia.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

Cashback cards were super common in the UK when was last living there. Even my crappy one gave me 1% or 1.5%.

A couple of years ago the EU capped the fees banks and card networks could charge business to accept them as payment. This is overall a good thing but most kickbacks to the user were a percentage of those fees.

As a result most cards have dramatically scaled back there rewards schemes.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Hey cool, you can battery percent shame your friends now in iOS 13.

(How do I check if my battery status is being shared and/or how do I turn it off? As you can see its not shown for all devices. Only this persons watch showed me the battery for some reason.)

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Boris Galerkin posted:

Hey cool, you can battery percent shame your friends now in iOS 13.

(How do I check if my battery status is being shared and/or how do I turn it off? As you can see its not shown for all devices. Only this persons watch showed me the battery for some reason.)
That sounds like a handy feature to tell that if someone suddenly goes invisible it's cuz their battery died. Is there a reason you'd wanna turn it off?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Rolo posted:

Space Black/DLC coating could actually work :science:

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Question Mark Mound posted:

That sounds like a handy feature to tell that if someone suddenly goes invisible it's cuz their battery died. Is there a reason you'd wanna turn it off?

You're iMessaging the girl you met on Tinder (because you wouldn't match with a green bubble prole). You notice her battery's getting real low. "Ah I know," you think to yourself, as you load up Amazon Prime Now and send her an Anker power bank.

Beats carrying a printer to her house.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Question Mark Mound posted:

You dont think your scenario is creepy as gently caress? There are many reasons why Id go invisible and stop responding to someone, none of which the other person is entitled to know.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/ZachHonig/status/1173957371783237633

Night mode is nuts

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Sep 18, 2019

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Boris Galerkin posted:

You don’t think your scenario is creepy as gently caress? There are many reasons why I’d go invisible and stop responding to someone, none of which the other person is entitled to know.

Objectively this is likely the case but I ask why youd grant someone you didnt trust access to that kind of geodata in the first place. Anyone I have on that list I dont give a gently caress about knowing poo poo.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Boris Galerkin posted:

You dont think your scenario is creepy as gently caress? There are many reasons why Id go invisible and stop responding to someone, none of which the other person is entitled to know.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/ZachHonig/status/1173957371783237633

Night mode is nuts

Looking forward to the first news story about a guy getting arrested/shot/beat up for taping an iPhone Pro to his shoe for upskirt shots at the club.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
So my workplace provided me with a free IPhone XR. Which is great because I was using a base model 6. I spoke to the office in charge and asked if I could put my own SIM card in it and they said that was fine.

The issue is that the phone is Verizon and my carrier is AT&T. So when I switched the SIM I got an error message telling me the phone was not unlocked. Is there anything I can do to circumnavigate this? It could be a legit or non-legit method. I dont really care.

I did some googling and saw some websites that offer a paid service where you type in some of the info like the phone number and carrier, and it claims it will unlock it. No idea if these are legit.

If there is no way to unlock it, is there anyway I could functionally make this my main phone while keeping my original cell number from my old phone? The phone seems to do a lot of this already in that it pushes me all texts and calls from my iPhone 6 using iCloud. However it does not do this for anyone text messaging me from an Android phone, which is a significant chunk of my friends. Is there anyway to address this issue? Also would my iPhone 6 need to remain on and powered for it to keep doing this?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I guess specs are coming out

All three phones have 4GB of RAM, use Intel
Modems, and have larger batteries. The 11 only goes up a little bit, from ~2900mAh to ~3100, the Pro from 2600 to 3050, and the Pro Max from 3100 to just shy of 4000.

This is based on regulatory filing, so no physical confirmation yet.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I didn't realize Verizon even locked phones anymore. That's a weird one.

Also: Intel modems :negative:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Megasabin posted:

So my workplace provided me with a free IPhone XR. Which is great because I was using a base model 6. I spoke to the office in charge and asked if I could put my own SIM card in it and they said that was fine.

The issue is that the phone is Verizon and my carrier is AT&T. So when I switched the SIM I got an error message telling me the phone was not unlocked. Is there anything I can do to circumnavigate this? It could be a legit or non-legit method. I dont really care.

I did some googling and saw some websites that offer a paid service where you type in some of the info like the phone number and carrier, and it claims it will unlock it. No idea if these are legit.

If there is no way to unlock it, is there anyway I could functionally make this my main phone while keeping my original cell number from my old phone? The phone seems to do a lot of this already in that it pushes me all texts and calls from my iPhone 6 using iCloud. However it does not do this for anyone text messaging me from an Android phone, which is a significant chunk of my friends. Is there anyway to address this issue? Also would my iPhone 6 need to remain on and powered for it to keep doing this?

Last I knew the non-legit ways have been pretty squashed, also might be trickier depending on how your company manages devices.

The whole verizon devices = unlocked stopped awhile ago. If you're company hasn't purchased them outright and there is still a balance on them Verizon probably won't unlock it. Can you look into getting your personal acct on there with the eSIM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

I didn't realize Verizon even locked phones anymore. That's a weird one.

Also: Intel modems :negative:

Verizon locks new phones purchased through them for a period of 60 days. After which the lock is automatically removed. (https://www.verizon.com/about/consumer-safety/device-unlocking-policy)

Edit: They apply this policy even if you buy it outright at retail.