Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Professor Funk posted:

Someone ITT literally put jacoby brisset, lamar jackson, and gardner minshew in the same breath as patrick mahomes and deshaun watson lol

I love TFF.

I mean it was in a listing of General young talent you don’t need to mention Mahones as some special thing every time you speak his name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean it was in a listing of General young talent you don’t need to mention Mahones as some special thing every time you udder his name

I saw this post pre-edit, buddy

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Huh somehow Matt Stafford is only 31, coulda sworn he was like 35

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
N: https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1173780967342989318

V: Steelers giving up a potential top 5 pick for a slot corner that needs work. I approve.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

AndrewP posted:

Huh somehow Matt Stafford is only 31, coulda sworn he was like 35

Yeah Staff is stupidly young considering how long he's been in the league (drafted in 2009).

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The Puppy Bowl posted:

OLD N: https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1173780967342989318

OLD V: Steelers giving up a potential top 5 pick for a slot corner that needs work. I approve.

fixed this

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Docjowles posted:

god drat it. I know the players don't matter but Wynn owns and apparently he's just going to be hurt forever and be another meaningless early round bust

Now will they somehow trade for Trent Williams, or just mold a new tackle out of clay?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Kalli posted:

Now will they somehow trade for Trent Williams, or just mold a new tackle out of clay?

I have no idea how they’d fit Trent’s cap number.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I have no idea how they’d fit Trent’s cap number.

Bill
Belichick

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Kalli posted:

You already know it's the latter. Scarnecchia just threw another sack full of beautiful virgin kittens and puppies into a bonfire as sacrifice to begin the ancient rituals.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Nodoze posted:

To expand on this more:

Older guys:
Rodgers: Slowly declining, still good. This may change though as he escaped from Fat Mike.
Cousins: Playing like poo poo this year, historically good.
Ben: Hurt. Future TBD
Eli: sucks, benched
Brees: Hurt. Still playing at top level, but who knows what happens now with his hand injury.
Brady: Still playing well, slowly declining. Also old AF

I'm offended at the Philip omission

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Rivers: Bound for the Hall of Fame (of loving)

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Watson and Mahomes look like the first QBs that will stick since Russell Wilson in 2012. Everyone else I'd dead or questionable

Yep, and the pickings have been real slim in some of those years.

2013: EJ Manuel, Geno Smith, Mike Glennon... the worst QB draft in history maybe

2014: Teddy Bridgewater, Johnny Manziel, Aaron Murray, AJ McCarron, Zach Mettenberger, Blake Bortles, Derek Carr, Tom Savage... several of these guys I only know from the AAF and they're all terrible besides Carr who is mediocre

2015: Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota, Brett Hundley, a bunch of nobodies... the results speak for themselves here, Hundley's been traded around teams, Mariota and Winston have been kept for lack of better options and because they are on their rookie deals. Never going to be more than mediocre

2016: Wentz, Goff, Dak, Brissett. Some decent options here, nothing amazing but overall an uptick

So that's a period of four years during which only three guys have been awarded new deals as franchise quarterback, and they all came from 2016. When it takes that long to get a single franchise quarterback for a single team, no surprise we're running low now that the olds are dying

quote:

Rivers: Bound for the Hall of Fame (of loving)

It's called the Hall of F . . . . . . . ucking

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The Eli Manning Giants are the most wildly inconsistent team in the universe. Every week it was unclear whether they were going to go off or poo poo the joint up. He won regular season games exactly 50% of the time. He and his fired coach have two rings over the Patriots, one of which was over the God's Destiny team with an air attack that was probably scarier than Montana/Rice.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Play posted:

2016: Wentz, Goff, Dak, Brissett. Some decent options here, nothing amazing but overall an uptick

Maybe some pedantry on my part here, but "some decent options here" strikes me as quite the undersell.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Sodomy Hussein posted:

The Eli Manning Giants are the most wildly inconsistent team in the universe. Every week it was unclear whether they were going to go off or poo poo the joint up. He won regular season games exactly 50% of the time. He and his fired coach have two rings over the Patriots, one of which was over the God's Destiny team with an air attack that was probably scarier than Montana/Rice.

basically, eli was absolutely average, but with hilariously high variance

the highest of highs, the lowest of lows

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

PupsOfWar posted:

ive pointed out that gardner minshew looks like a young uncle rico, my local espn affiliate has pointed out that gardner minshew looks like a young uncle rico

it bugs me that nobody in the mainstream media is acknowledging that gardner minshew looks like a young uncle rico

like who is paying for this coverup

bezos???

I mean he even went to Pullman which is 8 miles from the Idaho border

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
thank you browns and jets for making other teams feel a lot better about themselves

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Thought experiment: 32 Patrick Mahomes, each assigned to a team, or 32 Andy Reids, each assigned to a team. Which results in better offensive play?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Kalli posted:

Thought experiment: 32 Patrick Mahomes, each assigned to a team, or 32 Andy Reids, each assigned to a team. Which results in better offensive play?

andy reid's probably harder to bring down

because he's fat

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Play posted:

Yep, and the pickings have been real slim in some of those years.

2013: EJ Manuel, Geno Smith, Mike Glennon... the worst QB draft in history maybe

2014: Teddy Bridgewater, Johnny Manziel, Aaron Murray, AJ McCarron, Zach Mettenberger, Blake Bortles, Derek Carr, Tom Savage... several of these guys I only know from the AAF and they're all terrible besides Carr who is mediocre

2015: Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota, Brett Hundley, a bunch of nobodies... the results speak for themselves here, Hundley's been traded around teams, Mariota and Winston have been kept for lack of better options and because they are on their rookie deals. Never going to be more than mediocre

So that's a period of four years during which only three guys have been awarded new deals as franchise quarterback, and they all came from 2016. When it takes that long to get a single franchise quarterback for a single team, no surprise we're running low now that the olds are dying

I mean we should take it back further. Purposely stopping before Rodgers and Alex Smith who are certifiable old men. There's just such a derth of talent.

2011: Cam (RIP) and The Andy Dalton Line
2010: Bradford had a minute
2009: Stafford
2008: Matt Ryan
2007: The Jamarcus Russell Dead Zone
2006: Smoking Jay Cutler

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Kalli posted:

The only thing coming down is all the local rib joints in the towns they visit after all the Andy's visits ribmaps.com

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Also I'm pretty sure in the world of 32 x Tim Tebows vs 32 x Brian Schottenheimers, we'd get better play out of the Teebsters.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

There are apparently 10 worse teams than the Jets by DVOA including the Chargers, Steelers and the Saints.

We’re still in it baby.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

fsif posted:

Maybe some pedantry on my part here, but "some decent options here" strikes me as quite the undersell.

Maybe you're right, but given Wentz's injury history, Goff's seeming dependency on McVay's scheme and Dak's quarterback play leading up to this season, it's a little early to proclaim anything. That being said, all three of those guys have received or are about to receive new contracts, putting them on a higher level than anyone else in all those years I covered

Kalli posted:

Mahomes. I believe he could succeed to a certain level no matter what team he was on. Andy is a great play caller but we saw in the Alex Smith years that even he can't force a mediocre quarterback to win playoff games. Meanwhile, put Mahomes on the Bills (for example) and they're a playoff team right away, maybe even better

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Maaaaaybe one of those losses was even partially Alex Smith's fault, dude (home vs. Pittsburgh). The rest he scored 44 points and then everyone on offense except him and the shambling animated corpse of Dwayne Bowe died; the magnum opus of the Andy Reid Clock Management Experience; and Mariota2Mariota where fate would not be denied (also: forward progress my rear end).

Smith was not the problem in those games.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Alex Smith May have won a super bowl if that punt hadn’t been muffed

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Thanks thread for reminding me we live in a world where people thought it was a good idea to draft E.J. Manuel with a mid-first round pick

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

N: https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1173780967342989318

V: Steelers giving up a potential top 5 pick for a slot corner that needs work. I approve.

I mean he doesn't really need work as a slot corner, he was arguably the best in the NFL as a rookie and is maybe the best screen defender in the NFL.

The question is how do you get him on the field on a position whose presence on the field is dictated by offensive formation choice(and the answer cannot apparently be a position that has a gap responsibility in the run game)

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strobe posted:

Maaaaaybe one of those losses was even partially Alex Smith's fault, dude (home vs. Pittsburgh). The rest he scored 44 points and then everyone on offense except him and the shambling animated corpse of Dwayne Bowe died; the magnum opus of the Andy Reid Clock Management Experience; and Mariota2Mariota where fate would not be denied (also: forward progress my rear end).

Smith was not the problem in those games.

Okay, so then responsibility falls to Reid as the head coach and the overall point (that Mahomes would bring more to most teams than Reid) stands

It's a pretty dumb hypothetical though. Unless anyone ACTUALLY has access to an illegal chinese cloning vat, in which case I'd say Mahomes deserves to be first in line among all humans

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Play posted:

Okay, so then responsibility falls to Reid as the head coach and the overall point (that Mahomes would bring more to most teams than Reid) stands

It's a pretty dumb hypothetical though. Unless anyone ACTUALLY has access to an illegal chinese cloning vat, in which case I'd say Mahomes deserves to be first in line among all humans

Even then, the loss against the Patriots is the only one I'd characterize as Andy's fault. How do you coach your way out of "Andrew Luck FUMBLE recovered by Andrew Luck for a TOUCHDOWN" and "Marcus Mariota pass short left to <who cares>, deflected, caught by Marcus Mariota for a TOUCHDOWN".

I'm not particularly superstitious but the inevitability of those plays working against all odds was loving heartbreaking.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strobe posted:

Even then, the loss against the Patriots is the only one I'd characterize as Andy's fault. How do you coach your way out of "Andrew Luck FUMBLE recovered by Andrew Luck for a TOUCHDOWN" and "Marcus Mariota pass short left to <who cares>, deflected, caught by Marcus Mariota for a TOUCHDOWN".

I'm not particularly superstitious but the inevitability of those plays working against all odds was loving heartbreaking.

He employed the wrong people to run his defenses because he's a kindhearted, loyal person. I thought that was understood on some level. Sure you can't stop the deflected pass maybe, but you can make a stop on the touchdown drives immediately preceding and following. Hell it's not a stretch to say that they very well may have won the super bowl last year if he had moved on from Sutton a bit earlier.

I can't believe I'm condemning a guy for being loyal and kind-hearted, but this is what football does to me

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Part of it is that in his formative head coaching years in Philly the defense was well handled by his friend Jim Johnson, who he just left alone. I think he tried the same with Sutton

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Its Rinaldo posted:

Alex Smith May have won a super bowl if that punt hadn’t been muffed

"Alex Smith would have won a super bowl if Ted Ginn had been healthy" is both an insanely funny sentence and a factually correct one

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

a neat cape posted:

I'm offended at the Philip omission

oops. Rivers is still good, but getting old :(

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Kalli posted:

Andy Reid because look what he did with Alex Smith lol. Mahomes would be handing off on some teams, or running for his life on others

dojokm
Sep 20, 2001

lots of qb talk forgetting about Elite™ Superbowl Champion Joe Flacco

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Speaking of future Hall of Famers it’s basically a prophecy that Luke Falk is the next goat.

https://twitter.com/ringer/status/1174094445303582722

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Dutchy posted:

"Alex Smith would have won a super bowl if Ted Ginn had been healthy" is both an insanely funny sentence and a factually correct one

Mark Sanchez would've won a super bowl if shonne greene had been healthy :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Mark Sanchez would've won a super bowl if shonne greene had been healthy :unsmith:

Would have been clowned on by Rodgers in the Super Bowl.