Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
I cant believe the Pats are going 16-0 again and putting up 30+ points on each team on their way there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
So the Dolphins traded away another starter, because a 102-10 point differential over the first 2 games wasn't enough I guess.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1173780967342989318?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

I really don't get this "We have to destroy the entire team to save it" philosophy. The Dolphins have mostly been mediocre to "normal" bad, not some kind of incredibad omnishambles. Teams that looked way worse than the 7-9 2018 Dolphins turned things around quickly without just burning everything to the ground.

code:
                   PF  Yds
Team Stats         10  384
Opp. Stats        102 1024
Lg Rank Offense    32   32
Lg Rank Defense    32   32
:wtc:

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I was looking up the betting line and spread for the Browns/Rams game. I expected the Rams to be a heavy favorite there, but they are currently drat near even on those odds. Though to be fair, one site that showed how people were betting had 93% of bets on the Rams spread at -1.5.

Do I not understand how they set those odds? Because Browns/Rams basically being a coinflip odds wise seems ludicrous to me. Was some oddsmaker drunk?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I think more than ever the general sentiment is that you need a decent QB to win at bare minimum in the modern NFL and that you almost certainly need to pick somewhere at least in the top 10 or higher to guarantee your best shot at getting one. So it is starting to lead to NBA style tanking, where you really want to pick super high up since the value of that one player on your franchise is so incredibly high.

The idea of picking a dude later to develop on the bench for a few years as a successor seems pretty dead. Off the top of my head the only young QBs playing in the last five years that weren't Top 15 picks are Dak and I guess now Lamar (who was still a first rounder).

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Zyla posted:

he would be a moderate upgrade at 2nd DB and way too loving expensive for the cap

Maybe I'm out of the loop but what CB the Patriots have besides Gilmore that would make Jalen loving Ramsey only a moderate upgrade?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I think more than ever the general sentiment is that you need a decent QB to win at bare minimum in the modern NFL and that you almost certainly need to pick somewhere at least in the top 10 or higher to guarantee your best shot at getting one. So it is starting to lead to NBA style tanking, where you really want to pick super high up since the value of that one player on your franchise is so incredibly high.

The idea of picking a dude later to develop on the bench for a few years as a successor seems pretty dead. Off the top of my head the only young QBs playing in the last five years that weren't Top 15 picks are Dak and I guess now Lamar (who was still a first rounder).

Yeah, but the Colts basically just took a year off to draft Luck, because it's easy to lose out when you... just start super bad backup QBs. The Dolphins on the other hand seem to be burning the team to the ground way beyond what's necessary to get the draft capital for a high 1st round QB.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Mystic Stylez posted:

Maybe I'm out of the loop but what CB the Patriots have besides Gilmore that would make Jalen loving Ramsey only a moderate upgrade?

CB is the Pats' deepest group, with 2-5 being JMac (#6 overall last year by PFF for whatever that's worth), Jon Jones (great slot they just extended), JC Jackson, and their rookie that has flashed.

So yea Ramsey would be an upgrade on any of them, but there's serious diminishing returns at that point since the group is so strong overall. OT is a much bigger need right now, or edge if we're just looking at the D

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

sean10mm posted:

So the Dolphins traded away another starter, because a 102-10 point differential over the first 2 games wasn't enough I guess.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1173780967342989318?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

I really don't get this "We have to destroy the entire team to save it" philosophy. The Dolphins have mostly been mediocre to "normal" bad, not some kind of incredibad omnishambles. Teams that looked way worse than the 7-9 2018 Dolphins turned things around quickly without just burning everything to the ground.

code:
                   PF  Yds

We’ve been in that 7-9 range for nearly 2 decades. At this point I think everyone just wants to try something different.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Except that the guy in charge of the rebuild has been with the team for twenty years, director of scouting since 2007 and GM for almost four years.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Brain Curry posted:

Except that the guy in charge of the rebuild has been with the team for twenty years, director of scouting since 2007 and GM for almost four years.

I have no idea how good or bad Grier is because I have no idea who he's actually "picked" over the course of his career because the power structure has been such a clusterfuck in Miami for so long :shrug:

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Brain Curry posted:

He got full control this off-season. My understanding is he had drafts starting in 2016, but the veteran/free agency side Mike Tannenbaum kept control over until he was "reassigned" out of power. I don't think you can really say much of anything about Grier- 2016 was a very good draft, though, but if anything he probably defers too much to his coaches.

They've also got Reggie McKenzie and Marvin Allen(who was the Chiefs director of college scouting during their build-up) in high positions of power.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Reggie Mckenzie was great at getting the Raiders out of cap hell, but christ the man could not draft other than the Carr/Mack/Gabe Jackson draft

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

I have no clue how good Grier really is. Howard was a great pick, Caroo was a debacle. Tunsil and Drake are both simultaneously good enough picks to be used to defend Grier, and mediocre enough to be traded away with no regrets.

I talk to people who have convinced themselves that everything they liked was Grier, everything they disliked was Tannenbaum and all the high draft picks are guaranteed to result in a better team. I tend to think there’s a million ways for the team to gently caress this up, and I’ll wait and see before I crown us 2022 champions.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

sean10mm posted:

Yeah, but the Colts basically just took a year off to draft Luck, because it's easy to lose out when you... just start super bad backup QBs. The Dolphins on the other hand seem to be burning the team to the ground way beyond what's necessary to get the draft capital for a high 1st round QB.

The Colts also had a pretty bad/thin roster besides Manning at the time. It was a time of vindication for Colts fans who had been decrying Chris Polian's drafts while nobody else believed the roster was bad.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Who gets benched for their backup first in their game: Tom Brady or Dak Prescott?

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Android Apocalypse posted:

Who gets benched for their backup first in their game: Tom Brady or Dak Prescott?

Tom Brady (with a broken thumb that puts him out of the season — not that I'm rooting for injury or anything)

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Sep 17, 2019

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Dolphins are reminding me of McDaniels in Denver, right down to the head coach being really petty about certain players.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Nosre posted:

CB is the Pats' deepest group, with 2-5 being JMac (#6 overall last year by PFF for whatever that's worth), Jon Jones (great slot they just extended), JC Jackson, and their rookie that has flashed.

So yea Ramsey would be an upgrade on any of them, but there's serious diminishing returns at that point since the group is so strong overall. OT is a much bigger need right now, or edge if we're just looking at the D

Good news!
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1173924977269202947?s=20

Larch
Dec 20, 2004

BEE LOVER

sean10mm posted:

code:
                   PF  Yds

I suppose I don't get it either, but it's kinda the right thing to do with super talented players when you're planning to waste a year or two.

Calvin Johnson, Barry Sanders, Stephen Jackson, so so many great players slaved away on losing teams that were always 'rebuilding'.

Let them go if you're tanking for the draft. Especially in the case of a multi year tank

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Dolphins are reminding me of McDaniels in Denver, right down to the head coach being really petty about certain players.

McDaniels won a game

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

wilderthanmild posted:

I was looking up the betting line and spread for the Browns/Rams game. I expected the Rams to be a heavy favorite there, but they are currently drat near even on those odds. Though to be fair, one site that showed how people were betting had 93% of bets on the Rams spread at -1.5.

Do I not understand how they set those odds? Because Browns/Rams basically being a coinflip odds wise seems ludicrous to me. Was some oddsmaker drunk?

Lines start at home team -3 by default. The Rams have uninspiring wins against Carolina and the Teddy Bridgewater-Saints. The Browns are 1-1 and still have a massive amount of preseason hype following them and showed flashes of their big play offense last night. The only way a road team gets over 3 points on the spread is if they are really blowing out teams or the home team is bottom of the barrel.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1173962343715418113?s=19

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
DANNNNNYYYY DIIIIIIMES

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The MNF schedule looks real loving bad.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Shorter leash than I would have expected.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
:rip: Eli, he never scored.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Send Eli and a 1st to the Jags for Ramsey

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
ESPN moved a bunch of teams that won this week down in their power rankings. Checks out.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Can't wait to watch a sandpaper enema on SNF

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Saving Eli the wear & tear so that when the Giants sneak into the playoffs he'll be rested to defeat the Patriots in Super Bowl LIV.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I fear my dream of a future where Brady/Brees retire before taking the TD record and Eli plays long enough to take the INT record is finally dead.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Luck retiring broke the seal and now all QBs must suffer.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Already?

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

I mean, he should have been starting 2 games ago

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
drat I want Eli to get the INT record

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Nodoze posted:

drat I want Eli to get the INT record

Eli's too boring to deserve that record. It will remain rightfully in the hands of the Funslinger.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Reposting cause at least something funny came from all this.

Pittsburgh Doctor Claims Antonio Brown Repeatedly Farted In His Face, Owes Him $11,500

quote:

“It seemed just childish to me,” Prisk told Sports Illustrated. “I’m a doctor and this man is farting in my face.”

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

He's loving awful. Seriously, I think he was in the top 5 worst rated lineman in the league last year.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/1173961282590072832

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

SKULL.GIF posted:

Eli's too boring to deserve that record. It will remain rightfully in the hands of the Funslinger.

2 counter points:

Peyton TD record, Eli INT record is hilarious
Imagine it happening and a little graphic is plays showing he just broke the record while he makes that Eli Manning face.