Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
I was considering a Macan for a while for my wife and I but eventually got too worried about the PDK and engine. I ended up in a Giulia though so I don't know maybe I'm just an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Anecdotal, but our base Macan has been completely trouble free and we passed 20k km. We specifically wanted the little 2.0 though for maintenance and reliability reasons.

Combined with a durametric, our annual maintenance costs are drat near zero. Only thing on the horizon is the PDK fluid every 60k I think.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

McTinkerson posted:

Anecdotal, but our base Macan has been completely trouble free and we passed 20k km. We specifically wanted the little 2.0 though for maintenance and reliability reasons.

Combined with a durametric, our annual maintenance costs are drat near zero. Only thing on the horizon is the PDK fluid every 60k I think.

Ditto. Other than the turbo, ours has been trouble free.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
How do the smaller engine Macans drive? Like any other small SUV, or do they feel more sporty?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Our benchmark for driving dynamics was a RX-8 and the Macan definitely delivers. It does not drive like an SUV. We did check the PASM and Sport Chrono boxes (factory launch control) though. The factory 90% rear bias AWD also makes a huge difference.

Edit: 3900lbs and 250hp is more than enough for fun. Plus we can go WOT more often with the little 2L.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 30, 2019

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Make sense. I just wish you didn't have to pay for every single option. It's the Porsche Tax and I get it, but I feel like you can have a $50k base Macan as easily as you can see an $80k base Macan.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

McTinkerson posted:

We did check the PASM

PASM is amazingly good.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Motronic posted:

PASM is amazingly good.

Replacement Bilstein dampers aren't even that expensive! Fronts for the Macan are $360 each and the rears are $160 each. So PASM even long term from a maintenance perspective isn't prohibitive.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

TheFonz posted:

How do the smaller engine Macans drive? Like any other small SUV, or do they feel more sporty?

Pretty great to be honest. The steering/drive is what sold my wife on it over the X3/Q5/etc, and she typically doesn't care. From my perspective, the steering feels much more direct than the competition with significantly less body roll. Sometimes I wish we had gone for the S, but again, it's my wife's car and it's plenty. The pdk shifts are super fast in any case.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
The S was tons of fun but had tons of turbo lag type feeling. I could never tell if it was the PDK being gentle or extra smooth but more than once I had to floor it when it just didn't start accelerating when trying to get across an intersection. After having a CX9 with the 2.5 turbo, the new CX5 with that same engine would be a very worthy budget Macan because that engine is feisty as hell.

The Macan is really an impressive sport hatchback, especially with PASM and air suspension.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jymmybob posted:

The S was tons of fun but had tons of turbo lag type feeling. I could never tell if it was the PDK being gentle or extra smooth but more than once I had to floor it when it just didn't start accelerating when trying to get across an intersection. After having a CX9 with the 2.5 turbo, the new CX5 with that same engine would be a very worthy budget Macan because that engine is feisty as hell.

The Macan is really an impressive sport hatchback, especially with PASM and air suspension.

Double tap that accelerator. It will start it in first instead of second.

Works the same on the highway to shift down 2 gears.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I drove a slightly used S and the interior was just so incredibly nice with the extended tan leather - however it just didn't feel as special as I expected, quick but nothing crazy. Maybe because I drove it immediately after a 997 S manual. I need to check out the turbo at some point.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Voltage posted:

I drove a slightly used S and the interior was just so incredibly nice with the extended tan leather - however it just didn't feel as special as I expected, quick but nothing crazy. Maybe because I drove it immediately after a 997 S manual. I need to check out the turbo at some point.

They're just not all that special so I get it. What you typically get besides the motor is the higher trim package you YMMV on what this is....just a bit more or all the way.

In any case, it's still not a special car. It's production.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Motronic posted:

Is this something for gas mileage like skip shift on Corvettes? I honestly hadn't considered any Porsche would default to 2nd gear when starting from a stop.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MomJeans420 posted:

Is this something for gas mileage like skip shift on Corvettes? I honestly hadn't considered any Porsche would default to 2nd gear when starting from a stop.

It's honestly a lot more comfortable/fewer shifts for daily driving. Most of the Porsche autos I've driven will start in first when 1.) cold or 2.) if you are in sport/PSM off 3.) double tap or get all the way into the throttle from a stop.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

It wasn't every time but like 1/20 it would just not do anything even when floored once it started rolling. I can't test it now but it was incredibly disconcerting.

It wasn't a special car but it was certainly class-leading in almost everything at release.The 18-way sport seats were the most amazing seats I've ever sat in.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jymmybob posted:

It wasn't every time but like 1/20 it would just not do anything even when floored once it started rolling. I can't test it now but it was incredibly disconcerting.

That is so incredibly disconcerting I'm sure you were in a bad example of one that needed a software update or legit repair.

zhel
Aug 2, 2010

I'm looking to get a 2017 CPO Panamera(4) in a couple of months. Other than the recalls being done (which I would assume CPO already covered) is there anything else to look for? I haven't seen a lot of issues but the 971 is still relatively young.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Replaced the master brake cylinder in my Spyder with the one from the GT3 and holy poo poo what a difference. I don't know why they released it without it.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Porsche is covering the turbo replacement on my wife's out-of-warranty-by-mileage-but-not-time Macan.

:toot:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Residency Evil posted:

Porsche is covering the turbo replacement on my wife's out-of-warranty-by-mileage-but-not-time Macan.

:toot:

That's some good goodwill.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Posh af, grats man

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

meatpimp posted:

That's some good goodwill.

thechalkoutline posted:

Posh af, grats man

Yeah gotta say it's pretty great of them. This thing has been pretty solid otherwise.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Yeah, that is pretty darn good. Congrats.

I guess that's a good way to try to promote some brand loyalty.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

That's a no brainer from a customer service perspective imo, will likely cement you buying another Porsche in the future.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Russian Bear posted:

That's a no brainer from a customer service perspective imo, will likely cement you buying another Porsche in the future.

I'm sure it helps that he owns two right now. But yeah......they need to be doing this kind of goodwill to keep people in the brand who are willing to buy new and new-ish cars. (I buy old crap so they don't give a poo poo)

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Turbo in the Macan replaced! :toot:

The right side marker light went out/made the car throw an error. I thought I'd be clever and replace both sides with the led equivalent. Now, I have two working lights and two errors. :suicide:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

Turbo in the Macan replaced! :toot:

The right side marker light went out/made the car throw an error. I thought I'd be clever and replace both sides with the led equivalent. Now, I have two working lights and two errors. :suicide:

Yeah....don't replace modern (even modern-ish) porsche incandescents with LEDs, ever. It simply doesn't work with their bulb out detection.

I had to completely isolate my trailer lights/plug from the normal wiring of the trailer plug on the cayenne when I got a trailer with LEDs because it would freak out and throw errors every time.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Motronic posted:

Yeah....don't replace modern (even modern-ish) porsche incandescents with LEDs, ever. It simply doesn't work with their bulb out detection.

I had to completely isolate my trailer lights/plug from the normal wiring of the trailer plug on the cayenne when I got a trailer with LEDs because it would freak out and throw errors every time.

Is there a brand that's safe/works? Seems silly to get them from a dealer.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

Is there a brand that's safe/works? Seems silly to get them from a dealer.

They are originally incandescent, right? Anything should work fine (but OEM is most likely Osram).

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Motronic posted:

I have literally updated all 3 of my near modern porsches with LED's inside and out. its fine, you just have to use the right ones. you can order them from suncoast porsche at https://www.suncoastparts.com

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Arione posted:

I have literally updated all 3 of my near modern porsches with LED's inside and out. its fine, you just have to use the right ones. you can order them from suncoast porsche at https://www.suncoastparts.com

I wasn't aware that Suncoast went through to find the magic sauce resistor LEDs that will work, but that's not terribly surprising I suppose. Still seems like much ado over very little benefit. Especially when you have some porsche housings that will fog in some climates without the heat of an incandescent to drive the moisture out. (yes, this is documented, by Porsche)

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
Yesterday I picked up a 2006 Cayenne S for a song (5k), but it has a few bugs. Do y’all happen to know:

- what is the likely cause of the center info panel appearing as it does in this picture? If I squint reeeeallly hard I can see some text but dim or bright it stays the same.

- fuel capacity gauge isn’t moving. My obd sensor and app show mpg in progress but not capacity (actually not sure about capacity in the app, I haven’t had time to find the pid for it).

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0xJRveFpJPJRbd

Thanks much!

pipebomb fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 6, 2019

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

pipebomb posted:

Yesterday I picked up a 2006 Cayenne S for a song (5k), but it has a few bugs. Do y’all happen to know:

- what is the likely cause of the center info panel appearing as it does in this picture? If I squint reeeeallly hard I can see some text but dim or bright it stays the same.

- fuel capacity gauge isn’t moving. My obd sensor and app show mpg in progress but not capacity (actually not sure about capacity in the app, I haven’t had time to find the pid for it).

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0xJRveFpJPJRbd

Thanks much!

I don't have the LCD style in mine, but it's pretty well known that the one you have just goes bad. Lots of info here: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/cayenne-955-957/272873-fading-multi-function-display-lots-info.html

There is no PID for tank level (I think that's what you mean when you are saying capacity). You need to check if you are getting voltage at the tank level sensor (easiest) and if so dig into the dash to see if it's the gauge itself or the wiring in between.

You also want to check if your coolant pipes have been upgraded: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010/550109-plastic-or-aluminum-coolant-pipes-how-to-tell-without-intake-removal.html

The only other thing to watch is the front drive shaft carrier bearing mount. The factory one seems to be poo poo. If it sounds like midgets are running around in your center console and it changes with road speed you want to pull over immediately and get it towed. If it lets loose it will junk a lot of expensive things (I believe some have holed the transfer case). Easy to inspect with the pans off, and you can replace the entire shaft as an assembly (most expensive option), remove and replace just the carrier support/bearing (difficult) all the way down to drilling out a reasonably working one and filling it up with window weld. I believe I recall a post where someone had a completely junked one, cut up pieces of garden hose sip tied them together/in place and then filled it with window weld. Points for ingenuity, but I would have replaced it. This is what you're looking for (and hoping not to see):

Other than that they are pretty solid. I run the hell out of mine, including towing a 7k lb dump trailer with material or equipment on it regularly.

E: caveat that applies to most anything of that era, porsche included: the coil are basically maintenance parts. If you get 90k miles out of them you're doing good. The newer revisions seem to be better. If you're getting multiple and/or random misfire codes you're gonna want to shotgun all 8. You can find OEM ones for way cheaper than from the usual suspects (Pelican, etc). Do the pugs at the same time. Plugs should be done every 90k or so as well.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Sep 6, 2019

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
Garden hose. Ffs. 😬

I found this for the lcd: https://www.taninautoelectronix.com/product/tae-2004-2010-volkswagen-touareg-porsche-cayenne-amber-lcd-screen/

Thanks for the tips, much appreciated.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

pipebomb posted:

Garden hose. Ffs. 😬

Yeah, it was quite a bodge. As i recall it had entirely ripped out like in the pic I posted and the "real" fix was window weld (which is totally legit - most pre-runners are mostly held together with window weld) but the garden hose provided the needed centering/structure to lay it down and cure.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
4-1/2 years later and my Boxster is up for sale in the Bay Area. :(
Up-to-date on nearly everything, the car has been well-taken care of but also worked like the sports car it is (lots of AutoX with the local PCA). Needs a new rear glass sewn in and I don't want to DIY that so the price reflects that at $4.5K. I could probably do a little better if a Goon or a friend-of-Goon was interested.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/oakland-1999-porsche-boxster-forest/6979605007.html

EDIT:

McMadCow fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 18, 2019

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

McMadCow posted:

4-1/2 years later and my Boxster is up for sale in the Bay Area. :(
Up-to-date on nearly everything, the car has been well-taken care of but also worked like the sports car it is (lots of AutoX with the local PCA). Needs a new rear glass sewn in and I don't want to DIY that so the price reflects that at $4.5K. I could probably do a little better if a Goon or a friend-of-Goon was interested.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/oakland-1999-porsche-boxster-forest/6979605007.html

EDIT:

Hold on to it until August. I'll be in Oakland and drive it back to Ohio.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

meatpimp posted:

Hold on to it until August. I'll be in Oakland and drive it back to Ohio.

You mean as in next August because this August just ended 17 days ago? Sadly, I can't do that because just like every other person in the Bay Area with a career in the Arts, I'm leaving. The car has to go before then. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Friend of a friend finally finished what's basically his version of a Singer. I don't think all the info is in one spot, but there's details of the build here, then pictures of the finished product on his Instagram.