Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
You fancy Americans and your "flight following..."

We just step all over each other on 126.7 and try to understand the unintelligible bullshit spewed by the students at the school that has a contract with the Chinese government or something, and that's the way we likes it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

e.pilot posted:

The 747 actually does :smugdon:

On the old three crew models you'd use the flight engineer's seatback & jump seat seatback as steps. Dunno what you do with the new one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y5lNVbBeiU

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Greased my first landing :toot: (second lesson, instructor was hands off). Nailing the speeds made it seem like not a big deal. Was worried I was going to bounce it on the first attempt.

Also, went to the ophthalmologist and I passed the color plates there and tested 20/15 and 20/20 vs 20/20 and 20/30 at the AME. :v:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Anyone here have any Allegiant experience? I may make them my backup plan for if things don’t change here soon. I’m getting close to their requirements, I wouldn’t have to move far and it would only take a year to get back to the pay area I want to be in.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Allegiant is an investment in not only an airline, but a base. You don't want to commute on allegiant, but if you want to live in one of their big permanent bases it's probably one of the best jobs in aviation for people that value qol over the biggest paycheck. I commute on them regularly and everyone seems pretty happy (for pilots).

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

greasyhands posted:

Allegiant is an investment in not only an airline, but a base. You don't want to commute on allegiant, but if you want to live in one of their big permanent bases it's probably one of the best jobs in aviation for people that value qol over the biggest paycheck. I commute on them regularly and everyone seems pretty happy (for pilots).

Sweet! I think getting in with them and being in AVL would be the break I need to give 135/91 a giant middle finger for the rest of my life.

Hell even saying that felt good.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
If this were an instructor-focused thread alone, I'd suggest the title changes to "situational awareness continues to need work."

It was one of those days.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I'd vote for "right rudder, right rudder, right rudder...my airplane!"

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

PT6A posted:

If this were an instructor-focused thread alone, I'd suggest the title changes to "situational awareness continues to need work."

It was one of those days.

I wish I could read my instructor to instructor notes.

I imagine they're like 'a+ student, great situational awareness, fantastic stick and rudder except for occasionally ballooning, very funny jokes, handsome fellow'. Right?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

azflyboy posted:

“Okay, so what went wrong on that one?”

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

azflyboy posted:

checkinstructor.txt

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

azflyboy posted:

"right rudder, right rudder, right rudder...my airplane!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eopl5QLQ5zs

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

I wish I could read my instructor to instructor notes.

I imagine they're like 'a+ student, great situational awareness, fantastic stick and rudder except for occasionally ballooning, very funny jokes, handsome fellow'. Right?

You can certainly ask. Typically, the notes shouldn't contain anything that your instructor has not already told you in debriefs and such, and the good stuff should go in there too in addition to the things you need to work on.

Besides, your instructor(s) felt confident enough with you to sign you off for solo after... two months? That's not typical in my experience, and it means you're probably a pretty drat proficient student with adequate situational awareness for this stage of training. It doesn't happen overnight, but it certainly sounds like you're well on track. Don't go getting a big head 'cause I say this, but: that's, sadly, not normal, you are probably above average. I have students I've been flying with for a year, and I still don't feel fully comfortable signing them out solo on any given day because I don't know if they're going to do some dumb poo poo without realizing it, or skip an important checklist step or whatever.

Also, in terms of things I grow sick of explaining to my students: we have checklists and procedures so we don't have to be superhuman pilots with excellent memories. Don't try to wow me by showing you don't need the checklist, impress me by demonstrating you can effectively use the tools at your disposal to help you manage the aircraft, such as... the checklists.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Christ. Is that what it looks like when you don't compensate for the left-turning tendencies at all? And here I am beating myself up over the nose twitching like five degrees when I go full throttle.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Excuse me, but that airplane is from Embry Riddle, The Harvard of Aviation, so that was completely on purpose to demonstrate something for lesser pilots.

Actually, the pilot probably just saw a woman and was so confused that they forgot how to flare.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Gliding training is going well! I had the sky to myself yesterday and had my longest flight so far. Even got some thermalling done.

Also barfed, despite all the precautions taken, which was a first. Hopefully tolerance comes soon.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

azflyboy posted:

Excuse me, but that airplane is from Embry Riddle, The Harvard of Aviation, so that was completely on purpose to demonstrate something for lesser pilots.

Actually, the pilot probably just saw a woman and was so confused that they forgot how to flare.

Poor ol ERAU, thought of women and died.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Called the ATIS in the morning, variable at 3 knots, beautiful clear sky with high cirrus

Got to the airport, 320 at 10 knots -- only 20 degrees off the runway, nice, plane leaps right off the ground

Did one lap in the pattern and on landing noticed some real wonky wind shear, wind sock sticking out pretty straight, "huh that is a LOT of rudder to keep this thing lined up," "also that should be a right crosswind so why am I pointing left"

Got it on the ground reasonably well, taxiing off, tower calls "information whiskey is now current, winds 230 at 12"

WELP a 90 degree wind shift to 70 degrees off the runway over the course of 6 minutes, that'll do it. My solo endorsement is only for 9kt component so 0.3 hours and 1 landing in the logbook, button up the plane and drive home.

Oh well! The chief pilot told me once "it's much better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than the other way around" and I think that's pretty smart.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Sep 16, 2019

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

azflyboy posted:

While I can confirm that "Riddle Vision" is very much a thing it usually doesn't manifest in that way. It's more likely the student would make a bad top gun reference such as "Requesting permission to buzz HER tower."* As you can tell the typical riddle student is about as successful at attracting women as they are at landing airplanes.

*This is an actual quote one of my students made about an FBO employee within earshot of half a dozen strangers.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Carth Dookie posted:

Gliding training is going well! I had the sky to myself yesterday and had my longest flight so far. Even got some thermalling done.

Also barfed, despite all the precautions taken, which was a first. Hopefully tolerance comes soon.

This is cool, I wanna fly gliders. What made you throw up, the bumps and sudden changes in altitude?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Flying a cool glider around and throwing up still sounds like a net gain to me.

I really need to get back in a 182 or something. The falcon is awesome to fly but I miss that old stick and rudder VFR flying.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Animal posted:

This is cool, I wanna fly gliders. What made you throw up, the bumps and sudden changes in altitude?

Heat (hotter day than I'd experienced so far) combined with dizziness from constant banking in a bumpy thermal. I tried to stay hydrated which might have been the exact wrong move as the few sips of water reminded my brain that I had a digestive system and then :barf:

Could have been worse. In time I'll have an iron stomach. Still the longest flight so far and probably the most adverse conditions for my guts to handle till now, so net improvement overall. My total flying time is like 2 hours only anyway, so considering that, my tolerance has improved from my first flight where I felt very ill in perfectly still and calm conditions, and the aerotow doesn't bother me at all anymore.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 16, 2019

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

Called the ATIS in the morning, variable at 3 knots, beautiful clear sky with high cirrus

Got to the airport, 320 at 10 knots -- only 20 degrees off the runway, nice, plane leaps right off the ground

Did one lap in the pattern and on landing noticed some real wonky wind shear, wind sock sticking out pretty straight, "huh that is a LOT of rudder to keep this thing lined up," "also that should be a right crosswind so why am I pointing left"

Got it on the ground reasonably well, taxiing off, tower calls "information whiskey is now current, winds 230 at 12"

WELP a 90 degree wind shift to 70 degrees off the runway over the course of 6 minutes, that'll do it. My solo endorsement is only for 9kt component so 0.3 hours and 1 landing in the logbook, button up the plane and drive home.

Oh well! The chief pilot told me once "it's much better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than the other way around" and I think that's pretty smart.

Good job, you have done a pilot decision making.

In all honesty I wish I could see this calibre of decision making and situational awareness on any given day. You noticed the winds were affecting your aircraft differently than the winds had been reported! You took new information and decided how to fly within the limits of your skill and the legal requirements of your flight school! It's still a bit poo poo, but 0.3 hours in the logbook that actually taxed your judgement is worth 3 hours spent drilling holes in the sky, and you made the right choice.

I don't want to be all dramatic and poo poo, but recognizing when the weather is over your limits, either legal or self-imposed, is a skill that will literally save your life. Aviation is great, but it ain't risk-free, and learning to make those good decisions, even when it's a pain in the rear end, is crucial. That's worth more than a few touch-and-gos.

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

PT6A posted:

actually taxed your judgement is worth 3 hours spent drilling holes in the sky, and you made the right choice.

Had this happen a month ago. Went out to the practice area, scattered cover was supposed to burn off, but instead kept closing in and getting lower so I called after about 10 minutes. Got home kind of disappointed but my wife hit me with the "that sounds like it was not the day you planned but maybe an even better use of your time"

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
Anyone here work for Abex Air, e.g. Amazon Prime Airlines? I keep getting emails to apply and I don't know if it's worthwhile or if I'm going to hate life even worse there, than as as a regional jet captain now :shepicide:

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

PT6A posted:

You can certainly ask. Typically, the notes shouldn't contain anything that your instructor has not already told you in debriefs and such, and the good stuff should go in there too in addition to the things you need to work on.

Besides, your instructor(s) felt confident enough with you to sign you off for solo after... two months? That's not typical in my experience, and it means you're probably a pretty drat proficient student with adequate situational awareness for this stage of training. It doesn't happen overnight, but it certainly sounds like you're well on track. Don't go getting a big head 'cause I say this, but: that's, sadly, not normal, you are probably above average. I have students I've been flying with for a year, and I still don't feel fully comfortable signing them out solo on any given day because I don't know if they're going to do some dumb poo poo without realizing it, or skip an important checklist step or whatever.

Also, in terms of things I grow sick of explaining to my students: we have checklists and procedures so we don't have to be superhuman pilots with excellent memories. Don't try to wow me by showing you don't need the checklist, impress me by demonstrating you can effectively use the tools at your disposal to help you manage the aircraft, such as... the checklists.

Don't worry, I don't have a big head at all about flying. It's pretty humbling, and seems like the kind of thing that will stay that way for literally ever.

I'm thinking about *efforting* my schools checklist into some electronic format, because there are a few things missing from the checklist, a few things out of order and I'd really love the ability to cross off steps instead of just following along with my finger. I'm not using an EFB, and haven't thought too hard about picking one, but all the standalone checklist apps seem really awful, so might do that (even if I don't use it for anything beyond checklists/backup info).

I've talked over the missing and out of order things with instructors, they're all super minor, but it's kind of annoying to run the checklist and hit "clearance, nope, not yet we'll come back 5 steps to that when we taxi over there". Or the time I left all the lights and pitot heat on because the checklist didn't say to turn them off :ohdear:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Don't worry, I don't have a big head at all about flying. It's pretty humbling, and seems like the kind of thing that will stay that way for literally ever.

I'm thinking about *efforting* my schools checklist into some electronic format, because there are a few things missing from the checklist, a few things out of order and I'd really love the ability to cross off steps instead of just following along with my finger. I'm not using an EFB, and haven't thought too hard about picking one, but all the standalone checklist apps seem really awful, so might do that (even if I don't use it for anything beyond checklists/backup info).

I've talked over the missing and out of order things with instructors, they're all super minor, but it's kind of annoying to run the checklist and hit "clearance, nope, not yet we'll come back 5 steps to that when we taxi over there". Or the time I left all the lights and pitot heat on because the checklist didn't say to turn them off :ohdear:

Yeah, all our printed checklists have in the run-up section:

Magnetos... CHECK
Mixture... CHECK
(Maximum 125 RPM Drop, 50RPM Difference)

One line out of order, and I'd say the mixture check is the most-skipped item as a result.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Butt Reactor posted:

Anyone here work for Abex Air, e.g. Amazon Prime Airlines? I keep getting emails to apply and I don't know if it's worthwhile or if I'm going to hate life even worse there, than as as a regional jet captain now :shepicide:

I’m at Atlas and ehhhh

e: feel free to PM me if you'd like

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 16, 2019

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Chicago layover coming up. Might head to Northerly Island and cry.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

AWSEFT posted:

Chicago layover coming up. Might head to Northerly Island and cry.

Hey, it's a nice park and concert venue now!

But seriously gently caress Daley and his cronies for destroying that airport, it's not like we're making anymore of those. PM me and if I'm in town we'll grab some beer and cry together.

Also, sent you a PM e.pilot

Butt Reactor fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 17, 2019

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

After I posted that mini-rant about the pattern being closed all the time and the phone number for the ATIS, and some people here said "that's really weird for a tower to just close their VFR pattern work and without a NOTAM or anything," the pattern has been open every time I've gone flying and I haven't heard any more references to closures. I don't know if it's just a coincidence or if someone, like, ratted them out to the FAA :tinfoil:

I'm sorry if that happened, tower guys! I was just venting!

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

After I posted that mini-rant about the pattern being closed all the time and the phone number for the ATIS, and some people here said "that's really weird for a tower to just close their VFR pattern work and without a NOTAM or anything," the pattern has been open every time I've gone flying and I haven't heard any more references to closures. I don't know if it's just a coincidence or if someone, like, ratted them out to the FAA :tinfoil:

I'm sorry if that happened, tower guys! I was just venting!

Or they're in the thread :ohdear:

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Got turned off of a practice ILS today in Montgomery due to the tower extending its pattern to close to the glideslope. I was on glideslope and was immediately vectored off to a downwind....a 15 mile downwind. Then vectored through final twice and given a speed restriction. Pretty fun day!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Today was my favourite day of the year: do 5 night takeoffs and landings solo to get night-current again, all by myself, on the company's dime! I miss the "flying by myself" aspect of training compared with working.

Boy, the 172S climbs like mad when you're all alone.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Sagebrush posted:

I had one day where I had to get current with my instructor just before a planned cross country and, in 4 laps in the pattern (I heard a faint stall warning horn blast on short final on lap 3, said gently caress it, and instantly did a go around), the winds went from about a 30 degree 5 knot crosswind to a 60 degree 10 knot crosswind with higher gusts. We had 2100 RPM in on final on the final lap.

Needless to say, I canceled for that day, but I felt much better doing so when another instructor, who liked to push the limits a bit, said he was going home and taking a nap.

KodiakRS posted:

While I can confirm that "Riddle Vision" is very much a thing it usually doesn't manifest in that way. It's more likely the student would make a bad top gun reference such as "Requesting permission to buzz HER tower."* As you can tell the typical riddle student is about as successful at attracting women as they are at landing airplanes.

*This is an actual quote one of my students made about an FBO employee within earshot of half a dozen strangers.

I went to Worldwide, but occasionally use the gym on the Daytona campus as an alumni benefit if I'm in town. Riddle Vision isn't as bad as it used to be.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I'm checked out to teach at my local flying club, flew a T-41C, 172R, and a PA28, all that's left is the 177RG :toot:

Turns out I can still fly an airplane pretty okay.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

e.pilot posted:

I'm checked out to teach at my local flying club, flew a T-41C, 172R, and a PA28, all that's left is the 177RG :toot:

Fun fact: The "RG" in 177RG doesn't stand for retractable gear. It's an homage to Rube Goldberg because the retraction and extension system was inspired by his machines.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

KodiakRS posted:

Fun fact: The "RG" in 177RG doesn't stand for retractable gear. It's an homage to Rube Goldberg because the retraction and extension system was inspired by his machines.

I love little random tidbits like this. Delta's first A321 is N301DV, a reference to Dave Vorgias, who was I guess instrumental to Delta's test program in bringing the plane to its fleet. It was re-registered from N301DN after Vorgias died not long after they took their first 321.

USAir had a 757 registered as N625VJ, which differed from the rest of their 757s that ended in "AU". VJ was the suffix on all of Allegheny's DC-9s, which were nicknamed Vista Jets. (N6##US largely wasn't available because they were on Northwest's 747 classics; at one point, NW's two letter code was US.)

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

KodiakRS posted:

I am all too familiar with Cessna RG problems.
This was my CFI check ride :madmax:

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Where else can you buy an aircraft that will provide such valuable training to both pilots and mechanics?