Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

xtal posted:

Maybe there's a better thread for this, but I have a friend who works in HR and they want to use their people skills to get hired as a social engineer. Does anyone have recommendations for certifications, courses or must-read books, or other tips about how to get a job doing soceng? They've already read the books by Hadnagy and Mitnick.

I feel that doing social engineering is a part of doing pen-testing stuff, rather than a job unto itself, or at least I've never come across it scouring for security jobs/titles. I could be wrong though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Defenestrategy posted:

I feel that doing social engineering is a part of doing pen-testing stuff, rather than a job unto itself, or at least I've never come across it scouring for security jobs/titles. I could be wrong though.

I think it’s called espionage.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Find a grifter, if they can convince you they're worth hiring despite their complete lack of qualifications, they can probably talk their way into anywhere.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

I think it’s called espionage.

Oh.

According to an FBI guy that came and gave a talk to the InfoSec department at my school; The Chinese are scouring college campuses for people like us(IT/CS nerds), and they'll give you tuition assistance, and a stipend to grab any kind of government/dod contractor job, also that they'll bribe you with northwards of 250k to pass on information, but that was being a cheap date and you should ask for more.

What I'm saying is the Chinese seem to be way kinder to american entry level college grads than American companies.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I mean, I’m not recommending against it.

I will say that HR people skills don’t seem like the kind that suit themselves well to soceng. Everyone always knows when the HR person is lying, they just can’t do anything about it.

You want someone in sales or private equity or Congress.

Shuu
Aug 19, 2005

Wow!

Defenestrategy posted:

Yeah, the only people who do social engineering or physical security that I've seen are also pentesters. Unfortunately that area is super saturated; when I did campus recruiting for my security engineering team probably 95% of the people looking for security jobs wanted to be pentesters. The media tends to portray the sexy side of red teaming (or the .01% of people like Mitnick who are super specialized), but not so much the hard technical skills, report writing, and miserable consulting lifestyle that come with it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Yeah, when you tell interns that Red Teaming is mostly documentation and report writing with some cool exploitation mixed in, they tend to get a little less interested.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Man, I would so sign up for that if I weren't disabled. I wrote documentation, and I think this sort of thing is fun.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, when you tell interns that Red Teaming is mostly documentation and report writing with some cool exploitation mixed in, they tend to get a little less interested.

LoL. Now imagine trying to get people into vulnerability management consulting.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Defenestrategy posted:

According to an FBI guy that came and gave a talk to the InfoSec department at my school; The Chinese are scouring college campuses for people like us(IT/CS nerds), and they'll give you tuition assistance, and a stipend to grab any kind of government/dod contractor job, also that they'll bribe you with northwards of 250k to pass on information, but that was being a cheap date and you should ask for more.

What I'm saying is the Chinese seem to be way kinder to american entry level college grads than American companies.

Proving once again Bernie is right to push for free college education.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Man, I would so sign up for that if I weren't disabled. I wrote documentation, and I think this sort of thing is fun.

You should do it. Being disabled doesn't mean you cant be a pen tester.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CommieGIR posted:

You should do it. Being disabled doesn't mean you cant be a pen tester.

Depends on the disability, I imagine.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

Depends on the disability, I imagine.

True, but I wouldn't want someone feeling like they can't try it out.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

CommieGIR posted:

True, but I wouldn't want someone feeling like they can't try it out.

That's really kind and thoughtful of you. Unfortunately, my disability is a chronic pain disorder, not something that accessibility/adaptability aids will help.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

fyallm posted:

I have a vacancy open for vendor babysitting. It’s a tough sell.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Arsenic Lupin posted:

That's really kind and thoughtful of you. Unfortunately, my disability is a chronic pain disorder, not something that accessibility/adaptability aids will help.

What do you do for work right now? Are you IT? If so: There's no reason you can't do the more technical side and documentation side of Pen Testing.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

CommieGIR posted:

What do you do for work right now? Are you IT? If so: There's no reason you can't do the more technical side and documentation side of Pen Testing.

There will be customers who do not want physical presence pen testing to be part of it (for whatever reason), and there are plenty of garbage firms that just run automated scanning tools and call it a day.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

CommieGIR posted:

It's even worse. You might have gotten into some really odd places or installed a pi in a network jack in the meeting room but you have to word the document in a way that does not come across as creepy even when you stating the facts.

"We were able to convince the secretary to buzz us through the east wing and was then able to install a remote admin server in the baby nursing room" is not what you want to put down at all even though it is WHAT you did. You might change "nursing room" to Room-342B but everyone reading the report knows what room that is and a stranger was in there doing things.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

EVIL Gibson posted:

It's even worse. You might have gotten into some really odd places or installed a pi in a network jack in the meeting room but you have to word the document in a way that does not come across as creepy even when you stating the facts.

"We were able to convince the secretary to buzz us through the east wing and was then able to install a remote admin server in the baby nursing room" is not what you want to put down at all even though it is WHAT you did. You might change "nursing room" to Room-342B but everyone reading the report knows what room that is and a stranger was in there doing things.

Documentation is critical, I had an engagement where we both slipped past the secretary and got into a sensitive area, we managed to GUESS the root password to the DB server. Extensive photos and documentation for both (very flat network). They didn't believe us when we told them until we pointed at the specific captures/images in the exit meeting.

They got furious, claiming it wasn't possible until they saw the photos and the file list from their DB server, as well as a table export from their DB user table.

Volmarias posted:

There will be customers who do not want physical presence pen testing to be part of it (for whatever reason), and there are plenty of garbage firms that just run automated scanning tools and call it a day.

Yup, and there are plenty of Pen Test firms out there who just want technical assets and will help handle documentation efforts for the final report. Some audit teams even have a dedicated EM who just collects the documentation for final presentation.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Sep 18, 2019

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

Not sure if this is the right thread for this. My company has been hit by the Ryuk ransomware. I have my own keyboard and mouse at the office that I brought in from home. It seems like my keyboard has upgradeable firmware which would mean it could be written to. I'm not sure about the mouse. Are these vectors for spreading infection? Should I not use these peripherals on my home network again after this?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Shofixti posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread for this. My company has been hit by the Ryuk ransomware. I have my own keyboard and mouse at the office that I brought in from home. It seems like my keyboard has upgradeable firmware which would mean it could be written to. I'm not sure about the mouse. Are these vectors for spreading infection? Should I not use these peripherals on my home network again after this?

Not likely, Ryuk is mostly spread via network, powershell, and a combination of other things

quote:

An obfuscated PowerShell script is executed and connects to a remote IP address.
A reverse shell is downloaded and executed on the compromised host.
PowerShell anti-logging scripts are executed on the host.
Reconnaissance of the network is conducted using standard Windows command line tools along with external uploaded tools.
Lateral movement throughout the network is enabled using Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP).
Service User Accounts are created.
PowerShell Empire is downloaded and installed as a service.
Lateral movement is continued until privileges are recovered to obtain access to a domain controller.
PSEXEC is used to push out the Ryuk binary to individual hosts.
Batch scripts are executed to terminate processes/services and remove backups, followed by the Ryuk binary.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

You're very very kind, but I'm disabled, as in on Social Security Disability. If I hadn't become disabled I'd still be working for a very large search company. If I were able to do any sort of work, I would be doing it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You're very very kind, but I'm disabled, as in on Social Security Disability. If I hadn't become disabled I'd still be working for a very large search company. If I were able to do any sort of work, I would be doing it.

No reason you can't setup a little lab and be an amateur researcher then. There's plenty of need, and I doubt you are the sort to sit idle.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
Switchblade Switcharoo

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I am good friends with someone is legally blind. He cannot see anything without zooming in at least 20 times. Watching him run applications is wild because he knows where everything should be on the desktop while only being able to see 1/20 of it at the time.

One thing I would recommend is getting the certs to do basically the rote stuff and knowing how to report it is easy but you really make money if you are really get into subject and become an expert at it. Like reversing, web security (not just running scans, but knowing what to look for to give you a hint something is wrong), or hardware compromises (knowing how to find the JTAG ports or bypassing logic on the board); the list is neverending.

Another friend works at a large DNS company and told me about how they hired someone because he was good at the DNS protocol enough to the point he was making the servers respond in way even network experts had no clue was possible. It's been awhile since I heard the last story (drunk at derbycon) but it was something like figuring you could push shellcode into the DNS flag field and getting netcat to talk back. Flags are only supposed to be 1 to 4 bits long but he was able to make the server ignore this and continue reading. Or something like that.

Final suggestion: get interested in something and get passionate about it. Learn something on your own time that you feel will be cool to do. Even if it's something like following a guide to root a Nintendo switch and trying to figure out by watching talks/papers and learning how it actually works. Doesn't have to be that but something you are interested in already.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You've had enough time and energy to set up a Shitposting as a Service sole proprietorship, surely you can do something new

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

EVIL Gibson posted:

Final suggestion: get interested in something and get passionate about it. Learn something on your own time that you feel will be cool to do. Even if it's something like following a guide to root a Nintendo switch and trying to figure out by watching talks/papers and learning how it actually works. Doesn't have to be that but something you are interested in already.

This is the best advice. Don't let your disability keep you from something you love, and even if you can't work, Security is very much driven by the community, and you can be a member of that community, no job necessary.

Never stop learning.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Yes, let's all tell the disabled person exactly what they can and can't do on account of their disability, of which we know nothing except the vague category that it falls into.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Powered Descent posted:

Yes, let's all tell the disabled person exactly what they can and can't do on account of their disability, of which we know nothing except the vague category that it falls into.

Its like you didn't even read the posts you are fake raging about.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Stop.

Jowj
Dec 25, 2010

My favourite player and idol. His battles with his wrists mirror my own battles with the constant disgust I feel towards my zerg bugs.

fyallm posted:

ayy i do vuln management (and automation and IDR and and and and, whatup small teams). I'd love for you to expound on what vuln management consulting is like.

I'm imagining either:
A) "no really you should be scanning a lot and build out a program where stakeholders own the risk their department generates and yes definitely patching"

B) "I will build configure and run TVM for you for 3 months and then hand it off peace"

my next steps after my current job are pretty limited if I'm looking for continued growth; either a Very Small company where i own more poo poo, a very large company where I own one thing and get to dig in, or consulting to grab even more breadth, pay, and lose my social life. Any deets you wanna pass on wrt consulting i'd love to hear.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

In the name of love?

Also, Linus is Linusing around again.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Why am I not just blocking all of china?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The Fool posted:

Why am I not just blocking all of china?

We're about ready to, we have a small team in China but they are largely whitelisted by provider IP.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

well, i can see the point Linus to trying to make. he is saying that if you think random is always going to be random, then to you should know why there is random and urandom exist in linux and realize why they are different and what case to use either in.

if you throw in a random call but have not set a seed, where are you pulling that and the entropy source?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Yeah, mandatory 2FA for all logons from outside north america will be coming to our systems soon.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

2FA on phones has been proven to be hopelessly insecure (duh). Are any of you going with some sort of biometric system on the laptop, or are you sticking to Yubikeys and similar?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

2FA on phones has been proven to be hopelessly insecure (duh). Are any of you going with some sort of biometric system on the laptop, or are you sticking to Yubikeys and similar?

"on phones" or "via SMS codes"?

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It's not so much mobile 2fa as it is sms 2fa right?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

SMS MFA is insecure, mobile apps like the Google and Microsoft Authenticator apps are fine.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Yeah, mandatory 2FA for all logons from outside north america will be coming to our systems soon.

We have mandatory MFA for any logon outside of our primary network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Fool posted:

We have mandatory MFA for any logon outside of our primary network.

Yeah, this is the route to go unless you are all remote workers or something. Which then I guess all <insert country> might make more sense but if probably just do MFA all the time instead.