Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Hollandia posted:

Sexyama? Ishihara?

Bobby lee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
:whitewater:

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Would that be considered an investment? I don't understand art and always assume it's a big money laundering operation.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I invest in asses of all kinds, actually.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
You can invest in asses but the returns are usually poo poo.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Southpaugh posted:

any word on what happened with Zabit?

https://twitter.com/bokamotoESPN/status/1173766663084236803

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Veskit posted:

Bobby lee

He's Korean. Which is not the mixup you want to make with a Korean.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Visa issues? Was he involved in the kerfluffle with McGregor? I'll admit all these Russian names confuse me as an anglophone.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Ariza posted:

Visa issues? Was he involved in the kerfluffle with McGregor? I'll admit all these Russian names confuse me as an anglophone.

Definitely not visa issues he's lived in the US for years trains in Jersey, he was at a boxing fight at MSG while news was leaking out, apparently some kind of illness/allergy something weird like that.

He is also from Dagestan but really doesn't know Khabib nor trains with that camp at all, he grew up in some kind of weird martial arts focused boarding school where they taught him Wushu/Sanda.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Mekchu posted:

He's Korean. Which is not the mixup you want to make with a Korean.

Sorry, there are too many steps to explain that joke, MY BAD, IT WAS IN POOR TASTE

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Brut posted:

he grew up in some kind of weird martial arts focused boarding school where they taught him Wushu/Sanda.

That speaks to how loving hard the people there are. They can take any half baked martial art, train hard in it, and become contenders in the UFC.
Not to say that there aren't a lot of washouts in those gyms, but Dagestan has 3million people and half a dozen names in the UFC.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

kimbo305 posted:

That speaks to how loving hard the people there are. They can take any half baked martial art, train hard in it, and become contenders in the UFC.
Not to say that there aren't a lot of washouts in those gyms, but Dagestan has 3million people and half a dozen names in the UFC.

I think people also think of Russia as being the largest country in the world by land and apply that to these places, and that's really not the case, it's a 2 hour drive from the capital of Dagestan to the capital of Chechnya, it's a geographically small region and most of it is steep mountains, that area was hard enough to survive in even before AK47s.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

kimbo305 posted:

I suspect any martial art which trains full contact is going to come to resemble those recognised as generally effective even if it retains some odd quirks from its origins - there are only so many ways to skin a cat and all.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Talk of injuries and allergies aside its probably the better location for both fighters, home crowd interest etc. Interesting.

Not a huge fan of the voice over guy but the content is interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0EwWAjIi20

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Neurosis posted:

I suspect any martial art which trains full contact is going to come to resemble those recognised as generally effective even if it retains some odd quirks from its origins - there are only so many ways to skin a cat and all.

I'm probably the biggest mark for Sanda in the threads, so not knocking its theoretical efficacy, just that most places that teach it will not be the the kinds of pressure cookers needed to produce real talent.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Southpaugh posted:

Talk of injuries and allergies aside its probably the better location for both fighters, home crowd interest etc. Interesting.

Calvin Kattar is from Methuen, Massachusetts, a town half an hour from Boston.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

well on a sports level, they'll take it.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Hollandia posted:

Sexyama? Ishihara?

Genki sudo, dancing

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Pereira said it wasn't all the dancing and flipping around that gassed him out in 2 minutes, it was only the bad weight cut. He says he's going to continue fighting the way he wants to fight!

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Ariza posted:

Pereira said it wasn't all the dancing and flipping around that gassed him out in 2 minutes, it was only the bad weight cut. He says he's going to continue fighting the way he wants to fight!

He also said he had a bad cut because his corner had visa issues, so he had to do it by himself

Also, it was a 38-pound cut, which means he was around 210 at the start

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

LobsterMobster posted:

:stare:

It was definitely one of the more dramatic non-Rumble size differences I can remember seeing.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
I wonder if hiring local people to handle your weight cut for you costs more or less than 50k+20% of base pay.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

LobsterMobster posted:

He also said he had a bad cut because his corner had visa issues, so he had to do it by himself

gently caress me, that's like a Johny Hendricks-sized cut.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Brut posted:

Calvin Kattar is from Methuen, Massachusetts, a town half an hour from Boston.

oh poo poo one.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Does anyone know if the glory card in Miami next weekend has any worthwhile fights on it? Tickets are pretty cheap and I live near by some thinking of checking it out, but if the entire card whose trash I will do something else with my Saturday

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Waroduce posted:

Does anyone know if the glory card in Miami next weekend has any worthwhile fights on it? Tickets are pretty cheap and I live near by some thinking of checking it out, but if the entire card whose trash I will do something else with my Saturday

Probably best to ask in the Dutch crime kickboxing thread assuming everyone there is still alive.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3630848

But to answer, Tiffany Van Soest and the LHW Interim Title both look good. Rest is eh but im not really familiar with a lot of those guys on the card.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The history of the Baddest Motherfucker Belt in MMA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1d0Oo9yV9o

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Ariza posted:

what's his excuse for his awful rear end standup and grappling?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/Justin_Gaethje/status/1174056008617881600

I don't know what we did to deserve Justin Gaethje but we should find out so we can keep doing it.

Memento fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Sep 18, 2019

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I'll be making my own Gaethje flag if this is the case.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
You ain't gotta be Dagestani to get into the UFC with a base in Sanda

Pat Barry used to kick dudes in the leg so hard they'd just straight up give up, while still (barely) standing

One of my absolute favorites when I followed UFC more closely - "when I hit you, you know you been hit"

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Ad by Khad posted:

Pat Barry used to kick dudes in the leg so hard they'd just straight up give up, while still (barely) standing

Pat Barry competed in Sanshou, but he would have excelled in any kickboxing sport cuz of his power.
Cung Le, for all of his faults, was a much more archetypical sanshou fighter.
Anyone who stays on the outside or moves in and catches kicks and converts to trips / sweeps pretty much has the sanshou playbook. It's awesome to see Zabit do it. Muslim Salikhov never really showed the range of throws from sanshou.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

david branch just got USADAed and is gone for two years, please post your sadness at missing david branch fights

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
he nearly knocked out luke rockhold, and that was cool

he did knock out thiago santos, which is just bizarre

i kinda liked him in wsof because he was a two division champ that defended both belts

rip to the branchman

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

CarlCX posted:

david branch just got USADAed and is gone for two years, please post your sadness at missing david branch fights

i liked it when he got owned by hermansson

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
Apparently we are getting Mr Finland Makwan Amirkhani vs Shane Burgois at New York.

Good match, Makwan has been working at SBG lately on his overall MMA Game and offensive wrestling.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Peak Dave Branch was when he moved up a weight class and his opponent missed weigh by another 30 lb or something and outed himself as a white supremecist and Branch went and slam KOed the guy in like 1 minute.

mewse
May 2, 2006

CarlCX posted:

people going missing? what type of branch is this

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

CommonShore posted:

Peak Dave Branch was when he moved up a weight class and his opponent missed weigh by another 30 lb or something and outed himself as a white supremecist and Branch went and slam KOed the guy in like 1 minute.

not to pull the racism card but I'm pretty sure you're thinking of Gerald Harris

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

CarlCX posted:

not to pull the racism card but I'm pretty sure you're thinking of Gerald Harris

yup

e: though maybe that is the joke, that there are no notable things about branch, just about the people that have beat branch, which includes gerald harris, by slam KO