Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

FrangibleCover posted:

Peaceish

Right now we have an intrigue character who's already a known kinslayer. Let's bump off Mrs. 21 Martial and then press the claim against her underaged daughter while her kingdom is in disarray.

I concur and move that Peace with plans be officially introduced as a third option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Peace with some sneakery.

Sir Mopalot
Jun 8, 2014
Peace with plans seems like the best direction.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

WAR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Fl1pCPb504

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
Rajputana is not ruled by strange heathens, it's ruled by kin! The fate of the Middle West is being decided between the followers of the Sun and the Moon, the north is being ravaged by the Mongols. We tibetans must remain united and strong! We can propose the Queen to submit to imperial authority but, otherwise, there shall be Peace in our time but if some accident were to happen to the good queen that gives us reason to protect Rajputana from chaos, I wouldn't complain

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

Kangxi posted:

This is much closer than I thought it would be.

I'm extending the voting time. Voting closes at 11:59 PM EST, Tuesday, September 10, 2019.

Goons have changed from wanting to make war all the time, but we still uphold the tradition of driving everything to the ground anyway. ref. Al-Andalus

GrabbinPeels
Jan 3, 2010

I only regret not giving up sooner.

War is inevitable, make sure you stab as many enemy rulers as possible on the way.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."

Pacho posted:

Goons have changed from wanting to make war all the time, but we still uphold the tradition of driving everything to the ground anyway. ref. Al-Andalus

I know. I voted in Al-Andalus.

And I have to say a lot of voters are OK with stabbing members of the royal family.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Kangxi posted:

And I have to say a lot of voters are OK with stabbing members of the royal family.

I am not. (This time.) PEACE

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

Kangxi posted:

You say that as though we're setting some kind of precedent. Perish the thought :allears:

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Isn’t the reigning empress pretty cool with stabbing her royal kin too

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Peace. We need to breathe.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

Kangxi posted:

When have royal cabinet goons ever not been in favor of this

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

WAR

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Let there be peace

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Peace. Internal drama is always much more entertaining especially with a character who doesn't believe in single combat.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
PEACE

Because it's going to be really anticlimactic for you to have to write the war out of existence when the claimant dies of syphilis

Iceblocks
Jan 5, 2013
Taco Defender
Peace

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
I'll change my vote to Peace.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Let there be Peace in our time. And we can make pieces of the enemy later.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Peace with plans is a coward’s vote

pinchofginger
Nov 7, 2009
Fallen Rib

Flesnolk posted:

It's just Soft Tibexit.

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013
War, might as well start some trouble in the region.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

Flesnolk posted:

It's exactly what I'd be doing if I had Kangxi's save. Call me a coward again if you like, but be wary of remote inns that smell like manure.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

FrangibleCover posted:

It's exactly what I'd be doing if I had Kangxi's save. Call me a coward again if you like, but be wary of remote inns that smell like manure.

That just means the ingredients are all locally sourced!

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

“Here are two choices, both with positives and negatives”

“Okay but what if we had one that was only positive”

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Soup du Jour posted:

Its a dumb choice! India is full of lovely weak states Tibet could pick off easily. States that aren't ruled by co-religious kinsmen! Go after the other states!

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

FrangibleCover posted:

Can we not do the weird in-character stuff

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Flesnolk posted:

Can we not do the weird in-character stuff

What’s in character about discussing a save?

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
:siren: The vote is closed. :siren:

Vote for a war with Rajputana to press the claims of Purgyal Gémathar
War: 19 (TheFlyingLlama, Technowolf, Lord Cyrahzax, Rody One Half, HereticMIND, wedgekree, Randaconda, Lynneth, RagnarokZ, Maxie Satan, pinchofginger, Jeoh, Eastbound Spider, Mcclay, AJ_Impy (if they do not swear allegiance), Negrostrike, GrabbinPeels, Freudian, Aeromancia)
Peace: 25 (Ferrovanadium, Bloodly, Flesnolk, Minus Green, frankenfreak, idhrendur, habeusdorkus, Erwin the German, Angry Salami, New Mars, PetraCore, berryjon, Mirdini, HiHo ChiRo, ThatBasqueGuy, i81icu812, Jossar, Akratic Method, Soup du Jour, QuoProQuid, jalapeno_dude, VerySlightlyMad, Iceblocks, RubixSquid, wedgekree)
Peace with 'Plans': 8 (Snipee, FrangibleCover, Eleven Eleven, Viola the Mad, Dr_Gee, Teddybear, Sir Mopalot, Pacho)

With 52 votes counted, the most popular option is to not go to war with the Kingdom of Rajputana. (I know a lot of people changed their minds, so tell me if I miscounted.)

Her Imperial Majesty will deliver a response shortly.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

Soup du Jour posted:

Oh, there are plenty of ways for murdering a kinsman (kinswoman?) and then attempting to take over their country by pressing the claim of a childless leper to go wrong. This isn't a Quest game, there are an infinity of options and they can all go horribly wrong if the dice hate you.

I'm happy enough with peace though.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
First Meeting of the Central Secretariat of the Empire of Tibet, Her Imperial Majesty Pelmo I presiding

The discussion dies down after some more extensive debates and even a few personal snipes. Her Majesty, between downing cups of butter tea, has been whispering to her personal secretary, who has been taking notes. She stands and speaks in a calm, quiet voice.

: It seems we have reached a majority opinion, if not a complete consensus.

: Here is what we will do. The kingdom will inform Gémathar that we will not press her claims on Rajputana. We may instead find a more suitable opponent in the south if there is an opportunity.

: So that matter is settled. The kingdom will act in accordance with the decisions here.

: But there is another matter I must address. I know that you've heard stories about the last civil war. I, too, am horrified to hear them.

: Wherever we are, we must always fight to dispel delusions and restore order. Our family is bound together by common interests and a shared destiny. The empire is held together through the laws we aspire to follow, a common faith, oaths of loyalty, and the bonds of personal understanding. Titles and responsibilities change, but loyalty is the principle that is most essential. We hold each other to loyalty, and I am bound by the responsibilities I have.

: The consequences of disorder are terrible to imagine; only look at the state of the world. Think, with great care, of how close we were to that.

: I have oaths to follow and duties to you. We shall continue the empire as it always was. It is the natural order of things. Go now in peace and good health.

OOC: Yes, this is a very minor update. I'll be out of town again and I'll have something more after I get back and finish some tasks.

Kangxi fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Sep 12, 2019

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
Chapter 30: 1125 to 1147: Tsenmo Purgyal Pelmo 'the Dragon'

As told by the Empress

The war with Rajputana was called off, but the empire remained in a desperate state.

The mints were working overtime but the coins they produced were not so trustworthy, with less pure metal in them. The silver and gold veins were running dry.

At least, I was able to keep the court's expenses in line.

Some other leader, one better at understanding farming or pastoral living or trades or coin, could come up with some way to get us out of this.

I was not that person.

I was barely able to keep the Mongols from raiding the north.

But we soon had something else to occupy ourselves. The Sacred Hierarch called for a holy war against the Kingdom in Gujaratra.

A sliver of land to our far west, ruled by petty princes poking each others' eyes over the ruins of the Pratiharas.

I at least made the attempt to participate,

even as the nobles around me, including my husband, grew lazy.

I went out with the army. There was really very little for me to do. The armies of the vassal kings, as well as the Kingdom of Rajputana, were already there and sacking the cities by the time I had arrived.

Well, the trip was not a real waste.

We had first met by accident. I was up late, as I often was when I heard a rustling noise outside.

I had met a priestess there, about my age, and of her like I had thought there were none left. She was eating potatoes from her rations. She was the head of a monastery just south of Lhasa, a young monk at first, elected after her work to train nurses.

I had wanted to spend more time with her, I asked. She smiled, and blushed, and ran away.

I tried again.

I had not felt such a kind of innocence for so long, without the feeling that was to be manipulated or asked for some favor.

Around her, I felt completely at ease, as if there was no one else in the world. I had become bashful and contrived to try and please her.

I thought of the ancestors and all the spirits of the countryside watching us. I consider what I did to be an act of worship.

The war was, in my view, a success.

And there was the maid, too, yes... Anyway.

I felt rejuvenated. I was able to advance some changes to the legal code, on the authority of the imperial seat, the structure of bureaucracy and reporting, and revising laws.

I had dared to bite of the fruits of life.

More angry peasants to scare off. Bah.

I yearned then to take myself out of the constant turmoil. I had a house set in order in the south, further away from the cities, so that I might live away from Lhasa, with only reliable guards and maids around.

I was at least assured that we would not be invaded for some time.

And that the cities grew and the fields and herds were prosperous.

I asked the messengers from court to keep less important news out of my mind.

For the first time in years, perhaps decades, I could relax. I could float on the lake, unbothered, and see only the sky.

In time, I was alerted that the Han (the Third Han?) invaded the very south of the continent, to depose the last remnants of the Ming.

Enough reason to retire to the villa and spend time with Tashi. Experiment with Chinese remedies for headaches. Pins and needles.

With some hesitation, I returned to Lhasa.

I was informed that the western vassal king in Nepal was striking the last of the Seljuk forts in the Hindu Kush.

And that the Kingdom of Rajputana had overwhelmed almost all that was left of the Pratiharas.

Not long after I had returned, Tashi had passed. I was told it was overwork at her monastery and weakness of the heart.

She's in a better place now. That's what everyone else says.

I couldn't find the strength to look at other people anymore.

But the work of royalty does not really end. There is always someone ready to strike, especially in moments of your own weakness.

So I have no pity for them either.

Heads on spikes.

For I am surrounded by the petty and the vengeful.

The long distant children of the Ming were defeated once again.

Years ago, I had arranged to betroth a son of mine to a distant daughter of the queen of Rajputana. By some fluke, not of my doing, I swear, that daughter was now queen and rightful ruler. I could not believe my luck - the queen had arranged to follow that arrangement. Perhaps in a generation or so, the lands would be united yet again.

Something had changed about the places we ruled. Though the people there spoke their different languages and held to their beliefs, and there was only so much we could do to change that, the whole mouth of the Ganges was considered part of Tibet as if it always was so.

We had soon heard, that following our example, the Seljuks had formed their own imperial guard. They would be drawn from a tough and hardy people, who apparently had survived invasions from both east and west. I am told they claimed descent from one of three brothers.

The Seljuks would need the help.

In 1141, my oldest son died of fever.

I do wonder how things will go on after I'm gone.

My only daughter had asked me if she could serve with the Imperial Guards and live with the Mongols, to learn the life of war as a daughter should. I agreed.

One of the councilors, a vassal king of the south, had contrived to show me some scenes of life for the merchants and traders, that I might learn what to do from their example and the series of new experiences.

I was in no condition to listen. All folly.

I was such a foul mood that I had them all punished and taxed further when the opportunity came.

I had tried, in a fit of foolishness or passion, to get myself closer to a different member of the Imperial Guard. She was at first interested, but she recoiled. She said my breath smelled like her mother's.

I walked back to the palace, passing by the grand new university buildings that I had ordered finished. The beautiful things are across the street from filthy huts.

Of course, I soon discovered the rumors and stories about me. They would blame me for the plagues if they could find a way. The longer I rule, the more absurd they become. But the nobility and the church cannot figure it out. They want everything to be so complicated. Really it's simple. Everyone imagines themselves as a player on the board, and everyone else as the pieces.

I will remind even our Mongols who they serve. They are not saints or gods. Just people.

They steal from me, where there isn't as much left.

Every story they tell, every lie, is a cover for something else. I had them removed from the council without hesitation, to great applause.

My daughter will be back soon, from her time in the imperial guard. I don't know what I'll say, what I can say.

When she gets here, I'll get ready to tell her the truth. Everything. So that someone might understand the course of my life. Those who don't have any responsibility don't understand, they can't look past the phrases and rituals. The empire endures, without any grand battles or expensive wars, just a few dead kings. This is a way to rule. I have a divine mandate. I think of the great Gyalyum so constantly, and I understand what has to be done. No one will speak out against the rule, and the silence is the confirmation that what I have done is good.

Kangxi fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Sep 17, 2019

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists
:smith:

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Well, this is about to get messy.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
what are you talking about, a six year old child is clearly the best person to run a decadent and declining empire

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Tibet has even more high places to fall from than usual.

Just saying.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
Chapter 32: 1147 to 1150 - Tsenpo Purgyal Chokey

Extracts from a child's writing exercises

My name is Chokey Choskyi Choekyi. I am the emperor. I live in a big red house with my aunts and uncles.

My teacher is Tisho. He tells me what to write.

[Beneath a crude drawing of multiple figures.] This is the council. Tisho says they are a bunch of pinheads.

Today I learned about the Mongols. They ask me for money, so they can stop the bad people. They are strong and helpful.

The Mongols drink milk and eat cheese. They ride on their horses all day and they live in felt tents.

Other Mongols are fighting the Turks.

Some people go east to fight the Chinese, and then they bring things to me.

Today I also practiced rituals. I read the scriptures of the way of the visual world.

The words are tough and I don't get it. The priest smells funny and I don't understand what he's saying. I like playing with swords more.

When I get back from the temple, I want to play. Tisho was leaning on the windowsill, and he was looking at the ground. I think he lost something.

I hope he finds it.

I'm going to play 'Horse Thief', 'Sun and Moon', and tug-of-war with my friends later. I'm going to win!

================================================

Löntsän Tisho ran his hands through his hair, paced around the table, and sat down. He wipes his hands on an embroidered cloth, rocking back and forth. He feels the sweat trickle down his sides. The table was set with the silver soup bowls and fine chopsticks, a fine set brought from Lhasa. A stout maid walks past, carrying a large basket of potatoes. He bolts out of his seat, and she nearly drops the basket.

"Excuse me. Have you seen His Majesty, the emperor?"

"N. No, sir."

He sits and rubs his chin. The sun was slipping behind the mountains, drawing out long, exaggerated shadows. His thoughts veer between the distant fear of approaching armies and the more rapid panic of his charge disappearing.

A messenger approached, with the distinctive waddle of having ridden on a horse for too long. Tisho rushes up to him, unable to conceal his panic. "What news do you have?"

"Just these, sir," he says, passing over a bundle of sealed letters. Tisho thanks him and dismisses him. He tears upon the envelope and reads the thin missives. Armies marching up from the south, the claimant nowhere to be found. Lhasa itself empty. He had moved the court to the old castle at Taktse, a rickety old thing barely used in centuries, but it wasn't Lhasa. He had to think about the armies from the south, what they could do, what they'd do to him if they found him, what they'd do to his wife and son --

And where was his majesty?

He walked towards the thin narrow window. He called out again, in a loud, desperate voice, pleading. "Your majesty! Choekyi!"

"Your majesty!"

Not a hundred paces from him, a toy sword lay in the dirt. There is nothing else beside it, but the sound of prayer flags in the wind.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

The Sandman posted:

Tibet has even more high places to fall from than usual.

Just saying.

:rip: Chokey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Chicken for lunch today, I think.