Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It comes down to form or function. The 40mm may look better on your smaller wrist, but it comes at the cost of a smaller screen. It’s the same deal as people who use the full-screen color watchfaces over infograph with 50 complications.

Best Buy has them on display, so head there and try it on. You may also have luck asking an Apple employee. Most stores don’t have demos of the 5 yet, but the 4 is almost identical in size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
The Apple website (in the Apple Watch S5 page) has an AR feature. I tried it before but I couldn’t get it to go “on” my wrist. None the less its pretty cool.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Ha I had a feeling it was kind of a silly question, but also kind of worthy of discussion, so thanks for the input everyone! Guess I'll just see what I like on my wrist more... slightly bigger screen is nice but perhaps a smaller "wearable" will feel less intrusive. Until I get to the store I could see it going either way!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
IMO 40 mm feels closer to wearing a watch, 44 mm feels like strapping a small computing device to your wrist.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Welp, it may seem obvious but Apple have quietly mentioned that magnetic watch bands can interfere with the compass. Not that I'd use the compass much (if at all), but I love the Milanese Loop band..

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Minidust posted:

Ha I had a feeling it was kind of a silly question, but also kind of worthy of discussion, so thanks for the input everyone! Guess I'll just see what I like on my wrist more... slightly bigger screen is nice but perhaps a smaller "wearable" will feel less intrusive. Until I get to the store I could see it going either way!

I had worries about the 42 but after 3 years it's not at all noticeable. WIth a sport loop I think it might be the most comfortable watch I've owned.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

I have small dweeby wrists and the 44mm feels great.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I’m waffling whether I want to get a 5 to replace my 3 LTE. The battery on my 3 has been going to poo poo (down 60-75% after an hour run listening to music stored in the watch, not even streaming).

On one hand, shiny new thing. On the other, I could possibly wait another year and just deal with having to charge it mid-day. None of the features of the 4/5 have me really chomping at the bit to buy a new one. The screen looks nice but eh, I’m not super blown away.

Do these hold resale value at all? I can’t imagine someone would want a 3 with a handful of nicks and bumps on the case with a semi-crappy battery. The trade-in from Apple seems to only be $60.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Do these hold resale value at all?

Honestly they don’t.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Can’t wait for WatchOS 6 to swap the positions of Stop and Repeat on timers again :unsmigghh:

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Will my 42mm s2 sport band work on a 44mm s5?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yes

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

withak posted:

I got a decent Milanese loop knockoff from amazon but the product page doesn't exist any more. I think that knockoff brands are generally fly-by-night operations so you just have to play roulette.
And they’re probably all from the same manufacturer churning out all the knockoffs to begin with so not sure it matters all that much.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Those cases that make your watch look like a gshock are pretty cool. I'm gonna consider one of those when I start hiking again.
Not sure about cool but I have one on my older watch that I use for climbing...I went through a few watches/AppleCare replacements before I gave in to just putting a case on.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Holy poo poo the titanium watch is estimated to ship end of November

Also, is there any way an old phone could bottle neck a new watch if it relies on it for internet access?

Housh fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 18, 2019

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

5 has same CPU/GPU as the 4.

https://twitter.com/stroughtonsmith/status/1174376928758968320?s=21

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Yeah this year both the phone and watch are the marginal spec updates. That’s why you don’t preorder. I want pro motion and 6gb of ram before I upgrade my phone.

Titanium and people upgrading from s0-2 makes sense to upgrade now on the watch.

What do you guys think the watch will have next year? It seems like they want to ramp up dev this year with rolling out new watch App Store. I think I always on this gen gives an idea of stuff to start working on for a big boost in watch power.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Well this is cool as a S4 owner. Makes it easier to skip on it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They're gonna put a force sensor into the wrist strap and you hang yourself from it to measure your weight.

These extremely sophisticated watch bands will make the entire aftermarket obsolete.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Can a wrist sensor calculate water weight and body fat like a tanita?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
So the series 5 has 32GB storage; has there been any word on how much can be allocated to local music? Apparently the s4 allowed 2GB out of its 8GB total.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I have a group text muted on my phone, but I still get notifications on my phone from that group. Is there a way to not have that group show up on my watch?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

obi_ant posted:

I have a group text muted on my phone, but I still get notifications on my phone from that group. Is there a way to not have that group show up on my watch?

Yes this drives me loving crazy. I surely hope it’s a bug, but it’s been around forever.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

obi_ant posted:

You do have the option to silence text conversations directly from the watch now on 6 but I haven’t tested it with groups yet.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Housh posted:

Holy poo poo the titanium watch is estimated to ship end of November

Also, is there any way an old phone could bottle neck a new watch if it relies on it for internet access?
I was thinking maybe at first, then I realized the supported phones are probably all fast enough that they wouldn't be a bottleneck. (I actually don't know but assume iOS 13 is required for watchOS 6, and the oldest supported devices are the 6S and SE. The A9 still holds up fine these days.)

Housh posted:

Yeah this year both the phone and watch are the marginal spec updates. That’s why you don’t preorder. I want pro motion and 6gb of ram before I upgrade my phone.

Titanium and people upgrading from s0-2 makes sense to upgrade now on the watch.

What do you guys think the watch will have next year? It seems like they want to ramp up dev this year with rolling out new watch App Store. I think I always on this gen gives an idea of stuff to start working on for a big boost in watch power.
Marginal updates...but updates to the parts they've been lacking the most. iPhone needed better cameras and low light magic, the watch has always needed an always on screen. As far as the future, more health sensors of some sort (god knows what's possible) and battery life? U1/ultra wide band stuff is the other hardware biggie I think. Neat on the phone for stuff, but I think for security and automation stuff it'll be neater on the wrist since it'll always be on you (or at least more often than your phone...which granted, is a lot of the time anyway).

I can't really think of much more obvious stuff hardware wise. Main stuff is software and workflow improvements to make everything be more seamless and quick to use, which would apply to all generations.

Well and custom watch faces. That's like another one of those "marginal updates" that'd address one of the big few obvious pain points left. Hell I'd be down for just adding an analog clock option to the existing wallpaper face. Or putting a wallpaper behind any of the existing full screen color faces. I'm not asking for much here!

Minidust posted:

So the series 5 has 32GB storage; has there been any word on how much can be allocated to local music? Apparently the s4 allowed 2GB out of its 8GB total.
Searching around, it looks like 2GB might've been a previous limitation on older watches and/or older watchOS, and maybe just with 8GB devices (which had ~2GB reserved for the system).

...but the S4s were all 16GB from what I can find, and I'm finding people saying up to 8GB music sync. Can't seem to find anything about S5's limits, I imagine it's upped but probably won't know until someone tries syncing more than 8GB on launch day.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Can you control how bright the watch is when it's not being used? I would sacrifice battery life for the standby backlight being brighter.

I also can't decide whether to spring for the stainless steel or not. But I am heavily considering it. Can anyone comment on the gold milanese loop? I kinda want to get the stainless steel gold with the gold milanese.

By the way, do we know how Apple figured out an always on OLED? They seem confident but that sounds like the definition of burn-in city.

Taima fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 19, 2019

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The always-on display does a lot of shortcuts to work. Like, it changes the colors of your watch face to use more black since it’s amoled and black means the pixels just turn off. I highly doubt you can make the always-on brighter, and turning it off won’t give any substantial duration to battery life.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Ok thank you.

The always on feature is wonderful, I was just wondering if it could be made even more prominent. I charge every day anyways.

Decided to pull the trigger and finally replace my Series 0 space black stainless steel after all of these years. For the record, the watch is still in immaculate, A+ condition due to the DLC coating.

I went with the gold stainless steel 44mm with the gold milanese included. To be honest it's a little scary to be losing the DLC coating... does anyone know how the gold stainless holds up to abuse?

Regardless I needed a change from the all-black, so here we are.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Excited to get my new watch and hope it bumps up from the current 7-8 week ship date. :f5:

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Taima posted:

Ok thank you.

The always on feature is wonderful, I was just wondering if it could be made even more prominent. I charge every day anyways.

Decided to pull the trigger and finally replace my Series 0 space black stainless steel after all of these years. For the record, the watch is still in immaculate, A+ condition due to the DLC coating.

I went with the gold stainless steel 44mm with the gold milanese included. To be honest it's a little scary to be losing the DLC coating... does anyone know how the gold stainless holds up to abuse?

Regardless I needed a change from the all-black, so here we are.

The gold stainless is a gold colored DLC, so it should be as touch as the SBSS

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Is the always on feature only for the new watch? If so, why?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pissflaps posted:

Screen and driver improvements.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Pissflaps posted:

The screen in the series 5 is designed for that. It’s in a low power dimmed state until you point your wrist at your face.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I was wondering what is shown on the always-on display and John Gruber answers it pretty nicely:

quote:

The watch face doesn’t really stay on on all the time — instead, when on previous Apple Watch generations the display would turn completely off, the watch face goes into a low-power mode. The display dims (but remains bright enough to be legible in most conditions), second hands go away, and you pretty much just see the hour and minutes. Raise your wrist and it fades in to full brightness. Notifications do not appear on screen while the watch is in its low-power state.

[...]

There’s a setting to turn the always-on display off [...]

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

How much of a jump in battery life and responsiveness can I expect going from a S1 to an S5? I basically use my watch to check texts and get calendar notifications so I don't need an upgrade but the battery barely lasts a day and it's obnoxiously slow at times.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

My biggest feature request for a future model would be better accidental touch detection. I reckon more than half the time I look at my watch it's showing calendar/weather rather than the watchface.

I've no idea what magic technology would fix this, but it's driven me mad since I switched from Pebble to Apple Watch. I've tried turning off complications which improves the situation, but it's a step backwards in usability.

Maybe it's down to the specific way I cross my arms, but I feel like I can't be unique in this..?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Virtue posted:

How much of a jump in battery life and responsiveness can I expect going from a S1 to an S5? I basically use my watch to check texts and get calendar notifications so I don't need an upgrade but the battery barely lasts a day and it's obnoxiously slow at times.

I went from an S0 to an S4 and it was night and day, in terms of speed and battery. S0 felt like a tech demo that wasn't really meant for public consumption. S4 feels like a mature product. I routinely get two days on battery, and charge it on the third morning while I get ready for work.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Virtue posted:

It will be like going from the iPhone 3G to a 6S.
The speed difference is huge and the battery is quite a bit better.
Iirc the S1 had marginally improved battery life over the S0 that got about 1.5 days in my testing vs ~3.5 of the S3 and S4

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

Froist posted:

My biggest feature request for a future model would be better accidental touch detection. I reckon more than half the time I look at my watch it's showing calendar/weather rather than the watchface.

I've no idea what magic technology would fix this, but it's driven me mad since I switched from Pebble to Apple Watch. I've tried turning off complications which improves the situation, but it's a step backwards in usability.

Maybe it's down to the specific way I cross my arms, but I feel like I can't be unique in this..?

Is the crown on the hand-side or the arm side of your watch? As a lefty, I wear the watch on my right wrist, with the crown towards my hand, and I do occasionally trigger various crown-related actions when I bend my hands up. Otherwise the only times my watch isn't displaying what I expect it to is because my 11-month old is happily tapping on it while I'm struggling to change his diaper.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

canyonero posted:

Is the crown on the hand-side or the arm side of your watch? As a lefty, I wear the watch on my right wrist, with the crown towards my hand, and I do occasionally trigger various crown-related actions when I bend my hands up. Otherwise the only times my watch isn't displaying what I expect it to is because my 11-month old is happily tapping on it while I'm struggling to change his diaper.

I do wear the crown towards my wrist, and I do occasionally accidentally press that when bending my wrist far backwards. But the bigger problem is definitely phantom arm-touches on the touchscreen, as it relates to the complications I have on the watchface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

does anyone have any experience preordering a watch off of amazon?

I went ahead and did it because 5% cash back is extremely my poo poo, but they have no interest in committing to a delivery date whatsoever and my wedding is in a little over 2 weeks. I would ideally like to have the thing for the wedding.