Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

does he do anything stupid in this one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Someone flew a plane under the Riegelsville Bridge in Upper Bucks, and now the FAA is investigating

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

holocaust bloopers posted:

Speaking of dumb pilots, is Jerry dead yet?

Truly it’s only a matter of time.

Inacio posted:

does he do anything stupid in this one?

Does a Bear poo poo in the woods?

e: just watched it, he somehow managed to make a video where he doesn’t do anything dumb

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 17, 2019

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

1/50 and he already has 1 Star?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

hobbesmaster posted:

1/50 and he already has 1 Star?

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

e.pilot posted:

"I screwed up. I screwed up at least four times in a row. Don't do what I did. Learn from what I did. Don't risk what I did. I got very lucky."

- Guy who routinely ignored the same lessons from hundreds of pilots before him, many of which who weren't so lucky
I guess for experimental planes there’s no published crosswind limitation, so no obvious black-and-white “don’t try to fly, dummy” check. I don’t really follow this guy, did they do any envelope testing to attempt to build charts?

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I've messed around on the hardware, software, and interconnect on aviation navigation devices.

They're really dumb. ARINC-429 is a sender/receiver bus architecture. There are devices that send out data with labels. One-direction sends. Anything connected to the bus can get that data. The receive side determines what labels from the receive side show up. Each packet is a fixed length; there can be no buffer overruns.

So your IFE can get info from the nav (airspeed, altitude, time to next waypoint, time to destination, etc), and the nav can get data from the IFE (I'm not sure what it'd be looking for, but w/evs), but the IFE fundamentally can't craft a packet that will cause the nav to DO anything. If the IFE sends an invalid or badly-formatted packet, then it just gets silently dropped. There's just no mechanism wired into the nav system that lets the IFE DO anything.

Even on Garmin HSDB stuff using ethernet, a bad packet is silently dropped. A malformed packet is silently dropped. A well-formed packet outside parameters is silently dropped. A well-formed packet within parameters that disagrees with the cross channel is flagged, and eventually that data stream is disabled. I guess you could eventually walk one side off, but then the pilots can just decide to pay attention to only one side and send the other into reversionary. If you send both sides into reversionary modes, then the external data sources come in over a completely different set of wires, and typically, protocols. i.e. If #1 and #2 both go reversionary, then #1 and #2 HSDB busses go offline and the backup data comes in over RS232 or ARINC429 or RS485 or something, and it's not coming from the same sources.

That all said, I believe that with physical access to actual hardware, it might be possible to figure out an exploit that could make a downing discrepancy; possibly even an in-flight emergency. I don't think a full haxx0r of the gibson crashing the airplane into a mountain is possible. That's why there are still pilots up front with switches that physically remove power from systems to cause them to fail safe.

I'm now looking around the room wondering which one of my coworkers you might be.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

standard.deviant posted:

I guess for experimental planes there’s no published crosswind limitation, so no obvious black-and-white “don’t try to fly, dummy” check. I don’t really follow this guy, did they do any envelope testing to attempt to build charts?

It’s has nothing to do with being experimental, a crosswind gusting to over 30kt isn’t smart in a tailwheel, period. Most planes don’t have published max crosswind components, just suggested.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

In the video shot from back at the tarmac you can see the upwind wingtip is noticeably jacked up like a good two feet above the downwind tip, and the downwind gear is obviously compressed.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
Also, it has a long travel suspension for backcountry landings, which made it extra-vulnerable to crosswinds.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

NightGyr posted:

Also, it has a long travel suspension for backcountry landings, which made it extra-vulnerable to crosswinds.

Pretty much every mod he did to it made it more sensitive to crosswinds.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

MrYenko posted:

Pretty much every mod he did to it made it more sensitive to crosswinds.

Including the two-foot aluminum wing extenders aka "ground loop damage preventer"

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Including the two-foot aluminum wing extenders aka "ground loop damage preventer"

Excuse you, they were carbon fiber. :colbert:

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

e.pilot posted:

"I screwed up. I screwed up at least four times in a row. Don't do what I did. Learn from what I did. Don't risk what I did. I got very lucky."

- Guy who routinely ignored the same lessons from hundreds of pilots before him, many of which who weren't so lucky

e.pilot posted:

Excuse you, they were carbon fiber. :colbert:

WERE. :-)

I feel like you're talking nonsense. Guy screwed up, admits to screw-up, doesn't blame anyone but himself. That's commendable. If I am taking what you're putting down properly, you've just damned anyone who does something that's not perfectly safe that a pilot chose to do. At least that's the impression i'm getting. yes, he does things that aren't strictly safe. He's flying an experimental, at that point you are the test pilot. He's also not being so conservative that he'll never actually discover the limits of the airframe, like I see a lot of experiential pilots do... (That's a long, long discussion, which I'm totally prepared to have.. I'm banned from the KR-2 mailing list for that...)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

He says in the video that he was second-guessing himself several times before he decided to hit the throttle. He should have listened to his conscience and made the safer choices (pick a different runway, wait for the winds to die, don't fly). He acknowledges this in the video too.

There's nothing commendable about having poor risk-analysis skills and making the wrong judgment call.

Why do you think it's a good idea to "discover the limits of the airframe?" Do you think it's smart to push the limits of anything that could instantly kill you if you exceed them? Does it say anywhere in the FAR/AIM that Pilot Shall make sure he has hit the airframe g-limit and scared the poo poo out of himself on several occasions?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

He says in the video that he was second-guessing himself several times before he decided to hit the throttle. He should have listened to his conscience and made the safer choices (pick a different runway, wait for the winds to die, don't fly). He acknowledges this in the video too.

There's nothing commendable about having poor risk-analysis skills and making the wrong judgment call.

Why do you think it's a good idea to "discover the limits of the airframe?" Do you think it's smart to push the limits of anything that could instantly kill you if you exceed them? Does it say anywhere in the FAR/AIM that Pilot Shall make sure he has hit the airframe g-limit and scared the poo poo out of himself on several occasions?

One thing I’ve been curious about, what does a real flight test program actually consist of? There’s clearly some tables that can easily and safely be done, say fuel consumption, best climb for weight, etc but there’s also a lot of numbers that are clearly not experimentally determined. Ie Airbus isn’t going out and finding out what Vne is by diving their shiny new A350 until the wings fall off. Between the two there’s ones that seem like they’d be kinda dangerous to determine like say V1 or Vmc

marumaru
May 20, 2013

im gonna guess there's some math involved

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Nerobro posted:

WERE. :-)

I feel like you're talking nonsense. Guy screwed up, admits to screw-up, doesn't blame anyone but himself. That's commendable. If I am taking what you're putting down properly, you've just damned anyone who does something that's not perfectly safe that a pilot chose to do. At least that's the impression i'm getting. yes, he does things that aren't strictly safe. He's flying an experimental, at that point you are the test pilot. He's also not being so conservative that he'll never actually discover the limits of the airframe, like I see a lot of experiential pilots do... (That's a long, long discussion, which I'm totally prepared to have.. I'm banned from the KR-2 mailing list for that...)

The flying cowboys consistently demonstrate hazardous attitudes and poor aeronautical decision making. Don’t get me wrong it’s great that he admitted he messed up, it’s even better than he’s still here to admit he messed up, because that could’ve been a lot worse. But if he and the rest of the flying cowboys weren’t shining examples of hazardous attitudes (macho, invulnerable, anti-authority specifically) he wouldn’t have wrecked in the first place. He’s far from the first of that crowd to bend metal doing something dumb, he’s just the highest profile one that’s wrecked.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Inacio posted:

im gonna guess there's some math involved

Sure, but clearly the regulatory bodies won't just accept the CFD models and I would expect a lot of stuff will be pretty linear until close to some breaking point you don't want to go to over...

I know to some extent you can "break" things and recover by putting something special on the plane. Deep stall testing and variable CGs and drogue chutes for example.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

Sure, but clearly the regulatory bodies won't just accept the CFD models and I would expect a lot of stuff will be pretty linear until close to some breaking point you don't want to go to over...

I know to some extent you can "break" things and recover by putting something special on the plane. Deep stall testing and variable CGs and drogue chutes for example.

found this on stackoverflow:

quote:

Vne is typically set to about 90% of VD, the maximum design dive speed. This difference provides a safety margin. Above VD, damage may occur due to flutter or structural failure, or controllability considerations may make the aircraft unflyable. The aircraft is not guaranteed to fall apart at VD due to additional structural and manufacturing margins.

During flight test, the aircraft is flown above Vne, up to, or close to, VD. Appropriate safety precautions are taken, e.g. parachute. Any failure below VD indicates a design or issue that must be resolved prior to certification.

The limitation to flight below Vne (as opposed to VD) during regular operations provides protection against airspeed measurement errors, pilot errors and some margin against structural degradation over the lifetime of the aircraft.

this is interesting as well: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=61831

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

One thing I’ve been curious about, what does a real flight test program actually consist of? There’s clearly some tables that can easily and safely be done, say fuel consumption, best climb for weight, etc but there’s also a lot of numbers that are clearly not experimentally determined. Ie Airbus isn’t going out and finding out what Vne is by diving their shiny new A350 until the wings fall off. Between the two there’s ones that seem like they’d be kinda dangerous to determine like say V1 or Vmc

I wonder this too. I have seen a video of an F-15 doing V1 testing where they basically had it running on one engine and attempting to rotate at progressively higher speeds until it took off. And other stuff like the POH's "max demonstrated crosswind" is just the result of "this was the windiest day that our test pilot landed it" rather than any calculation having to do with rudder authority or whatever. Vmc might be doable at altitude, or on a big flat lakebed?

For Vne, they stick it in that full-scale supersonic wind tunnel at Moffett and rev it up until the plane falls apart, obviously

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

e.pilot posted:

The flying cowboys consistently demonstrate hazardous attitudes and poor aeronautical decision making. Don’t get me wrong it’s great that he admitted he messed up, it’s even better than he’s still here to admit he messed up, because that could’ve been a lot worse. But if he and the rest of the flying cowboys weren’t shining examples of hazardous attitudes (macho, invulnerable, anti-authority specifically) he wouldn’t have wrecked in the first place. He’s far from the first of that crowd to bend metal doing something dumb, he’s just the highest profile one that’s wrecked.

Out of curiosity are the flying cowboys a specific group you're talking about, or just the generic Big Swinging Dick pilots that you run into?

A while back I went to a safety seminar at the flight school that was open to the public for WINGS credit, and an instructor joked afterwards about one specific attendee:

Q: How do you know there's an aerobatic pilot in the room?
A: Oh, he'll tell you

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
I'm *pretty* sure that max demonstrated crosswind is related to approach speed. At least it kinda works that way for us-

152 approach 60, xwind 12
172 approach 65, xwind 15
DA40 approach 71, xwind 20

I've absolutely put a 172 on the ground in 20 knots across the runway and I wasn't close to the rudder authority limit. That said, I did bring 70KIAS over the fence, at Flaps 10.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

Out of curiosity are the flying cowboys a specific group you're talking about, or just the generic Big Swinging Dick pilots that you run into?

It's a specific group of youtuber (well, some of them) taildragger pilots. They initially seem like they're pretty safe and sane pilots just doing cool backcountry stuff (like it's not Jackass+airplanes level stupid). But if you watch a few videos you'll start to see some sketch decision making: attitude towards regulation, no o2 at altitude, bit cavalier picking landing spots, and IMO generally loving around too low.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

hobbesmaster posted:

You probably know this but they do put planes in giant rigs and do stress tests.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Sagebrush posted:

A while back I went to a safety seminar at the flight school that was open to the public for WINGS credit, and an instructor joked afterwards about one specific attendee:

Q: How do you know there's an aerobatic pilot in the room?
A: Oh, he'll tell you

Its an actual group in Utah.

e:

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

It's a specific group of youtuber (well, some of them) taildragger pilots. They initially seem like they're pretty safe and sane pilots just doing cool backcountry stuff (like it's not Jackass+airplanes level stupid). But if you watch a few videos you'll start to see some sketch decision making: attitude towards regulation, no o2 at altitude, bit cavalier picking landing spots, and IMO generally loving around too low.

This, and like I said draco is not their first questionable crash.

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Sep 18, 2019

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

So one of my brothers is off to do some dumb stuff in P8s and I took a look at his base on a whim. Does anyone know what aircraft this is? I want to say a U2 or a glider, but neither make a lot of sense at a naval air station. Bonus points for the two twin engine transports on the triangle looking thing south of the runway.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

e.pilot posted:

Its an actual group in Utah.

e:

This, and like I said draco is not their first questionable crash.

Typical Utah drivers. Six countries/a couple dozen states, they're the loving worst.

Warbird posted:

So one of my brothers is off to do some dumb stuff in P8s and I took a look at his base on a whim. Does anyone know what aircraft this is? I want to say a U2 or a glider, but neither make a lot of sense at a naval air station. Bonus points for the two twin engine transports on the triangle looking thing south of the runway.

It's a Global Hawk or Triton.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Warbird posted:

A Triton maybe?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Warbird posted:

Guessing a Reaper/Predator/something. Wingspan checks out, a Triton would be like twice as big. And a CN-235.

Mao Zedong Thot fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Sep 18, 2019

Warbird
May 23, 2012

How large are these things anyway? I had never figured the predator to be particularly large, but but there’s nothing stopping you from getting as wacky as you want with UASs. The Global Hawk appears to be an Air force bird, so triton seems likely.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Sep 18, 2019

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Twin engine cargo plane looks like a C-160, the 4-engine is a C-17.

Edit: Here's a really lovely image of how big a Global Hawk is:
That's an F-15 and an E-3 (707) for comparison. Triton is the naval variant of the Global Hawk in development...I don't know visually what the differences are so I can't tell them apart at a glance. Predators and Reapers are much smaller.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Sep 18, 2019

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Warbird posted:

Global Hawk/RQ-4

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Those wings angle back slightly, the one in the gmaps has them at 90 degrees.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Warbird posted:

Those wings angle back slightly, the one in the gmaps has them at 90 degrees.

Pretty sure that’s just from the wings bending up slightly while in flight.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Guessing a Reaper/Predator/something. Wingspan checks out, a Triton would be like twice as big. And a CN-235.

You know what...I'm amending my answer to Reaper. Triton/GH would have roughly the same wingspan as that C-130 nearby. Predators are all retired. I have no idea why there's a Reaper there, though...that's why I started off assuming it was a Triton.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

hobbesmaster posted:

Military not civilian, but our pilots flew the whole envelope if the mod was big enough. If you’re publishing charts that say it’s safe to do a thing, you have to do the thing and make sure it’s safe. You don’t have to test to failure, you have to test to (or beyond) published maximum.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Godholio posted:

You know what...I'm amending my answer to Reaper. Triton/GH would have roughly the same wingspan as that C-130 nearby. Predators are all retired. I have no idea why there's a Reaper there, though...that's why I started off assuming it was a Triton.

Gmaps's measure distance feature is putting it around 64.4 ft wingspan-wise which would line up pretty will with the Reaper's 66 ft span. Allowing for distortion, error, and me not clicking good would make it seem pretty likely that this is the UAS/V in question. Plus it looks like you can see a hard point under the north wing. Do NASs overseas typically host aircraft from other branches? It wouldn't be a bad place to operate out of to keep an eye on North Africa and the Mediterranean.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Sagebrush posted:

But there is in accepting you did wrong. Making bad decisions is something EVERYONE does. Pilots included. Which leads neatly into your next paragraph.

Of anything certified? No. Of a plane that there is no known edges of the flight envelope? Yes, they need to be explored at some point. Amusingly, I have a book in my washroom upstairs on how to do that safely. If you don't explore them, you don't know what you actually did. Are you opening the discussion on my trouble with a lot of kit and plans built planes? Becasue... that's a fun one... Oddly, I think we may actually come down on the same side of the risk lines.

hobbesmaster posted:

You can start here: https://www.amazon.com/Flight-Testing-Homebuilt-Aircraft-Vaughan/dp/0813813085/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=homebuilt+testing&qid=1568781607&sr=8-1

Best climb isn't necessarily a safe thing to test... you can reasonably get on the wrong side of the power curve while doing that. There are several hundred post long threads on other forums about how to determine things like VNE. Vmc is "reasonably" easy to determine, you can figure out what airspeed you need to get enough lift to break the wings, or other part of the airframe, then you derate it by..... first your safety factor, then whatever the gust rating is. VnE is somewhat less easy to determine, as the range of factors that can lead to VnE are wide, and what the engineering team determines to be the limiting factor. For airliners, it's going to be mach effects. For a 172, it's going to be gust reaction and overloading the airframe due to lift. For a glider, it's likely to be flutter.

Then there's the whole "well temperature, humidity, and cleanliness of the plane all add a fudge factor"

e.pilot posted:

Yes, they sure do. Corey Robin? The one who did an accelerated stall at a stupid low altitude.... and crushed his whole body. I think I got that right.

I enjoy watching what they do. I wouldn't be caught flying with them. *shakes head*.

Sagebrush posted:

And other stuff like the POH's "max demonstrated crosswind" is just the result of "this was the windiest day that our test pilot landed it" rather than any calculation having to do with rudder authority or whatever.

As I understand it, a remarkable amount of the kitplanes have numbers just pulled straight out of some guy with a pencils derriere. Calling them out on this... is what got me kicked out of the KR2 mailing list. "So you're just guessing, and haven't actually checked? How do you know? And you're carrying passengers?" The number of stories with people flying with a CG that would make the teenage me cringe (I had a nasty habit of setting up my gliders with crazy aft CG's...) is breathtaking.

To bring this back to the cowboys, this stuff needs math. Mike Patey, did math. And did measurements. And ... well... up until the rush to get home, and beat a storm, ate up all of his general sensibility... Well, crunch. (Of that group, i trust Patey's work the most. His history with aircraft is a bit better than rotorkids...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
And he's a tall poppy.