Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

There needs to be a third piano there, with a model of the moon hanging over them.

No, the pianos are fine, BUT one of them should be white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
https://www.trulia.com/p/tx/houston/1802-castlerock-dr-houston-tx-77090--2069072381

Key points of interest: Multiple swimming pools, a gokart track, RV/race car garages, enough recliners in the master bedroom for you, your wife, and your wife's boyfriend.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

MetaJew posted:

https://www.trulia.com/p/tx/houston/1802-castlerock-dr-houston-tx-77090--2069072381

Key points of interest: Multiple swimming pools, a gokart track, RV/race car garages, enough recliners in the master bedroom for you, your wife, and your wife's boyfriend.

man this house has it all

-house poor
-candle piano
-ship statue
-bird statue
-dumb foyer statue
-sims furniture
-floor CRT
-long neglected bball hoop
-weird pool

personally, i'm the empty aquarium

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Is this a set for Two Pianos, Four Hands?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm not sure that "crotchgirl with ball" is really a good approach to statuary.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Guess who doesn’t have living grandparents.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
To be fair, playing dueling grand pianos nightly with my wife is the stuff of #lifegoals

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Is this a set for Two Pianos, Four Hands?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnQdP03iYIo

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Badger of Basra posted:

I read a story a couple weeks ago about a rash of car thefts in the rich Chicago burbs and it turns out 100% of cars stolen this year were unlocked with the keys in them :shepface:

I don’t get this, haven’t all cars that anyone rich would drive had keyless entry & keyless start for about 5-10 year now?

So there is no place to leave a key. And no benefit to not locking the thing, as it magically unlocks for you.

My modest car has it in the UK, I know the US market is different.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

wooger posted:

I'm American and I drive a two year old Honda that has keyless entry/operation but it's not the lowest trim package, which does still use a regular key. I presume most manufacturers are the same way so your Standard 2018 Whatever has a key but the Deluxe 2018 Whatever doesn't.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
One would think that making two sets of electrics would cost more than just giving everyone keyless entry/ignition.

They must have done the market research and found that it’s an important motivator to sell the next trim level.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Platystemon posted:

One would think that making two sets of electrics would cost more than just giving everyone keyless entry/ignition.

They must have done the market research and found that it’s an important motivator to sell the next trim level.

This is absolutely a known thing that's been going on forever with vehicles. The particularly egregious one now is the "oh, you want emergency braking/lane assist/other safety features? Yeah, that only comes on the highest trim models. If you can't afford leather, heated/cooled seats, automatic wipers and 20" alloy wheels you are too poor for safety."

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Motronic posted:

This is absolutely a known thing that's been going on forever with vehicles. The particularly egregious one now is the "oh, you want emergency braking/lane assist/other safety features? Yeah, that only comes on the highest trim models. If you can't afford leather, heated/cooled seats, automatic wipers and 20" alloy wheels you are too poor for safety."

Whoahoohohohoho, those aren't safety features. They are Driver Assist Features. Not including important safety features with the base trim level would be dangerous!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Don't forget the rental market. I've had some truly bottom-of-the-barrel economy rental cars (thanks to working for a University who had a VERY strict policy regarding always getting the cheapest rental cars for anyone who wasn't important,) that even as late as 2012 had manual windows, no power locks, no cruise control, etc...

The last one was killer. I had to do a sort of training road trip...I had three back to back training seminars...one in St.Paul, one in Chicago, and one in Cleveland. For whatever reason, it was decided I would drive between them (my guess is some accountant determined it was, like, $50 cheaper than flying, not realizing I got aid a LOT of OT to drive those miles.) The whole trip was without cruise control.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

wooger posted:

I don’t get this, haven’t all cars that anyone rich would drive had keyless entry & keyless start for about 5-10 year now?

So there is no place to leave a key. And no benefit to not locking the thing, as it magically unlocks for you.

Toss the keys into the center console when you get in. Or it has a slot for the fob or whatever. And can't be bothered to pick them up on the way out.

Heck, my 15 year old honda will autolock if the key is out of the ignition for long enough.

We don't know what "100% of cars stolen this year were unlocked with the keys in them" actually means, or if it's even true. Citation needed.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Badger of Basra posted:

There have been some interesting church to apartment conversions in Chicago since all the congregations are shrinking. I tried to find some better pictures but all I could get are these weirdly bad pictures from the developer:

Seems interesting. Not sure if I could do it since it would feel kinda creepy at night and also everyone in the neighborhood would hate me for being a gentrifier or something.

That stained glass is beautiful, designed for sunshine to come streaming through, creating an almost holy ambience.

Which is gonna suck balls in the middle of summer when it gets light at 4am and you wanted to sleep in.

And I cannot imagine how you could possibly put window coverings over them without it looking like rear end.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Huge, probably quite expensive, window curtains that would drape from a bar run between the roof structure, I would imagine.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

Toss the keys into the center console when you get in. Or it has a slot for the fob or whatever. And can't be bothered to pick them up on the way out.

Heck, my 15 year old honda will autolock if the key is out of the ignition for long enough.

We don't know what "100% of cars stolen this year were unlocked with the keys in them" actually means, or if it's even true. Citation needed.

Here’s the article: https://www.chicagotribune.com/subu...vjna-story.html

And the relevant quote:

quote:

In Wilmette, nine cars have been stolen so far this year, all of which involved unlocked vehicles with the keys inside, Wilmette police Chief Kyle Murphy said.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
The title is "his All-Black Boerum Hill Firehouse Has a Live-in Archery Range " but I feel like it's underselling these two:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KZB56yf7Sw

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Lead out in cuffs posted:

That stained glass is beautiful, designed for sunshine to come streaming through, creating an almost holy ambience.

Which is gonna suck balls in the middle of summer when it gets light at 4am and you wanted to sleep in.

And I cannot imagine how you could possibly put window coverings over them without it looking like rear end.

Some people don’t sleep in.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Cheers

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
I would think that one of the big drawbacks from living in a converted church would be, at least in those photos, that the place would echo like a barn, and it would be nigh-impossible to keep heated with those super-tall ceilings.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Geomancing posted:

I would think that one of the big drawbacks from living in a converted church would be, at least in those photos, that the place would echo like a barn, and it would be nigh-impossible to keep heated with those super-tall ceilings.

I had some friends who lived in one they called the Chouse. Basically a house that had a loft as I recall. Well designed churches have pretty nice acoustics. But I'd reckon (unscientifically) that the majority of churches in the U.S. are an architectural abomination.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Mambold posted:

I had some friends who lived in one they called the Chouse. Basically a house that had a loft as I recall. Well designed churches have pretty nice acoustics. But I'd reckon (unscientifically) that the majority of churches in the U.S. are an architectural abomination.

That's churches everywhere. Every Gothic represents literal centuries of handyman quick-fixes and patch jobs.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Good acoustics in a church and good acoustics in a house aren't the same thing.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

You should see my organ some time :forkbomb:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

They dropped the price of the Dave house $10k, and replaced the carpet with some cheap rear end beige crap.

RIP Dave house

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I’m god damned triggered.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Sirotan posted:

They dropped the price of the Dave house $10k, and replaced the carpet with some cheap rear end beige crap.

RIP Dave house

It's cheaper now, let's pool our money to buy and save Dave House

They can take my Dave but they can't take my creepy under-the-stairs prison

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Sirotan posted:

RIP Dave house

Somehow I'm weirded out by the fireplace right next to the front door. Like... is it not normal in the US to have like, an entry room right past the front door for kicking off your shoes, etc.? Is it normal to just wander right into the goddamn living room?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Wait until you learn about tiny homes..

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

PurpleXVI posted:

Somehow I'm weirded out by the fireplace right next to the front door. Like... is it not normal in the US to have like, an entry room right past the front door for kicking off your shoes, etc.? Is it normal to just wander right into the goddamn living room?

That's actually the back door:

Front door opens onto a stupid tiny dining room(??):

The entire house is just one terrible design choice after another. I feel bad that I didn't go to the open house last weekend and will now never see the Dave carpet in person. :(

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

PurpleXVI posted:

Depends on the climate mostly. My 1951 house front door opens directly into my living room, there's not really a frigid or muddy season in Tucson to warrant a mudroom or an airlock-type space.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

cakesmith handyman posted:

Nonsense. Put the bed where the altar was and anyone in the house can hear you loving, even way back in the narthex.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

Nonsense. Put the bed where the altar was and anyone in the house can hear you loving, even way back in the narthex.

Why alter the altar? Just leave room for jesus.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Qwijib0 posted:

Depends on the climate mostly. My 1951 house front door opens directly into my living room, there's not really a frigid or muddy season in Tucson to warrant a mudroom or an airlock-type space.

I suppose that makes sense. I'm just used to almost every single Danish house having what apparently translates to a "laundry room" right inside the front door. I.e. a tiled space where you've got all your technical stuff(water heater, washing machine, dryer, breaker board, water meter, etc.) that it's weird to consider a house that doesn't. It just feels very utilitarian.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

PurpleXVI posted:

I suppose that makes sense. I'm just used to almost every single Danish house having what apparently translates to a "laundry room" right inside the front door. I.e. a tiled space where you've got all your technical stuff(water heater, washing machine, dryer, breaker board, water meter, etc.) that it's weird to consider a house that doesn't. It just feels very utilitarian.

Lots of houses have a “mud room” off the garage, very similar to what you are describing. I don’t think I’ve ever seen one off the front door, aside from some coat hooks and tile/wood.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

PurpleXVI posted:

due to the climate across much of the united states (little/no snow nearly year round) and a tendency to build cheap freestanding homes in the suburbs for the later half of the 20th century. depending on the age and or price of the house, the following scenarios are common

-no entry room, your door goes directly to the living room
-door opens into small entry space with a closet. this space may be a distinct hallway or some other minimally defined space
-door opens into dedicated foyer or entry hall
-door opens into 'mud room', a specific room for outdoor clothes and shoes. this is more common as an informal rear entrance rather than a formal front entrance

i grew up in a small three bedroom house and my front door opened to a carpeted living room, but there was a small linoleum floored space next to a coat closet so you could take off your shoes without touching carpet. although we rarely used this door and just went through the garage which opened into the kitchen

e: another cultural difference here may be the distinction between the front, formal entrance and the side or rear informal entrance. because americans love cars, a lot of our homes have attached garages. this is a common criticism of suburban architecture, where the car part of the house often dominates the people portion of the house, and the obviously most important entrance to the home is the car hole. so there's a distinction then between the front door of the house and the door which connects the garage to the living space of the house, which becomes the most commonly used entrance to the house. since many americans leave their garages open for much of the time, there's almost an expectation that known visitors will use the informal side entrance passing through the garage, where unknown or unexpected visitors will use the formal front entrance to the house

all that being said, it's less weird to have your side entrance open directly into a living space because you would expect a friend or family member to knock on that door instead of the front door (depending on how accessible the doors are - it would be weird for someone to climb your fence or circle all the way around to the back of your home, too)

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-Americ...hen-garage-door

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Sep 20, 2019

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

luxury handset posted:

due to the climate across much of the united states (little/no snow nearly year round) and a tendency to build cheap freestanding homes in the suburbs for the later half of the 20th century. depending on the age and or price of the house, the following scenarios are common

-no entry room, your door goes directly to the living room
-door opens into small entry space with a closet. this space may be a distinct hallway or some other minimally defined space
-door opens into dedicated foyer or entry hall
-door opens into 'mud room', a specific room for outdoor clothes and shoes. this is more common as an informal rear entrance rather than a formal front entrance

i grew up in a small three bedroom house and my front door opened to a carpeted living room, but there was a small linoleum floored space next to a coat closet so you could take off your shoes without touching carpet. although we rarely used this door and just went through the garage which opened into the kitchen

e: another cultural difference here may be the distinction between the front, formal entrance and the side or rear informal entrance. because americans love cars, a lot of our homes have attached garages. this is a common criticism of suburban architecture, where the car part of the house often dominates the people portion of the house, and the obviously most important entrance to the home is the car hole. so there's a distinction then between the front door of the house and the door which connects the garage to the living space of the house, which becomes the most commonly used entrance to the house. since many americans leave their garages open for much of the time, there's almost an expectation that known visitors will use the informal side entrance passing through the garage, where unknown or unexpected visitors will use the formal front entrance to the house

all that being said, it's less weird to have your side entrance open directly into a living space because you would expect a friend or family member to knock on that door instead of the front door (depending on how accessible the doors are - it would be weird for someone to climb your fence or circle all the way around to the back of your home, too)

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-Americ...hen-garage-door

The back entrance preference goes back beyond the car era, too. In the rural communities where I've lived, the original homes (Victorian era, mostly) had this arrangement. The front door led to the entrance to the formal parlor, and both the door and parlor were rarely used even many decades later, unless the home had been redesigned at some point.

The back door led to the kitchen or to a mudroom that was off of the kitchen. Since the big old kitchen was likely the place where people would actually be spending time, they'd also be more likely to hear a knock on that door. Family, friends, and tradespeople came directly to the back. Even the local minister came to the back.

I heard it said many times that "back in the day," the front door and parlor were only used for really formal entertaining, or for visitation after a death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Sirotan posted:

That's actually the back door:

:sterv: