Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Prediction: There are enough decent creatures with utility spells taped to them that a wish with a good cheap speedbump body mode is gonna find a teir 2 or so home in Standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I'm not a fan of wishboard cards. Being able to tutor up answers like that sucks.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

President Ark posted:

also it isn't legendary so you can have more than one and unless i'm misreading this (which is entirely possible) it works and you'd get multiple spell copies

You're correct, but just to be clear it scales linearly and not quadratically, so if you have two of them you get 3 total adventures.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
i like the green land as a one of in titanshift actually

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

moush posted:

BO3 honestly isn't much different. You're either aggro or control because the only viable midrange deck is scapeshift.

What exactly counts as aggro or control in your eyes

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Eej posted:

What exactly counts as aggro or control in your eyes

Anyone playing a faster deck than me is a maniac, anyone playing a deck slower than me is an rear end in a top hat

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

GoutPatrol posted:

Anyone playing a weirder deck than me is a maniac, anyone playing Spirits or Lantern should die in real life, right now.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Lol what

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
The precise word to describe my feelings regarding Spirits is most easily pronounced by a freight train crashing through a full maternity ward.

Lantern I could probably get over by now, but Spirits is literally Counterspells.dec except the Counterspells attack for 2-8 in the air apiece.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Tubgoat posted:

The precise word to describe my feelings regarding Spirits is most easily pronounced by a freight train crashing through a full maternity ward.

Lantern I could probably get over by now, but Spirits is literally Counterspells.dec except the Counterspells attack for 2-8 in the air apiece.

https://youtu.be/xzpndHtdl9A

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
You quoted the part of my post that contains a point-by-point breakdown of exactly why. There's literally nothing that can be done about it, because they have a 3-mana counterspell that counters uncounterable spells and then gets to swing in for 4 in the air each turn.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

code:
"Tenacious Knight"
BR
Creature - Human Knight
Menace

At the beginning of your upkeep, each player draws a card and loses 1 life.
Illus. Chris Ralles	2/2

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
The composition of that art is GORGEOUS. Also the card seems fine.
And the Black-Red border and symbols go with it so well, and the Kanji is just icing. Mmm mmm MMM that is a handsome card.

Edit: Jason Chan must be flattered that the artist borrowed his cloudwork from Beseech the Queen.

Tubgoat fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Sep 18, 2019

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

join your tribe steve, duh

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Tubgoat posted:

Lol what

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Tubgoat posted:

You quoted the part of my post that contains a point-by-point breakdown of exactly why. There's literally nothing that can be done about it, because they have a 3-mana counterspell that counters uncounterable spells and then gets to swing in for 4 in the air each turn.

may I recommend playing the deck that includes the card Searing Blaze

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Yeah, there's a completely unnecessary number of Spirit lords and they don't loving need to give hexproof too, loving Christ. I don't know how the deck manages to drop a game. Or maybe each and every single game I've played against Spirits my opponent happened to get stasticially-impossibly lucky, just drawing the correct sequence of cards to stop me from doing anything except walking to the gas station and talking myself out of inhaling a bag of crisps.

Elyv posted:

may I recommend playing the deck that includes the card Searing Blaze
Countered, every time.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

3 mana 2/3s: notoriously hard to deal with in Magic: the Gathering.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Tubgoat posted:

Countered, every time.

You need to think about when they can do things and also that deck is unspectacular when it's on the back foot. Anecdata and all but I played against it 3 times in day 2 of GP Oakland and went 6-2, including games where I mulled to 4 and 5.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
^ ^ ^ Goodness! May my opponents ever be so unlucky.

suicidesteve posted:

3 mana 2/3s: notoriously hard to deal with in Magic: the Gathering.
Hexproof: notoriously easily targetted by your opponent.

Flash
When Nissa's Chosen enters the battlefield, exile target spell cast by an opponent in modern. If you can get through the 5 toughness and hexproof, you still won't get your spell back because you spent all your resources getting rid of one gigantic untargettable creature. Nice work.

Tubgoat fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Sep 18, 2019

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Lol spirits being considered a good deck

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Fine, I will just bring a GoPro and record each match against Spirits. It's odd how none of y'all ever manage to perfectly curve out with Spirits each game while holding counter mana up at literally all times. No wonder you guys don't think it's a good deck.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

ilmucche posted:

I'm not a fan of wishboard cards. Being able to tutor up answers like that sucks.

I don't like them because they're vastly more powerful in best-of-one because you don't need your sideboard, and generally aren't worth the cost if you don't get a free 15-card market.

Elyv posted:

code:
"Tenacious Knight"
BR
Creature - Human Knight
Menace

Illus. Chris Ralles	2/2

That's a hell of a reason to go red in the knights aggro deck.

Tubgoat posted:

perfectly curve out with Spirits each game while holding counter mana up at literally all times

Confused Dog dot jpg

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Hellsau posted:

Confused Dog dot jpg

Okay, so use of the word "literal" was inappropriate here because, as much as I complain about impenetrable walls of flying countermagic, they have mercifully not gotten the bright idea to play Mana Tithe and Force Spike is not modern legal, thank loving god.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Elyv posted:

code:
"Tenacious Knight"
BR
Creature - Human Knight
Menace

Illus. Chris Ralles	2/2

A shame they put Howling Mine Bear on such good art.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Elyv posted:

You need to think about when they can do things and also that deck is unspectacular when it's on the back foot. Anecdata and all but I played against it 3 times in day 2 of GP Oakland and went 6-2, including games where I mulled to 4 and 5.

This reminds me, I won a long grindy game where I mulled to 4 today, it was awesome. I love the London Mulligan.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Hellsau posted:

This reminds me, I won a long grindy game where I mulled to 4 today, it was awesome. I love the London Mulligan.
What matchup with which deck?

IS there a reason no one plays Mana Tithe? And presumably WotC feels Force Spike would be busted in modern? Or do they not want to lampshade the complete unplayability of Runeboggle?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Tubgoat posted:

IS there a reason no one plays Mana Tithe? And presumably WotC feels Force Spike would be busted in modern? Or do they not want to lampshade the complete unplayability of Runeboggle?

Pauper Tron against Pauper Jeskai.

Also Force Spike sucks against good decks and good players.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Hellsau posted:

Pauper Tron against Pauper Jeskai.

Also Force Spike sucks against good decks and good players.

Well sure! But you only need to land it once.

Pauper does actually look like tons of fun and even makes me feel a little bad about only being able to field Burn.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Tubgoat posted:

Well sure! But you only need to land it once.

Pauper does actually look like tons of fun and even makes me feel a little bad about only being able to field Burn.

how do you feel about the cards Arcum's Astrolabe, Prophetic Prism, and Ephemerate

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Elyv posted:

code:
"Tenacious Knight"
BR
Creature - Human Knight
Menace

Illus. Chris Ralles	2/2

I don't think this fits in the Knights deck. It doesn't snowball and it draws your opponent into a board clear. Maybe in a midrange deck or something. Symmetrical effects have to be way in your favor to be good and drawing is too good for everyone. If the draw is a wash then it's a bear with menace aka draft chaff.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Magic Underwear posted:

I don't think this fits in the Knights deck. It doesn't snowball and it draws your opponent into a board clear. Maybe in a midrange deck or something. Symmetrical effects have to be way in your favor to be good and drawing is too good for everyone. If the draw is a wash then it's a bear with menace aka draft chaff.

No, you do not want to play this in a midrange deck. Giving your opponent free cards is bad in that case. You want that knight if you don't mind a 3/2 menace for 2 and plan on emptying your hand and killing the opponent before their extra cards matter.

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

The BR Knight gives you first crack at a card and enables spectacle on turn 3 which seems really good in the all or nothing BR aggro deck.

Being able to slam your light up the stage pre-combat to hit hasty 1 drop knight seems important in that decks game plan if it’s not going for some creature only build

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

its not quite symmetrical since it happens on your turn so you get initiative. also you're trying to kill them by turn 3 or 4 before they wrath

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Tubgoat posted:

Tithe is sometimes played in Bogles in the SB, just to gently caress with people.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

It is going to single-handedly fuel a wishboard combo deck at some point.

Yeah Fae of Wishes + Lucky Clover seems exactly easy enough to break at some point, though I suppose with wishes still being broken after the exile change it doesn't go actual infinite.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Yeah, wishes not grabbing exiled cards means you can't just loop it with Karn's Temporal Sundering.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

ShaneB posted:

Lol spirits being considered a good deck

There's guy at my lgs who demolishes everyone with spirits. When it goes off it's brutal to deal with.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Elyv posted:

code:
"Tenacious Knight"
BR
Creature - Human Knight
Menace

Illus. Chris Ralles	2/2

I HAVE THE POWEEEEEEER!!!

Both players drawing makes me think twice but I suppose it suits the aggro player better, especially with life loss and a creature that demands 2 blockers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Okay I know we like to make fun of bad Bobs but that's gotta take the cake.

Pretty funny in a discard deck though, maybe along with skelemental et al?