Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
So event leviathan's big bad clues are massive red herrings right? It is gonna suck if it is mark shaw or Paul Kirk with the help of the council or st dumas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
How is DC doing? Any honest-to-good stuff they've put out this year? (I am in Mister Miracle limbo and haven't read a cape comic in a while)

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Schneider Heim posted:

How is DC doing? Any honest-to-good stuff they've put out this year? (I am in Mister Miracle limbo and haven't read a cape comic in a while)

Greg Rucka's Lois Lane for monthly comics.

Harley Quinn: Breaking Glass deserves a lot more attention here.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Roth posted:

Greg Rucka's Lois Lane for monthly comics.

Harley Quinn: Breaking Glass deserves a lot more attention here.

Lois has an ongoing?? Sold.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

And Matt Fraction's Jimmy Olsen comic. If Bendis is good for one thing it's getting his pals involved.

edit: The Dreaming is the best comic they, or anyone is putting out.
Snyder's Justice League is bonkers fun too, with great art.

Very curious about Jeff Lemire/Keith Giffen's new comic out today. No idea what to expect.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Sep 18, 2019

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
So Flash Forward was awful.

I really want a good Wally book and for him to be treated well, but this was just a Heroes in Crisis recap, and we all know how that went.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Batman's good again:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

mmm cornerstore champagne

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Always knew Magnum P.I. was the hero Gotham needed.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Schneider Heim posted:

HQ: Breaking Glass was really really good

site fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Sep 18, 2019

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Teenage Fansub posted:

Batman's good again:

That shot is hilarious. I'm picturing Batman startling the criminal by kicking over bags of chips on the floor. Dude is supposed to be stealthy, why is he standing on loud crunchy snacks?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Batman is Archer now?

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

so is Dick standing in for Bruce in Justice League? i feel like there was at least once early on where he was and it would explain some of his quips and his attitude towards Jarro. also I love Dick-Bat. i know there's poo poo going on in Nightwing that might prohibit this, but also the stuff going on in Batman would hypothetically prohibit Bruce from being there, so it's not like any of that makes sense

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

He was in a full body cast for a while in JL and there was nothing about that in Batman. You can't try and square that stuff.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

He was in a full body cast for a while in JL and there was nothing about that in Batman. You can't try and square that stuff.

that's why I want it to be Dick-Bats, cause why the gently caress not

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

There is no Dick Bats, there is only Ric Grayson, the Gray Son.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Parallax posted:

so is Dick standing in for Bruce in Justice League? i feel like there was at least once early on where he was and it would explain some of his quips and his attitude towards Jarro. also I love Dick-Bat. i know there's poo poo going on in Nightwing that might prohibit this, but also the stuff going on in Batman would hypothetically prohibit Bruce from being there, so it's not like any of that makes sense

It's Bruce as Batman in JL. Sorry. I love Dick-Bat too, but nice things like that can't happen in comics. Gotta keep some semblance of status quo lest the fanboys get too agitated.

Inferior Five is setting up as a mystery box mini so issue #1 is all questions and no answers.

King's Batman still rubs me the wrong way and I honestly didn't need another issue of Bat and Cat bullshit

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

When I see the word "dick bats" I mentally add "whooo ooh" to the end of it, like I'm singing the Duck Tales theme song. Dick Bats, Woooh OOoooh..

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Pitwar posted:

So Flash Forward was awful.

I really want a good Wally book and for him to be treated well, but this was just a Heroes in Crisis recap, and we all know how that went.

There wasn't even enough content in it for me to judge it, which itself is a massive criticism I suppose.

It's not unusual for Wally, after suffering a great tragedy, to dwell on it and mope a bit but I also didn't need like 8 pages of Didio's weird wannabe Living Tribunal OC monologing.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

For those that got upset about Alfreds quick trip to snap city a few issues back, from the looks of it that was some sort of red herring and he's probably alright, and Damian getting caught was all part of the plan

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

McCloud posted:

For those that got upset about Alfreds quick trip to snap city a few issues back, from the looks of it that was some sort of red herring and he's probably alright, and Damian getting caught was all part of the plan

the solicits for Dec mention the loss of Alfred, so either Alfred is gonna continue to pretend to be dead, or this takes place before the necksnap

or misleading solicits I suppose

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

McCloud posted:

This issue takes place before #77.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Open Marriage Night posted:

This issue takes place before #77.

gonna assume he still has some grand plan or else he just sent in his son and endangered his "father" while he's gallivanting on a beach sipping ginger ale

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

McCloud posted:

I think it takes place the events you describe because he talks about sending Damien into Gotham and Damien has already been captured

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Madkal posted:

I think it takes place the events you describe because he talks about sending Damien into Gotham and Damien has already been captured

Also there's a little box that says "Takes place before Batman #77" which is when it happens

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
So Bruce okayed Damien selling his soul to a demon?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gaunab posted:

So Bruce okayed Damien selling his soul to a demon?

Let's be fair, Damian would've done it anyway if it gave him a way to be smug while beating a way stronger opponent, Bruce just gave him an excuse.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I think it's fairly obvious that between him sending in Damian and getting a message that Alfred is somewhere safe, the whole thing is a misdirect. The real Alfred wasn't necksnapped, Robin being caught is all part of the plan, and the solicits are either lying or worded in a way to trick you. Look forward to the penultimate issue where the whole issue is a flashback of BatCat planning the heist, complete with Life Model Decoys to trick them into thinking they have Alfred in custody or whatever. Or Batman just sent his kid in to the lions den for no good reason and got his dad killed, which would probably be the grossest display of incompetence in his entire 80 year publishing career. Either is likely at this point tbh

McCloud fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 19, 2019

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Teenage Fansub posted:

And Matt Fraction's Jimmy Olsen comic. If Bendis is good for one thing it's getting his pals involved.

edit: The Dreaming is the best comic they, or anyone is putting out.
Snyder's Justice League is bonkers fun too, with great art.

Very curious about Jeff Lemire/Keith Giffen's new comic out today. No idea what to expect.

I've no idea Fraction was writing for DC now, too. I'll look that up.

Is Snyder's JL run connected to the JL run that started with Rebirth? That one was fairly mediocre/average from what I heard, but I'm a sucker for team books (unless they're extremely bad--I managed Nu52 Justice League fine).

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
So what the heck is an Apex Lex?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Schneider Heim posted:

Is Snyder's JL run connected to the JL run that started with Rebirth? That one was fairly mediocre/average from what I heard, but I'm a sucker for team books (unless they're extremely bad--I managed Nu52 Justice League fine).

Nah, though Chris Priest's run between them was good.
Snyder's run follows on from his Metal event, then the Justice League: No Justice miniseries.

Cassa posted:

The Justice League broke the Source Wall, which released this cosmic lady who had birthed the universe for evil before her kids, Monitor, Antimonitor and a new guy, shut her away.
Lex has let her turn him into one of the "apex predator" creatures she originally populated her evil universe with. This also involved him absorbing Martian Manhunter.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Sep 19, 2019

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cassa posted:

Luthor blew himself up and then came back in a clone body only genetically redesigned to match Perpetua's* original blueprint for humanity. Supposedly it makes him better in... ways... that we haven't really seen, in practice thus far it's just allowed him to act like even more of a prick.

*Perpetua is the heretofore never mentioned creator/god of the multiverse who was sealed away behind the Source Wall because her plans were some kinda hosed up "only the strong survive" hell earths.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Wow I am really behind on comics

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

why not just call him

apelex

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Because he hasn't been turned into a gorilla.

Yet

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Everything about Snyder's (and Tynion's) run has been complex weirdness but I love it for it. It feels like a true heir to Morrison's JLA run.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
It's been ok but mostly felt like an ultimately hollow riff on a Morrison-esque story, but then I'm a Morrison fan boy so maybe I'm not being fair.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Snyder's/Tynion's Justice League is a whole lot of fun to read and isn't afraid to just do batshit weird things so I will never hate it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It's extremely comic books in the best way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

enigmahfc posted:

Snyder's/Tynion's Justice League is a whole lot of fun to read and isn't afraid to just do batshit weird things so I will never hate it.

It is gold for Jarro as the latest batkid orphan turned vigilante Batman picked up alone.