Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
For a country that was literally founded on rejecting colonialism we sure have found new and exciting ways to kick it into high gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Nastier Nate posted:

For a country that was literally founded on rejecting colonialism we sure have found new and exciting ways to kick it into high gear.

when did the us reject colonialism? they rejected being colonial subjects, not colonialism.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Nastier Nate posted:

A giant reason for the rebellion was because the British actually had a treaty with the Iroquios so the American colonies couldnt expand past the Appalachians. We literally fought our revolutionary war for the right to perform colonialism.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

A giant reason for the rebellion was because the British actually had a treaty with the Iroquios so the American colonies couldnt expand past the Appalachians. We literally fought our revolutionary war for the right to perform colonialism.

its this. american rev was the absolute example of the boug realizing instead of just increasing their power in the colonial era they could usurp it from the high aristocracy entirely. like everything american its just taking some poo poo europe half assed and turning it up to 11. give absolute power to the directly colonizing boug instead of the court or some high boug middlemen, carve out an exclusive target, and make that your entire economy instead of just a layer of it

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Kyle Hyde posted:

gently caress it, just wipe me clean and stick me in Plato's cave. Better than hellworld

Born in the hellworld
Reverted to Plato's cave
Shadows of objects
Are all that I crave

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Born in the hellworld
Reverted to Plato's cave
Shadows of objects
Are all that I crave

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

As well, Somerset v Stewart also played a role in the decision of the southern states in seceding from Great Britain.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

bloomberg posted:

SoftBank Vision Fund has been a major investor in some of this year’s most significant listings. Uber Technologies Inc. and Slack Technologies Inc. were among them. Both have fallen this quarter, dragging down the value of the Fund.

There is a pattern to how the Vision Fund keeps returns climbing. Buy in at a later round of a startup’s funding, list the company a year or two later, and book the mark-to-market gains.

Sounds simple, except for the one-two punch that follows: SoftBank, like most pre-IPO investors, is generally locked in and can’t cash out that profit for at least a year. Additionally, IPO shares have a tendency to perform badly in their first year. For SoftBank and the Vision Fund, that means quick gains turn to slow public-market losses that need to be booked every period, hurting returns in subsequent quarters.

To paper over these losses, the Fund can book gains by bringing its next hot offering to market. That means that as long as there’s a healthy IPO each quarter, the pain from public-market declines can be squelched. So the model becomes: IPO gain, public-market losses, IPO gain. And around again.
With WeWork, however, the merry-go-round risks turning into musical chairs. The game needs IPOs on the floor or the music stops. Had WeWork gone public before Sept. 30, and at a healthy premium to the various prices SoftBank paid through its funding rounds, then such paper profits likely would have covered over losses caused by the 26% decline in Uber’s shares so far this quarter and the 30% drop in those for Slack.

So weird to read Bloomberg, the biggest and bestest financial media company on earth, and have them just come out and say "of course it's a meaningless ponzi scheme and none of these businesses are viable, but we just need to keep pushing the ipos through somehow to keep the game running for another quarter"

And like nobody is trying to arrest these assholes?

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Actually, there is a social media platform worse than Facebook or Twitter, that promotes + monetizes literal death, like this doozy of a push notification that came through my pocket device

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Man Musk posted:

Actually, there is a social media platform worse than Facebook or Twitter, that promotes + monetizes literal death, like this doozy of a push notification that came through my pocket device

I'm just gonna pretend that's a funny comedy subreddit where people are fuckin' dyin' over here because they're laughing so hard :colbert:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Also that reminds me, in the morning before the BBC international news comes on the radio, NPR does an announcement that such and such show is "Brought to you in part by Reddit!" and I involuntarily cringe every time.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Shame Boy posted:

I'm just gonna pretend that's a funny comedy subreddit where people are fuckin' dyin' over here because they're laughing so hard :colbert:

It’s a harmless comedy subreddit. Nothing to do with actual deaths

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Brain Curry posted:

Yeah, the gimmick is you post a video of, say, a puppy tugging the sock off somebody and give it a title like "man loses foot to vicious wolf!".

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Colonel Cancer posted:

Maoist third worldist presumably. Same can be said for a lot of activists though, if you have time and energy to do it you are more likely than not to be privileged enough not to work 2 jobs and stuff.

Explains why every Anarchist punk I've met has a trust fund.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Brain Curry posted:

There used to be reddits that were what he thought it was but those have been aggressively banned for some time now.

This is just a cute subreddit. Example from the current front page:
https://v.redd.it/x9em7elya4n31
https://www.reddit.com/r/PeopleFuckingDying/comments/d5e6jc/creepy_stalker_place_camera_to_check_on_his_victem/

Or one I can inline, this picture:

With the title "TeRriBle CAr aCcidEnt"

hobbesmaster has issued a correction as of 17:36 on Sep 17, 2019

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Forceholy posted:

Explains why every Anarchist punk I've met has a trust fund.

kinda hard to do anarchism with cops constantly breathing down your neck

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
Did I post this already?

https://twitter.com/ClarissaRedwine/status/1173995672913268737

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Colonel Cancer posted:

I'd be a lot more worried about the rich sucking out your memories and skills and injecting them into themselves like in that forgettable sci-fi short story from like 1969

that was a different jim carrey documentary, batman forever

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

didnt know they were already selling epstein island

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
the guy fieri real estate school

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Flavortown’s top realtor

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Gettin horned up for a general strike :berninator:

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
i keep getting ads for "design pickle" that begin with the owner talking about how designers have ego because tHe mArKeT determines their value

design pickle is a service that offers "unlimited design" and a dedicated designer for $400 a month and all of their designers are in the philippines.

there are lots of verrrrry exploitative design services out there but it's still pretty rare to begin your ad with five white guys in a conference room spouting randian talking points

Polo-Rican has issued a correction as of 14:34 on Sep 18, 2019

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Polo-Rican posted:

i keep getting ads for "design pickle" that begin with the owner talking about how designers have ego because tHe mArKeT determines their value

design pickle is a service that offers "unlimited design" and a dedicated designer for $400 a month and all of their designers are in the philippines.

Why are you getting ads at all, you have a moral imperative to block them to prevent the spread of both malware and the malware of the mind, capitalism :colbert:

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

This is so wrong. :whitewater:

https://twitter.com/hasbezosdecided/status/1174275820682207233?s=21

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
What's this? Oh I call it 'help I just got loving shot chic'

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i'll have a sandie hookdie please

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Why are they in some kind of windowless concrete bunker

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah the hoodies are already shot up, a bit late now innit

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

looked up that company and they sell 100 dollar t shirts and 300 dollar "dress shorts"

little munchkin has issued a correction as of 15:25 on Sep 18, 2019

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

little munchkin posted:

looked up that company and they sell 10 dollar t shirts and 300 dollar "dress shorts"

What else do you expect me to wear on my yacht :colbert:

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
meant to say 100 dollars, sorry

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

little munchkin posted:

looked up that company and they sell 100 dollar t shirts and 300 dollar "dress shorts"

Wow, must be a no name brand, real brand name t-shirts cost $400.

I was really hoping that this was some kind of art show and the sweatshirts were normal ones for for those highschools from a local wal-mart or whatever and not actual products.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Shame Boy posted:

Why are they in some kind of windowless concrete bunker

It's a walk-off.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
it's a panic room

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

Irradiation posted:

It's a walk-off.

:hmmyes:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

At least when your kid gets killed in a drive by, you can sell his blood caked clothes to the rich to cover the funeral!

Actually, I wonder if you could sue the hospital for cutting away his clothes destroying their value.

happyhippy has issued a correction as of 16:58 on Sep 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Let's be fair, bottom tier is premium content under capitalism too.