Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

I am finding Maddening NG+ to be a really satisfying difficulty. I am still making risky decisions, swapping items around and making clever use of Arts/Gambits but I'm not resetting every 20 seconds.

Btw, a weird question, but... Is Tea Time worth it? It doesn't increase motivation, only your friendship and the chance to increase charm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Charm is incredibly important for gambit accuracy, and byleth gets a lot or free tea time via birthday.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Calico Heart posted:

I am finding Maddening NG+ to be a really satisfying difficulty. I am still making risky decisions, swapping items around and making clever use of Arts/Gambits but I'm not resetting every 20 seconds.

Btw, a weird question, but... Is Tea Time worth it? It doesn't increase motivation, only your friendship and the chance to increase charm?

I mostly like how maddening ng+ lets you use all your fun ng+ toys and still kicks your rear end

though I had like nobody with death/darting blow so I still need to learn that en masse, it's worth it though

I don't need to double when I do 48 damage with one hit :getin:

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Charm also helps you evade enemy gambits. It's quite worth it. It also costs nothing (well, outside of the time it takes to google the tea time answers)

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Cool cool. People always bang on about certain Stats not being "good", but on Maddening I definitely appreciate all of them growing. Funnily enough, Speed actually seems less useful as all enemies now have much higher Dex and Speed.

Speaking of - is there a resource online that breaks down that Stats in detail? Ie, 1 point Dex = +.75% Accuracy or something?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Calico Heart posted:

Cool cool. People always bang on about certain Stats not being "good", but on Maddening I definitely appreciate all of them growing. Funnily enough, Speed actually seems less useful as all enemies now have much higher Dex and Speed.

Speaking of - is there a resource online that breaks down that Stats in detail? Ie, 1 point Dex = +.75% Accuracy or something?

Unless you're a god tank, that just means you need speed more, so you can avoid being doubled and immediately eating poo poo.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

Marianne imo would benefit from Dark Knight. Her spell list for healing is miserable for a designated healer but her actual black magic spells are pretty baller and she’d love the damage boost.

Honestly I’ve been waning on Gremory. I think only Lysithea and Manuela really want the class. It’s not very good.

I agree, yeah. Though I'd also submit Dorothea as a good Gremory because it gets her two Meteor charges, and much like Lysithea, she has a kickass enough Magic growth to be able to do without Tomefaire. I'd keep her a Warlock, but the extra point of move that Gremory gets is a nice benefit.

Every other caster should probably go Dark Knight. Holy Knight looks very cool but is kind of a dud. If it got bonus healing or bonus white magic uses it'd be great, but as it is, there isn't a single unit I'm aware of whose white magic attack spells are better than their black magic spells, and that means the one thing Holy Knight has over Dark Knight (White Tomefaire) is just kinda :shrug:. Maybe you could use it to make someone a better Nosferatu tank but this ain't Awakening, so again, :shrug:.

OddObserver posted:

Yes, though for Felix's shield the passive effect is kinda a big deal?

Yeah, it's kind of the whole point of that shield. Though on NG+ you could just give anyone the matching crest stone in their inventory and you're golden.

Though this does make me wonder how Felix would be as a Fortress Knight. He is the only unit in the game who can use the Pavise + Aegis-granting shield without NG+ bonuses, and the only other item that can offer that passive is a staff with a much better primary effect that should stay on a spellcaster. He doesn't have a weakness in heavy armor, and he has great Strength and Speed growth (maybe even enough to slightly counteract Fortress Knight's speed penalty?). It's the kind of crack build I wouldn't try on a "serious" run (especially not my first Maddening run) but could be fun on a "make everyone something weird" run.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Sep 18, 2019

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Calico Heart posted:

Cool cool. People always bang on about certain Stats not being "good", but on Maddening I definitely appreciate all of them growing. Funnily enough, Speed actually seems lessuseful as all enemies now have much higher Dex and Speed.

From what I can tell of the ingame: Dexterity = Base Hit before weapon accuracy and skills, and Evasion = Attack Speed (so Speed minus weight penalties) + skill/terrain boosts. Serene s Forest is the most reliable resource for Fire Emblem and that didn’t have anything so idk about Charm’s effect on Gambit’s Hit/damage

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Thanks for the info!

I'm on my Blue Lions run on Maddening and LOL these characters all feel so much more developed than some of the others, especially in terms of their relationship with one another.

I especially found on the BE/Church route that all the characters where just kind of... Standing around each other and saying their one line, without really interacting or having too much familiarity and warmth towards each other. This might be down to the mix of weirdos and personalities in the group - Edelgard is emotionless 80& of the game, Hubert is hostile towards everyone, Ferdinand hates Edelgard, Bernie is a recluse and Lindhart naps all the time.

One of the most glaring examples of this is checking Caspar's history in-game and it saying "there he met Lindhart and became close friends". Uh, what? I've essentially played through the game with these motherfuckers twice and would believe it if the game stated they had never met before. They have like... One interaction about food outside of their supports, right? They never mention each other, whereas everyone in the BL are close friends and talk about their relationships constantly, even (gasp!) mentioning those who are absent.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

All the black eagles are great

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Andrast posted:

All the black eagles are great

As individual individuals, I think there are very few bad characters in this game and they are all fairly charming and well realised. As a group (especially compared to GD and BL) the BE just feel like a bunch of people forced together who are on kinda good terms but don't have much chemistry or love for one another.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

I think that's right. Both GD and BL have several pairs that are implied to be friends before their C supports, and plenty of pairs that bond well on their C supports. But the BE don't really have preexisting friendships outside of Edelgard-Hubert, and they tend not to open up until their B supports. That's also why I believe the BESF (which should have been called BEST) doesn't exist on the other routes.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

BL definitely has the best chemistry among the cast. It also helps that many of them are connected to the main plot in some ways (Sylvain, Ashe, Mercedes to a degree) so the story feels more personal and we see more of their character moments instead of just, "here's our mission for for the month, guess we'll have to do it"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cuntellectual posted:

What about all the good things war has done for us? Why don't we ever hear speeches about that? Jobs, technology, a common purpose. All I'm saying, is maybe give war a chance!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L2Gve7oh_4

It shows the world that we've got stones

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
So I'm partway through my second playthrough (Black Eagles, Hard Classic), and I just found out about some mechanic called "Travelers". What the hell is this? How have I missed it? I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread, but it's in the tutorial menus and I've seen people talking about it on gamefaqs, etc.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

golden bubble posted:

I think that's right. Both GD and BL have several pairs that are implied to be friends before their C supports, and plenty of pairs that bond well on their C supports. But the BE don't really have preexisting friendships outside of Edelgard-Hubert, and they tend not to open up until their B supports. That's also why I believe the BESF (which should have been called BEST) doesn't exist on the other routes.

Eldegard, Ferdinand and Hubert begins with a good 'friendship'. However, every other characters semi quickly begins liking each others.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Arkeus posted:

Eldegard, Ferdinand and Hubert begins with a good 'friendship'. However, every other characters semi quickly begins liking each others.

I dunno, by the end of both playthroughs I didn't feel like the group were as close as GD were, or even as close as the BL are at the start of the game. I think it sticks out especially consideringon on Edelgard route they all have to make the toughest choice any group has to on any route, but imo they never really feel like a "band of brothers" or in some cases even like they like each other.

Even then though, the dynamics I think just feel less interesting. Case in point; the conversations Felix has with BL folks in which he's being a loving bellend are more engrossing and heated than Ferdinand saying "you know I'm as good as Edelgard >:(" or Hubert saying "No is as good as Edelgard >:(" (again, I think those haracters are still interesting and fun but those aspects grow old fast)

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Sep 18, 2019

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Chapter 13 Maddening down. Dimitri borrowed Ingrid's Luin for five years, chugged a few Strength boosters and equipped Swordbreaker, then had Byleth buff him with Retribution. Turns out it's a very different map when you can oneshot the rear end in a top hat thieves and counterkill the archers and don't have to play a losing defensive game. I gave Mercedes Impregnable Wall too, but I didn't end up needing it because the Assassins and Grapplers that cornered her and Annette all got aggro'd towards Dimitri instead. It was a bit anticlimatic after the (over)preparation I did but I'm not complaining.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I mean, considering Edelgard’s goals it makes sense that several of her classmates hate the class system and/or current government structure ie Hubert hates his dad, Bernadetta was traumatized because her dad beat and tortured her for not being wife material for a noble, Caspar is the second son so he gets no inheritance, Dorothea hates the nobility, Petra was kidnapped by the Empire as a child and wants Brighid to be independent, etc. I guess Ferdinand and Lindhardt are the two who are only there due to their fathers being high up in the Empire. Also Lysithea fits into Edelgard’s class perfectly because CRESTS SUCK so it’s cool that you can recruit her in chapter 13 or whatever.

Edit: but you’re all correct that they start as kind of a random assortment but get tight by the end of the game.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Sep 18, 2019

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I mean, considering Edelgard’s goals it makes sense that several of her classmates hate the class system and/or current government structure ie Hubert hates his dad, Bernadetta was traumatized because her dad beat and tortured her for not being wife material for a noble, Caspar is the second son so he gets no inheritance, Dorothea hates the nobility, Petra was kidnapped by the Empire as a child and wants Brighid to be independent, etc. I guess Ferdinand and Lindhardt are the two who are only there due to their fathers being high up in the Empire. Also Lysithea fits into Edelgard’s class perfectly because CRESTS SUCK so it’s cool that you can recruit her in chapter 13 or whatever.

Oh yeah, for what it's worth I'm not saying any of that doesn't make sense - I'm saying I don't think it's very well done in-game and that the chemistry between them all isn't as good as it could have been. Like I said I would have believed Caspar and Lindy had never met before but apparently they're best friends in canon.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ferdinand is also insanely loyal to Edelgard, he just shows it in a weird way.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Ferdinand is really earnest about how he feels his responsibility as both an official and a friend to Edelgard is to be a check on her power so that she can be the best person and ruler that she can be. he sees himself as the angel on her shoulder to hubert being her devil.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CYBEReris posted:

Ferdinand is really earnest about how he feels his responsibility as both an official and a friend to Edelgard is to be a check on her power so that she can be the best person and ruler that she can be. he sees himself as the angel on her shoulder to hubert being her devil.

and then he marries the devil and Edelgard is jealous of them

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

golden bubble posted:

The Golden Deer are a (very charming) ragtag bunch of misfits which is a very good reflection of the Alliance itself, and Claude himself even tells you as much when you sign up to teach the class, and after the reunion at dawn chapter he even notes that the nobles among them come from families with split allegiances in the war and they all have various motivations for taking the fight to the empire, but they still make it work; by god did they make it work

That having been said yeah there’s still some preexisting relationships like Marianne and Hilda being close or Raphael and Ignatz being close, or Lorenz keeping tabs on Claude

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Calico Heart posted:

I dunno, by the end of both playthroughs I didn't feel like the group were as close as GD were, or even as close as the BL are at the start of the game. I think it sticks out especially consideringon on Edelgard route they all have to make the toughest choice any group has to on any route, but imo they never really feel like a "band of brothers" or in some cases even like they like each other.

Even then though, the dynamics I think just feel less interesting. Case in point; the conversations Felix has with BL folks in which he's being a loving bellend are more engrossing and heated than Ferdinand saying "you know I'm as good as Edelgard >:(" or Hubert saying "No is as good as Edelgard >:(" (again, I think those haracters are still interesting and fun but those aspects grow old fast)

Maybe you didn't have high supports between them by the end? It feels like their relationships really grows over time, and some details like Bernedetta only leaving her room as a normal thing on BE-E route is :heart:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Andrast posted:

and then he marries the devil and Edelgard is jealous of them
more like "Edelgard breathes a sigh of relief because that means she can marry her wife in peace"

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Blaziken386 posted:

more like "Edelgard breathes a sigh of relief because that means she can marry her wife in peace"

She's jealous because they are so glorious together

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The BL are super tight nit compared to the other two houses. Felix, Sylvain, Ingrid, and Dimitri all grew up together and Mercedes and Annette are joined at the hip from the word go. The only outliers are Dedue - who is Dimitri's sworn man and pretty quickly gets the rest of the group to warm up to him - and Ashe - who was the adopted son of a Kingdom noble the rest of the group holds in high regard, so he's treated well and folded into the group as well. The only real friction is Felix's disdain for how thick everybody lays on the knightly virtue shtick, and Ingrid's wariness of Dedue in their C support. The interplay of their shared history is interesting and makes for some good moments, particularly in Part 2.

The GD are just kind of there. They're a likable group for sure, but none of them really have pre-existing history and they all seem to get along fine with relatively little friction. A fun group but the dynamic isn't very interesting imo.

BE is the most eclectic mix for sure. Hubert and Ferdinand start off hating one another, Ferdinand also initially dislikes Edelgard and is constantly trying to one-up her, Petra is essentially a political hostage to ensure her recently invaded country remains a good little colony, Caspar consequently feels bad because it was his dad who carried out said invasion, Lindhart absolutely does not give a gently caress and this pisses off everybody, and Dorothea is a commoner who got in because she wants to find a rich husband. Their part 1 supports with one another are all great because they have a lot of issues with one another they have to slowly work through and get over, which makes them all coming back after the timeskip to support Byleth and Edelgard feel all the more rewarding.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

I know this has been asked a lot - but is Gilbert deffers still recruitable if you let him get taken down in Chapter 5 (the one with Miklan)? Keeping him up and fighting on Maddening is impossible

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Calico Heart posted:

I know this has been asked a lot - but is Gilbert deffers still recruitable if you let him get taken down in Chapter 5 (the one with Miklan)? Keeping him up and fighting on Maddening is impossible

Yes, but remember that Gilbert only joins on Blue Lions and only after the timeskip.

Also it's done automatically

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

I let him die in Chapter 5 and he just joined me, in Chapter 13

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Calico Heart posted:

Gilbert getting owned is an integral part of the Gilbert experience. There’s no penalty.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Like the whole reason he exists on the map is to charge the divine beast and get creamed so the player understands mindlessly charging it is a bad thing.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sydin posted:

Like the whole reason he exists on the map is to charge the divine beast and get creamed so the player understands mindlessly charging it is a bad thing.

as if he's ever making it that far

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Are you telling me he doesn’t get smoked by mages from the rear by the time you get to Miklan

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Petra and Ashe have a very cute A+ support :3:

I was looking to hook him up with Marianne this time but I recruited her so late that they missed their C support so it's a no go. I didn't know that could happen, though it makes sense considering how she is pre-timeskip.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
How many supports lock you out after the timeskip? Ashe/Marianne is the only one I know of.

There are a lot more I can think of that probably should lock you out (Dimitri/Sylvain is just ridiculous after the timeskip).

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

What binds the Eagles together is that they are pretty much victims of abuse, and they have to process and deal with that before they can come together as people. I absolutely think they are very close by the end of the game, at least on El's route, as things close in you see everyone's reactions and how they stick together. It's great because it feels like they really grow together, rather than just starting as friends.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

How many supports lock you out after the timeskip? Ashe/Marianne is the only one I know of.

There are a lot more I can think of that probably should lock you out (Dimitri/Sylvain is just ridiculous after the timeskip).

Literally every support Byleth has with church characters and faculty and maybe more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
IntSys are cowards for not making this as DLC