Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Might want to keep an eye on Shurmur

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Zurreco posted:

Maybe he will just quit on his own at this point?

While he does have a history of doing that, he’s not butting heads with a GM or owner (afaik) that would drive him to do so at this time

And this Minshew character seems somewhat Orton-esque, so unless Minshew decides to retire out of nowhere they’ll probably just have to fire his rear end

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Firing Shurmur would be an injustice, this is what happens when you get rid of every single one of your good players on defense... you get a lovely defense. Just read they're gonna start Daniel Jones, so much for 3 years but I don't believe he'll change all that much for them

Tomlin has to be getting pretty hot, if they lose to the 49ers this coming week especially. The 49ers are SEVEN point favorites, I think Vegas is a bit off with that

Really so many teams struggled last week. An uninspiring batch of football games

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Tomlin gets until the end of the season for sure

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Riverboat Ron has to be at least mild right?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

CyberPingu posted:

Riverboat Ron has to be at least mild right?

cam might be retiring today and there's no reason to keep him around after the season

https://twitter.com/JourdanRodrigue/status/1173980491437039617?s=20

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Nfl 100 dead players

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I would be shocked if the Steelers fired Tomlin. It's not how they've operated ever.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

FizFashizzle posted:

cam might be retiring today and there's no reason to keep him around after the season

https://twitter.com/JourdanRodrigue/status/1173980491437039617?s=20

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1173982834287099904?s=20

Play
Apr 25, 2006

DariusLikewise posted:

Tomlin gets until the end of the season for sure

Right, yeah I wasn't saying otherwise. But I think that decision could be made earlier in the season, if the product on the field is bad enough. Losing to the 49ers and the Bengals and starting 0-4 would be pretty bad, for example. With Ben injured it might make sense to move on in a few different ways, although for me I think Tomlin is a fine coach

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Tomlin gets a pass with Rothesberger's injury. Them must still feel they can win the division otherwise why trade off your number one pick?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Darth Brooks posted:

Tomlin gets a pass with Rothesberger's injury. Them must still feel they can win the division otherwise why trade off your number one pick?

I 90% agree with you but the recent turmoil within the organization makes me wonder if the season goes bad enough they will look at jettisoning him and Big Ben to get a fresh start.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Darth Brooks posted:

Well honestly, trading the number one pick feels a bit like a desperation move to save the season and thus some jobs

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Keep in mind the main part of the ownership group that wanted Tomlin out is now in Carolina.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

If Tomlin was fired he would immediately become everyone's number one coaching prospect. Even the Patriots would quietly wonder just how many years Belichick would have before retiring and should they do something now.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Darth Brooks posted:

If Tomlin was fired he would immediately become everyone's number one coaching prospect. Even the Patriots would quietly wonder just how many years Belichick would have before retiring and should they do something now.

Right, but whether it's a good idea or not doesn't always factor in. I agree they should stick with him unless there's someone they really love and think could do a much better job. The Steelers will probably win a few games and all this talk will quiet down, but opening the season like they did and then Ben getting injured, it just seems like a natural fault point where instituting some changes makes sense.

Someone mentioned Ron Rivera. Cam's injured again, there's a new owner and usually new owners pick new staff sooner rather than later. Definitely could be his last year, depending on the relationship he's cultivated with Tepper

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Darth Brooks posted:

Yeah this was my first thought too (minus the Pats part). All the guys who are "moderate" would immediately get shot into the sun if the team could land Tomlin, I think.

Also if he hits the market he'd be able to demand so much money lol, thanks to what Gruden was able to scam out of Mark Davis.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
At this point I think Kraft is just going to keep on riding the Brady-Belichick train until the wheels fall off.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Tomlin to the dolphins.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We'll take a gently used Tomlin with a chip on his soldier and something to prove, tia

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
You guys are insane if you think Tomlin is going anywhere.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Jags trade for tomlin. What's the price

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

EmbryoSteve posted:

Jags trade for tomlin. What's the price

The Gardner, a perfect fit for Heinz Field grass
Jax the mascot
Josh Scobee's best wishes
Ownership of "we ended Marino: 62-7" historical fact

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Steelers won't fire Tomlin...

...they'll ask for his resignation.

They've never fired a coach. I expect that to be part of their "brand" going forward.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

At this point I think Kraft is just going to keep on riding the Brady-Belichick train until the wheels fall off.

Why would you think anything else???

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Hunt11 posted:

Doing anything else would be insanely stupid.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Although, trading the last couple years of Belichick for a bad guard who gets cut and a DB who plays special teams would be an extremely poetic end to his tenure.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Hunt11 posted:

No poo poo?

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

LabyaMynora posted:

Steelers won't fire Tomlin...

...they'll ask for his resignation.

They've never fired a coach. I expect that to be part of their "brand" going forward.

When Cowher went 6-10 and 7-9 in 1998 and 1999 was there an outcry to fire him then? What about when he went 6-10 in 2003?

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Lol if anything this will make Tom coughlin support him more. If you ask him to choose between a brash young black man or a worthless fat disciplinarian I think we all know how that story ends

fire coughlin

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Nystral posted:

When Cowher went 6-10 and 7-9 in 1998 and 1999 was there an outcry to fire him then? What about when he went 6-10 in 2003?

I definitely remember a lot of "IS IT TIME TO RETIRE???" takes during that 2003 year, which of course was immediately forgotten when he won his ring 2 years later

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
"Won"

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Nystral posted:

I mean Cowher had the benefit of being white and from around Pittsburgh

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

achillesforever6 posted:

I mean Cowher had the benefit of being white and from around Pittsburgh

And Tomlin’s never had a losing season. It’s insane the worst they’ve ever been was 8-8 twice in 2012 and 2013.

But you know he’s too hip hop and went to school in Virginia

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Nystral posted:

They just blamed the black QB in 98 and 99.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Jay Gruden might be fired before the night is over.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Move Jay Gruden to “Guatemalan Insanity Pepper”

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

On the bright side, if he'd put in the rookie to get killed like that, he'd have already been fired

So

At least they kinda learned from the RG3 experiment

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Change thread title to "only 9 more weeks of Jay Gruden"

I'll have my first update posted later this week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

You may want to wait a week. There are a bunch of games this week like Redskins-Giants that could determine whether someone is mild, or surface of the sun.