Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The 2019 NFL season is right around the corner, and it's time once again for TFF's most beloved tradition -- speculating about the job security of egotistical asshats who are busy running their favorite teams into the ground. Last year we saw eight jobs open up, which was a bit on the high end for departures (typically there around six or seven in a given year). How many will get fired this year? I'm excited to find out.

That's right, the hot seat thread is back, and I'm using the same ranking formula as before. With the season just starting, the first list will be more conservative than usual, but rest assured as the losses pile up and the Twitter rumors start spreading, I'll be updating every week (or every other week as time allows, full-time jobs are hard).

BACK FOR 2020

Bill Belichick, New England Patriots
Sean McDermott, Buffalo Bills
Brian Flores, Miami Dolphins
Adam Gase, New York Jets
John Harbaugh, Baltimore Ravens
Mike Tomlin, Pittsburgh Steelers
Zac Taylor, Cincinnati Bengals
Bill O'Brien, Houston Texans
Frank Reich, Indianapolis Colts
Mike Vrabel, Tennessee Titans
Doug Marrone, Jacksonville Jaguars
Andy Reid, Kansas City Chiefs
Jon Gruden, Oakland Raiders
Anthony Lynn, Los Angeles Chargers
Vic Fangio, Denver Broncos
Doug Pederson, Philadelphia Eagles
Matt LaFleur, Green Bay Packers
Mike Zimmer, Minnesota Vikings
Matt Patricia, Detroit Lions
Matt Nagy, Chicago Bears
Sean Payton, New Orleans Saints
Dan Quinn, Atlanta Falcons
Bruce Arians, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Kyle Shanahan, San Francisco 49ers
Pete Carroll, Seattle Seahawks
Sean McVay, Los Angeles Rams
Kliff Kingsbury, Arizona Cardinals

YOU'RE FIRED

Jay Gruden, Washington (interim coach: Bill Callahan)
Ron Rivera, Carolina Panthers (interim coach: Perry Fewell)
Freddie Kitchens, Cleveland Browns
Pat Shurmur, New York Giants
Jason Garrett, Dallas Cowboys

NEW COACHES

Washington: Ron Rivera (Panthers HC)
Dallas Cowboys: Mike McCarthy
Carolina Panthers: Matt Rhule (Baylor HC)
New York Giants: Joe Judge (Patriots WR coach/special teams coordinator)
Cleveland Browns: Kevin Stefanski (Vikings OC)

Benne fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
I thought the consensus this year is that Riveria is at least mild

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Marvin Lewis

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Cavauro posted:

Marvin Lewis

I'm very happy I never have to talk about him again

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Lol at the NFCE only having one safe coach

We even take up primetime in the hot seat thread!

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

flores and then gase are probably my top 2 picks for one and done coaches

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fire Marrone

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Benne posted:

I'm very happy I never have to talk about him again

Zach Taylor leads the team to a 1-10 record, is fired. Lewis is brought in as interim HC and goes 4-1.

Your 2020 Cincinnate Bengals head coach: Marvin Lewis

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
The Bills would have to do worse than last year for McDermott's job to be in any danger, so good rating, IMO.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail

hifi posted:

I would agree but Flores seems to be setting up the 3y rebuild excuse

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

The Bills would have to do worse than last year for McDermott's job to be in any danger, so good rating, IMO.

If there was a rating between Cool and Mild that’s where he would be

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ches Neckbeard posted:

I thought the consensus this year is that Riveria is at least mild

It's not unfair to say.

The Panthers signed a lot of guys to one year deals and have a lot of players coming to the end of their deals. They also drafted a rookie QB this year.

There's a lot to it though.

If Cam dies the team might decide to cut bait with his recent history and go all in on more of a rebuild phase. If Cams healthy the team will make the postseason and he'll be fine.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Benne posted:

FIRST-YEAR COACHES
Kliff Kingsbury, Arizona Cardinals

Shouldn’t this one be at least mild, after Arizona canned Steven Wilks after a year?

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
Brian Flores has like a zero percent chance to be fired without some sort of serious misconduct.

They hired him with the idea that this year was going to be a tank year, to the point where he got an extra year over the four year deal rookie coaches normally get. He's really got no expectations on him.

Also Stephen Ross is a moron and probably wouldn't fire anyone that quickly even if it were clearly necessary.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Bob Socko posted:

Shouldn’t this one be at least mild, after Arizona canned Steven Wilks after a year?

Not a chance. Even if it never works out, they invested way too much into the Kliff/Kyler experiment to admit defeat after one year.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Benne posted:

Not a chance. Even if it never works out, they invested way too much into the Kliff/Kyler experiment to admit defeat after one year.
Alright, I trust your judgment. Still hoping they tank for division purposes.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I was going to bring up Cam Cameron as being a Dolphins one and done but I guess that was the last owner? I can’t believe Ross has owned them for only 10 years.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

In my opinion any of these could be one-and-done coaches:

Adam Gase, New York Jets - 'Cuz he's a loving gently caress, that's why

Freddie Kitchens, Cleveland Browns - They didn't want him as HC, they just wanted to keep him as OC. He was never their guy, and if things don't work out, Dorsey will have no trouble jettisoning him at the end of the season.

Zac Taylor, Cincinnati Bengals - loving who?

Vic Fangio, Denver Broncos - Comedy Jon Elway Option

Matt LaFleur, Green Bay Packers - If the Packers don't rack up wins AND Rodgers doesn't get along with him, he's Ray Rhodes 2.0

Kliff Kingsbury, Arizona Cardinals - loving who? No. 2 & Comedy Arizona Cardinals Option

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I think Patricia is the first coach fired, you can be a smug rear end in a top hat if you are winning, but he’s just been weirdly toxic so far

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

DariusLikewise posted:

you can be a smug rear end in a top hat if you are winning, but he’s just been weirdly toxic so far

This is literally every Patriots coaching tree hire.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Romeo Crennel was a good dude! And he even got the Browns to 10 wins!

Shame about literally all of the rest of them

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Diva Cupcake posted:

This is literally every Patriots coaching tree hire.

I just don't get it. They all come out brain damaged.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I just don't get it. They all come out brain damaged.

It's almost like some foul warlock curses them when they leave.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dont be silly, he curses them when they arrive

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

hifi posted:

Flores is untouchable after the Tunsil/Stills trade. He would have to look exceptionally pathetic -- worse than 1-31 -- to get fired after setting up the world's most obvious Tank for Tua situation.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

LabyaMynora posted:

Zac Taylor, Cincinnati Bengals - loving who?
doesn't matter, he's getting more than one year regardless of how this season turns out.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

LabyaMynora posted:

Matt LaFleur, Green Bay Packers - If the Packers don't rack up wins AND Rodgers doesn't get along with him, he's Ray Rhodes 2.0

Rhodes got fired in large part because the Packers looked lazy and comfortable under him while going .500, and in medium part because he was black. So far in the preseason neither has seemed like an issue, but who knows, LaFleur could come up with a DNA test showing he's 1/64 Haitian after the Packers go 7-8-1.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Has there been a coaching tree as anemic as Belichick’s?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

LabyaMynora posted:

Freddie Kitchens, Cleveland Browns - They didn't want him as HC, they just wanted to keep him as OC. He was never their guy, and if things don't work out, Dorsey will have no trouble jettisoning him at the end of the season.

With Todd Monken getting head coach buzz last go around (I don't understand why) I could see Freddie getting tossed for Todd if things don't go well.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

DariusLikewise posted:

I think Patricia is the first coach fired, you can be a smug rear end in a top hat if you are winning, but he’s just been weirdly toxic so far

According to beat reporters he's been much more chill and organized this season, so he's got that going for him at least. If he gets off to a bad start though, I do think there's a good chance he doesn't last the season - Martha Ford is very old and wants to win very badly, and she doesn't have time to gently caress around if Patricia proves last season wasn't just growing pains.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
One thing complicating the Patricia situation is that if he gets the boot it may also involve the removal of GM Bob Quinn, who by all accounts has been a decent GM outside of an unpopular coaching hire. But I haven't paid a lick of attention to the Lions this offseason so I have no idea what to expect from them this year.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

C-Euro posted:

One thing complicating the Patricia situation is that if he gets the boot it may also involve the removal of GM Bob Quinn, who by all accounts has been a decent GM outside of an unpopular coaching hire. But I haven't paid a lick of attention to the Lions this offseason so I have no idea what to expect from them this year.

Probably the biggest development has been that Quinn really beefed the defensive line. Since the beginning of last year, Quinn has added Snacks Harrison, Trey Flowers, and Mike Daniels, and has retained A'Shawn Robinson and Da’Shawn Hand. As a result we've got a lot of depth and talent up front, and should be really drat good at stopping the run this year. We also got Justin Coleman to play CB2 across from Slay and ditched Teez Tabor. Coleman hasn't really had a great preseason, buuuut literally anything is an upgrade from Tabor (And I'm not kidding he allowed nearly a perfect passer rating last year), so that's a big benefit. Our second round linebacker has also had a really good camp and preseason (Though Davis is out with an injury for at least the first few games), so on the whole the defense should at least be marginally better than it was last year.

Offense is really the big question. I'm hoping Stafford has a bounce-back year, but our receiver depth is pretty thin after Golladay and Jones (Though we did pick up Danny Amandola), and the offensive line depth is even thinner. We didn't even try to get a replacement for TJ Jones, and our offensive line depth all around is extremely limited—and that was before Frank Ragnow got injured in the preseason.

On the other hand, Kerryon Johnson should have a great season and TJ Hockenson sounds like the real deal, so the best case scenario is that Stafford is able to spread the ball out effectively while the defense utterly suffocates any attempts to run the ball. The worst case scenario is that the offensive line collapses and Stafford gets sacked 15 times a game while the defense is utterly murdered over the top.

Knowing how last season went, I know which result is more likely :shepicide:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Nystral posted:

Has there been a coaching tree as anemic as Belichick’s?

Pete Carroll has Steve Sarkisian, Lane Kiffin, Ed Orgeron, Gus Bradley and Dan Quinn, off the top of my head. That's hardly an inspiring list.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

For the first time I think Zimmer might be on the hot seat. Special teams has become an embarrassment and the defense went soggy last year. I really don't know what they are going to do, although they've loaded up on assistant coaches again with bringing in Gary Kubiak.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Zimmer is in a weird spot where his defenses are consistently great (4# in DVOA last year) but his teams have been consistently hosed by having no o-line and the MN kickers curse.

In all honesty its probably going to come down to playoff appearance or bust for him though, even with the division, going 8-8 and missing and he will either be fired or not be extended (I think he is under contract for next year too)

That being said his career record after 5 years (off the top of my head) is 48–33–1, which all things considered is pretty god drat good.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I think Ron Rivera is at least a mild. If he starts the season off bad I expect his seat to light up.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Zimmer is a guy I had on the fence between Cool and Mild, and I won't argue if you think he belongs in the latter. Last year's setback was pretty bad, especially the part where he feuded with his OC and then fired him for not running the offense he wanted (what did you even hire him for?), but his track record before that was solid and they have the talent to bounce back.

I don't know if he's in playoffs-or-bust mode yet, but if they get off to like a 2-3 start then all bets are off.

Benne fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Sep 3, 2019

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

zimmer has heat on his seat, my only observation is that if they lose to the giants/washington/denver they have no shot at making the playoffs anyways and their other games are either winning teams or teams on the upswing like atlanta or GB. If zimmer's so loyal to his guys then why hire and fire defillipo last year if they're fine with stefanski now? would kubiak be the interim HC? lots of moving parts. circling back around I guess I can see them being 2-2, losing to the giants, firing zimmer, and making the playoffs.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
In a rational world BoB's seat would be hotter, but the thing is I can't be confident he'll be fired even if we miss the playoffs because of the turmoil in the front office. If we start slow you can say he's hotter than hell but who knows if that will matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't understand how nobody on Bill's tree apparently learns anything. (Unless you count Saban, and he's arguably been more dominant in college ball than Bill ever has in the NFL)

Randaconda fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Sep 3, 2019