Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I'd love to play avatar roulette!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

zocio posted:

Is this the line to sign up for AoT4A? (Avatar or Tag for all).

"If you like your avatar, you can keep your avatar"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Mantle posted:

What is this avtag thing? Something you can only see on desktop?

Gang tags are images that live in your avatar description. They're only visible on desktop (boo)

DJPON3Vinyl
Apr 22, 2015
Please give me a terrible avatar so I can go back to being GWP by never posting.

April
Jul 3, 2006

I've always liked this avatar, but I'm feeling brave, so hit me! If I get a terrible one, I can always be BWM/GWLS (Good With Lowtax's Spine) and buy it back.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Wow this thread sucks now

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Let it be known that Simpsons Reference was responsible for the worst chapter in the BWM thread's history

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I ain't stopping anyone from posting content. I was thinking about making a thread just for avatar changes

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Offering avatar changes is BWM (Bad With Moderating)

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

SpartanIvy posted:

Offering avatar changes is BWM (Bad With Moderating)

At below fair market value too. Shame.

Here's an inspiring quote from a MLM beachbody coach

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

canyoneer posted:

Well, crackheads are usually pretty skinny so it checks out.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

canyoneer posted:

:stare:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

*sees a guy at a gas station digging through the ashtray, asking if you want to buy one of his three phones that he forgot the password to*

cmon ladies let's get that bread!

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Rise and grind *tears out the copper wiring in my house*

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Moneyball posted:

I ain't stopping anyone from posting content.

https://www.reddit.com/r/askcarsales/comments/d2845b/i_bought_a_prius_prime_and_i_hate_it/
I Bought A Prius Prime and I Hate It

this idiot posted:

First of all, I’d like to say I feel really stupid and embarrassed for buying this car in this trim level. I hardly ever post to Reddit, but I’ve made some bad financial decisions and would really appreciate anybody’s advice.

On July 12 a couple months ago somebody ran a red light and totaled my 2004 Honda Civic. I was totally fine, but when I called my mom to come pick me up she had a heart attack and then a stroke from complications with the heart attack. Thankfully, her recovery has gone really well, but this has caused a lot of stress in my life, and I haven’t been sleeping well.

State Farm is sending me a settlement check for $4,556.56 to arrive sometime this week, and I’m also expecting my $500.00 deductible later when my insurance receives that from the other driver’s insurance who has claimed full responsibility for the accident.

I wanted to test drive a 2020 Prius to see if that should be the car I should purchase to replace my totaled Civic, so I went into the Toyota dealership on Saturday. When I arrived, the salesman said he misheard me on the phone and thought I wanted a Prius Prime. I said I would rather have a Prime, but it was out of my budget of $20k-$24k and a max of $350/month for a car. He convinced me that with CA and Fed tax incentives totaling $6,000, and the $1,500 labor day incentive, it would be worth it to buy the last 2019 Prius Prime Advanced model they had.

With a down payment of $8,000 and my credit score of 666 (I know), my monthly payments would be $633 to finance the car. I said that was way too high but he asked me to take out my budget to show him why I couldn’t afford it. My monthly salary is $7,000, and I have high monthly expenses living in Downtown Los Angeles and owning a dog.

Where he found wiggle room in my budget was the $1,333 I save for taxes every month. I’m expecting to pay $12,000 in state and federal taxes in April since I started my new job on July 8, and the dealer said with the rebates I would only have to pay $6,000. If my taxes were cut in half with the electric vehicle tax rebate, he said I would only need to save $666.50/month (yep there’s that number again).

I really liked driving the car, and he convinced me that with 133mpg the Prius Prime would be the best car for me in the long run, so I signed the finance contract for $35,000 and put down $3,000 nearly draining my savings with the promise of putting down another $5,000 when I received my insurance claim. I had only slept a total of 10 hours in the past 48 hours, so that probably also affected my decision making process.

I drove the car from where I bought it in Huntington Beach to San Diego to move stuff out of my mom’s house where I have been living for the past two years. When I got there, I went over a letter I received from UC Riverside about $6,519.06 that I owe for my last semester there. It says that amount was sent to the FTB (Franchise Tax Board), and they would collect any tax refunds. I contacted my uncle who’s a lawyer with a tax emphasis degree, and he said I wouldn’t receive the $1,500 state tax rebate for buying an electric vehicle because of this delinquent debt.

I was really scared about how that would affect my budget, so I went over it again the night I purchased the car. I realized the $4,500 federal tax rebate from the car purchase doesn’t work like a deductible and doesn’t mean I can stop saving $1,333/month for taxes. I still have to pay $12,000 in April and wait for my $4,500 tax rebate.

That means with my car payment, all my bills, and what I have to save for taxes, I only have $616.00/month left. I haven’t eaten for two days since working this out because I feel like I can’t afford to eat anymore after buying this car.

On top of that, there are no charging stations at my apartment until December, so I have to rely on the Greenlots charging station at work. I was on the phone with the Greenlots support team for a total of an hour trying to get my car to charge to no avail yesterday during work. During the troubleshooting, I tried to charge my car a total of 8 times which means I was charged eight $60.00 authorization fees totaling $480.00 in pending charges on my account.

I saw a BMW i3 and two Chevy Volts charge at that station with no problem. I asked the second guy with a Chevy Volt for help, and he walked me through how he gets the charging station to work on his car, but it didn’t work for my Prius Prime. I am able to charge my car with the cord Toyota provides, but I don’t have anywhere to plug it in at the apartment I just moved into nor at work.

I’m also disappointed with the gas mileage on the Prius Prime. I almost exclusively drive on the freeway for my 40 mile round trip commute to work and so far on EV and ECO mode I’m only getting 40mpg compared to the 133mpg advertised.

What’s the best way to approach the dealership to try to renegotiate the contract for the Prius Prime and let me lease or finance a Corolla LE instead? I’ve driven 375 miles on the Prius Prime in the last 65 hours during my move.

TL;DR: I bought a 2019 Prius Prime Advanced for the tax rebate and gas mileage, but I won’t get the full tax rebate, the rebate doesn’t work out with my budget like the dealer explained to me, my car doesn’t charge with the only charging station conveniently available to me, and I’m not getting the advertised gas mileage. How can I get a Corolla instead?

UPDATE: They let me trade in the Prius for a Corolla! My dealer and his manager were completely empathetic and understanding from the second I talked to them. I know I made a stupid decision, and I don’t deserve this. This outcome is extremely rare and the dealership loses a lot of money by taking the Prius back but nobody at Toyota of Huntington Beach even gave me poo poo for it. Nobody even mentioned the loss on the deal until everything was set up and I was doing signatures in financing.

quote:

Holy poo poo, don't let a loving salesman do your budget for you when they're trying to sell you something.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Also don't take tax advice from your car salesman.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

ahaha, what a dummy. I appreciated this comment too re: showing the salesman your budget.

quote:

In the future, this is where you tell him to go gently caress himself.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002
What convinces people to go and make their most expensive non-housing purchase on little sleep, hunger, and advice from salespeople I’ll never understand.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

I'd like a random AV. As tribute, here's some bog standard dumbassary from reddit:

$33k Credit Card Debt: Because I am an idiot. posted:

Hey everyone! Long time reddit lurker and financial idiot here. After having a major epiphany and realizing I have been a complete financial idiot for all of my adult life, I'm hoping a few of you from the reddit community would be kind enough to impart wisdom, knowledge and point my sorry rear end in the right direction regarding an issue I've been researching and haven't been able to find answers for.
Here's my situation: Income: $110K annual. Single. No kids. Car is paid for. Monthly expense are somewhat reasonable at about $2k, which includes all living expenses (rent, internet, gym, food, gas, parking, etc).
The problem: 1 have 1 single debt, but it's a big one: $33k on 1 Credit Card that has a $37k max. My APR is 13.90 %. I have had this debt for years and years, and have barely made a dent in it. Why? Because I have been an absolute idiot for years, burning huge amounts of cash on divorce/stupid things, and being completely ignorant on how credit works.
The solution: The vast majority of the responses I have seen regarding paying off credit has been to put in for a 0% interest credit card, or low interest loan. This makes sense as I see that my my monthly finance charges are close to $400 (this sucks, but I got myself into this mess). The rough math says I have about $3K+ net after my expenses, and I'm willing to put the vast majority of this back (at least $2k) back into my credit monthly.
The problem: Would I even qualify for a 0% interest credit card, or low interest loan for $33k? My FICO credit score is currently 716, on account of "Proportion of loan balances to loan amounts is too high". In other words, would a bank lend me/extend credit of $33K while I already have $33k in debt with my current FICO score? I just have a feeling a bank would be like hell no!
If getting a low interest option is not viable, is paying down the credit card itself directly the only viable option I have? I don't mind doing this at all - I'm just trying to educate myself and play things as smart as possible moving forward.
Thanks in advance everyone!

What’s the worst example of a kid buying way too much car?

quote:

Sold a Focus RS to an asian foreign exchange student that couldnt drive stick. He insisted he wanted it and the check cleared so have fun buddy!!
He crashed it into the front gate while leaving the lot and tried to get us to take it back.

quote:

Not a car salesman, but back in 2011 or 12 or so I sat on a plane next to a 24yo kid who was telling me about his car.
This is back when gas was well over $4.50 a gallon here in the Bay Area.
He was complaining about how much his 2010 Escalade was costing him in gas. He was commuting 35 miles each way to work at the post office in Palo Alto from where he lived in San Francisco. And that's almost all stop-and-go traffic at commute hours (Google says typically 1-1.5h to go 35 miles at that time).
The Escalade was rated 14mpg, on city streets, but with stop and go traffic, that thing was probably getting maybe 12. So he's spending $600 a month on gas. I mean, even if gas dropped to $3 he's still spending $450. Of course, the Escalade started at 65K. So here's this kid paying at least $1000 a month for a car payment, another $500-600 for gas and GOD KNOWS what it costs for a 24 year old to insure himself... and he works for the POST OFFICE. I figured he's spending at least $22K on that car each year.
And he says to me "Yeah, the gas is killing me. But how was I supposed to know? I mean, there was no downside when I bought it."

quote:

Family member's wife.
She said she knew how to drive stick, so I asked her what she learned on.
Audi R8.
She hates driving manual because apparently the R8 was a pain to drive to school every day.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

howdoesishotweb posted:

What convinces people to go and make their most expensive non-housing purchase on little sleep, hunger, and advice from salespeople I’ll never understand.

Back in the day a friend of mine went to a Ween concert, dropped LSD from some random guy at the show, partied all night long and into the next day, went to a matinee of Blair Witch Project and then walked over to a dealership and bought a car.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Moneyball posted:

That was meant for KGJ, but you're getting one now. I guess anyone who wants to play can have one. Lowtax is now getting 11k/month on Patreon so I guess I can give out more freebies

I'll take a random av in exchange for the horse daddy gang tag I was promised when I made the bitcoin bird picture for you last year :colbert:

BWM content: giving people with deep pockets a reason to go after you, courtesy of r/prorevenge.

quote:

This story is from a few years ago when I worked in the legal department of a 1,000+ store national retailer. As part of my job, I handled customer complaints that elevated when the customer threatened legal action.

Our customer service call center forwarded Karen's call to me after she threatened legal action. Karen left a message claiming that she was not provided $10 in customer reward coupons (spend $200, receive a $10 coupon in the mail sort of thing...this was before apps) based on her purchase of clothing for her son and daughter for back to school. I looked into it and called Karen back. It turned out, we had an old address associated with her rewards account. No big deal, right? I spoke with Karen and offered to send her the original $10 coupon and an additional $25 for her trouble to the correct address. That did not satisfy Karen. She claimed we should have known her address and threatened to sue us if we didn't pay her $1,000 in cash. Her rationale was that it would cost us at least $1,000 to defend the suit (she was in a state in which our company did not have any offices), so we should just pay it to her.

I declined, but still forwarded her the $10 coupon she was entitled to pursuant to our rewards program. Sure enough, she sued us for breach of contract, fraud, and any other conceivable charge. I went to my boss, the COO, and told him the story. He asked what I wanted to do? I said I'd rather pay legal fees to a defense attorney than pay Karen and he agreed. [ed note: :unsmigghh:, and pretend everything after this is bolded]

I contacted outside counsel, our Awesome Attorney, explained the situation to him and I $hit you not he said (in a Southern drawl): "I get to sue Karen? I should be paying you guys. There are a lot of lawyers in this legal community who would love to sue her as she is reckless, unpleasant and a total pain in the rear end to deal with. I'll gladly take your case." He agreed to defend us at a reduced rate.

Part of our defense strategy was to counter-sue her under the state's frivolous lawsuit statute, which would move the suit from small claims court to the larger civil court. Awesome Attorney filed our answer and counter-claim. Although Karen was an attorney, she was not a defense attorney, so she had to engage her own attorney to defend against the counter-claim. After a couple of hearings, she offered to settle for no more money exchanged (she didn't even get the extra $25 coupon I offered her), and the dismissal of both suits.

I talked with Awesome Attorney about continuing our claim, but he advised it would probably be worth settling and being done with it rather than being vindictive. Although vindictive would have been fun, courts tend not to like that so I agreed. My company ended up paying Awesome Attorney $900 in attorneys' fees. Awesome Attorney later called and told us that the attorney Karen engaged charged her $1,700 to defend the suit. Although I would have liked to continue with our suit, I think her having to pay $1,700 over a $10 coupon sent to the wrong address is sufficient justice.

e. spalling

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Sep 17, 2019

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Guest2553 posted:

I'll take a random av in exchange for the horse daddy gang tag I was promised when I made the bitcoin bird picture for you last year :colbert:

BWM content: giving people with deep pockets a reason to go after you, courtesy of r/prorevenge.

Oh my god yes, straight into my veins please. :gizz::yeshaha:

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

canyoneer posted:

You know, I would have accepted "Going to" "Gonna" "Goin'" OR "Gon'" but "Gone" is definitely where I draw the line.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

Back in the day a friend of mine went to a Ween concert, dropped LSD from some random guy at the show, partied all night long and into the next day, went to a matinee of Blair Witch Project and then walked over to a dealership and bought a car.

The Boognish approves.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Enos Cabell posted:

if only every BWM reddit post had an origin story like this

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

Sure it's "only" $99. But it adds up when you have 7 cats

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Today's Penny Arcade feels relevant to the thread:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Hoodwinker posted:

Today's Penny Arcade feels relevant to the thread:

I haven't read PA in years, WTF happened to their hair?! The brown haired guy I sort of get, but the black hair? He's wearing a font size 28 semi-colon.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Enos Cabell posted:

Mister would you please help my ponycar
I think it's his loan

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

TraderStav posted:

I haven't read PA in years, WTF happened to their hair?! The brown haired guy I sort of get, but the black hair? He's wearing a font size 28 semi-colon.

I haven't seen PA in a while, as well, and thought the same thing. How is it possible that the artist actually got worse over time?

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

howdoesishotweb posted:

Sure it's "only" $99. But it adds up when you have 7 cats

This DNA testing stuff is bananas. For the longest time I thought it was like some $10 thing people did...so still stupid overall but what's the harm. But that poo poo starts at $99... like wtf

My favorite are the idiot boomers that get them as christmas gifts. I haven't received a real gift in years (which is fine I'm an adult) but then they decide to drop almost a grand on stupid dna tests.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Raldikuk posted:

This DNA testing stuff is bananas. For the longest time I thought it was like some $10 thing people did...so still stupid overall but what's the harm. But that poo poo starts at $99... like wtf

My favorite are the idiot boomers that get them as christmas gifts. I haven't received a real gift in years (which is fine I'm an adult) but then they decide to drop almost a grand on stupid dna tests.

And then get one of their cousins locked up for a crime, and/or their insurance company buys their data.

Balkans rules mean half of my family won’t touch them though. How can a DNA company know who is the right kind of Balkan anyways!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Raldikuk posted:

It's so stupid because a DNA test you take is/should be pretty loving similar to a sibling or cousin. You only need to take one. I've taken two tests, but only because we have serious gaps in my paternal line (daddies don't hand around for births) and there are special tests for tracking down your deadbeat fathers versus your deadbeat mothers.

I'm pretty sure we only need to get a fifth of the population into the DNA database before everyone is essentially in it. Committing crimes over the next decade is going to be fun. It'll be like that guy up in Wisconsin who shaved all his hair off before going on a murdering/kidnapping spree so no one would find his DNA.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Krispy Wafer posted:

It's so stupid because a DNA test you take is/should be pretty loving similar to a sibling or cousin. You only need to take one. I've taken two tests, but only because we have serious gaps in my paternal line (daddies don't hand around for births) and there are special tests for tracking down your deadbeat fathers versus your deadbeat mothers.

I'm pretty sure we only need to get a fifth of the population into the DNA database before everyone is essentially in it. Committing crimes over the next decade is going to be fun. It'll be like that guy up in Wisconsin who shaved all his hair off before going on a murdering/kidnapping spree so no one would find his DNA.

The fun part is going to be when you find out your insurance is getting jacked up because you have three fourth cousins who are all carriers for something.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Or when it is a total surprise that your cousins aren't actually related to you.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

withak posted:

Or when it is a total surprise that your cousins aren't actually related to you.

This totally saved my marriage

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

My in-laws found a half-sibling through 23 and me. They knew he existed but the mom didn't want anything to do with him so I think that was their only way to find him.

e: omg thanks moneyball

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Moneyball posted:

This totally saved my marriage

:bravo:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
My mom got really into ancestry.com and 23 and me and now she gets lots of emails from distant relatives asking for money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Krispy Wafer posted:

It'll be like that guy up in Wisconsin who shaved all his hair off before going on a murdering/kidnapping spree so no one would find his DNA.

have you guys not seen Gattaca?

edit: awesome new av thank you benevolent moderator Moneyball I'll never forget you!

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Sep 18, 2019