Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

GeneticWeapon posted:

Is owning a Titan fun? Please tell me that it is. I literally knew gently caress all about Titans when we were fight BoB, and when Shrike DD'd us the first time, I figured that would be the funnest thing ever to be able to do. One minute I was in my rail Mega, and the next I was in my pod. It was such a new and hilarious experience.

It is fun. It's definitely not for everyone, but as someone that wanted exactly what they are, I'm not dissatisfied. It definitely gets used to punt my freighter more than it sees any kind of combat so far though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GeneticWeapon
May 13, 2007

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

It is not and if Hilmar has his way we would be back to not being able to dock them

Add pubbies crying for wormhole style asset safety and it just becomes a 50b liability if you go afk

That's unfortunate to hear, but good to know I guess. I can put away my dreams of owning one. What a shame.

GeneticWeapon
May 13, 2007

Micromancer posted:

It is fun. It's definitely not for everyone, but as someone that wanted exactly what they are, I'm not dissatisfied. It definitely gets used to punt my freighter more than it sees any kind of combat so far though.

Everyone's take is a little different it seems. Though if I couldn't use it to nuke some dumb pubbies, I'm not sure I would ever train into one.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

GeneticWeapon posted:

Everyone's take is a little different it seems. Though if I couldn't use it to nuke some dumb pubbies, I'm not sure I would ever train into one.

You can only nuke a single pubbie nowadays, DDs were nurfed like a decade ago to be single target. They can take out a dread though

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I have 5, regularly fly 3...

Tools of the blueshooting trade :v:

GeneticWeapon
May 13, 2007

Mr. Pickles posted:

You can only nuke a single pubbie nowadays, DDs were nurfed like a decade ago to be single target. They can take out a dread though

You're loving making GBS threads me? Are titans mostly logistic boats then? When Shrike DD'd us, there was between 9-15 of us in pods afterwards, I don't understand why they would take something like that away ffs

GeneticWeapon
May 13, 2007

Wibla posted:

I have 5, regularly fly 3...

Tools of the blueshooting trade :v:

Titans?? ... no..

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Pickles posted:

What about the Bosonic Field Generator? Thats basically spaceship Cone of Cold:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gzvz2DAe9As

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

GeneticWeapon posted:

You're loving making GBS threads me? Are titans mostly logistic boats then? When Shrike DD'd us, there was between 9-15 of us in pods afterwards, I don't understand why they would take something like that away ffs

They replaced it with a Death Star laser, initially. It was actually pretty boss, because you could delete supercapitals with it, and enough titans could alpha doomsday other titans.

Right about now is when you want to google something called the "Battle of B-R5".

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Micromancer posted:

I'm curious.. Why do you use it to punt your freighter?

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

Dalael posted:

Because taking large things through the Ansiblex network gets you on GSOL's poo poo list. Jump fees are rumored to increase for those on the list by 20x. Ultimately, because I can move a freighter to another system in a ship that doesnt have a jump drive with 3x the cargo load for 1 10/th the price of a JF. Also, what else would you do with it in peacetime if you weren't cool enough to be in the blueshoot ping group?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Dalael posted:

Being able to safely teleport 1.2 million m^3 of space junk between two arbitrary points inside of 6LY is really, really good for industry.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Micromancer posted:

Because taking large things through the Ansiblex network gets you on GSOL's poo poo list. Jump fees are rumored to increase for those on the list by 20x. Ultimately, because I can move a freighter to another system in a ship that doesnt have a jump drive with 3x the cargo load for 1 10/th the price of a JF. Also, what else would you do with it in peacetime if you weren't cool enough to be in the blueshoot ping group?

:facepalm:

when I read punt, i thought you meant bump and that made no sense to me. This does.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

It is not and if Hilmar has his way we would be back to not being able to dock them

Add pubbies crying for wormhole style asset safety and it just becomes a 50b liability if you go afk

In an ideal world, you would 'moor' them to Keepstars (keeping them static and visible in space, like an aircraft carrier at a pier), and they'd be tied to the vulnerability of the structure. Also have a finite amount of 'moors' per Keepstar, adding more with modules or upgrades. That seems to me to be a valid compromise between docking and still leaving some skin in the game.

Also, jump fatigue is stupid, too. Get rid of it and add *hull fatigue* per jump, making it required to have a logistics chain in place of your/allied structures at which to dock/moor and repair. Jump with more than 60% in hull damage, and there's an ever-increasing chance of your ship breaking apart in transit. Do not pass Go, do not collect insurance. And underway repairs should only be one aspect - like any capital ship, after a certain amount of time they should need to go into 'drydock' for an overhaul. If moneybagged players want to just mulch their hull and buy a new one to avoid the downtime, so be it.

Ships are ships - why not treat them as such?

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 18, 2019

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Put in overall m3 size limits to structures so that you couldn't keep 1000000000000000 m3 of trit in a station somewhere until the end of time. Encourage items to be built and flow and consumed rather than just sitting on them for all eternity. Allow actual or pretend NPC's to ship items between stations in system for a percentage fee to fulfill market buy and sell orders so that you could have single market in a system. So if you want a huge market center you would want to build a wall of structures, like Goonfleet already has in 1DQ, that would need more investment than just plopping a keepstar in Perimeter.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Kesper North posted:

Right about now is when you want to google something called the "Battle of B-R5".

Everything that made those big fights possible and/or necessary got removed from the game, right?

GeneticWeapon
May 13, 2007

Kesper North posted:

I YouTube'd it, holy poo poo that lag must have been ferocious. Does time dilation actually work?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

GeneticWeapon posted:

I YouTube'd it, holy poo poo that lag must have been ferocious. Does time dilation actually work?

it worked in the sense the node did not crash. it did not work in the sense that the game functioned in any sort of functional deterministic state where you could try to do something and expect that it was going to happen as normal, just slowly.

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

GeneticWeapon posted:

The answer to the question you typed is, "yes."

The answer to the question you asked is, "not well, but it beats not being able to have the conflict I guess."

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

basically the issue with time dialation is it's hard capped at 10%, and in a battle like BR-5 it would have needed to go much, much lower to function correctly (but then the game would be unplayable because a day would be ten minutes of real time) so the time dialation makes it so the server can allow the battle to happen, but wonky poo poo still happens left and right

GeneticWeapon
May 13, 2007

So the old issue we had of activating modules, but nothing happens for a while still exists?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

GeneticWeapon posted:

So the old issue we had of activating modules, but nothing happens for a while still exists?

That’s a feature not a bug

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

GeneticWeapon posted:

Not quite.

Before it didn't happen because the server never got the information, or it did but lost it, or it did and it did the thing but it never told your client about it.

And they all looked the same.

And then the node dies.

With TiDi, it has to be VERY high stress before commands get straight up dropped. There's also a window you can open to see the status of your commands so you're not sitting there going "what's going on?" you at least know where that command is.

And node death is pretty rare these days (unless CCP brings the node down to reinforce it in the middle of a fight giving the victory to a specific group)

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Put in overall m3 size limits to structures so that you couldn't keep 1000000000000000 m3 of trit in a station somewhere until the end of time. Encourage items to be built and flow and consumed rather than just sitting on them for all eternity. Allow actual or pretend NPC's to ship items between stations in system for a percentage fee to fulfill market buy and sell orders so that you could have single market in a system. So if you want a huge market center you would want to build a wall of structures, like Goonfleet already has in 1DQ, that would need more investment than just plopping a keepstar in Perimeter.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk

More like spies just assemble a bunch of station containers in enemy stations so nobody can use them.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

gwrtheyrn posted:

More like spies just assemble a bunch of station containers in enemy stations so nobody can use them.

Quotas by ACL

All of this requires dev time, though.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

It's easier to land a man on the moon than get dev time allocated to something useful at :ccp: these days.

GeneticWeapon
May 13, 2007

CainFortea posted:

And node death is pretty rare these days (unless CCP brings the node down to reinforce it in the middle of a fight giving the victory to a specific group)

Your referring to the fight with TAPI I guess? I saw that on a YouTube video recently. I would have been pretty mad about it I have to admit.

Why did Arkhamina quit playing? And is Mister Vee still around?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Nerd question: does anyone have experience multiboxing heavily on a ryzen 8-core cpu? Considering an upgrade from my skylake 6600K (4-core, 4-thread) because it really bogs down with 7+ clients, even with 32GB RAM and NVMe SSD.

I guess I should just try it on my Z820 that has 2x8-core Xeon cpus, but I feel that upgrade itch :haw: (and the Z820 is noisy as gently caress)

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Wibla posted:

Nerd question: does anyone have experience multiboxing heavily on a ryzen 8-core cpu? Considering an upgrade from my skylake 6600K (4-core, 4-thread) because it really bogs down with 7+ clients, even with 32GB RAM and NVMe SSD.

I guess I should just try it on my Z820 that has 2x8-core Xeon cpus, but I feel that upgrade itch :haw: (and the Z820 is noisy as gently caress)

I mean you're gonna get a better experience because you're going from 4c4t to 8c16t, hands down. Will it be worth an upgrade? That's up to you. Pop over to SHSC and ask in the PC upgrade thread for advice, and make sure you state that your use case for gaming is heavy multiboxing.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

“Some people mine bitcoin, others etherising. Me? I mine spodumain”

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Rutibex posted:

What about the Bosonic Field Generator? Thats basically spaceship Cone of Cold:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gzvz2DAe9As

That's pretty fkin sweet lol. Must be "new", I haven't touched eve in years

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...
That's just like, your opinion man.
How long does it typically take for alts to be accepted into corp? My alts have OK status in auth and I applied in game to corp.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Mindisgone posted:

How long does it typically take for alts to be accepted into corp? My alts have OK status in auth and I applied in game to corp.

Can be a few hours or a few days, depends how busy recruiters are irl

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

Mindisgone posted:

Which corp?

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...
That's just like, your opinion man.

Micromancer posted:

Which corp?

Goonwaffe, I do not believe I missed any steps. Wiki says apply in game if alt shows up in auth as ok.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Make sure to check in game. You have to manually accept any corporation invites that have been extended to you.

GeneticWeapon
May 13, 2007

Is Reddit the bitter vet complaint station or what? Maybe they really do believe Eve is the worst game ever, but holy poo poo the constant crying I read on there is ridiculous.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

kugu

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Mindisgone posted:

Goonwaffe, I do not believe I missed any steps. Wiki says apply in game if alt shows up in auth as ok.

Yep, just apply in game. Looks like you have an invite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

GeneticWeapon posted:

Is Reddit the bitter vet complaint station or what? Maybe they really do believe Eve is the worst game ever, but holy poo poo the constant crying I read on there is ridiculous.

Reddit is the I haven't played in years and do not like the current state of the game here is what I think you should do.

And then those bad ideas are implemented and they still don't play.