Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

why do you think they introduced that character in the first place

certainly cant have him kissing ray or poe

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

As if Rose has not already been excised out of the plot like Jar-Jar was after TPM. She'll get one or two lines where she says she's been promoted to a place offscreen "That totally isn't plot irrelevant honest" and we'll never hear of her again. That way Disney can get rid of her and still pretend they're not admitting she sucks.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Rose gets ire because she is - by far - the most interesting ST character. But she also doesn’t belong in that movie.

Basically they should have gone back and made Force Awakens about her and her sister.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Wow Rose as the new Jar Jar Binks makes a lot of sense

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

CharlestonJew posted:

Wow Rose as the new Jar Jar Binks makes a lot of sense

The video of her at a restaurant days after TLJ dropped secretly listening to the people at the table next to her talk about the film and then visibly, knowingly clenching when they start talking about her character was interesting. Then they basically say, "Yeah, I liked her. She was alright!" and her being so loving relieved she has to walk over and thank them was wholesome, but kinda brutal. Most of the people I discussed the movie with had a combination of "Who?!" and "Oh....she's the worst!'. These were regular people too, not typical internet Youtuber types with an axe to grind.

While you're excited to be cast in the new Star Wars and cash those Disney checks, "everyone" is probably afraid of being the new Jar Jar. The problem is mostly the writing, like everything else in ST, but people just didn't take to how....unnecessary her character seemed to be. And when a character is unnecessary, people will dogpile on everything about them that may not have been an issue, or maybe even been charming, in a better written movie.

Dishwasher fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Sep 18, 2019

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Rose isn't the new Jar Jar.

Also, lol if you still think Jar Jar is a bombad character because yousa is full of poodoo.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

I enjoyed this meme but I also have trouble believing someone who was a literal toddler when Phantom Menace came out didn't enjoy it then, too.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

it's true, i was 3 years old and i liked it

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
As a 30 year old I mostly liked Phantom Menace. Figure part of it was the sheer relief of getting more Star Wars on the big screen. I think the biggest problem with Jar-Jar was that he was the only designate comic character in the movie. Everyone else was straight-laced to the point of being humorless so he stuck out more.

That all said, this still makes me smile.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

El Burbo posted:

i saw it for the first time when i was eleven and enjoyed it (except for the second act)

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

galagazombie posted:

As if Rose has not already been excised out of the plot like Jar-Jar was after TPM. She'll get one or two lines where she says she's been promoted to a place offscreen "That totally isn't plot irrelevant honest" and we'll never hear of her again. That way Disney can get rid of her and still pretend they're not admitting she sucks.

Stairmaster posted:

why do you think they introduced that character in the first place

certainly cant have him kissing ray or poe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McQZpxjthh4

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

El Burbo posted:

When taken out of context the pod race scene is really cool to look at. I was like 15 or 16 when Phantom came out.

Also I seriously hope they don't go the route of the only black people in this Star Gwar are in any way related.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Sep 18, 2019

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Jiro posted:

When taken out of context the pod race scene is really cool to look at. I was like 15 or 16 when Phantom came out.

Also I seriously hope they don't go the route of the only black people in this Star Gwar are in any way related.

We all know that Finn is really Mace Windu's grandson

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
The thing that kind of blows my mind about the new trilogy is that they had Lupita Nyong'o right there. Why didn't they just have Maz Kanata look like Lupita Nyong'o instead of some kind of freeze-dried Muppet corpse?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Necrotizer F posted:

The thing that kind of blows my mind about the new trilogy is that they had Lupita Nyong'o right there. Why didn't they just have Maz Kanata look like Lupita Nyong'o instead of some kind of freeze-dried Muppet corpse?

someone's gotta be the yoda-but-shittier character

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Necrotizer F posted:

She says she wanted to try voice work as something different after Twelve Years a Slave.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Bogus Adventure posted:

We all know that Finn is really Mace Windu's grandson

I mean sure Mace definitely hosed, but Lando is obviously is his one and only progeny.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

You misunderstand me. I'm saying because Rose will be excised they'll have to find a replacement kisser for Finn. If she had been well received she would have remained Finn's romantic interest. I bet there will be a throwaway line about it not working out or seeing other people.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

AndyElusive posted:

Rose isn't the new Jar Jar.

Rose is the new Luke Skywalker (Episode 4 version).

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Rose is the drill sergeant from Starship Troopers. She won’t show up til the end of the movie where it’s revealed she actually won the war while Rey and co. go and harass a senile old man.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

not enough attention is paid to the fact that gungans are extremely obvious blackface

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Jiro posted:

I mean sure Mace definitely hosed, but Lando is obviously is his one and only progeny.

Mace is too angry and too much a stickler for the letter of the law (rather than its spirit) to gently caress. He's clearly frustrated and doesn't understand why The Jedi Code isn't helping. Which is why Sheev found it so easy to manipulate him.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Fitzy Fitz posted:

not enough attention is paid to the fact that gungans are extremely obvious blackface

woof a lot to unpack here

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Necrotizer F posted:

Because jj's brain only goes as deep as "we need a Yoda in this film," so they tried to make a new Yoda. If the ST had an actual vision behind them, someone might have realized that Lupita herself would be tremendously more effective than a badly-designed cgi monster.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

In what sense

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

the race's representative character is a slapstick simpleton from the bayou, and the distinct -sa suffix is extremely on the nose

i mean people have been saying this about him, watto, and the neimoidians for 20 years

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Oh boy this topic.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

we don't have to talk about it. i'm probably less interested in it than the people responding to me

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Fitzy Fitz posted:

the race's representative character is a slapstick simpleton from the bayou,

Don't go talking poo poo about Yoda.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

sassassin posted:

Mace is too angry and too much a stickler for the letter of the law (rather than its spirit) to gently caress. He's clearly frustrated and doesn't understand why The Jedi Code isn't helping. Which is why Sheev found it so easy to manipulate him.

I'm not necessarily talking about Jedi Master Mace Windu, but young hot headed swinging dick Jedi Padiwan Mace Windu? That's a definite possibility.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 213 days!
He's definitely surpressing something fierce. "To the pure all things are pure, but to those who are defiled and unbelieving nothing is pure."

He see Anakin not having Vocel pride and think of all that tail he turns down everyday. No wonder he don't trust the kid.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Vaapad requires Big Dick Energy to use.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Ammanas posted:

someone's gotta be the yoda-but-shittier character

"Not bad, but I think... yes, make her eyes look more like giant dried up sphincters when she removes the goggles."

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Has Disney said anything about ever releasing the theatrical versions of the OT? My hard drive with the despecialized versions poo poo the bed and I've been wanting to watch the OT recently.

I should probably just assume that we'll never get those versions again; or Disney will pull some bullshit and make them only available on Disney+.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

sigher posted:

Has Disney said anything about ever releasing the theatrical versions of the OT? My hard drive with the despecialized versions poo poo the bed and I've been wanting to watch the OT recently.

I should probably just assume that we'll never get those versions again; or Disney will pull some bullshit and make them only available on Disney+.

They haven't said anything.

I don't know, now that Disney owns Fox all the old excuses are gone. I suspect the best chance for this, if they really want to print money, is a 9-film box set with alternate cuts and/or extended editions of everything. Next year sometime?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Current cinemas probably can’t even project film anymore so I wouldn’t hold my breath. Maybe a small number.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

sigher posted:

4K77 and 4K83 exist and are great, google them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

You really should hear or read what Ahmed Best thinks or feels regarding this opinion since he in no way shape or form agrees with you.