Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

Same. Or at least if you're going to take me there, show a button when I get there that will return me to where I was.

Back button works, but only if it's not on the same page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Weaponized Autism posted:

I have an odd issue with Twitter embedded video playback. The video will play, however it skips every once in a while during playback. The video will play, and then every 5 seconds or so it'll jitter and skip ahead by a quarter or half a second. Twitter video playback is fine if I load it in my phone's browser, so the issue seems specific to the Awful app. I've been noticing this for a while, but figure I'd mention it now. Awful 3.6.8 / Pixel 3a.

Yeah same, and it drives me nuts. Nokia 8.1, so stock Android.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I haven't looked into it but I'd guess its probably Twitter. The whole embed thing is a nightmare they wish they could turn off, or at least control a lot more than they do now.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
App keeps dying abruptly for no discernable reason.

No message or anything, just ends.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Weaponized Autism posted:

I have an odd issue with Twitter embedded video playback. The video will play, however it skips every once in a while during playback. The video will play, and then every 5 seconds or so it'll jitter and skip ahead by a quarter or half a second. Twitter video playback is fine if I load it in my phone's browser, so the issue seems specific to the Awful app. I've been noticing this for a while, but figure I'd mention it now. Awful 3.6.8 / Pixel 3a.

Same, and the quality starts around 240, then after the jump gets up to 1080 or so. Very noticable with the audio, especially.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

It's Twitter's fault, betting

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Yo I'm late to the latest version, but I just want to say the three dots menu works on posts again on my Amazon Fire and I'm very thankful!

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
So has anyone noticed that the order of the submit/preview buttons is reversed from that on the website? Because I just accidentally submitted something that I absolutely needed to preview first because I was using an emote I don't use often and I wasn't sure if the code I was using was for the one I wanted, or the one where two smiley faces are loving and whoo boy wouldn't that have been embarrassing?

Obv it's too late to change it now. Also it occurs to me this may have been chosen on purpose to trip people up, like the HOT and BANME tags.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Sep 9, 2019

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

It's just the standard Android UI! You set a positive and negative button for the submit dialog (and a 'neutral' one which is the preview option) and that's how the system lays them out

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

baka kaba posted:

It's just the standard Android UI! You set a positive and negative button for the submit dialog (and a 'neutral' one which is the preview option) and that's how the system lays them out

gently caress goddammit I meant the submit/preview buttons, except I think your answer would be the same anyway. Couldn't code my way out of the proverbial paper bag.

E: previewing didn't help me THERE so I dunno wtf I'm complaining about.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 9, 2019

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Nah I got what you meant, but yeah it's all laid out in that standard way

(They've decided you shouldn't have a third "neutral" option now, because they change their drat minds all the time, but it's still in the API so we're using it)

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

ArcMage posted:

App keeps dying abruptly for no discernable reason.

No message or anything, just ends.

Came here to post this. It's been happening for a few days now. But sometimes I do get a message asking if I want to restart.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Oben posted:

No, I have that on my new phone and it has to be fixed in the code. I think it just needs android:navigationBarColor setting on the base themes in themes.xml?

I would love to see this addressed as well, when possible.

I love the app regardless, this is my first phone with a virtual navigation bar.

EDIT: the more I read up on it, the more I realize I'm just An Old for having the nav bar enabled in the first place. I'm a creature of habit.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 10, 2019

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed

The Ferret King posted:

I would love to see this addressed as well, when possible.

I love the app regardless, this is my first phone with a virtual navigation bar.

EDIT: the more I read up on it, the more I realize I'm just An Old for having the nav bar enabled in the first place. I'm a creature of habit.
I made a pull request the other day. https://github.com/Awful/Awful.apk/pull/696

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Picnic Princess posted:

Came here to post this. It's been happening for a few days now. But sometimes I do get a message asking if I want to restart.

If you don't get a restart message it was probably culled for memory management. Workflow for that is switch to Awful, see blue start screen and Awful. message.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Scaramouche posted:

If you don't get a restart message it was probably culled for memory management. Workflow for that is switch to Awful, see blue start screen and Awful. message.
Seems a bit harsh to toss apps out of memory while you're actively using them.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

The only crashes I can see are weird native code-lookin' memory errors, and the ones that are hitting a lot mention Chrome, so maybe there was a recent Chrome update that did a bad?

Oben posted:

I made a pull request the other day. https://github.com/Awful/Awful.apk/pull/696

oh cool, thanks! I'll take a look and we can stick it in the next beta, see how it works for other phones

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Flipperwaldt posted:

Seems a bit harsh to toss apps out of memory while you're actively using them.

You're telling me. I was stuck with a *really* lovely Lifeline phone for a while. 512MB... yeah. I tried like a dozen browsers and every one of them would get randomly shitcanned literally right in the middle of using it. Awful ran like dogshit on that phone but it never just went poof.

E: lol maybe you guys should code a browser

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Ah meant to post this but forgot:

The app will also close without warning and error message if things it depends on are updated, for example Chrome/Android webview or the play store support library.

Can you guess what reminded me? :downs:

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I'm used to that happening and check the notification bar when it does, but lately it has just been closing like the others have mentioned.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

some threads are showing up in bookmarks with blue backgrounds, and I can't discern a pattern- does this signify anything or is it just a glitch?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Peanut Butler posted:

some threads are showing up in bookmarks with blue backgrounds, and I can't discern a pattern- does this signify anything or is it just a glitch?

it's a bug when you've been in a custom-themed forum like byob and then you go to a normal one, it goes away if you close the app. Easily fixed so next update if I don't forget!

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
Anyone else have the issue where sometimes the app will refuse to go to the next thread page when using the "pull to go to next page" feature? Manually tapping the navigation arrows always works, but pull method seemingly more often than not ends up just reloading the same page over and over.

Not sure if placebo or not but it seems this happens more frequently with threads that have 1000+ pages (e.g. the old Star Citizen thread, or the r/relationships one). Or maybe it happens if the page total changes since the last page load? No idea, really :shrug:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I'm not having any of the issues posted in this thread since the Post Preview was fixed.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

SirViver posted:

Not sure if placebo or not but it seems this happens more frequently with threads that have 1000+ pages (e.g. the old Star Citizen thread, or the r/relationships one). Or maybe it happens if the page total changes since the last page load? No idea, really :shrug:

Yeah if you load the last page of a thread the pull gets set up to reload (since there's no next page), but the page bar with the arrows and page count can get updates and see that there's a new page. You're more likely to see it in a fast moving thread

It's kind of a relic of how the page works but there might be an easy fix for it

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

baka kaba posted:

Yeah if you load the last page of a thread the pull gets set up to reload (since there's no next page), but the page bar with the arrows and page count can get updates and see that there's a new page. You're more likely to see it in a fast moving thread

It's kind of a relic of how the page works but there might be an easy fix for it
Just so there's no misunderstanding, the bug happens when I'm far away from the last page. Like I'm at page 1500 out of 5000+, but sometimes without rhyme or reason it switches to page-reload mode.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Oh hmm. You know it's pull to reload when you do it at the top, right?

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
I think I've seen that happen before when an ignored user was either the first or last post on the page. I don't remember which.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

baka kaba posted:

Oh hmm. You know it's pull to reload when you do it at the top, right?
Yes. I'm at the bottom of the page and pulling upwards when this happens.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

That's weird, shouldn't be any difference in the logic between that and the page bar deciding whether to show a next page arrow

pairofdimes posted:

I think I've seen that happen before when an ignored user was either the first or last post on the page. I don't remember which.

ah dammit

ignored users are a real pain the way it's written right now

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

It seems like pressing 'show only posts by user' more than once per session messes up the query? I'm getting posts by multiple different users in there, not even necessarily ones I searched for, and clicking next to the second page displays an error that there is no second page for the query.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Killingyouguy! posted:

It seems like pressing 'show only posts by user' more than once per session messes up the query? I'm getting posts by multiple different users in there, not even necessarily ones I searched for, and clicking next to the second page displays an error that there is no second page for the query.

That happens when there aren’t enough posts in the thread by that user to fill even one page so it inserts posts from the start of the thread.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Midjack posted:

That happens when there aren’t enough posts in the thread by that user to fill even one page so it inserts posts from the start of the thread.

That's interesting, because I'm pretty sure making the exact same request twice changes the results, but I'll play with it more

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

User posts is kinda hacky, they overwrite the first posts in the thread and then you see however many pages it takes to display them all. And if the last page isn't full of their posts then you'll see the part of the original page that hasn't been overwritten too

Yeah that's not good BUT changing it would mean rewriting a big part of how threads work which is why nobody ever did it

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Man that reply and quote saving function is absolutely invaluable. Is there any way to do that or something like it on my laptop (running win10)? I'm pretty sure SALR doesn't have anything like that, though I can't check right now.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

If you’re doing a really big post always type it in notepad or something and paste it into the browser.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The buttons at the bottom right save it in local cache

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Man that reply and quote saving function is absolutely invaluable. Is there any way to do that or something like it on my laptop (running win10)? I'm pretty sure SALR doesn't have anything like that, though I can't check right now.

The forums already do this by default, though it's pretty easy to miss. If you type a post, then leave the reply page without posting it and come back, you'll see "draft saved at X" right under the reply window, and three buttons on the right side for inserting that saved draft into the post window. It disappears immediately if you type something new, though.

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.
How do I reset my password to use the web version of the forums? I'm logged in on my phone. Tried the password reset link, but I have no idea what email I registered with, and I got married after I regged here and changed my email anyway. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Betazoid posted:

How do I reset my password to use the web version of the forums? I'm logged in on my phone. Tried the password reset link, but I have no idea what email I registered with, and I got married after I regged here and changed my email anyway. Thanks!

I'm not sure that the app can fix your problem since it doesn't own the credentials nor is there an API I'm aware of to reset your password.

Your best bet is to probably reach out to the admins via private message through the awful app