Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I was wondering why when I looked at it it was mostly people agreeing that boris is a moron.

I got the same, had to scroll down though 2 pages before the inevitable Guido Fawkes link. But perhaps the OP is offended people are besmirching BoJo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Urgh looks like voting in the snap election is going to be a pain.

Britons overseas urged to register for proxy not postal votes

Lol at the idea of not having registered in 2019, I updated ours as soon as the first Brexit date came and went.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

OwlFancier posted:

I was wondering why when I looked at it it was mostly people agreeing that boris is a moron.

Me too!
Saw hardly any pro-Johnson replies.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Guavanaut posted:

I'm surprised that we haven't scrapped the 1p and 2p, they're worth about what the ½p was when that was pulled (1p worth less than ½p and 2p worth less than 1p).

As I say every time this comes up, we should bin off the 5p and 10p coins because they're poo poo (especially the 5) and use the lovely coppers instead.

You can even revalue existing 1p coins to 5p and 2p coins to 10p in the interim while the new ones are introduced. Bonus effect of a small windfall for people who are hoarding jars full of loose change and will help to get the old coinage spent and returned to banks before it's obsolete.

End game is no 1p or 2p, nice warm copper 5p and 10p, silver angular 20p and 50p and chunky gold/silver mix £1 and £2. Sorted.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Shocking that the dude who posted

Gasmask posted:

i wonder what it is about female mp jess phillips that makes people so cross

Would turn out to have lovely Twitter history tbh

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Coppers make your fingers smell and I get rid of them at the first opportunity

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

sebzilla posted:

As I say every time this comes up, we should bin off the 5p and 10p coins because they're poo poo (especially the 5) and use the lovely coppers instead.

You can even revalue existing 1p coins to 5p and 2p coins to 10p in the interim while the new ones are introduced. Bonus effect of a small windfall for people who are hoarding jars full of loose change and will help to get the old coinage spent and returned to banks before it's obsolete.
I like this idea because it keeps the weights and measures of the coppers, although it's going to confuse the hell out of a lot of people and small businesses during the changeover.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Barry Foster posted:

Coppers make your fingers smell and I get rid of them at the first opportunity

Stop fingering bobbies then

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
People are being extremely uncharitable to Eddie Dempsey imho

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1174318564397985793

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ThomasPaine posted:

He's a dipshit. I don't think the people calling him a Strasserite or NatBol are close to the mark, he's just blue Labour, the old fashioned xenophobic Labour right, pro-union but also wrapped in a British flag.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Bobstar posted:

Yeah I guess I was wondering if it could be made to appear stable over a human lifetime, by slowing the rate of growth and exploitation, but I think Guava's right, the people trying that wouldn't have been allowed to be in charge.

To improve living conditions for the majority you don’t necessarily need to slow the rate of growth, just the rate at which capital centralises in the hands of the absolute richest 0.01%. There is a question about natural resources and sustainability, but that is separate.

The 60s were capitalist but the spread of wealth was far broader based and capital didn’t accumulate nearly as fast in the hands of the ultra rich. At a guess, this was because the kind of business people did back then needed a lot more labour relative to a modern business, which is at least automated and (for the really big ones) almost entirely digital and therefore scaleable.

E: and capitalism genuinely has been a sustained source of poverty reduction for hundreds of millions in China exactly because those businesses were all employing a poo poo-ton of people. Of course, all that money came almost directly out of the pockets of the western working classes, and disproportionately went to native Chinese capitalists due to highly effective state level protectionism. We’re into the second and third generations of rich (ie failsons) in China now. It’s going to be wild when the dynamic of increased prosperity for most people year on year falls apart.

Beefeater1980 fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Sep 18, 2019

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

He's a dipshit. I don't think the people calling him a Strasserite or NatBol are close to the mark, he's just blue Labour, the old fashioned xenophobic Labour right, pro-union but also wrapped in a British flag.
Both types of Unionist.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Jeremy Corbyn posted:

The people of Britain deserve to have their say in a general election. Only a Labour government would end the Brexit crisis by taking the decision back to the people. We will give the people the final say on Brexit, with the choice of a credible leave offer and remain.

A Labour government would secure a sensible deal based on the terms we have long advocated, including a new customs union with the EU; a close single market relationship; and guarantees of workers’ rights and environmental protections. We would then put that to a public vote alongside remain. I will pledge to carry out whatever the people decide, as a Labour prime minister.

We are the only UK-wide party ready to put our trust in the people of Britain to make the decision. Johnson wants to crash out with no deal. That is something opposed by business, industry, the trade unions and most of the public – and even by the Vote Leave campaign’s co-convener Michael Gove, who said earlier this year: “We didn’t vote to leave without a deal.”

And now the Liberal Democrats want MPs to overturn the referendum result by revoking article 50 in a parliamentary stitch-up. It is simply undemocratic to override the decision of a majority of the voters without going back to the people.

Labour is the only party determined to bring people together, and give the people the final say. Only a vote for Labour will deliver a public vote on Brexit. Only a Labour government will put the power back into the hands of the people. Let’s stop a no-deal Brexit – and let the people decide.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/sep/17/labour-final-say-brexit-boris-johnson-britain-eu

Because I find this sort of historical parallel exceedingly amusing, here is Eric Heffer, stalwart of the Labour left, addressing the 1981 Labour Conference

quote:

I would like to point out to comrades that there was no referendum before we went into the EEC. Mr Heath did not have a referendum. In fact, in our election manifesto in February 1974 we made the following pledge: "The people shall have the right to decide the issue through a general election or a consultative referendum. Now the last Labour Government fulfilled the pledge with regard to the referendum. However, because we held the referendum in 1975, we have the argument that we are in duty bound to have it now. We do not accept that argument on the NEC, because at the next election the electorate will be faced with a clear choice: to vote Labour and take us out, or to vote Tory, Liberal or SDP and keep us in. (Applause)

and in reply, Bill Sirs of the Labour right:

quote:

Tony Benn said of the referendum that he had done so much to achieve, that the British people had spoken and we must tremble before their voice. Well, the facts are these. If the British people have spoken and if we have decided that they should make the decision — a decision of the greatest magnitude to the whole British nation — we should not, as a party, say that we are now going to deny them the same opportunity...

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

kustomkarkommando posted:

So new research on NI's implementation of the Nordic Model of client criminalisation has been published today

https://twitter.com/SWAIIreland/status/1174275891712708608?s=19

I really hope they decriminalize this as there’s nothing I fantasize more about than visiting Belfast to pay for sex with a local.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

forkboy84 posted:

I should know what a NatBol is, but it escapes my mind. Would you fill me in?

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Jedit posted:

I should know what a NatBol is, but it escapes my mind. Would you fill me in?

National Bolshevick. Combining extreme xenophobia and communist ideology. They're only really relevant in Russia but the Internet made them into a meme because they fit the "communist fascist" label pretty well.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Bobstar posted:

Yeah I guess I was wondering if it could be made to appear stable over a human lifetime, by slowing the rate of growth and exploitation, but I think Guava's right, the people trying that wouldn't have been allowed to be in charge.

the classically marxist analysis of the crisis of capitalism really does require the rate of profit to fall. It has to go to zero. It's right there in Volume III. It's what provokes the crisis.

you can wave the the-capital-return-is-too-drat-high banner of Piketty, that decidedly neoclassical economist, or the banner of Marx, but not both at the same time

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ThomasPaine posted:

Eddie Dempsey is well on his way down the Living Marxism path to angry right-winger, he doesn't deserve sympathy

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Very nice of LK to direct the mob of rabid gammon to that poor guy's twitter

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

forkboy84 posted:

I still haven't seen any real evidence for this tbh. A couple of poorly worded statements that could be read badly, but nothing to warrant the scale of the attacks on him.

I cba arguing whether or not he's a dipshit or even fash-adjacent (though I don't personally think he's either), I'm just sensing that people aren't giving him a fair hearing and are wilfully misrepresenting his beliefs. That always irritates me whoever it is.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Ms Fuchi posted:

That's the Twitter equivalent of Farage's "Wouldn't it be a shame if" schtick.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Purple Prince posted:

National Bolshevick. Combining extreme xenophobia and communist ideology. They're only really relevant in Russia but the Internet made them into a meme because they fit the "communist fascist" label pretty well.

Ah, right. Thanks.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ms Fuchi posted:

tbf I'm pretty sure the gammons hate her more than we do

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Purple Prince posted:

Their logo was literally the "Commie Nazis" one from that Simpsons episode though, hah.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ThomasPaine posted:

I still haven't seen any real evidence for this tbh. A couple of poorly worded statements that could be read badly, but nothing to warrant the scale of the attacks on him.

I cba arguing whether or not he's a dipshit or even fash-adjacent (though I don't personally think he's either), I'm just sensing that people aren't giving him a fair hearing and are wilfully misrepresenting his beliefs. That always irritates me whoever it is.

The dude was disingenuously defending a transphobe just a few days ago.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Rarity posted:

The dude was disingenuously defending a transphobe just a few days ago.

Oh I absolutely believe he's transphobic.

E: I'm not saying I like the guy or that he doesn't have some toxic opinions. I just think calling him a nazbol is excessive.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Ms Fuchi posted:

That is a weird tweet. Like who is she talking to?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I used to work with a guy who was a lib dem voter and he hit the roof when they joined with the tories, I'd never seen him so mad. Would love to see him now with Jo Swinson in charge.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

ThomasPaine posted:

Oh I absolutely believe he's transphobic.

E: I'm not saying I like the guy or that he doesn't have some toxic opinions. I just think calling him a nazbol is excessive.

National Bolshevik perhaps not, but Strasserite does, I think, fairly describe prioritizing the anticapitalist struggle so much that not only are people who want to keep it trans-friendly unwelcome, straight-up fascists are invited to join in as long as it aids the struggle

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Oh Boris...

quote:

According to an account of the meeting, the prime minister was told by his EU counterparts in no uncertain terms that the UK’s plan to replace the backstop by allowing Northern Ireland to stick to common EU rules on food and livestock (known as SPS) was not enough to prevent customs checks on the vast majority of goods that cross the Irish border.

At that point, a befuddled Mr Johnson turned to David Frost, his chief negotiator, and Stephen Barclay, Brexit secretary, and said: “So you’re telling me the SPS plan doesn’t solve the customs problem?"

The exchange, according to one EU official, was part of an abrupt “learning curve” for Mr Johnson in his first face-to-face meeting with Mr Barnier and Mr Juncker since he took office. Another official describes the prime minister gradually “slumping” in his chair as the reality of the UK’s negotiating position and the limited time left to strike an agreement dawned on him. “He wasn’t used to hearing it”, added the official.
https://www.ft.com/content/7453c686-d9b7-11e9-8f9b-77216ebe1f17

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

https://twitter.com/jimmfelton/status/1174272598911463424?s=21

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Judoon Platoon posted:

BBC reporting that Hospital Dad is also a :siren: LABOUR ACTIVIST :siren: so that’s cool and rad for anyone who wants to watch the state broadcaster starting the process of ruining a man’s life for daring to confront Dear Leader.

Can't believe this guy made his own kid sick in long-game gambit to sting Johnson

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ronya posted:

National Bolshevik perhaps not, but Strasserite does, I think, fairly describe prioritizing the anticapitalist struggle so much that not only are people who want to keep it trans-friendly unwelcome, straight-up fascists are invited to join in as long as it aids the struggle
Strasserism would necessitate a Volk as well wouldn't it? Like I always see it as the BNP's obsession with "indigenous Britons" which is very important and doesn't just mean whites, honest.

That's a bit different to Blue Labour chud unionism, although from some angles there wouldn't be much daylight.

Steamed Gams.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
Lol Boris is so unlucky tho. Like he keeps getting 1s on his Politics rolls.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
UKMT inspired me to roast a gammon.

It was good.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Saith posted:

Lol Boris is so unlucky tho. Like he keeps getting 1s on his Politics rolls.

His rolls are actually average its just the huge maluses from all his awful stats.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Hentai Jihadist posted:

His rolls are actually average its just the huge maluses from all his awful stats.

No amount of luck is overcoming that -12 CHA modifier

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/iresimpsonsfans/status/1174319754296909824

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

What's weird is the gm keeps going "actually that's a pass"