Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
Yeah we file separate research tickets too, labeling them as 'spike'. But now this has become a tool to offload PM work onto engineers since the research is often non-technical in nature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

How important do you think it is for a Project Manager to have experience as a developer? I ask because I retire from the military next year and am looking into shifting career fields. I am finishing up a degree in Software Development and Security which is kind of a hybrid Computer Science/Cybersecurity degree without the super high end CS math. My military experience has nothing to do with software development but I do have more than a decade of solid experience leading teams of up to 30 or so people.

I know there is a big difference in ordering people around who listen because they have to and managing a team of people who listen because it's in everyone's best interest to work together. My style is much closer to the latter and I don't think I am so indoctrinated in a military lifestyle that the adjustment will be too severe.

I mostly think this might be a way for me to capitalize on some of the time spent for the last twenty years vs starting out competing against recent CS grads for dev positions who have degrees from more prestigious universities and are 20 years younger than me. Also, I really do like being a generalist and almost everyone I've been in a position to manage have told me that they are happy they had a chance to work with me.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 18, 2019

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Project Managers with actual dev experience are rare; you'll more likely want a TPM job.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Volmarias posted:

Project Managers with actual dev experience are rare; you'll more likely want a TPM job.

This is where I show my ignorance because I thought people used the term Project/Product Manager and Technical Product Manager almost interchangeably.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

There are few PMs with dev experience. They also tend not to have expertise with the business-side. It's no wonder most of them end up being bad.

I'm currently working with a client-side PM that did a lateral move from a UI dev role. She's supporting a financial engine where she doesn't understand the finance aspect, and she doesn't understand the dev aspect. Doing a really bad job. What's interesting is seeing the role transform someone who was a competent dev into a PM who she'd likely have derided in the past.

shrike82 fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Sep 18, 2019

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

the most important skill for a pm is probably being able to think in systems holistically. no one is gonna expect you to know how to produce an api response, but you should be able to explain what needs to be in the response, how each of the elements is important and where each of the elements derives from (not like which database row, but how did this information get into our system?)

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

That’s been my experience to a T with PMs this far.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

the talent deficit posted:

the most important skill for a pm is probably being able to think in systems holistically. no one is gonna expect you to know how to produce an api response, but you should be able to explain what needs to be in the response, how each of the elements is important and where each of the elements derives from (not like which database row, but how did this information get into our system?)
In this scenario, the most important skill for a PM is getting the stakeholders and the developers to agree what that API response should contain, not to come up with the answer themselves

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Vulture Culture posted:

In this scenario, the most important skill for a PM is getting the stakeholders and the developers to agree what that API response should contain, not to come up with the answer themselves

sure but unless your pm is just carrying notes from stakeholders to devs and vice versa they need to understand the details. i'm not saying they should dictate these things, but they need to understand them

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
I thought Product Managers and Project Managers were different but none of the good ones I’ve known in either category had development backgrounds.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
Of the PMs you think were good, can any of you name qualities they shared that made them good at their jobs? Obviously attention to detail, I like the bit about thinking of systems holistically. I would add "thinking algorithmically". I wish my PMs conceptualized engineering the way my intro to programming books did: object oriented and imperative e.g. recipes and cooking appliances. Just that base level of understanding would improve requirements gathering, etc. immensely.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol at the loving AI bubble

a friend asked me to provide some (pro bono) advice for his seed-stage startup about how they can incorporate ML in their business model gradually. they are building an app with curated domain content and were up-front about not making a deep tech play.

over the past week, they were apparently pushed by their investors into building in AI capability at launch so want help in coming up with a plan to build an AI recommendation system within 3 months

shrike82 fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Sep 18, 2019

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

How important do you think it is for a Project Manager to have experience as a developer? I ask because I retire from the military next year and am looking into shifting career fields. I am finishing up a degree in Software Development and Security which is kind of a hybrid Computer Science/Cybersecurity degree without the super high end CS math. My military experience has nothing to do with software development but I do have more than a decade of solid experience leading teams of up to 30 or so people.

I know there is a big difference in ordering people around who listen because they have to and managing a team of people who listen because it's in everyone's best interest to work together. My style is much closer to the latter and I don't think I am so indoctrinated in a military lifestyle that the adjustment will be too severe.

I mostly think this might be a way for me to capitalize on some of the time spent for the last twenty years vs starting out competing against recent CS grads for dev positions who have degrees from more prestigious universities and are 20 years younger than me. Also, I really do like being a generalist and almost everyone I've been in a position to manage have told me that they are happy they had a chance to work with me.

Being a developer who moved into this role after a period of management: I never started low or competing with recent grads as my clients value all my other experience as well. Now I have found that not having a mono-focused career is really beneficial to the dev work where I understand very well what the need is the software is filling and can aim my efforts well. As a result, I don't have to work that hard which is something I like a lot. If you are a natural leader, you will float to the top pretty fast so don't worry about it. I would still recommend to start writing code for money, it is a fun thing to do.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

vonnegutt posted:

I work remotely, usually from my home office, which theoretically would make it hard to "switch off" at the end of the day. In practice I don't find it too hard. A big part of it is that I try to be very deliberate with my working time, because after I finish my work, there's no "butt in seat" time to fill - it's all my free time. So every morning when I drink my coffee I decide what I'm going to get done that day. I try not to do busywork or pseudo-work like checking email and instead to identify exactly what would be my best contribution. If I finish that early, great.

Once I'm working, I try to be constantly aware of how much I'm actually getting accomplished, because towards 4pm I tend to start slowing down and making errors. I find it's best to stop while I'm ahead.

Do you use your home office for anything besides work? I work remote from home as well and sometimes I have real productivity problems where I just can't focus. I try lots of different things like pomodoro, blocking distracting websites, disabling notifications, etc. but some days it feels like I just can't make myself work. As far as I can tell it's never been a major issue because my employers have always been happy with my output, but the days where I just kinda float through not really working but also not really not working can be pretty frustrating. I think for me it's especially an issue when I need to work on something that either doesn't have very well-defined requirements, or is just boring/the wrong kind of difficult.

I actually had this problem when I worked in an office too (with the added bonus of getting distracted by open office BS), I guess because when your job is to be on the computer it's just really easy to find things to do that aren't work. For example it's my day off right now but here I am sitting in my office posting on SA and about to start playing computer games.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

shrike82 posted:

lol at the loving AI bubble

a friend asked me to provide some (pro bono) advice for his seed-stage startup about how they can incorporate ML in their business model gradually. they are building an app with curated domain content and were up-front about not making a deep tech play.

over the past week, they were apparently pushed by their investors into building in AI capability at launch so want help in coming up with a plan to build an AI recommendation system within 3 months

Classical AI and linear recommendation algorithms count right? :v:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

prom candy posted:

Do you use your home office for anything besides work? I work remote from home as well and sometimes I have real productivity problems where I just can't focus.

I have this problem myself and the best way I can mitigate it is dedicate some early morning time to loving around and once it’s out of my system I can focus more on work.

I also do a lot of consulting so keeping the lights on is usually a good motivating factor, but that may not apply to you.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

prom candy posted:

Do you use your home office for anything besides work? I work remote from home as well and sometimes I have real productivity problems where I just can't focus.

I justify that by noting that when I worked in an office, I had days where I had real productivity problems. At least with WFH, if I get a second wind at 8 pm, I can grab my laptop and get some stuff done while hanging out with my wife.

:shrug:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

raminasi posted:

I thought Product Managers and Project Managers were different but none of the good ones I’ve known in either category had development backgrounds.

They are different, but it's very uncommon for either of them to actually have backgrounds in development.

WRT good qualities, they include

• The ability to actually crunch numbers, be it Excel, R, SAS or whatever
  • Sharp, able to understand concepts without babysitting
  • Some measure of political skill and the ability to get other teams to prioritize stuff you need done
  • Able to determine trends in issues, user requests, opportunities, etc and prioritize
  • View teams as more than work factories and understand strengths and weaknesses

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 18, 2019

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I worked with a great PO last job. He would sit down and interview all us devs during release planning, 3 times a year, and advocate for things we really wanted on top of the business needs.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
My favorite PM started as a tester in the QA department, so they already had an understanding of how a lot of the site worked and what our recurring issues were. They also had the initiative to go investigate stuff on their own, without needing one of us devs to walk them through a feature. Also, importantly, they knew when they had hit the end of what they could do on their own and asked us for advice, unlike some of the other PM's, who would just stumble around for a bit, then make a bunch of incorrect assumptions.

I miss having a good PM (and that one, in particular!).

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

prom candy posted:

Do you use your home office for anything besides work? I work remote from home as well and sometimes I have real productivity problems where I just can't focus. I try lots of different things like pomodoro, blocking distracting websites, disabling notifications, etc. but some days it feels like I just can't make myself work. As far as I can tell it's never been a major issue because my employers have always been happy with my output, but the days where I just kinda float through not really working but also not really not working can be pretty frustrating. I think for me it's especially an issue when I need to work on something that either doesn't have very well-defined requirements, or is just boring/the wrong kind of difficult.

Yeah, it's also my art studio and I use the same laptop for work as I do for post-work dicking around on the internet, which is apparently sacrilege for working remote.

As for procrastination and focus, I think everyone struggles no matter where they work. AFAIK procrastination comes down to either anxiety or boredom, and being able to identify which one you're feeling is useful. Boredom is easy (for me): isolate the boring task, then grab a cup of coffee, put on a good album, and pomodoro that sucker until it's done. Then, reward myself after finishing (snack, long break).

Anxiety is harder. If I'm not sure how to code something, it's easy to get distracted and lose focus. For me, once I recognize that I'm procrastinating because I don't know what to do, I step away from the computer. This is why I go to the gym almost every day - get good and stuck, lift weights, revelation. Other times, writing things down helps. I keep a scratch pad next to my laptop at all times. Shut the laptop and try to write down all the steps in order to identify exactly where my problem is. Once I have a specific question, I can start reading documentation or asking around or googling.

Feeling overwhelmed is another reason for anxiety procrastination for me. If there's just TOO MUCH to do, I'll open an empty text file and just write down all the things I can think of that need to be done. Then I'll spend some time reordering the list, seeing which are dependencies of others, which are requirements vs nice to haves, and try to come up with a solid task list. Then I copy down ONE thing from the list on to my scratch pad and do it to completion before I look at my file again.

This is why goal setting is important: without deciding in advance what I want to finish per day, it's easy to have an anxiety spiral that you're "not getting enough done". Some days my goal is simply, "Resolve all unknowns into task list".

Basically, it all comes down to attitude: I would rather finish work and feel like I have free time instead of spending my day doing not much and not having fun either. So I try to find coping strategies for procrastination - if I'm wasting time, it's my time I'm wasting.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

raminasi posted:

In theory, the difference is that product managers are responsible for making sure that the product meets business requirements, and project managers are responsible for getting things out the door on time and under budget. At any given organization, the roles might be different in arbitrary ways.

zerofunk
Apr 24, 2004

I agree with all of that. I work remotely from home. Desk is setup in my bedroom, so I easily spend over half the day in one room albeit asleep for a good chunk of it. Probably been like that for around five years now at this point. I would never claim that it is ideal, but I can definitely still get work done. I feel like the concept of separating work from home is sound. Ultimately it is a mental thing though. Yes, sometimes physical separation helps with that. However, I don't think it is mandatory.

When I have trouble getting things done, there is pretty much always some factor (vonnegutt covered this pretty well) other than the environment. Yes, there are distractions at home, but there are also distractions in the office.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Volmarias posted:

They are different, but it's very uncommon for either of them to actually have backgrounds in development.

WRT good qualities, they include

• Some measure of political skill and the ability to get other teams to prioritize stuff you need done
  • View teams as more than work factories and understand strengths and weaknesses

yeah agree on these two. Especially with the latter, it's not uncommon to see PMs that view developers as means for them to clear a list of work items, rather than viewing themselves as facilitating dev work.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

This is good stuff, thank you.

In general how many hours of good-ish work do you fine posters feel like you should do to be fair to your employers? Nobody is actually cranking out 8 hours of good coding a day are they?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Some days you give a full eight, maybe more; some days you just can’t do anything. It evens out, I guess?

As long as you’re not working too slowly such that you’re holding up a project or release or something.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

[quote="Ferdinand the Bull" post="498423575"]
All the jobs I've had there has been an expectation that I'm making noticable progress every day. I cherish the days when I have 8 hours to code and my work day isnt clogges up with meetings that just go on and on.

It is fair to your employer that you give maximal effort show professionalism and responsibility at what you are assigned to do, you understand what you are doing, and that you can communicate what you have done and what you are going to do following to achieve the goal.
[/quote

Ferdinand the Bull fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 21, 2019

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

It is fair to your employer that you give maximal effort

:lol: no

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

It depends how poo poo of a time you want to have with the codebase you slog through every day.

You also owe it to yourself to not suck at what you do. It takes effort to understand the space youre working in.

Ferdinand the Bull fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Sep 19, 2019

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

The interesting thing about programming is that it doesn't tend to be a typical 9-5 job. You don't have a quota of widgets to stamp every day, you can typically do work until you feel like you're not really being effective anymore and then you leave (barring non work constraints on when you start and leave). This usually shakes out to an 8 hour workday for me but sometimes it's more and sometimes less.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

It is fair to your employer that you give maximal effort at what you are assigned to do

check out this collaborator

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

I didn't know my colleagues shared an account to post here. :confuoot:

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

prom candy posted:

This is good stuff, thank you.

In general how many hours of good-ish work do you fine posters feel like you should do to be fair to your employers? Nobody is actually cranking out 8 hours of good coding a day are they?

It depends. I try to set a reasonable goal each day that pushes the feature along in a steady, demonstrable way.

Some days the amount of actual lines of code changed is nearly nil. Instead, it's understanding the problem space, reading docs, clarifying requirements, all that uphill work. Even when a task is well-defined from a business perspective, the existing code can be confusing. I try to avoid actual typing until I understand exactly what I'm changing and why. Despite not producing anything, it's much harder and I can probably only do about 4 hours per day of actual, heads-down focus. I've found that some concepts just need time to percolate so I don't try to push out more than I can handle. When I find myself struggling to remember a single line I just read, I know it's time to take a long break / stop for the day.

Alternatively, I find the closer I am to the end of a feature, the faster I code. I know what I'm going to do and at that point it's just a matter of typing. I could easily do 6+ hours of that without feeling strained. My partner gets home around 4:30 pm so I never work much longer than that, except in rare circumstances. So I try to arrange things so I get my stuff done before then.

As far as my relationship with my managers goes, I make a point to give them estimates as soon as I am reasonably certain, and then I make a point to meet them (this is rare in software development?? but I came from a graphics background where missing a deadline was a lost client). If I discover something and can't meet my self-imposed deadline, I let them know ASAP. If I have to push and work late to meet my own deadline, I will, but then I try to figure out what caused me to overestimate my own abilities and change it for next time. I'm lucky to have a couple reasonable people as my managers who trust me when I say X is going to take so long. Sometimes they push back, but I don't let them dictate deadlines, we just discuss how to get the scope smaller.

After any super-features (2+ weeks), I make a point to take a few days and just do simple bugfixes to give myself something of a break. These are days when I really try to finish early and go on a hike or something.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

It is fair to your employer that you give maximal effort

Hard no

The unofficial motto here is "play hard, work medium". Work to live not live to work.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

vonnegutt posted:

As far as my relationship with my managers goes, I make a point to give them estimates as soon as I am reasonably certain, and then I make a point to meet them (this is rare in software development?? but I came from a graphics background where missing a deadline was a lost client). If I discover something and can't meet my self-imposed deadline, I let them know ASAP. If I have to push and work late to meet my own deadline, I will, but then I try to figure out what caused me to overestimate my own abilities and change it for next time. I'm lucky to have a couple reasonable people as my managers who trust me when I say X is going to take so long. Sometimes they push back, but I don't let them dictate deadlines, we just discuss how to get the scope smaller.

For things that I am not 100% certain about, I've taken to using 50/80/99 estimating with managers and it's had good success in keeping expectations in check.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Hard no

The unofficial motto here is "play hard, work medium". Work to live not live to work.

I agree with that if your company is writing tests for all your code.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

I agree with that if your company is writing tests for all your code.

I interpret 'giving maximal effort' as working OT to meet deadlines, taking calls after hours, etc. Perhaps I was mistaken to interpret it that way. But I certainly write my own tests.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

I interpret 'giving maximal effort' as working OT to meet deadlines, taking calls after hours, etc. Perhaps I was mistaken to interpret it that way. But I certainly write my own tests.

Ah I see.

Giving maximal effort is putting in your agreed upon hours per week and not dicking around and writing half assed code. Its not overworking yourself and giving more than promised, at least to me.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Maximal effort for maximal salary. Now, what maximal salary means ... everyone will have a different number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Also, don't play hard. Relax. Drink slower. Read a book.