Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

MikeCrotch posted:

Being left handed is an advantage for deadlift a because it means your mixed grip will be the correct way round to take advantage of earth's rotation
I never tried mixed grip because I fear for my bicep, but you're making this lefty want to try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

barkbell posted:

How does leftism inform your workouts

I mean not directly but a lot of marginalized voices are present which makes for a very different discourse than most white/cis/male dominated fitness spaces. I've certainly learned a lot about how people from different backgrounds experience fitness.

Cosmik Slop posted:

The means of broduction are in the hands of the swoletariat.

lol

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Zzulu posted:

without a belt

My man

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

turd in my singlet posted:

I mean not directly but a lot of marginalized voices are present which makes for a very different discourse than most white/cis/male dominated fitness spaces. I've certainly learned a lot about how people from different backgrounds experience fitness.

Everything’s 2.5lbs heavier for those folks I’m sure

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
Weights are generally heavier for people further away from the equator as well due to the equatorial bulge

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
its a 5lb difference in weight for the average person standing at the equator or the north pole

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
is that why people from iceland are so strong?

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

my bad its more like a 1/2 lb difference, but yes basically

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nPTC6T_x6M

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Fallows posted:

my bad its more like a 1/2 lb difference, but yes basically

This is why things would be easier if we'd just switch to the god dammed metric system. 0KG is your weight at the poles and 100KG is where your muscles boil.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I like bread and butter

I like toast and jam

But I'll tell you the real truth is

Turkey is just feathered ham

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
Remember the Hodge Twins? Apparently they're Proud Conservative grifters now. I saw a video of them rolling around on the ground shooting guns on instagram. Apparently the adpocalypse snapped their poo poo up and the comedy tour didn't pan out.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Here have 166kg C&J at 55kg at the Worlds WL

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2mAr93I-3A/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I'm definitely not getting low enough on my jerks.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I think I maybe almost started to pass out during a deadlift today

I was wearing headphones and listening to some crazy music and was doing the lift (it was a new PR) and like I could hear the music sort of slowing down or distorting or something as I pushed myself BEYOND MY LIMITS. Like that effect in movies when time slows down and everyone sounds weird

It wasn't the track itself as I had heard it a million times before

I think my brain just told me to chill

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Dum Cumpster posted:

Remember the Hodge Twins? Apparently they're Proud Conservative grifters now. I saw a video of them rolling around on the ground shooting guns on instagram. Apparently the adpocalypse snapped their poo poo up and the comedy tour didn't pan out.

This was a bummer. I used to watch their videos all the time, even bought a Gainsville shirt. Even if it's a scam I hate to see anyone fall in with those MAGA assholes.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Collapsing Farts posted:

This is correct

A few weeks ago I saw some guy who started filming a really hot girl who was on the treadmill. Like, this dude just picks up his phone and starts filming the rear end of a woman infront of everyone like he didn't even understand why it was wrong

The receptionist at the gym had to ask him to leave when the treadmill-hottie noticed and complained and the phone guy just looked confused the whole way out like he couldn't grasp the injustice done to him since he had done Nothing Wrong in his mind

Pretty sure the gym I go to has a "no cameras" rule specifically because of this, I've seen the same thing with guys trying to be sneaky & taking pics of girls exercising. It's like ...seriously, dude?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
A guy in my gym today had his phone propped up on the hack squat machine while he wrapped his knees for extreme leg press and was narrating what he was doing but I was 12 feet away and couldn't make out a word he was mumbling over the music so good luck to his youtube follower.

I've lost 4 (four) pounds and my shoulder feels a bit better but still not right. Bad times.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

Collapsing Farts posted:

I was wearing headphones and listening to some crazy music and was doing the lift (it was a new PR) and like I could hear the music sort of slowing down or distorting or something as I pushed myself BEYOND MY LIMITS. Like that effect in movies when time slows down and everyone sounds weird

Congratulations you lifted your first heavy weight

that's p normal for me with heavy squats and deadlifts, i don't worry about it much

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I just make sure to give myself a second afterward before I go walking or running off anywhere. The main danger is passing out and cracking your head on some weights, or turd's very hard and bony frame.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I sit up way too fast after benching without thinking and feel lightheaded and one day I'll just pass out from that probably

Jove Tone
Jan 12, 2006

Anyone else have balance issues after spending too long on the treadmill? I feel like I'm zooming around at warp speed even though I'm just walking after I'm done.

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer
I have normally low blood pressure, and sometimes it gets even lower and I get very weak and lightheaded. I have some breathing exercises I learned from my sifu so I don't pass out and can continue my workout. Squats are usually the ones that get me weak, I cannot go up in weight very often because of that.

I have an actual question, do you warmup for a lift with lower weights and progressively increase it until you reach your working weight for a set?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Sweet As Sin posted:

I have an actual question, do you warmup for a lift with lower weights and progressively increase it until you reach your working weight for a set?

Yeah. There are a number of different schemes you can use, but the calculator at http://warmupreps.com/ is reasonable for most people.

Flipgrip
Feb 16, 2007

Not super strong by any means but I still start every exercise with the bar. (except deadlifts because gently caress that ROM)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

A lot of strong lifters start with the bar.

Except deadlifts yes.

Warming up with the bar is cool and good.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

I will use the bar for bench and ohp, but squats just don't feel right without *at least* 95 on there. I usually just start at 135. Its heavy enough that it feels correct but light enough that it's still a warm up.

Doing squats with like a broom or just a bar feels bad. The weight helps 'push' you down into proper position. I wonder if a lot of novices are turned off before they experience it. I certainly don't feel like I got squats until around 135.

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer
Thanks! I usually do the bar and go up from there but it takes me ages.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sweet As Sin posted:

Thanks! I usually do the bar and go up from there but it takes me ages.

Honestly that’s fine. The volume even at low weights is good.

Just do what you feel comfortable with.

There really is no wrong way to warm up... unless you don’t warm up then just lol.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

itskage posted:

I will use the bar for bench and ohp, but squats just don't feel right without *at least* 95 on there. I usually just start at 135. Its heavy enough that it feels correct but light enough that it's still a warm up.

Doing squats with like a broom or just a bar feels bad. The weight helps 'push' you down into proper position. I wonder if a lot of novices are turned off before they experience it. I certainly don't feel like I got squats until around 135.

I'm with you on the squats with an empty bar, just feels... useless?

Like, I got past the "get bloodflow going into the area you're working out" part by getting out of the car and walking into the gym.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

sassassin posted:

I've lost 4 (four) pounds and my shoulder feels a bit better but still not right. Bad times.

you're supposed to gain weight when you're trying to heal, silly

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
I lost 10 pounds from shoulder surgery it's definitely a good way to lose weight

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

feelix posted:

I lost 10 pounds from shoulder surgery it's definitely a good way to lose weight

sorry for your amputation

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

After a couple of sets of empty bar squats my grip starts to resemble a proper grip, usually cant even get it into my palms insider of the sleeves until my shoulders warm up some. Sometimes it doesn't start to feel Good until I am on the last working set or so.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ovenboy posted:

After a couple of sets of empty bar squats my grip starts to resemble a proper grip, usually cant even get it into my palms insider of the sleeves until my shoulders warm up some. Sometimes it doesn't start to feel Good until I am on the last working set or so.

Try paused breathing squats with the bar.

I’ve found they are great for warming up the hips/ shoulders.

I’ll do them with the bar then 135 then 155 and they really do feel great.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

I do air squats and then just the bar to warm up because it makes me not get knee pain that I otherwise get. Well, that's my story.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
"Height?"
6'
"Weight?"
207 but I'm trying to lose a bit more before before this wedding I'm going to
"Lose what all I see is muscle?"

God bless you flirty OR nurses. If I wasn't on Ativan at the time I would have thought fast enough to ask her to be my +1.

As of right now I *should* technically be able to RDL and Bent Over Row with 0 back pain now that all my nerves have been burned away. Can't wait to go test that theory out next week.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Coming back from sciatica and I'm feeling good about the overall lack of strength loss. Back to squatting 315, could probably go further but still got The Fear. Did a new bench PR at 3x265lbs :feelsgood:

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Fhqwhgads posted:

"Height?"
6'
"Weight?"
207 but I'm trying to lose a bit more before before this wedding I'm going to
"Lose what all I see is muscle?"

God bless you flirty OR nurses. If I wasn't on Ativan at the time I would have thought fast enough to ask her to be my +1.

As of right now I *should* technically be able to RDL and Bent Over Row with 0 back pain now that all my nerves have been burned away. Can't wait to go test that theory out next week.

These girls are freaks. They deal with body fluids like they work in a slaughterhouse. Grab that brass ring next time homeboy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

These girls are freaks. They deal with body fluids like they work in a slaughterhouse. Grab that brass ring next time homeboy.

Yeah nurses are wild.

like for real.