Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harmonia
Jul 1, 2014
An ambient track called something like "Werewolf at midnight" if I remember it correctly.

No music, just recording of night insects making noise, leaves shuffling.. some brd far away.

It doesn't even have any wolf howls, just these noises from a forest or lake. It might have been in some Halloween atmosphere album.

I had it on mp3 like 15-20 years ago. It would bring me back to the nostalgia of that era in my life.

I have tried searching it under different titles from youtube but no luck yet. Some stupid powermetal bands or reaction videos on some roleplaying game.

"Werewolf howls at midnight" "Werewolf at night" "Werewolf at midnight"

As years go by the memory of the correct title has been fading slowly from my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

I've got a few white whales. The first one's a children's book, and I'm just going to quote what I put in an old "what children's book was this?" thread:

quote:

Alright, I've got a book that I read once and have no idea how to identify. It was a sort of introduction to optical illusions for kids, framed as a story of a bug(?) lady(?) who is trying to make her way home(?), and keeps being blocked by the illusions drawn on the page. The only one I remember is the ol' grid of black boxes, where you see grey spots in the aisles between them. And she complains, "I can't get home, there are these grey dots in my way!" But the narrator tells her to look at the dots individually and they disappear. By the end of the book, she goes crazy or something.

The book was prefaced with a line saying "All the illusions in this book were made with ordinary white paper and ordinary black ink," and was so excited by learning this privalaged information that I asked my mom if we could get some "ordinary black ink" so I could make my own.

I think I'd read it around '89 or '90.
Every time I try to look for it, I get a little more skeptical that it even ever existed, but who knows?

The next one's a bit from an audio book I got from the library, this would have been early 90s.

The tape was a collection of Just So Stories, and may have been called that. Which makes it hard to search for. It started with an intro song repeating "Just just so, just just so-o-o", and was then followed by some story about a husband who was trying to trick his wife, and the wife gets wise to it or something and ends up chasing after him at the end. And there may have been chicken soup involved.

Which gets to the part that really stuck with me.
There's a song at that point about chicken soup. It's a bouncy melody, signing, "chi-i-ick-chick-chick-chick-chicken, chick-chick-chicken soup! For anything that ails ya..." I at least know this one was real, because my brothers remember it, too.

And last and least, I've got an old commercial/PSA I can't find. I've actually had a lot of luck finding most of the old PSAs of my childhood, from the classic "science and technology" one to the car safety seat song, but this one's still a mystery. It was mid-90s, and I don't know if it was a local one, but would have been in the SF Bay area.

It was a PSA about water conservation. It started with a clown standing in front of a sink in a black void, washing an oversized dish in near silence as the tap was running. A fairy godmother appeared nearby and shook her finger in a reproachful manner. The clown shrugged and continued washing. The scene faded out and back in, and the clown was now inspecting the clean dish with a giant magnifying lens as the tap continued to run. The scene faded out again.

It faded back in and the clown was now brushing his teeth in front of the sink's mirror using a toothbrush about the size of a baseball bat. The tap, of course, was running. The fairy godmother appeared again, grabbed the toothbrush, and hit the clown over the head with it. The clown did a "oh, of course!" gesture and turned off the tap. A narrator then broke the silence, saying something like "you don't need to be hit over the head to know it's a good idea to save water. Don't be a clown, conserve water."

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
A film, maybe from the 90s with a really long intro, possibly zooming in slowly on a house.

The music is mostly upbeat but then shifts to a very ominous

that repeats a couple times.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Harmonia posted:

An ambient track called something like "Werewolf at midnight" if I remember it correctly.

No music, just recording of night insects making noise, leaves shuffling.. some brd far away.

It doesn't even have any wolf howls, just these noises from a forest or lake. It might have been in some Halloween atmosphere album.

I had it on mp3 like 15-20 years ago. It would bring me back to the nostalgia of that era in my life.

I have tried searching it under different titles from youtube but no luck yet. Some stupid powermetal bands or reaction videos on some roleplaying game.

As years go by the memory of the correct title has been fading slowly from my mind.

"Echoes of Nature: The Natural Sounds of the Wilderness " Disc 3, Track 3 "Hoots and Howls"
https://www.amazon.com/Echoes-Nature-Various-Artists/dp/B00004ST50

Fits the bill?

(I have a CD sampler that has some of these tracks, including this one, so hit me up with an email address if you can't find it elsewhere)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Harmonia posted:

I'd be willing to bet that it's the first track, "Night Creatures," off of New Chilling, Thrilling Sounds of the Haunted House from 1979. It's got everything you've described here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHGC9HrUBsE

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
A list someone had made of all the things that Pa Ingalls is described doing competently/skillfully/successfully in the Little House on the Prairie books (not the tv show, gently caress that noise) It was at least 40 items long and I might have seen it in the New Yorker or maybe Harpers because they like a list. I've looked for it for years and can't find it online.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

QUACKTASTIC posted:

The second part of Peter Benchly's mediocre miniseries Creature; it's easy to find the first part, but not the second where Nazi Sharkman finally goes on a rampage.

I have this on taped from tv vhs somewhere. I can digitize it asap and send you the link.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
There's a game that I swear I played like 20-25 years ago, would've been on a PC, that I think was like a sidescroller set in ancient Egypt? It wasn't particularly good but it had a certain aesthetic that I haven't gotten out of my brain since. It might have been more of a kids game, and the graphics were more cartoonish than cool, but I've never been able to find it. I remember AE having some significance but that might just be from thinking it's in ancient Egypt. I've searched a bunch for this over the years so I'll be sad if you Google it and find it right away.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Captain Splendid posted:

A film, maybe from the 90s with a really long intro, possibly zooming in slowly on a house.

The music is mostly upbeat but then shifts to a very ominous

that repeats a couple times.

without having more info i'm gonna have to go with 'too many cooks'?

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
There is a great documentary from 1984 called Gore Vidal: The Man Who Said No, about his 1982 primary run against Jerry Brown for one of California's Senate seats. It was only released on VHS, and I have never been able to find a digitized version online.

I shouldn't even be asking for this because I have a battered old VHS copy, just no easy way to rip it. I should probably just get off my lazy rear end and do finally hook up my ancient desktop computer to the even more ancient VCR, but figured I'd ask if anyone has a copy before I go through the monumental effort of doing that.

On that note, is there an easy way to convert VHS tapes these days? I am pretty ignorant when it comes to computers beyond what I need to teach myself for work, so any help is appreciated.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

500 good dogs posted:

There's a game that I swear I played like 20-25 years ago, would've been on a PC, that I think was like a sidescroller set in ancient Egypt? It wasn't particularly good but it had a certain aesthetic that I haven't gotten out of my brain since. It might have been more of a kids game, and the graphics were more cartoonish than cool, but I've never been able to find it. I remember AE having some significance but that might just be from thinking it's in ancient Egypt. I've searched a bunch for this over the years so I'll be sad if you Google it and find it right away.

Carmen Sandiego's Great Chase Through Time?

E: might be ClueFinders 4th Grade Adventures: Puzzle of the Pyramid

E: or an early prince of persia maybe.

Resting Lich Face fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 18, 2019

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Rex-Goliath posted:

without having more info i'm gonna have to go with 'too many cooks'?

That doesn't ring a bell, sorry.

All I can remember apart from that melody is it's really well known.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

500 good dogs posted:

ancient empires

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN_Ces6y1pg

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

YES I loving LOVE YOU

holy poo poo I can't believe it

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
holy poo poo those puzzles too!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Gutter Phoenix posted:

On that note, is there an easy way to convert VHS tapes these days? I am pretty ignorant when it comes to computers beyond what I need to teach myself for work, so any help is appreciated.
Probably best to send it along to a reputable conversion house to do (if they can do, dunno about the legality there).

Otherwise you'll need a capture device to plug into your computer that accepts Composite so you can hook the image out of the VHS player, something like Premiere Pro or iMovie to capture/edit the footage, and some time.

You'll probably be able to find a capture device that automates the capture process and has its own software if that helps things.

VvV
That's like half the battle already. Premiere Pro has a CAPTURE setting under the file menu that helps get you set up. You can tweak the settings (Like the NTSC/PAL standard) there and the virtual deck has controls in case you need to pause/ff through poo poo.

Honestly haven't used it since Firewire was a usable standard, but it was ok back then.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 18, 2019

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

FilthyImp posted:

Probably best to send it along to a reputable conversion house to do (if they can do, dunno about the legality there).

Otherwise you'll need a capture device to plug into your computer that accepts Composite so you can hook the image out of the VHS player, something like Premiere Pro or iMovie to capture/edit the footage, and some time.

You'll probably be able to find a capture device that automates the capture process and has its own software if that helps things.

Thanks! Yeah, I do have a converter thingamabob, and really just need to set it up. I should probably just get off my lazy rear end and convert my few remaining VHS tapes while they still (hopefully) work.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
Does anyone know what game this screen shot is from?

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

I have a few musical mysteries:

#1: Random album I found recently

A few months ago I stumbled upon an album on YouTube from some obscure band. I added it to a playlist and then it was de-listed a few days later and I don't remember the name of it. I can't really describe musical genres, but it was upbeat music with guitars and synths. I want to say the album art had some sort of beige cylinder pattern with the title written on it, kind of like this maybe?

One of the songs had the lyrics "but we're not to blame, not to bla-a-ame" followed by a synth solo that sounded exactly like this.

#2: Random instrumental music from my childhood

I remember hearing a particular piece of music when I was about 8 years old, and I know I haven't heard it since then but I still somehow remember almost all of it. It was an instrumental track played on guitar and flute (so I can't search for lyrics), and it basically sounded like this:

(mp3 version)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

500 good dogs posted:

This is a stretch, but Museum Madness?

edit: gently caress; wrong AND beaten

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Sep 19, 2019

The Stroker Ace
Feb 7, 2007

Im usually really good at finding this stuff but the one thing that Ive been trying to find forever is an animated sci-fi movie that aired on either Nickelodeon or maybe USA some in like 86-89, Saturday afternoon movie type of thing. It was probably a westernized anime, sadly the only thing I remember is that theres like a futuristic space planet where the story takes place and at the very end its revealed that (I think) on the other side of the star that the planet revolves around is a like mirror image world, but everything is organic. Like theres a R2D2 droid guy, but on the other world hes completely made of wood. It might not have been planets, it might have been realities. I just remember them coming face to face with the different versions of themselves.

Thats all I have, and its been driving me crazy for years.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

I'm getting Hitman vibes from it, but there's no bald guy/barcodes in that shot.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

pooch516 posted:

I'm getting Hitman vibes from it, but there's no bald guy/barcodes in that shot.

What other games have suit wearing characters?

Mafia, James Bond, Grand Theft Auto, looks to modern of a suit for LA Noir

I'm sure theres dozens more.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

I think that's from some pirate themed game that came with the Playstation 4. I don't play many games, but I won that one while working from home because my girlfriend got a PS4 for some reason.

This:

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I think that's from some pirate themed game that came with the Playstation 4. I don't play many games, but I won that one while working from home because my girlfriend got a PS4 for some reason.

This:

I guess you can do whatever when you're your own boss, but you probably should have been jacking off your girlfriend instead of playing games on the clock.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Mammal Sauce posted:

I guess you can do whatever when you're your own boss, but you probably should have been jacking off your girlfriend instead of playing games on the clock.

I had almost two years of getting paid while doing very little and having no oversight. It was glorious. Will probably look back on them as the best years of my life.

I had so much free time I took a break from reading books and started playing video games while my girlfriend was at work. That pirate game was fun. Video games have improved a bit since the Nintendo I had as a kid.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

The Stroker Ace posted:

I’m usually really good at finding this stuff but the one thing that I’ve been trying to find forever is an animated sci-fi movie that aired on either Nickelodeon or maybe USA some in like 86-89, Saturday afternoon movie type of thing. It was probably a westernized anime, sadly the only thing I remember is that there’s like a futuristic space planet where the story takes place and at the very end it’s revealed that (I think) on the other side of the star that the planet revolves around is a like mirror image world, but everything is organic. Like there’s a R2D2 droid guy, but on the other world he’s completely made of wood. It might not have been planets, it might have been realities. I just remember them coming face to face with the different versions of themselves.

That’s all I have, and it’s been driving me crazy for years.

Are you 100% sure it was animated? There was a weird sci-fi show basically aping Dr. Who during that time (The Tomorrow People).

Also, it may be actual anime - Nickelodeon ran tons of Japanese stuff back in the day. This sounds pretty cool and findably distinct, but no luck so far...

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
And older (maybe YouTube?) video of a chubby white kid, not wearing a shirt and wearing fairy wings, lecturing the camera webcam vlog style about how terrible marijuana is. I specifically remember him saying if you smoke weed you'll grow a second dick, but it won't work.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

The Stroker Ace posted:

Thats all I have, and its been driving me crazy for years.
Sounds like parts of Ulysses 31 and Jayce and The Wheeled Warriors.

The Stroker Ace
Feb 7, 2007

Teketeketeketeke posted:

Are you 100% sure it was animated? There was a weird sci-fi show basically aping Dr. Who during that time (The Tomorrow People).

Also, it may be actual anime - Nickelodeon ran tons of Japanese stuff back in the day. This sounds pretty cool and findably distinct, but no luck so far...

Definitely animated, I wish I could remember like one more thing about it. Thanks!

FilthyImp posted:

Sounds like parts of Ulysses 31 and Jayce and The Wheeled Warriors.

Doesnt look like Ulysses 31 (which I was unaware of and looks cool) and I was for some reason obsessed with Wheeled Warriors so I remember a decent amount of it, thanks anyway!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
drat. The only other Nick shows I can think of along those lines would be Mysterious Cities of Gold (too popular) and Spartakus and the Sun Beneath the Sea (no robot pal). I really hope someone figures it out, I love old TV anime.

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

ain't no law says a skeleton can't play the blues
Several old Youtube videos made by (I assume) a teenage girl and her friend where they would do comedy dubs of Japanese commercials. It was the most infantile humour imaginable, everything was about dicks, vaginas, or being gay. The first one I remember was a dub of a Pretz ad with the lyrics:

'Suck those fuckin' dicks like hey! ah-ah
yummy fuckin' dicks like hey! ah-ah'

That's all I remember. Here's the original ad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYsFmMrxztc

There was another one that was a dub of this Vodaphone ad, the only thing I remember about it being that they called it 'Vaginaphone' instead of Vodaphone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr0HPFJC-HU

This was a long time ago, Youtube was still pretty new so I would guess the channel was active around '07 or '08?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Anyone have a link to an old thread where the OP asked people to ask him questions and he'd reply as Vin Scully? Guy did a drat good impression.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Way back when super mario world sprite animations were the hottest poo poo on Newgrounds, someone made one about Luigi going into a TV or a video game and it was edgy as gently caress set to Numb by Linkin Park. The ending was that Luigi was trapped inside the TV forever or something and it tried to be real emotional with Luigi's sprite looking sad. My fiance and I were talking about ancient internet poo poo and he mentioned that was the first thing he saw online, I just remember it enough to know what he meant but not to find it :negative:

He also said Moskau was too old of a meme for him to have been around for which made me feel like :ohno:

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Danaru posted:

He also said Moskau was too old of a meme for him to have been around for which made me feel like :ohno:

Jesus Christ Epstein keep your hands out of the cradle

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Posting on behalf of a friend with an unidentifiable earworm, will probably ask the NMD thread too. The most significant he can recall is that it's a hard rock/modern metal song where the chorus tune is nearly identical to that of "Bad Romance." I can vaguely recall listening to a song like that as well, so I know he's not imagining it. The other things he can remember are that the singer sounded a bit whiny, and he thinks the band usually plays much heavier songs than the one stuck in his head. He might've heard it on the radio a couple of years back (central West Virginia), but he's not certain, and he thinks it might've been about a girl or a break-up but he's also not sure of that, either.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

grellgraxer posted:

The rapper's name was Chrisman, I also liked "Chill This Summer". Here you can see his track list, but I can't find any video or audio.

https://www.last.fm/music/Chrisman/+tracks?date_preset=ALL

Thank you, I'm glad I didn't dream this and then convince myself it was real.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Does anyone know the name of the song Davie504 plays to the spaghetti?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucn23pd67Go&t=194s

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Batterypowered7 posted:

Does anyone know the name of the song Davie504 plays to the spaghetti?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucn23pd67Go&t=194s

Spider-Man 2: The Game Pizza Theme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SleepySonata
Mar 3, 2010
A gangbang