Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Just once in draft I wanna cast both this and that RB knight from the last page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I know the curve is terrible and all wrong and it wont fit
but turning astrolabe into a cantripping bolt that fixes mana in a greedy 4c pile just REALLY turns me on

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

pyro reads to me as a sideboard card, but a fairly effective one

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
im not really seeing it as a sideboard card? to me you usually want to sb in like legion warbosses or other threats that dont play into your existing strategy in the case of like a narset or w/e.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Mainboard four of them and cuss on Reddit a bunch when you can't draw Opt after casting all four.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

henge is worth buying a couple if only because a lot of green commander decks are going to want one and they'll probably spike after a couple years.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Retromancer posted:

henge is worth buying a couple if only because a lot of green commander decks are going to want one and they'll probably spike after a couple years.

It has all the makings of a card that isn't going to pre-order cheap even if its bad.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Doesn’t die to Bolt

Turns your Ponders into Bolts

Turns your EoT Brainstorms into also Bolts

hell, just cast it and then cycle a street wraith

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Sampatrick posted:

im not really seeing it as a sideboard card? to me you usually want to sb in like legion warbosses or other threats that dont play into your existing strategy in the case of like a narset or w/e.

I was thinking of it as a thing you bring in as a slower deck against something with small creatures and use to dominate the board. I buy it as a md threat in a delver-type deck too I suppose though

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Sickening posted:

It has all the makings of a card that isn't going to pre-order cheap even if its bad.

Yeah. It costs a million mana, and then has an amazing best case scenario.

The black one is really bad but would be okay in my edh deck, but it's 6 dollars because other people want to put it into their edh deck where it would perform very poorly. I swear if it just cost 2 mana, edh players wouldn't want it.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 18, 2019

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
idk if its play designs influence, but I feel like the past few sets have had a lot more cards that are like "huh I want to make this work" rather than being either obviously pushed for constructed/mediocre for limited.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

code:
"Gingerbread House"
Land Forest
(T: Add G.)

Gingerbread House enters the battlefield tapped unless you control three or more forests.

When Gingerbread House enters the battlefield untapped, create a food token.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Something must be broken with this to make it Mythic because it just looks like two common cards put together.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Tainen posted:

Something must be broken with this to make it Mythic because it just looks like two common cards put together.

stapling two okay cards together makes an amazing card. Also, a 3/1 flash flyer for 3 wouldn't be a good idea to put at common.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It's a nutso strong card but it sure feels wrong at mythic.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Can't believe those goofs at wizards managed to typo the expansion symbol.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

love too see boring rear end pushed mythics that are mythic purely for power level reasons. card will obviously be a standard staple if a remotely reasonable shell exists for it.

henge on the other hand is cool as hell and probably the best of the cycle. turn 1 grazer turn 2 regisaur turn 3 henge and immediately make a 7/7 ferox, gain two life and draw a card, lol

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

yeah it reminds me a lot of Nimble Obstructionist, except that's a rare

in fact when I first looked at it I just automatically assumed it was rare until someone pointed it out

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I guess the idea is that it's a fine bounce spell that threatens attackers for free? It could help you stabilize, and maybe there's a tempo deck that wants that.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe

Tainen posted:

Yea agreed. I thought it was a rare until I saw your comment making me double-check. It's certainly a good card that'll go in constructed decks (simic flash especially). The ability to end-step bounce a creature, play a creature and swing for a bunch of damage on your turn is great (activates brine-born twice too). It just doesn't have a "mythic" feel and splashiness.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Dr. Stab posted:

stapling two okay cards together makes an amazing card. Also, a 3/1 flash flyer for 3 wouldn't be a good idea to put at common.

It'd be fine actually, especially if it can't block non-fliers. They've done 2/2 flash flying for 3 with upside, as well as 2/3, 3/2, and 3/1, the latter with upside, flash flying for 4 at common, all in mono blue.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
maybe its so annoying to play against they decided to keep it off of kitchen tables.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

mossyfisk posted:

I guess the idea is that it's a fine bounce spell that threatens attackers for free? It could help you stabilize, and maybe there's a tempo deck that wants that.

It goes into Simic Flash real easy but that's still a rare card at best.

This stinks of "had to bail out on a broken Mythic late in testing so shoved this out the door" like that one lifegain mythic from Dark Ascension.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Lone Goat posted:

It'd be fine actually, especially if it can't block non-fliers. They've done 2/2 flash flying for 3 with upside, as well as 2/3, 3/2, and 3/1, the latter with upside, flash flying for 4 at common, all in mono blue.

the other thing is that the most dangerous thing about flash creatures is generally that they can 1 for 0 you and a 3/1 is never going to do that

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Its mythic because its a playable Faerie that will sell packs.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
its mythic because its a brazen money grab

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
It Mythic because they know you have extra Mythic wildcards since rare ones are in more demand. Thanks WOTC!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Tainen posted:

It Mythic because they know you have extra Mythic wildcards since rare ones are in more demand. Thanks WOTC!

Good point. If its not playable in modern I would rather a card be mythic for arena.

Playing paper standard is a special kind of dumb these days.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Elyv posted:

code:
"Gingerbread House"
Land Forest
(T: Add G.)

Gingerbread House enters the battlefield tapped unless you control three or more forests.

When Gingerbread House enters the battlefield untapped, create a food token.

Still struggling to envision what a good food deck looks like. I didn't play during energy but as a redesigned energy it seems both more expensive than energy and with pretty mediocre payoffs. Oko is by far the strongest synergy but that's not even food specific.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Magic Underwear posted:

Only the first cantrip on your turn. It's not enough by itself, maybe in a Phoenix deck though, is it better than the three mana drake?

Think about the Chemister's on opponent turn value

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Magic Underwear posted:

Still struggling to envision what a good food deck looks like. I didn't play during energy but as a redesigned energy it seems both more expensive than energy and with pretty mediocre payoffs. Oko is by far the strongest synergy but that's not even food specific.

Energy was a busted, parasitic, unfun, resource translation mechanic so this is a good thing imo.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Tainen posted:

They really are the good guys looking out for the little guy.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Magic Underwear posted:

it's worth remembering at the end of the day food is also straight-up just a bunch of artifact tokens and there's already a bunch of ways in today's standard to make use of that

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I think outside of Brainstorm (so literally only Legacy) Irencrag Pyromancer is very close to 2R 0/4 with T: deal 3 to any target. Is that busted? Not really, but it's a very good value card. That said it's not really the kind of card control decks or aggro decks really want, so it's hard to say if it'll fit into anything.

And I can't imagine a card with that text is modern playable.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Magic Underwear posted:

gotta wait for the 3 mana 2/3 that etb makes a food and then sacs food for 1/1 fliers

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Ultima66 posted:

I think outside of Brainstorm (so literally only Legacy) Irencrag Pyromancer is very close to 2R 0/4 with T: deal 3 to any target. Is that busted? Not really, but it's a very good value card. That said it's not really the kind of card control decks or aggro decks really want, so it's hard to say if it'll fit into anything.

And I can't imagine a card with that text is modern playable.

That would indeed be extremely good lmao

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'm going to enjoy watching someone play the G/B food deck on youtube or twitch but I don't think I'll be playing it myself.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
That faerie is a clear power-level mythic. It's straight busted and will be a format staple until it rotates. Also utterly stupid in draft

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
i do not think that faerie will be busted but it will be a solid roleplayer in the simic flash/mono u decks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

sit on my Facebook posted:

That faerie is a clear power-level mythic. It's straight busted and will be a format staple until it rotates. Also utterly stupid in draft

Riftwing Cloudskate was uncommon and this comparative to that.

I guess Dream Eater is the next closest at mythic but it's a much better blocker.