Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nazattack
Oct 21, 2008

Moey posted:

Yeah, my biggest gripe is dumping over 100tb of storage that still meets our performance requirements. Never had any issues with Nimble even after the HPE buyout, other than than hardware getting retired. It is understandable though.

I never looked at the depth of the newer "Gen 5" hardware, but will have to check it out. From my research it's super similar to the old Nimble Supermicro stuff. Shared backplane between two blades in the back.

I may be world wide top 10 for killing HPE servers. It's a good feeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Bob Morales posted:

Tried this, and it was about 30-40% cheaper depending on how you run the numbers.

The problem is, they twisted it by saying "well we only replace 1/4 of the servers every year so we can't spend that much". I suggested incremental upgrades as money came in and replacements were needed.

Then they said "well more servers are bettar" so I just quit bugging them about it becuase it just got ignored.

You have to be vigilant and you have to keep the numbers at the ready. I have a report I call "the waste report". These are all the cost savings actions I recommend to our infrastructure that get caught up in inter-departmental battles.

Lets say a dev group has some pet servers that are oversized and/or over licensed. If I put a change in motion to fix the issue and bring costs down to what its suppose to be and I get pushback, the money we waste in the delay is logged. That way when we have meetings later to revisit it, I can recap with "We have spent $$$ more than we needed to since the last time we talked.". Its drat effective over time. Its even more effective when I tie in people in the chain whose entire bonus structure is tied around cost savings. Its coming up to a year and nobody has won this battle with me in the end.

It does have another weird side to it though and its pretty political. Our finance EVP wants to be my best friend. I have pulled money out of thin air for her and she has shifted to rely heavily on me to meet her bonus milestones. This leads to some unethical behavior. For example, she has delayed some projects herself in order for the costs savings for those projects to show up in later quarters so she hits her bonuses. IE, the company is going to spend money it doesn't need to in the interim so she can show space out costs savings to make her more $$$.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

I think part of the idea is you don't want to hire someone with a bad back or bum knee or hidden defect like a hernia.

It's liability. In general terms a company is going to be fine hiring someone with a bad knee, but what they don't want is someone with a bad knee to show up and claim the bad knee is a result of an injury they got on the job. If they got records showing they had the bad knee before showing up they can tell them to pound sand.

Obviously for jobs that actually need some degree of fitness to perform a physical might actually be necessary to make sure they can do the job.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Sickening posted:

You have to be vigilant and you have to keep the numbers at the ready. I have a report I call "the waste report". These are all the cost savings actions I recommend to our infrastructure that get caught up in inter-departmental battles.

Lets say a dev group has some pet servers that are oversized and/or over licensed. If I put a change in motion to fix the issue and bring costs down to what its suppose to be and I get pushback, the money we waste in the delay is logged. That way when we have meetings later to revisit it, I can recap with "We have spent $$$ more than we needed to since the last time we talked.". Its drat effective over time. Its even more effective when I tie in people in the chain whose entire bonus structure is tied around cost savings. Its coming up to a year and nobody has won this battle with me in the end.

It does have another weird side to it though and its pretty political. Our finance EVP wants to be my best friend. I have pulled money out of thin air for her and she has shifted to rely heavily on me to meet her bonus milestones. This leads to some unethical behavior. For example, she has delayed some projects herself in order for the costs savings for those projects to show up in later quarters so she hits her bonuses. IE, the company is going to spend money it doesn't need to in the interim so she can show space out costs savings to make her more $$$.

My plan B is introduce myself to non-IT management and usurp the department

Problem is my boss is a guy that was "good with computers" in 1992 so he's irreplaceable

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Problem is my boss is a guy that was "good with computers" in 1992 so he's irreplaceable

God willing someone will say this about me in twenty years

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've been "good with computers" since 1997 and am perfectly happy to throw out old poo poo and implement new poo poo whenever a better idea comes along. Trying out new tech is the only source of joy in this miserable industry.

Darn olds getting stuck in their rut. :argh:

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Here it's required by law to get one when you get/change a job. Doctor just checks if you are physically able to perform the job and stamps it it with a yes/no. No medical data beyond that is shared with the employer.

But we have noticed an increase in US style background checks for jobs in the EU. I'm not a fan of them.

Is that a big problem? How often do places hire someone and then find out they aren't physically capable? If you fraudulently start a job you can't do, are you protected?

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

porkface posted:

Is that a big problem? How often do places hire someone and then find out they aren't physically capable? If you fraudulently start a job you can't do, are you protected?

Honestly, I don't know much beyond that. Since you have a 3 month probationary period, they can get rid of you with or without any reason and one would assume it shows well within 3 months if you can physically can't perform.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Weedle posted:

God willing someone will say this about me in twenty years

I live in constant fear of this. My identity is staked in being able to connect computer cables and get about inside the most basic consumer operating systems without help or grief.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Re: physical exams.

Employers legally cannot require a prospective employee to submit to a physical exam, nor are prospective employees required to disclose disabilities or medical issues of any kind, until after a job offer has been formally extended. If at such time the employee reveals that they have a disability or medical issue that would prevent them from performing tasks essential to the job, or if the nature of their disability would pose a significant risk to their own safety or that of other employees, the offer can be rescinded (or the employee terminated if they already started work).

porkface posted:

It isn't really a problem. People who live with disabilities or chronic medical issues are generally not in the business of wasting time applying to jobs they know they can't do. If, however, someone did go through the whole hiring process, accept the offer, and start work, and it was then revealed that they had a disability preventing them from carrying out their essential duties, their firing would be considered "job-related and consistent with business necessity," and thus legal.

Basically the law tries to strike a balance between the dignity and privacy of people with disabilities and the realistic needs of employers whose business requires physical labor. Applicants aren't expected to spill the beans about whatever their deal is unless it's directly relevant to the position they're applying for and the employer is otherwise prepared to hire them.

Flail Snail
Jul 30, 2019

Collector of the Obscure
Dumb rant. Don't read. Made me feel better, though.

I'm currently on a team of two based in my company's US office. It's technically a US company but we're doing our damnedest to hide that. The rest of development consists of 30-odd people in the rough vicinity of Switzerland. We're all titled "senior". I don't think the rest of the dev team knew what they were getting into when they gave the okay to hire us.

Our product is a mess. Depending on where you enter its tree of submenus, you may be able to get five or six layers deep before you find the thing you're looking for. My team tries to lay things out fairly logically (or as logically as we can given what we're working with) but doing anything to increase discoverability is seen as impacting the number of features we can deliver. Most of the core teams are content with merely adding features, not really caring that a feature that 1. isn't discoverable, 2. the support department doesn't know about, and/or 3. is flaky at best is not a good use of resources.

Our branching system is a mess and rebasing is verboten once the other teams get involved. Master isn't. It's the web team's playground and is a good 4.x thousand commits ahead of the most recent version branch. At least two people spend multiple hours a sprint dealing with merge conflicts between some undefined number of branches. My team is still not sure which branch our massive (and growing) "feature branch" should get merged to because people would rather pretend we don't exist.

Our suggestions get ignored. And I'm talking immediately actionable suggestions. poo poo like "maybe don't 'kill -9' postgres every time it doesn't reboot in a few seconds, because half of our customers have some level of database corruption now" and "here's a well thought out presentation on how not to be loving stupid with branches." Those were met, respectively, with "that sounds hard" and "maybe next year." We've discovered through the QA department that "next year" means "maybe they'll forget about it."

Several of our features work in theory. By that, I mean we assume they work until a customer tells us otherwise. And then we blame Apple and then fix an Apple bug. Something like deploying an EAP config might just not work because asking our tech people to set one up to test with was a :catdrugs: thought. They were utterly flummoxed that my team wasn't quite willing to just go "yep, matches the spec; let us know when it breaks".

Our product is self-hosted so we've got people on versions that are years old. And all in-use versions are supported. We deploy bugfixes by way of generating a special build per customer. This takes care of about half of our product. The other half gets bugfixes manually applied using some combination of git diff patch files and replacing .pyc files. Determining what fixes might be applied is impossible because no one keeps track. Determining what patches to apply involves connecting via TeamViewer and digging through log files until our collective knowledge points out the issue because no one outside of my team thinks playbooks hold any value.

The core team is big on "fairness" and "ownership". Fairness means support duty round robins between the three teams - [15 bodies, 15 bodies, 2 bodies]. Actually, that's sort of a lie. Those two teams put their least valuable devs on support duty every time, for some value of "least valuable". And ownership means buying beers for the rest of the teams any time someone fingerpoints you as the one who may have last touched something that might have broken.

And they want to spin up a 30-dev office in another country, presumably running off of these same practices, while decreasing QA throughput by 25%. :suicide:

The CEO and CTO jointly decided that the other dev teams don't get to do development anymore until the product is no longer a flaky buggy mess. I gave my supervisor an ultimatum and am exempt from that for the time being. I'm all for being a team player but you don't get to create this mess and then poo poo on me until I fix it for you.

The interview process continues. This is not a healthy environment for any involved.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I'm tasked with upgrading users to Win10. As we're a tiny company of 200 people, I don't have time to learn stuff like MDT unless it works fairly quickly. User can't use super WinXP-aged program but can do the same tasks on the newer version which she never bothered to learn because "lol i'm not good with computers" mentality. Now, old program is hosed and she's complaining about the new version that's been around for over 1 year +. :rolleyes:

It's not my problem you refused to learn the system. We have a training department. Have a good one. I'm not gonna break my back fixing an app that is EOL.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

fwiw, the out of the box task sequences in MDT work fine for 80% of the use cases and shouldn't take more than an hour to set up if you have a sane infrastructure

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
If you are upgrading +-200 people to win10 manually. You have time to learn and use MDT.
Not only would it save you loads of time. you will also be learning new stuff.

The Fool posted:

fwiw, the out of the box task sequences in MDT work fine for 80% of the use cases and shouldn't take more than an hour to set up if you have a sane infrastructure

Also this

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

The Fool posted:

There’s some bug with it where Defender is killing the script before it can start. I’ve tried disabling it but that either doesn’t run or runs too late from all the spots I’ve tried in post-install.

Otherwise, it’s a good idea but I have till December 1st to migrate or lose a bonus so :(

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
The other director brought on a crew of temps and one of them is young and attractive and I'm about to come down like a bag of hammers on the jackasses who won't leave her alone I AM NOT RUNNING A GODDAMN FRAT HOUSE

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

tactlessbastard posted:

The other director brought on a crew of temps and one of them is young and attractive and I'm about to come down like a bag of hammers on the jackasses who won't leave her alone I AM NOT RUNNING A GODDAMN FRAT HOUSE

How is this still a thing?

Even 20 years ago, we know not to do poo poo like that. But these days? With everything happening in the news right now?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We have a hard-on for buying DUAL XEONS. 16 cores for everyone! 48 cores! SERVARS!

Meanwhite we spec them with 256GB boot SSD and 4TB SATA spinners. Both in mirrored RAID.

Our CPU graphs look like this:

I just write a futile email to my boss suggesting we drop the second CPU and:
1. Buy more RAM if the server needs it
2. Buy more SSD
3. Buy a way faster base clock single CPU
4. Buy higher clock 8 core CPU's if they absolutely need to buy a dual cpu server
5. Pocket the extra $1500 from not buying the second Xeon Gold 2342342342

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I just couldn't imagine buying Ubiquiti kit in a situation where I needed 97 switches, drat

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Over the course of the summer I experienced heartbreak at buying my Archer A7 literally 6 hours before the UniFi Dream Machine came back into stock on the beta store and then joy after the new support site launched and it all went a bit clown shoes.

A real :smith:-to-:unsmith: rollercoaster.

I still might get a UDM because it "checks a lot of boxes" (as the kids say these days) but goddamn am I exercising the Apple rule on it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've been pulling some coax cable around the house to sort my TV reception out (the channels on the mux with the highest frequency are getting tons of bit errors and I've ruled out pretty much everything except the poo poo 1980s cable with very little shielding), and just threw all the twist-on F connectors in the bin in favour of a reasonably cheap Ideal compression tool and decent compression connectors (which still only cost 60p each). Holy poo poo it's like night and day - I wouldn't say it makes the job enjoyable, but it makes it a lot more bearable.

Proper tools, all the time.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

"They" are going to do an experiment by removing one cpu from a server and "seeing if it runs any faster"

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Bob Morales posted:

"They" are going to do an experiment by removing one cpu from a server and "seeing if it runs any faster"

'no improvement Bob, you were wrong. We're going to have to keep buying the second cpu to make sure it doesn't get slower over time.

Next time don't bring up your smartass ideas'

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
What all of us really want to know, Bob: what's the carb situation like at the new gig?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Judge Schnoopy posted:

'no improvement Bob, you were wrong. We're going to have to keep buying the second cpu to make sure it doesn't get slower over time.

Next time don't bring up your smartass ideas'

We have a whole vending machine area. Has frozen poo poo like ice creams and hot pockets and everything.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Bob Morales posted:

vCPU? Got contention issues?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Moey posted:

vCPU? Got contention issues?
Are you trolling me!?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

We have a whole vending machine area. Has frozen poo poo like ice creams and hot pockets and everything.

I mean... everything else you're saying is completely insane, but overall, sounds like an upgrade.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Thanatosian posted:

I mean... everything else you're saying is completely insane, but overall, sounds like an upgrade.
All I know is I'm never further than 150 feet from a choco taco

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Are these choco tacos free-to-you or do you have to pay directly for them?

This is crucial.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Schadenboner posted:

This is crucial.

Yeah. I can just go to the store and buy whatever I want, I don't see what's exciting about a vending machine.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Ghostnuke posted:

Yeah. I can just go to the store and buy whatever I want, I don't see what's exciting about a vending machine.

Yeah, but a free and stable supply of chocos taco would be p.deece as a perq?

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

well yeah, free is a game changer

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Ghostnuke posted:

well yeah, free is a game changer
/

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Schadenboner posted:

Are these choco tacos free-to-you or do you have to pay directly for them?

This is crucial.

Best for my wallet if they're free.

Best for my waistline and heart if I have to pay for them. I'm not sure I would survive free choco tacos. I mean, I would die happy...

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
god drat I can't even.

I got a request to come 'help everyone figure out their phone problems in person' from $DepartmentDirector
My boss was CC'd and so was the $DeptDirector's entire dept.
My boss went apeshit asking me how we could have so many problems and who is down and what the issue is and so on...
I said I have no idea, I thought everyone was good except the people that don't have new phone numbers yet, but we're VERY aware of that already.

So I obliged. I asked that everyone please briefly tell me what the problem is so I can fix what needs to be fixed on my end before coming over.
Nobody replied.
Like, at all.
Not even after 3 requests for information.
So at my boss' request I went over there to find out what the gently caress was going on.
Nobody I talked to seemed to be having any problems except that they didn't know how to set up their voicemail, so I told each and every one of them individually to please read the email that I sent them and follow the 2 steps that are in there for setting it up.
I doubled back after talking to everyone and nobody seemed to have any problems so I said IDFK to $DeptDirector and got the gently caress out of there.

Well... loving $DeptDirector decided to send me kudos today and cc my bosses and their bosses and his entire department and now my boss is having a nuclear meltdown and asking me why I went over there in the first place (forgetting it was at his request I guess?)

Now I have to write a long rear end email to everyone on that chain explaining that there were no problems, and I did literally nothing but waste everyone's time including my own, and how they're wasting resources and how this isn't proper protocol and blah blah blah...
I'm sure if I get a reply then my boss is going to have me double down and escalate the issue to some sort of inter-departmental committee meeting where we waste a shitton of time to explain to them how this is all a giant waste of time.
I can't wait.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
That sucks man, sorry that your boss is a goldfish.

We've been having similar change-related meltdowns here because we've moved all of our part-timers away from using shared, function/role based logins to personal logins and delegated mailboxes. It sucks because the supervisors are really bad at communicating these changes to their staff so we get a lot of "NOTHING IS WORKING FOR ANYONE" tickets that turn out to be one person who didn't read the instructions, one person with a legitimate issue* and most of the department having no issues.

*Something is fucky so people aren't being issued O365 licenses like they should be, so I have to bounce the ticket. Happening way too often, pissing me off.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

The sane move is to not answer and let it blow over.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Virigoth posted:

The sane move is to not answer and let it blow over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Flail Snail posted:

Dumb rant. Don't read. Made me feel better, though.

I'm currently on a team of two based in my company's US office. It's technically a US company but we're doing our damnedest to hide that. The rest of development consists of 30-odd people in the rough vicinity of Switzerland. We're all titled "senior". I don't think the rest of the dev team knew what they were getting into when they gave the okay to hire us.

Our product is a mess. Depending on where you enter its tree of submenus, you may be able to get five or six layers deep before you find the thing you're looking for. My team tries to lay things out fairly logically (or as logically as we can given what we're working with) but doing anything to increase discoverability is seen as impacting the number of features we can deliver. Most of the core teams are content with merely adding features, not really caring that a feature that 1. isn't discoverable, 2. the support department doesn't know about, and/or 3. is flaky at best is not a good use of resources.

Our branching system is a mess and rebasing is verboten once the other teams get involved. Master isn't. It's the web team's playground and is a good 4.x thousand commits ahead of the most recent version branch. At least two people spend multiple hours a sprint dealing with merge conflicts between some undefined number of branches. My team is still not sure which branch our massive (and growing) "feature branch" should get merged to because people would rather pretend we don't exist.

Our suggestions get ignored. And I'm talking immediately actionable suggestions. poo poo like "maybe don't 'kill -9' postgres every time it doesn't reboot in a few seconds, because half of our customers have some level of database corruption now" and "here's a well thought out presentation on how not to be loving stupid with branches." Those were met, respectively, with "that sounds hard" and "maybe next year." We've discovered through the QA department that "next year" means "maybe they'll forget about it."

Several of our features work in theory. By that, I mean we assume they work until a customer tells us otherwise. And then we blame Apple and then fix an Apple bug. Something like deploying an EAP config might just not work because asking our tech people to set one up to test with was a :catdrugs: thought. They were utterly flummoxed that my team wasn't quite willing to just go "yep, matches the spec; let us know when it breaks".

Our product is self-hosted so we've got people on versions that are years old. And all in-use versions are supported. We deploy bugfixes by way of generating a special build per customer. This takes care of about half of our product. The other half gets bugfixes manually applied using some combination of git diff patch files and replacing .pyc files. Determining what fixes might be applied is impossible because no one keeps track. Determining what patches to apply involves connecting via TeamViewer and digging through log files until our collective knowledge points out the issue because no one outside of my team thinks playbooks hold any value.

The core team is big on "fairness" and "ownership". Fairness means support duty round robins between the three teams - [15 bodies, 15 bodies, 2 bodies]. Actually, that's sort of a lie. Those two teams put their least valuable devs on support duty every time, for some value of "least valuable". And ownership means buying beers for the rest of the teams any time someone fingerpoints you as the one who may have last touched something that might have broken.

And they want to spin up a 30-dev office in another country, presumably running off of these same practices, while decreasing QA throughput by 25%. :suicide:

The CEO and CTO jointly decided that the other dev teams don't get to do development anymore until the product is no longer a flaky buggy mess. I gave my supervisor an ultimatum and am exempt from that for the time being. I'm all for being a team player but you don't get to create this mess and then poo poo on me until I fix it for you.

The interview process continues. This is not a healthy environment for any involved.

Oracle?