Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
Tekken 2 Kazuya just EWGF if you did anything with more than 15 frames. But atleast when you beat him he gets thrown in a volcano, well not in the arcade version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Put off playing ranked with my main and comain for like two months just to try out like 15 other characters. Kept playing them in player matches though. Decided to hop back into ranked about two days ago.

I stormed through yellows, felt really good. Negan's buffs were awesome this season. This is my first FG and the feeling of having your low tier main get big buffs (to midtier) feels great. I'm sure people read the notes but aside from Negans stance getting better and his two new very useful transitions to it he got two new launchers which is huge. I thought his ff 1+2 launch woulda been whatever because I rarely used the normal version before but it is very very good now. Safe 74 damage launcher that covers a really huge amount of distance. Great to throw out sparingly to check people about to come in at distance.

Eddy feels exactly the same. his ss2 buff is nice and the new 12 frame punish is ok but the forced stance from it is kinda annoying. I need to check Kazumi to see how she fared. People were calling her changes a big nerf but the new transitions she got I think made it a tweak instead of a nerf.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Kazuya is the most badass feeling char to play in this game now. Triple electric BnB and ewgf off every launcher for gently caress off damage. It's almost worth Hei losing his identity.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm not going to get used to seeing custom costumes in tournaments any time soon

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Meanwhile Im stuck in Expert rank with my Heihachi lol.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
I really need to play more Lucky Chloe, just based on how much I can upset my friends with her

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
She's my favorite character to play. I'm not good enough to judge how good the move is but I love the new backstance 2.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
wun too

double

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Having a lot of fun with Josie, hit em with the tipis

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

So I put off using binds until now because 1- I couldn't really be bothered 2- I didn't look into how to do it 3- I thought it would hurt me learning execution. I'm 100% sure it helped my execution ignoring them as Ive gotten really good at multi button moves combos etc. but wow I didn't know how useful they could be. Discovering binds however has made me completely lose respect for 99% of king players and players who use chain throws in general. I had no Idea you could mash a ki charge binded button for a huge damage chain throw. Chain throw mechanics are really lame imo given the execution vs reward factor. I experimented with anna binding 1+2 to one button and ki charge to the other and its literally qcf and hit the first button then tap the second three times, wait, then tap the second again 4 times (honestly you can mash at this point) for a guaranteed 68 or 70 damage throw everytime provided they don't break. Really dumb but I'm late to the party on that observation. Going forward I'll definitely use some select binds (like 2+3 for kazumis rolling tiger) but I kinda can't help but feel they're cheap.

Oh TT2 is out free if you have xbox gold. Its fun but weird. There are a lot of lovely and dumb characters so I find it retrospectively funny when people said things like "negan doesnt fit in with tekken". I played around with a bunch of characters I've never seen before in training mode and if I had a wish for one of them to return for t7 it would definitely be Kunimitsu. Crazy to see how many more stages and features the game had compared to t7.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

They aren't cheap because two button inputs are very difficult without button buffering and rumoured to be bugged.

As for chain throws, well, you can just button buffer them. The bind doesn't really matter. Not like they're difficult to do manually anyway.

Or maybe they are cheap but being cheap owns.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Plus if they jam on all 4 buttons for a chain grab it's always the same one so learn the escapes.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Medullah posted:

Plus if they jam on all 4 buttons for a chain grab it's always the same one so learn the escapes.

Don't tell people that, they'll beat me.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010

Seltzer posted:

So I put off using binds until now because 1- I couldn't really be bothered 2- I didn't look into how to do it 3- I thought it would hurt me learning execution. I'm 100% sure it helped my execution ignoring them as Ive gotten really good at multi button moves combos etc. but wow I didn't know how useful they could be. Discovering binds however has made me completely lose respect for 99% of king players and players who use chain throws in general. I had no Idea you could mash a ki charge binded button for a huge damage chain throw. Chain throw mechanics are really lame imo given the execution vs reward factor. I experimented with anna binding 1+2 to one button and ki charge to the other and its literally qcf and hit the first button then tap the second three times, wait, then tap the second again 4 times (honestly you can mash at this point) for a guaranteed 68 or 70 damage throw everytime provided they don't break. Really dumb but I'm late to the party on that observation. Going forward I'll definitely use some select binds (like 2+3 for kazumis rolling tiger) but I kinda can't help but feel they're cheap.

Oh TT2 is out free if you have xbox gold. Its fun but weird. There are a lot of lovely and dumb characters so I find it retrospectively funny when people said things like "negan doesnt fit in with tekken". I played around with a bunch of characters I've never seen before in training mode and if I had a wish for one of them to return for t7 it would definitely be Kunimitsu. Crazy to see how many more stages and features the game had compared to t7.

Kunimitsu was in TTT1, she was fun.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Medullah posted:

But how would you know that unless you knew their binds. Also I think some chains are similar enough that multiple ki charges can generate a random throw even when input the same, I remember JCDR doing that with an AK set up that had a random throw. Even with Anna if I want a "mixup" i can do 4 ki taps then 4 vs 3 then 4 to guarantee a diff throw break.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(
I use button buffering because you can’t change binds at the arcade.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Button buffering is easy enough in this game that you don't need binds. If you just hold 1+2+3 during a throw animation or w/e and tapped 4 the game reads it as mashing ki charge. For example.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Pockyless posted:

I use button buffering because you can’t change binds at the arcade.

Are you in Japan?

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
I go and play often enough

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Pockyless posted:

I go and play often enough

I ask because every US cabinet setup I've seen has been just a PS4 in a box and so you can map buttons when you plug in a controller.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Wish you could button buffer in neutral, If I wanna do a f1+2 I have to throw a random throw to do it,

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
Can’t you just mask it in a jab?

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Seltzer posted:

But how would you know that unless you knew their binds. Also I think some chains are similar enough that multiple ki charges can generate a random throw even when input the same, I remember JCDR doing that with an AK set up that had a random throw. Even with Anna if I want a "mixup" i can do 4 ki taps then 4 vs 3 then 4 to guarantee a diff throw break.

Due to the way Tekken prioritizes button inputs when buffered/bound and the way chain throws are set up a Ki charge mash will always lead through the 1 break path. You can, as you said, mix the Ki charge with other inputs to direct the system to other paths, which is how the simplified chain throw charts were born. These are helpfulif you're just learning the chain throws, but once you learn those it's barely much more effort to learn the whole thing anyway really.

The JDCR throw mixup is a different beast and has to do with randomization during a wavedash into throw, it's mostly just a fun oddity though since all those throws look like 1+2 breaks (because Tekken) so they are a real mixup anyway. Outside of drugged up monsters who break throws on the first few frames of the actual throw animation.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Put the volume down very very low
https://clips.twitch.tv/MoldySilkySushiPanicVis

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
So I’m still slowly going through learning Tekken 7 and I think I’m going to stick with Julia. I love this woman and her elbows and suplexes (still trying to find what Bow and Arrow is, must be a legacy term because I don’t see it on that move list).

Also played rank this morning before work and got spooked because I was matched with an Initiate King with 4.5k wins. Thought I was going to get bodied but somehow won, lost some rounds because I need to lab escaping his grabs

My point is that this game must be tough as hell to be still down here in the newbie blue ranks despite playing 4,000+ matches

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Bow and arrow is "spinning sweep combo", df4,3 from crouching.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

MechaX posted:

So I’m still slowly going through learning Tekken 7 and I think I’m going to stick with Julia. I love this woman and her elbows and suplexes (still trying to find what Bow and Arrow is, must be a legacy term because I don’t see it on that move list).

Also played rank this morning before work and got spooked because I was matched with an Initiate King with 4.5k wins. Thought I was going to get bodied but somehow won, lost some rounds because I need to lab escaping his grabs

My point is that this game must be tough as hell to be still down here in the newbie blue ranks despite playing 4,000+ matches

This is definitely not the norm, especially with the rank inflation that was implemented in season 2. Either your opponent is pretty bad and skipped all of season 2, or they're catastrophically bad.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Or they're hacking, you can just change your rank and win record in Notepad iirc.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

MechaX posted:

Anyway greetings, Julia is amazing. Her simple full crouch mixup is a great go-to while you learn more about her options, if you get a knockdown near a wall just run up and crouch, you can either do bow and arrow (df4,3) to get another knockdown and another oki opportunity, or if they start actually blocking low on wakeup you can do ws3 which hits mid and wall splats. even outside of the wall it does good damage and lets you keep up the offense. theres lots of other options at different ranges, but, doing FC bullshit alone will carry you to yellow names.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

leroy when

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

He's already here, check your downloads

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I was watching Pokchop's stream and he said that Bandai wants Leroy in and legal by world championships (I have no verification on this and it seems like not nearly enough time to learn a character/how to beat them) and going off upcoming tournaments he estimated Leroy will be released the first week of November. No clue how much of that is true but :shrug: the sooner the better.

I've been playing Noctis since I picked the game up and decided to drop for a more "traditional" character that is more likely to transfer to a future Tekken and just to learn the game better so I picked up Marduk last night and already am having more fun than I ever had with Noctis. Amazing how this game keeps going up for me and hasn't stagnated in fun.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I'm doing really well eddy and its super fun. Once you actually know what you're doing with him and get your mixups and everything down he's just so fun. His neutral allows for tons of creativity and mind games. I really just like the flow of the character. I'm glad to have (hopefully) ended my searching for a main crisis while also learning someone who will be in future tekkens. I purposely avoided using his new player destroyer moves a buncg at the start and I think it was a smart decision. Now that I've got the basics down I throw in the cheese after establishing a solid game. You know a character is good when one of his moves is just a flip for no damage.

I've kept on playing TT2 in bits as a fun backup game. I still think Kunimitsu should get the nod for a return in the DLC. Ive been too lazy to learn characters that dont reappear in t7 though so im trash with her. I usually pick Eddy and a T7 character I want to get better with/figure out. I'll start with Zafina or someone like that and have Eddy as a backup if im getting rolled.

Also this seasons menu music is absolute trash

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Kunimitsu would be a great and interesting DLC inclusion but only if they make her watermelon bikini a default alt costume.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Like I said I've switched from Noctis to Marduk to better future proof my roster and have been having a ton of fun offline with him. The one thing I can't seem to get the hang of is VTS cancelling, I don't seem to have any forward momentum with it and just VTS then stand after and in combo videos it seems like they do DF VTS then pop back up but when I do this it always results in a WS3. Maybe I just need more time with the character or I need to bind 3+4.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Nazzadan posted:

Like I said I've switched from Noctis to Marduk to better future proof my roster and have been having a ton of fun offline with him. The one thing I can't seem to get the hang of is VTS cancelling, I don't seem to have any forward momentum with it and just VTS then stand after and in combo videos it seems like they do DF VTS then pop back up but when I do this it always results in a WS3. Maybe I just need more time with the character or I need to bind 3+4.

Of all the bullshit combos I've attempted to learn, its the most bullshit.

the $4 frame data poo poo storm is really much to do about nothing for me. Should it have been free? yea. Were they told had to cover costs if they wanted to introduce replays frame data and punishment training? Probably. It's like this - would you rather have the option to pay 4 dollars and get everything or skip paying and just use the free stuff or just never of had any of it in the first place. People are acting like this is some whole slippery slope argument when tekkens DLC has been super fairly priced/good and frequently on sale. Not to mention the frame data is included in S3 which I already bought. Seems like no one is using common sense for fear of being seen as a DLC/big corp defender.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Oct 31, 2019

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I'm so impatient for Leroy

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I think every single one of my Tekken playing friends have said they are going to main Leroy

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

leeroy is dope as gently caress why would you not main him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

What if he has 17 stances and just frames and he's a huge pain in the rear end to play