Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
When you're besieging a city with a neighborhood known as Mount Whoredom it's only natural.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Handsome Ralph posted:

So I'm indexing/reading orderly books/unit diaries from the Revolutionary War right now for Continental Army units.

Honestly, the only thing missing from these to make it sound like something out of the modern army is reports of soldiers spending their earnings on cars with 22% APR. Found one entry today where the officer of the day had to remind troops stationed around Boston to stop running around being drunk assholes and running around naked when off duty because it's making everyone look bad as well as pissing off the neighbors.

War. War never changes.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/N_Waters89/status/1174348098560233474?s=20

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Ah yes, the unique “delta wing” drone shape, only used by Iran.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

If Iran is a known supplier of arms to the Houthis, is it such a world-shaking revelation to find Iranian built-drone parts anyway?

I don't think we as a nation want to start pulling on the thread of "the weapons supplier is responsible for all acts of the weapon purchaser."

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Madurai posted:

If Iran is a known supplier of arms to the Houthis, is it such a world-shaking revelation to find Iranian built-drone parts anyway?

I don't think we as a nation want to start pulling on the thread of "the weapons supplier is responsible for all acts of the weapon purchaser."

Its bullshit, like everything else out of Saudi (and this bumboclaat administration)

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Its bullshit, like everything else out of Saudi (and this bumboclaat administration)

Oooh! New word for the day!

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

joat mon posted:

Oooh! New word for the day!

bad idea

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Educate me!

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I have a good 50mm but no way to lay this map out to grab it in sections. But, here's a decent shot of it. I'm going to go over it in detail and try to annotate it.

edit: is there a better thread for me to vomit this WWII stuff into also?

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 18, 2019

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
The military history thread in ask/tell is a good bet.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

So long as you post it here, too.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

For reference, my Grandpa is Ed or Edward, last name Yaps, it's not that consistent. Most of these captions are his, or my Grandmas, and are as written.

1 - Johnnie's first leave - October 1942 (johnnie Dreher, Art Ladd & Ed)
2 through 5 - Camp Maxey, Texas - Jan 1943
6 - In work clothes at Camp Maxey, Texas - Jan 1943
7 - Some fightin' lookin' soldiers? at Camp Maxey, Texas - Jan 1943

1 & 2 - George Stasky at Camp Maxey, Texas - Jan 1943
3 - Dunphy - the best time he had was while he was in the Army. - Always happy-go-lucky. At Camp Maxey, Texas - Jan 1943
4 & 5 - George Stasky at Camp Maxey, Texas - Jan 1943
6 - ?
7 - George at the park in Paris, Texas - March 1943
8 Thomas J. Dlugos - A/B Engs. Carthage, Mo - 1943
9 - ?

1 - Pvt. Howard Meyers at Norman, Oklahoma - Sept 1943
2- Looking down Mt. Scott into the valley. There is a big lake below but it is too far down to be recognized - 1943?
3 - Wichita Mts. Looking West from atop Mt. Scot - 1943?
4 - The other "G.I. Joe" is my sidekick. He is Bill Silvestri and he comes from the Bronx. - 1943?
5 - The bunch in Eddy's group at Camp Maxey, Texas - Jan 1943
6 - George & Million in the sloppy mud of Germany - Nov 1944
7 - Sgt Meachum piling dirt on our dugout in Germany. A hole we'll never forget. - Dec 1944

That's all I had time to scan in today, a bunch more tomorrow I hope. I also have a 10 mark note, his tiny adorable mini honorable discharge paperwork, and a bunch of draft paperwork and board notices which are kinda cool to see.

As suggested, I'm crossposting to the milhist thread (and the milpics thread)

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Awesome, please keep it up.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Anybody else see a huge cock and balls northeast of NEUTRAL?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Lots of pics in this thread

https://twitter.com/ralee85/status/1175908830015819777?s=21

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/ralee85/status/1175851460237639680?s=21

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Love the tree and shrubbery inconspicuously floating across the river

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Lots of pics in this thread

You missed the best
https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1175838428707119107?s=19

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Good enough reason to repost the best thing ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-YsSL65quM

The dude just cracking up and cheering in the background kills me every time. You can just hear the pure joy.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Has there ever been a zero-injury regimental-sized jump in any army?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

MrYenko posted:

Yeah, probably in the North Korean Army, because Glorious Leader packed all the parachutes Himself and if anyone died, it's because they weren't pure of thought and their hearts not full of pure Communist camaraderie. :commissar:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

That Works posted:

The dude just cracking up and cheering in the background kills me every time. You can just hear the pure joy.

There's pure joy because it was intentional sabotage. Dude got caught big time.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

EBB posted:

There's pure joy because it was intentional sabotage. Dude got caught big time.

Oh I know. But, was the dude laughing his rear end off the one that did it? I wasn't under that impression.

I know if I got to watch a couple humvees crater into an open field (knowing that no one was in them) I would be pretty loving amazed / amused.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

MrYenko posted:

10-15% injury rate on training jumps is the standard iirc

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

That Works posted:

Oh I know. But, was the dude laughing his rear end off the one that did it? I wasn't under that impression.

I know if I got to watch a couple humvees crater into an open field (knowing that no one was in them) I would be pretty loving amazed / amused.

Nah that was a different guy. Guy who got busted was a rigger who sabotaged lines specifically unchecked by inspectors/loadmasters during a JAI.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Nah that was a different guy. Guy who got busted was a rigger who sabotaged lines specifically unchecked by inspectors/loadmasters during a JAI.

They also hit the guy filming with some sort of reprimand for "unprofessional conduct" or something

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I dunno, for the, what, north of $100k that a military humvee costs, I feel like we could've gotten a much bigger spectacle by just aiming to produce a spectacle. At least send that thing to a monster truck rally and draw things out a bit.

...actually, now I'm curious what would happen if you drove over a military humvee in a monster truck.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They should at least put gas in them when they airdrop so if the parachute fails you still have a kinda cool bomb explosion.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

what would happen if you drove over a military humvee in a monster truck.

It becomes the opening slide in a powerpoint that leads to a trillion dollar procurement boondoggle?

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

soy posted:

They should at least put gas in them when they airdrop so if the parachute fails you still have a kinda cool bomb explosion.

Life is not a Michael Bay movie my dude

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Don't the russian airborne drop in their vehicles?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Yeah but that would be p cool

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yes, but nobody was riding in any of the vehicles they dropped for that jump.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Knowing Russian logic, I'm guessing the reasoning behind it is speed and "without the vehicle, the crew is useless anyway."

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

That's possible. It's like the philosophy of autoloaders in Russian tanks versus a human loader in US ones. Russian doctrine runs on mixed armor units so you likely have a BMP or BRD with dudes in it nearby, so it's not like you're down a man and the tank can shoot faster with machine loading. The downside is the crew can run through the ammo too quickly and autoloaders break/jam. On the US side, we have a human loader because they won't break mechanically (shhhh I can hear your thoughts shut the gently caress up), we can use rounds that come in one piece instead of several, and the loader is a spare body to drive or shoot if somebody gets hurt.

That's the book answer though, experience will vary.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
US doctrine doesn't have mechanized infantry tagging along?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

If you're running a heavy platoon then by the book no but really you're gonna want dismounts with your tanks for various reasons.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Auto loader is one less dude who can help replace tracks and stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

They've certainly rehearsed that, with those cool retrorocket additions to their chutes to soften the landings.

A Bad Poster posted:

Knowing Russian logic, I'm guessing the reasoning behind it is speed and "without the vehicle, the crew is useless anyway."

IIRC, there's a thread of Soviet-and-then-Russian thought that wants airborne forces to be able to drop in unsecure LZs and be ready for action instantly upon landing if necessary.