Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

doctorfrog posted:

Is Diceware still a decent way to get a good master password?

It's the best, if the dice are not loaded. Pick a 80+ bit entropy and you're done for life (or until you accidentally leak it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Mr.Radar posted:

Firefox is moving to a 4-week release cycle (from the current 6-8 week cycle) starting with Firefox 71.

Firefox: now breaking your poo poo, monthly.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

iospace posted:

Which plugin of the 9001 of them do you use?

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/keefox/

It also has a Chrome addon:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/kee-password-manager/mmhlniccooihdimnnjhamobppdhaolme

You need to follow these instructions to install it as it requires you to install an addon to KeePass to facilitate secure communication with the browser:
https://forum.kee.pm/t/installing-kee-with-keepassrpc-for-keepass-password-safe-instructions/23

After that, make sure you have the URL field filled out for your websites inside KeePass.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 17, 2019

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Firefox: now breaking your poo poo, monthly.
Yeah, that's pretty much spot on. I'm likely to be moving to ESR if this is as bad as it seems.

Thank gently caress I got the hardware to do a proper build server, because building firefox + rust + spidermonkey takes loving ages even on 16 threads and 96GB memory - even with (hw.ncpu*2)-1 threads plus build objects and everything else in memory (thanks to poudriere and tmpfs on FreeBSD which can easily handle double the number of threads for multithreaded building).

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 17, 2019

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Nalin posted:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/keefox/

It also has a Chrome addon:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/kee-password-manager/mmhlniccooihdimnnjhamobppdhaolme

You need to follow these instructions to install it as it requires you to install an addon to KeePass to facilitate secure communication with the browser:
https://forum.kee.pm/t/installing-kee-with-keepassrpc-for-keepass-password-safe-instructions/23

After that, make sure you have the URL field filled out for your websites inside KeePass.

didn't someone say mozilla will be introducing a password manager in the next update? might be worth waiting until then?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

I really wish XKCD guy would delete that loving comic off his website, especially now that he had his forums pwned and the password hashes of all his users stolen, some or all of which were using MD5. It's wrong in two ways: hash cracking *is* what average people should be worried about (and this was true even when the comic was made years ago). And it gives the impression that this type of password is what you should be using for all your accounts and websites (not a password manager). Which implies password re-use.

To be clear, 4 uncommon words like that is a fine thing as a master password of a password manager. Or a somewhat longer grammatical phrase using small words. Or an abbreviation based on something longer that you will always remember that's 12+ letters, like zpgjgwwagatsfm or igot99pbabao (though maybe pick slightly more obscure songs). Or some other scheme of your own creation. It's fine if people do different things, as long as the result is a complex enough password. In some ways it's better if we don't all do the same thing. It makes building the dictionaries harder.

FRINGE posted:

For the people doing their own passwords: Total character length matters more than "how human-unreadable it is". Writing a small unique sentence is pretty acceptable. A short "m%tqo.,32" is still a bad password.
Ehhh, total entropy is what matters. But people are bad at judging that if they haven't studied how randomness works, so it's not a bad layman explanation.

However, here is the downside to long passwords & the reason why password managers still generate 16-20 characters of gibberish rather than a long phrase: inputs have to be truncated somewhere. Websites have been known to chop input rather severely, such that a long passphrase becomes a medium one. But the password manager itself isn't gonna do that, you could use a whole paragraph of text for the master password.

(10 characters of alphanum+special is actually not terrible, at ~66 bits of entropy it has more randomness than a 4 word phrase. But very short random strings can get punished by random dictionary matches. For example, "m%tqo.,32" is ok but "mtqo%.,32" is very bad -- "mtgo" is gonna be in dictionary match. That makes your password into 1 word + 5 symbols which is an easy crack.)

abelwingnut posted:

didn't someone say mozilla will be introducing a password manager in the next update? might be worth waiting until then?
Maybe, if you like firefox enough to want to tie your password manager to firefox & mozilla... though there's also an android client already.

(2 major qualms: it's new so it's probably gonna be buggy which is a security concern. And mozilla might be looking to monetize it.)

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

abelwingnut posted:

If you are only looking at using a password manager to store website passwords, I guess that's fine. I, on the other hand, store lots of other passwords in my vault, like video game logins, remote server login credentials, and other application login credentials.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Klyith posted:

I really wish XKCD guy would delete that loving comic off his website
:agreed:

Klyith posted:

To be clear, 4 uncommon words like that is a fine thing as a master password of a password manager.
No, it's not, because humans will gently caress up word choice. Just use Diceware properly, which implies more than 4 words.

Strong agree on the 1 Diceware master password for password manager and distinct conventional, high-entropy, short passwords for each site.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Klyith posted:

For example, "m%tqo.,32" is ok but "mtqo%.,32" is very bad -- "mtgo" is gonna be in dictionary match. That makes your password into 1 word + 5 symbols which is an easy crack.)

This is one of the things I really dont have straight in my brain.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The master passphrase should be for the generated keyfile which unlocks the password database, not the passphrase for the database itself.
An OPT USB dongle to read passwords out of the database on top of that would be even better.

That way, you type your master password to unlock and whenever you need a login for a website you just insert your dongle.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i just use full on sentences of like 50 characters with spaces and punctuaction included for my master password/FDE key.

also, you can set keepass to ask you if that's what you really want to do every time something tries to retreive a key/password from it, it's good poo poo.

also, on topic of firefox, i'm moving to ESR lol

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Klyith posted:

10 characters of alphanum+special is actually not terrible, at ~66 bits of entropy it has more randomness than a 4 word phrase. But very short random strings can get punished by random dictionary matches. For example, "m%tqo.,32" is ok but "mtqo%.,32" is very bad -- "mtgo" is gonna be in dictionary match. That makes your password into 1 word + 5 symbols which is an easy crack.

Could you maybe elaborate a bit on this? How does an attacker know which digits are letters, numbers or special characters to be able to figure "the first four digits will probably be in a dictionary, so it'll be 1 word +5 symbols"?
And if it's so easy to figure out how long words in the password are, then why would a phrase of x words (totaling, say, 30 characters) be any better than a string of x random characters, outside of humans being able to remember it?

Also, how does a dictionary then go from "mtgo" to the "mtqo" in your example? Are the dictionaries augmented with similar-looking character substitutions?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Dictionary attacks will absolutely use common substitutions like e->3 i->! etc, since it's a fairly common practice people use to remember passwords and get still around "this password requires numbers/special characters/no repeats/etc"

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Geemer posted:

Are the dictionaries augmented with similar-looking character substitutions?

The video on password cracking I posted above elaborates on this.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Ola posted:

The video on password cracking I posted above elaborates on this.

Thanks, I missed those before.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
How do I get Firefox to open links that lead off-site in a new tab? Like when clicking search results?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Middle-click?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Sab669 posted:

Middle-click?

Yeah, but I want it by default, with left-click.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

What about just doing the old ctrl + left click?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

FRINGE posted:

This is one of the things I really dont have straight in my brain.

Geemer posted:

Could you maybe elaborate a bit on this?

Arstechnica did some good articles a while back on password hash cracking, this is the best one. That series is what convinced me to get a password manager.

The short of it is that you think of a pattern, you can set up the cracking program to run through every possible variation of that pattern at billions of guesses per second. The only barrier is time. So if you are a cracker you have a dictionary, which will have both real words and a whole bunch of fragments of things people like to put in passwords like "xyz". And you can can take that plus the pattern-generating to crack a whole lot of passwords. If you set it to chew through every combination of [dictionary word] + 5 characters you find "mtgo%.,32", "naruto73):>", and anything else matching that set in 1-2 days with a serious multi-GPU rig.

On the other hand, there are serious diminishing returns to this process on the cracker side. Actual black hats looking for criminal gain don't care about cracking 100% of passwords. They just want to find the guy who used "naturo73):>" for both the anime forum that got hacked and his email, allowing them to steal his playstation account or whatever.

Note that article is from 2013 and there's been 2 major changes since then. On the down side, GPUs are even faster. On the good side, more websites have started to use bcrypt or other hash algorithms that GPUs can't crack quickly. (Note that most password managers use even more strict methods that require yet more computational work -- Keepass for example lets you click a button for "whatever takes 1 full second of CPU time on my computer". Which is why the master password for your vault can often be paradoxically less random than the passwords it contains.)

Geemer posted:

Also, how does a dictionary then go from "mtgo" to the "mtqo" in your example? Are the dictionaries augmented with similar-looking character substitutions?

Because the red underline of the spellcheck made me see a a q as a g :downs:
Also note that I somehow counted 10 characters when the example has only 9. :downsgun:
So I'm an idiot, mtqo isn't going to be in a dictionary and I'm doubtful that g->q is a common substitution that would be checked with a pattern set. But hopefully I've now explained what I was on about. 9 characters of alphanum+symbols would ordinarily take a couple months to crack, but being unlucky is a severe reduction.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

PirateBob posted:

Yeah, but I want it by default, with left-click.

This might work:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/open-link-with-new-tab/

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Thanks a lot. This is all stuff I kinda already know, but having it laid out like this is really making me think hard about my password practices and strongly consider changing my mind about password managers turning my several points of failure into a single one.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
On the other hand you can crack like 3/4 of all passwords just by trying the 100 most common passwords verbatim :shrug:

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
Mozilla can get hosed pushing their own built-in password manager after they locked everyone else out of the APIs to tie into the browser password store. That's the reason password managers are so janky now, they're all trying increasingly desperate workarounds as the browsers keep locking down more and more of the extensions API.

It's the direct cause of lastpass getting owned repeatedly, for example.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I have exactly zero entries in the browser password store. You don't need it at all to use a password manager, which has its own store. The cookies remember your logins and when they expire you can just go get the password from wherever it is that you store it. The manager addon fills in the fields without touching the browser password store, automatically if you so desire, but I prefer click-to-fill.

Btw, said store is not secure unless you have a master password set in your browser. There has been malware that steals the files necessary to get at your logins. Without a master password set, your passwords are encrypted with a key stored in plaintext, i.e. like stealing candy from a baby who happens to be sleeping in a different room.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

if i downloaded a non-firefox password manager and added it, would it be able to import the passwords i already have stored in firefox?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

abelwingnut posted:

if i downloaded a non-firefox password manager and added it, would it be able to import the passwords i already have stored in firefox?

I think so yeah. Seems like there's a bit of a song and dance to do it, depending on which one you go for. Google "manager-name import firefox"

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Harik posted:

The direct cause of the Lastpass extension being owned repeatedly was that their developers seemingly did not keep security in mind when designing and writing it.

Not to mention they were bad at regex, which to a certain extent is normally understandable but not for something that 100% needs to be secure.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

abelwingnut posted:

1Password and Bitwarden have built-in importing from all browsers.

Keepass doesn't have it built-in, but there is a plugin for keepass that adds the ability.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Harik posted:

Mozilla can get hosed pushing their own built-in password manager after they locked everyone else out of the APIs to tie into the browser password store. That's the reason password managers are so janky now, they're all trying increasingly desperate workarounds as the browsers keep locking down more and more of the extensions API.

I think you might be mixing up a few things here: XUL got deprecated which took a lot of extensions with it in favour of the WebExtensions API - but there has since been at least one add-on made for KeePassXC for example, and Mozilla are in the process of extending WebExtensions to provide the same functionality as XUL did while still retaining the sandboxing, as well as speeding up things which I'm pretty sure couldn't be done with the old methods.
They're even letting developers program add-ons in WebAseembly for maximum fasts per hour.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 18, 2019

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Thank you, this seems to do the trick.

Also, is there an addon that keeps the tab bar scrolled to the end of the list? So you don't have to keep pressing the right arrow to see the end of your tabs?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

PirateBob posted:

Thank you, this seems to do the trick.

Also, is there an addon that keeps the tab bar scrolled to the end of the list? So you don't have to keep pressing the right arrow to see the end of your tabs?

Just in case you didn't know, your scroll wheel works on the tab bar as well.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Geemer posted:

Just in case you didn't know, your scroll wheel works on the tab bar as well.

Oh, cool, I didn't know that. I still wish they gave you a choice about which end of the list to prioritize showing though.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

D. Ebdrup posted:

I think you might be mixing up a few things here: XUL got deprecated which took a lot of extensions with it in favour of the WebExtensions API - but there has since been at least one add-on made for KeePassXC for example, and Mozilla are in the process of extending WebExtensions to provide the same functionality as XUL did while still retaining the sandboxing,
I could have sworn nsILoginManagerStorage was nuked before the XULpocalypse in '57 but that looks like when everything went to hell.

astral posted:

The direct cause of the Lastpass extension being owned repeatedly was that their developers seemingly did not keep security in mind when designing and writing it.

Not to mention they were bad at regex, which to a certain extent is normally understandable but not for something that 100% needs to be secure.
... which is because they had to do dumb API tricks and try to interpret HTML+JS logins instead of having a sane integration path.

See also this 18-year-old bug closed "WONTFIX because gently caress apple".

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2018/03/20/nine-years-on-firefoxs-master-password-is-still-insecure/

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Harik posted:

... which is because they had to do dumb API tricks and try to interpret HTML+JS logins instead of having a sane integration path.

See also this 18-year-old bug closed "WONTFIX because gently caress apple".

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2018/03/20/nine-years-on-firefoxs-master-password-is-still-insecure/

Neither of those have a thing to do with my criticisms.

For example, this was one of my favorite lastpass browser extension vulnerability situations:
https://labs.detectify.com/2016/07/27/how-i-made-lastpass-give-me-all-your-passwords/

The tl;dr is that for the bit that detects what website you were on, they were using some badly-written regex instead of modern javascript features to begin with. A user actually took a look at it and noticed the flaw in the regex that allowed an attacker with malicious code on a website to trivially fool the extension into disclosing passwords.

They 'fixed it quickly' but didn't really handle it well:
https://palant.de/2016/09/16/more-last-pass-security-vulnerabilities/

Rather than changing it to use modern browser features or even properly fixing the regex, they made the bizarre decision to run the URL through their bad regex multiple times. :psyduck:

Luckily, after Palant's report they changed it to use the browser-provided URL object, but they still ended up comparing it to their hack-job regex for some reason. :psyduck:

astral fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 19, 2019

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Not Invented Here

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
Does anyone have recommendations for making Firefox profiles portable? I tried the Firefox Portable app and that was garbage, but I figured out a way to do it with the regular installed app. You create a profile directory on the thumb drive (or copy one from the Firefox profiles directory in AppData) called profile2, then make a batch file called profile2.bat with this content

code:
@echo off

start "" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -Profile "%~dp0profile2"
The problem is that this won't work if C: isn't the main drive of the host system or if Firefox is installed in a different directory, and it also gets weird with extensions sometimes. So I'm looking for other ideas on how to accomplish this.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Curious what makes Portable Firefox garbage. I’ve used it on and off for years.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Its Coke posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for making Firefox profiles portable? I tried the Firefox Portable app and that was garbage, but I figured out a way to do it with the regular installed app. You create a profile directory on the thumb drive (or copy one from the Firefox profiles directory in AppData) called profile2, then make a batch file called profile2.bat with this content

code:
@echo off

start "" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -Profile "%~dp0profile2"
The problem is that this won't work if C: isn't the main drive of the host system or if Firefox is installed in a different directory, and it also gets weird with extensions sometimes. So I'm looking for other ideas on how to accomplish this.

You could replace the C:\Program Files (x86) bit with %ProgramFiles(x86)%, which would help if C: isn't the home drive. You could also go crazy with stuff like IF EXIST "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" (start "" "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -Profile "%~dp0profile2") ELSE (start "" "%ProgramFiles%\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -Profile "%~dp0profile2") for compatibility with both older and newer installs. But that'll still fail if it's not installed in either Program Files.

I haven't exactly tested these, so use at your own risk. But at worst it should just throw some error box or something, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Mr.Radar posted:

Firefox is moving to a 4-week release cycle (from the current 6-8 week cycle) starting with Firefox 71.

I remember that they already did that long ago and then walked it back when it turned out that the devs were burning out and that security, QA and users were also suffering. If they are lucky, they can learn from their mistakes twice.