Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Funny that it happens when they drop the naming convention. Quince Cake would've worked. The goog gives 112,000 results for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund
I try not to bitch about it too much, but I really miss android 2.3. I know security patches, but that was such a good mobile OS.
It's been downhill ever since they removed the hardware Menu key.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

WienerDog posted:

I try not to bitch about it too much, but I really miss android 2.3. I know security patches, but that was such a good mobile OS.

Adding copy/paste made it 1000% better than 2.2. I rooted and loaded a custom OS to get it on my first Android phone just for that.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Which Android sites besides xda are legit good? You know like android police, android authority and so on. I don't mean for news so much as troubleshooting help, how-to's, tweaking, etc. When I search I get hits from so many different ones and I know some of them have to be garbage sites.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

MikeJF posted:

No but they recently took out custom folders and this is now the only way to achieve that function.

I haven't tried it, but it seems to be free, and the UI is there even though I'm not a Plus member: https://support.pocketcasts.com/article/adding-files-android/

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

WienerDog posted:

Lmao is this a real post

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
It wouldn't be an android thread without rampant hyperbole.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Kerning Chameleon posted:

I imagine the dead canary moment will be if they keep the upfront payment, but add in ads or subscription tiers or something anyway. Or if the app suddenly gets really pushy about asking you to subscribe to Planet Money.

Well, at least they're not shilling sponsored podcasts yet.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
A while back I bought PitchLab Pro, but it looks like it's gone from the Play Store. Is there a way to get it on my phone with the license still intact without going to one of the sketchy APK sites? I see it's available on the Amazon store but I don't want that garbage installed.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Jesus, what will it take for Google to actually bring Assistant features to Canada?

They *still* don't let us select different voices up here even with this new rollout.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

hot date tonight! posted:

They're going to get a ton of blowback for this, their website clearly stated that they would always be a one time purchase with no subscription fees.

I paid for the app a few years ago and am mildly irritated by this. $4 isn't a lot but some acknowledgement of 'you paid, get a discount off of the subscription' would have been nice. I might just switch to doing podcasts on Spotify.

Montalvo fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 18, 2019

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
Didn't they say you get three free years of plus if you paid for the app or something?

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

SpiderLink posted:

Didn't they say you get three free years of plus if you paid for the app or something?

quote:

Those who previously purchased Pocket Casts’ desktop app will receive three free years of Pocket Casts Plus.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

My absolute favourite android app sellout moment was when JuiceSSH also became a tech bookshop app :wtc:

I still use it as it's an amazing app and the book poo poo is almost unnoticeable but still, wtf were they thinking

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I don't think that's the case. I double checked my Play order history and I see that I purchased the app back in 2013. Within the app I now see I am classified as a 'free account.'

e: ah, the desktop app. :rolleyes:

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Kheldarn posted:

Because Google no longer gives any fucks about being good. They just want to be iOS, but with a baker's dozen iMessage clones.

Fixed.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Montalvo posted:

I paid for the app a few years ago and am mildly irritated by this. $4 isn't a lot but some acknowledgement of 'you paid, get a discount off of the subscription' would have been nice. I might just switch to doing podcasts on Spotify.

So you got six years of use out of something you paid $4 for and now it's free but you still get everything you paid for? I mean, there's no accounting for emotions but I find it hard to see how you didn't get more than your fair share for the money. The only thing the paid subscription gets you is the stuff you refused to pay for back when you had the chance.

Besides, $10/year is nothing when you're paying for it with rewards money anyway.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Which apps do you think are clones of iMessage?

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

I stopped updating Pocket Casts right before the update to the new UI and I've basically just been hoping they don't break the old versions some how ever since.

Also thank you for the VLC recommendation, I will try it out. I was figuring it was probably the answer, but they last time I checked there was some sort of nonsense about it, it might've been a pain to use or something- but it was literally a couple phones ago.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

LastInLine posted:

So you got six years of use out of something you paid $4 for and now it's free but you still get everything you paid for? I mean, there's no accounting for emotions but I find it hard to see how you didn't get more than your fair share for the money. The only thing the paid subscription gets you is the stuff you refused to pay for back when you had the chance.

Besides, $10/year is nothing when you're paying for it with rewards money anyway.

Exactly. App development ain't free and I've already gotten countless hours worth of use out of my $4 (which was almost certainly paid for by Google Fun Bux). I'm happy to pay.

Edit: despite the Plus subscription having literally zero extra features I care about, I signed up for the $0.99/mo. They deserve the extra $2

XIII fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 19, 2019

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Don't use Pocket Casts but that sounds perfectly reasonable. The app I do use, Player.FM, I actually like a lot and would've happily tossed like $5 funbux at them as a one-time payment but they opted for a subscription model also and the tiers are $3.99 or $11.99(!) per month. The free app is fine and I've never missed anything they keep behind the paywall but I hope some whales are keeping them afloat cause it doesn't seem like they have a huge user base to begin with and those prices are nuts in such a crowded space with established competitors.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Pocket Casts just backpedaled, people who paid for the web player now get a lifetime Plus subscription instead of 3 years :)

https://blog.pocketcasts.com/we-heard-you/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
people were really against spending $10 in 2022 huh

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

Man I thought the reaction to Pocket Casts' redesign was wildly overwrought but at least that was over something that was actually kind of bad. The hysterical insanity the subscription model has incited makes me genuinely feel bad for the developers.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Which apps do you think are clones of iMessage?

Thankfully none of them are true "clones" of the worst iMessage lock-in, but they've obviously tried to clone the SMS+extras functionality several times.

Lightningproof posted:

Man I thought the reaction to Pocket Casts' redesign was wildly overwrought but at least that was over something that was actually kind of bad. The hysterical insanity the subscription model has incited makes me genuinely feel bad for the developers.

I own PocketCasts for Android and don't really care that its free now. However, if I'd purchased a lifetime license that suddenly required me to start paying a subscription for the same functionality I'd feel a bit ripped off. It's a tricky thing to manage the transition from one-time-buy to subscription, but that is not the way to do it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I own PocketCasts for Android and don't really care that its free now. However, if I'd purchased a lifetime license that suddenly required me to start paying a subscription for the same functionality I'd feel a bit ripped off. It's a tricky thing to manage the transition from one-time-buy to subscription, but that is not the way to do it.

How would you feel if you bought a lifetime license for something that just disappeared? More ripped off or less ripped off?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

LastInLine posted:

How would you feel if you bought a lifetime license for something that just disappeared? More ripped off or less ripped off?

My reaction would be similar. If I paid for a lifetime license for a product that disappeared, but was immediately replaced by a subscription version from the same developer. Even more so if that developer was actually backed by a major corporate entity.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

BeastOfExmoor posted:

My reaction would be similar. If I paid for a lifetime license for a product that disappeared, but was immediately replaced by a subscription version from the same developer. Even more so if that developer was actually backed by a major corporate entity.

That wasn't the question. What if it just disappeared without any replacement? It's an ongoing cost without ongoing revenue, so it should be obvious that isn't sustainable and at some point it will have to end. Which is preferable?

Also the "major corporate entity" you're referring to in this situation is literally a consortium of non-profits. I suppose they could inject pledge drives into the user's podcasts for a few weeks out of the year but I doubt that's going to win them many friends either.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

LastInLine posted:

This is a bit of a false dilemma because the CEO told The Verge that the switch to subscription model wasn't being done for revenue but to realign with NPR values. Pocket Casts wasn't at risk of disappearing.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hot date tonight! posted:

This is a bit of a false dilemma because the CEO told The Verge that the switch to subscription model wasn't being done for revenue but to realign with NPR values. Pocket Casts wasn't at risk of disappearing.

It's not a false dilemma if the app purchases were subsidizing the ongoing costs of running the server. I'm not privy to the numbers obviously, but that doesn't seem too crazy to me.

I believe I mentioned upthread that I'm not sure I buy that. The This American Life app which is the only way to get more than the last ten episodes of the show costs $2.99 (and is terrible). TAL owns Pocket Casts. Does TAL not align with NPR values?

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

LastInLine posted:

It's not a false dilemma if the app purchases were subsidizing the ongoing costs of running the server. I'm not privy to the numbers obviously, but that doesn't seem too crazy to me.

I believe I mentioned upthread that I'm not sure I buy that. The This American Life app which is the only way to get more than the last ten episodes of the show costs $2.99 (and is terrible). TAL owns Pocket Casts. Does TAL not align with NPR values?

Hey man, I'm just quoting their CEO, I don't think he's lying about this. https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/17/20870656/pocket-casts-plus-podcast-app-subscription-update-price

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I've read both his comment to the Verge and of course his blog posting about the change. The blog is a lot clearer in this regard:

quote:

As for our new business model, it will be a combination of our most passionate supporters paying for Pocket Casts Plus and direct funding from our partners. We may introduce other ways to keep this whole thing sustainable in the future, but because we're owned by not-for-profit organisations, we don't have to grow our margins at all costs or chase every last dollar.

The main change here is the these are now Pocket Casts Plus features. This service costs us money to run, and some of the new features we're adding mean our costs will increase.

I don't doubt that the philosophy that public media should be more broadly available to the public didn't inform the change, I'm certain it did, but the blog post from the horse's mouth also makes clear that it was done with an eye toward accomplishing that goal while also letting those creating the burden of the more costly services shoulder those ongoing costs. The fact that the "alignment for philosophical reasons" was issued as a clarifying statement rather than in the initial announcement should indicate to the astute reader which takes precedence.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I mean, no hard feelings, business is business, but I have way too many subscription services in my life as it is (including two that are podcast-related), and if I hadn't already jumped off the Pocket Casts train a while back this would probably do it.

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Me too, and I use the web player daily. I don't think there's anything wrong with being miffed that a service you once had infinite access to is now time-limited (though the 3 years in addition to the many years in which I've already used it made me not mind so much). I'm just talking about the weirdos on Reddit and Twitter screaming about betrayal as if they'd walked in on Pocket Casts with their spouse and not, you know, gotten a slightly less advantageous deal from a podcast app.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

I'm not upset at the financial impact of it; I simply feel like I was given a promise from a developer which was subsequently broken. I wouldn't be complaining at all if they had sent out an e-mail in advance explaining the situation; or given out some free subscription time for previous buyers; or even just acknowledged that it's a little bit of an unfortunate situation.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

repiv posted:

Pocket Casts just backpedaled, people who paid for the web player now get a lifetime Plus subscription instead of 3 years :)

https://blog.pocketcasts.com/we-heard-you/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

It expires in 2118 so I better include my Pocketcasts login information in my will!

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

hooah posted:

Will VLC stream videos from a network share? That's most of what I use MX Player for.

Like others have said, yes, it will, but there's a caveat. Unless something has changed within the past couple months, VLC's support for SMB is limited to v1, which you shouldn't be using for your network shares. However, if you use an app like Solid Explorer to browse an SMBv2 or SMBv3 share, you can launch VLC from the other app, and the video will play. Resuming playback if you return to the home screen or something isn't reliable, but the overall experience is good enough for my uses.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

LastInLine posted:

That wasn't the question. What if it just disappeared without any replacement? It's an ongoing cost without ongoing revenue, so it should be obvious that isn't sustainable and at some point it will have to end. Which is preferable?

It's a false choice. This has been done many times before. You split the product in two, grandfathering all your previous customers into a product that fills their needs while creating a new product on the subscription model. If you somehow hosed up the business plan so much that the new subscribers can't manage to fund your costs for the grandfathered plans then that is probably an indicator of more systematic problems that would encourage me to move to a competing product.

LastInLine posted:

Also the "major corporate entity" you're referring to in this situation is literally a consortium of non-profits. I suppose they could inject pledge drives into the user's podcasts for a few weeks out of the year but I doubt that's going to win them many friends either.

While those entities are indeed (to my knowledge) all non-profits, they're non-profits with incredible inflows of cash. Enough so that they can start going around acquiring for-profit entities. They're not your local community health clinic.

Lightningproof posted:

I'm just talking about the weirdos on Reddit and Twitter screaming about betrayal as if they'd walked in on Pocket Casts with their spouse and not, you know, gotten a slightly less advantageous deal from a podcast app.

Agreed. gently caress that crowd as usual. I don't care that the app went from $4 to free at all. It would've been nice to get something as a previous buyer, but as long as they don't start injecting their own ads or some other crap I'm fine.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Stuff I buy gets discounted all the time, sometimes even bundled in with other things I buy. I just had a shitload of games given to me on the Switch Online service that I had previously bought in the SNES mini.

I had listened to thousands of hours of podcasts before it went free and nothing about the app is changing for me, so I think i got my $4 worth (especially since the $4 was google fun bux anyways.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I agree with the "I have no problem with this but I wish they communicated it better" crowd