Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Endless Mike posted:

Well yeah you couldn't do it without them since they all did the actual work.

counting money is pretty tiring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Isn't Savage Dragon longer running?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

Isn't Savage Dragon longer running?

It's only on #245.

Did Gerhard do work on Cerebus besides backgrounds?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The record that people care about is that Cerebus and Savage Dragon have essentially been the same creator own book for their entire run. There's been dozens of artists on Spawn.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Even then there's some major asterisks involved;

Cerebus went 300 issues that were written, drawn, and published by Dave Sim. Gerhard did backgrounds and received partial ownership of the book for his work, ownership he eventually sold back to Sim after whatever Dave Sim Breakdown stage caused them to have a falling out.

But the fact is that all 300 issues were created and owned by the same creator(s) who shared ownership.

Spawn is about to have its 301st issue, but the vast majority of those have been written and drawn by people other than Todd McFarlane, the owner of Spawn. The majority of the creative energy put into these 301 comics was work for hire.

Erik Larsen's Savage Dragon meanwhile is "only" at 246 issues, but every one of them has been written and drawn by Erik Larsen.

If you just count the number of issues versus the "issue number" Stan Sakai has written and drawn at least 200 issues of Usagi Yojimbo, probably more like 250+. It's a lot more issues than Todd McFarlane wrote/drew of Spawn, at any rate, and probably more than Larsen on Savage Dragon, but they're not consecutively numbered so no one looks at it in these horse races.

And again if you're ignoring the whole "the creator owned book should be written and drawn by the creator, otherwise it's still basically work for hire", John Goldwater co-created Archie Andrews and the rest of the Riverdale crew and Goldwater was the owner/co-owner of Archie Comics until his death in 1999, so there's like a thousand issues of Archie/Jughead/Betty & Veronica published as a "creator owned" title.

Hellboy/BPRD/etc. has to be over 300 issues by now too, and Mignola owns that. There were probably at least 500 issues of various Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comics published while Eastman and Laird were still owners.

Todd McFarlane's record is really just "most consecutively numbered issues of a superhero comic book where the property is owned by the creator"

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
https://twitter.com/LlcTerrific/status/1174434393437265921?s=20

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Terrific production really seems like a Nigerian Prince scam, but for comic book people.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
lmao

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Madkal posted:

Terrific production really seems like a Nigerian Prince scam, but for comic book people.

Like a week ago they ran a "fan art" contest where people were encouraged to send in original characters, submissions also gave Terrific IP rights to anything contained in them.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Edge & Christian posted:

Even then there's some major asterisks involved;

Cerebus went 300 issues that were written, drawn, and published by Dave Sim. Gerhard did backgrounds and received partial ownership of the book for his work, ownership he eventually sold back to Sim after whatever Dave Sim Breakdown stage caused them to have a falling out.

But the fact is that all 300 issues were created and owned by the same creator(s) who shared ownership.

Spawn is about to have its 301st issue, but the vast majority of those have been written and drawn by people other than Todd McFarlane, the owner of Spawn. The majority of the creative energy put into these 301 comics was work for hire.

Erik Larsen's Savage Dragon meanwhile is "only" at 246 issues, but every one of them has been written and drawn by Erik Larsen.

If you just count the number of issues versus the "issue number" Stan Sakai has written and drawn at least 200 issues of Usagi Yojimbo, probably more like 250+. It's a lot more issues than Todd McFarlane wrote/drew of Spawn, at any rate, and probably more than Larsen on Savage Dragon, but they're not consecutively numbered so no one looks at it in these horse races.

And again if you're ignoring the whole "the creator owned book should be written and drawn by the creator, otherwise it's still basically work for hire", John Goldwater co-created Archie Andrews and the rest of the Riverdale crew and Goldwater was the owner/co-owner of Archie Comics until his death in 1999, so there's like a thousand issues of Archie/Jughead/Betty & Veronica published as a "creator owned" title.

Hellboy/BPRD/etc. has to be over 300 issues by now too, and Mignola owns that. There were probably at least 500 issues of various Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comics published while Eastman and Laird were still owners.

Todd McFarlane's record is really just "most consecutively numbered issues of a superhero comic book where the property is owned by the creator"

And Groo has had about 200 issues over the years.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/LlcTerrific/status/1174445862912548864

IT'S GETTING BETTER.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

What is

umm

wrong with this person? The whole twitter feed is weird. Why do they think they own youngblood?

EDIT: Oh I guess they do? That's even more bizzare

SoftNum fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Sep 19, 2019

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

SoftNum posted:

What is

umm

wrong with this person? The whole twitter feed is weird. Why do they think they own youngblood?

because, due to rob liefeld's poor business decisions, they do, iirc

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

SoftNum posted:

What is

umm

That’s the best part. Because they do.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
How did that happen? Did Liefeld leave it out at an estate sale?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

E&C explained it in this subforum not too long ago but I don't have post history and can't remember the exact thread it was in so I can't find it right now

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
TLDR is that liefeld had a partner and the partner sold to this guy.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
The worst part is that, by what I heard, Youngbloods was having a decent run by some people Rob hired before his partner screwed him. I was actually morbidly curious in it. It's not usual industry terribleness and Rob is an asshat, but having your partner sell your original property to, well, that whose going to make a mockery of it every day must suck.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

oh right he posted about it in this thread the last time that twitter account came up lmao

Edge & Christian posted:

I forget if I posted about that whole thing in here or in another thread, but basically:

1) Rob Liefeld made a lot of bad moves and kept jumping from company to company in the late 1990s
2) Awesome Comics was going to a company co-founded by Rob Liefeld and Jeph Loeb, and Loeb suggested they get funding from Scott Rosenberg, who totally belongs in Industry Terribleness part of this thread for stuff before, during, and after his time working with Liefeld.
2a) Awesome Comics quickly crashes and burns, and Alan Moore ends up doing America's Best Comics almost entirely because he told a bunch of artists they could work on the books he was doing for Liefeld (Supreme, Youngblood, Glory) and Moore felt bad that suddenly they didn't have work, so he arranged for Wildstorm to do ABC as a make-good.
3) Like twenty years pass, and Rosenberg goes "oh uh actually I sold the movie rights I had for Youngblood to Andrew Rev, who bought Comico in the early 1990s and hosed Matt Wagner and Bill Willingham and others out of their creator-owned books and surprise we've trademarked Youngblood and asserting the rights to make the comic too."

No idea if it's literally Andrew Rev posting those tweets but it's his company.

Update: scrolling through that account, it's definitely Andrew Rev and he is a trip

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Okay, now I am convinced this some kind of internet "Nigerian Prince" like scam. No one can be this loving dense.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It would be hilarious if Ethan had unknowingly lost the rights to his little cash cow somewhere along the way.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Covok posted:

The worst part is that, by what I heard, Youngbloods was having a decent run by some people Rob hired before his partner screwed him. I was actually morbidly curious in it. It's not usual industry terribleness and Rob is an asshat, but having your partner sell your original property to, well, that whose going to make a mockery of it every day must suck.

I'm friends with Chad Bowers, who was writing it. He was doing some really cool things. Terrific Productions is even using the redesigned Y logo that book used for their Twitter avatar.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Image is putting out a book by Rat Queens co-creator and domestic abuser John "Roc" Upchurch. The hell.

https://imagecomics.com/comics/releases/lucy-claire-redemption-1

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
lol gee i wonder what this is gonna be about

quote:

Lucy Claire was once a celebrated hero. But through a series of sinister events, she was slandered and defamed

came to post: apparently rob is still mad online about not being asked to draw rikki barnes

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Holy gently caress, Image.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Barry Convex posted:

Image is putting out a book by Rat Queens co-creator and domestic abuser John "Roc" Upchurch. The hell.

https://imagecomics.com/comics/releases/lucy-claire-redemption-1
At first I was like, "Well, I wonder how he's managed to redeem themselves. Has he sought help, tried to make things right with his victim(s)?"

And then I saw the plot of the comic.

Ugh.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dan Slott: Good?

https://twitter.com/DanSlott/status/1175222492241256449?s=20

Fake Edit: SJW Spider-Man is officially cancelled however.

https://twitter.com/SjwSpiderman/status/1175226567414505473?s=20

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He's still a oval office.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

He's a namesearching bully who thinks he's woke.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think it was posted in this thread but I remember reading about the new writer of GI Joe who got banned on the GI Joe forums after doing a Q&A thread where he revealed that one of the characters in the new comic had committed the unforgivable sin of being a gay man in a comic based on military toys. Well I read the first issue today of the comic, because it seemed like a good idea to support someone that pisses the right people off, and the comic was real good. The main characters of the comic are a woman, a Pakistani substitute teacher turned soldier, and a young gay Cambodian man who is the new recruit of the team and the POV character it seems. The plot is that they're fighting underground to overthrow fascists who have taken over the country. The blonde hero soldier of the team dies like three pages in which I'm sure really upset the right people. Seems like this book has already ticked off all the boxes to completely turn the shithead fans against it, which is a win in my book.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Man all these people getting their Cyberfrog comics and no one is talking about if the comic is good or not. Funny that.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

X-O posted:

I think it was posted in this thread but I remember reading about the new writer of GI Joe who got banned on the GI Joe forums after doing a Q&A thread where he revealed that one of the characters in the new comic had committed the unforgivable sin of being a gay man in a comic based on military toys. Well I read the first issue today of the comic, because it seemed like a good idea to support someone that pisses the right people off, and the comic was real good. The main characters of the comic are a woman, a Pakistani substitute teacher turned soldier, and a young gay Cambodian man who is the new recruit of the team and the POV character it seems. The plot is that they're fighting underground to overthrow fascists who have taken over the country. The blonde hero soldier of the team dies like three pages in which I'm sure really upset the right people. Seems like this book has already ticked off all the boxes to completely turn the shithead fans against it, which is a win in my book.

Yeah, Paul Allor did a Q&A on HissTank which is where a lot of reactionary G.I. Joe fans hang out, and some of them honestly lump in Hama's comic series as the same thing as the cartoon and they're really not. Both are commercials, certainly, but Hama being both a minority and having served in Vietnam gave him a perspective on the military that he made sure to put in his work and the chuds just see cool vehicles and people with codenames fighting. Already people's nostrils flared when Allor mentioned there would in fact be queer people in the comic and taking a look at the thread on the release of the first issue it's about what you'd expect: a fourth "I enjoyed it," half complaining about 'SJW nonsense' and the rest not reading it but commenting on what's said because internet. That said the mods not only closed Paul's thread but also removed whatever his final words in the thread were because HissTank is a nightmare.

It's really good, though. People ought to read it.

Allor is antagonizing the twitchy part of the fanbase way more than Sitterson ever did, who deliberately tried.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Apparently the proud tradition of far-right radio/shock-jock personalities making American Badass comics of themselves is alive and well:

https://twitter.com/QanonAnonymous/status/1175545824597565440

Posobiec is a huge MAGA chud who rides the line between "just hilariously stupid dumbass who can't even cheat on his wife right" and "oh poo poo wait no this isn't funny he actually causes real harm" but this seems firmly in the former category. He made a lot of money and connections off pizzagate dogshit and now he's pivoting to being a secret agent guy I guess by hiring Chuck Dixon to make a comic of himself and his wife and Tactical Baby.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't even know who this rear end in a top hat is but I bet his poo poo is normal comic sized unlike CYBARFRAHG

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
hes one of the guys who led the twitter brigade that got james gunn fired from gotg 3

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

hes one of the guys who led the twitter brigade that got james gunn fired from gotg 3

Oh well double gently caress him then.

I can't wait to see the backlash of black Batman when that news goes wide.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think I could go a few days without being reminded of how much people hate black people

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Roth posted:

I think I could go a few days without being reminded of how much people hate black people

I live in Indiana so if I have to be reminded every 46 seconds you can handle twice a week.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/marswalker3000/status/1175587426833596417

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i dont know if its just me, but in teenage fansubs post the cover is now hidden behind a content warning screen lol