Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

How does that even happen? Dropped after several consecutive magdumps?

Attempted to open one crate.

e: I got nothing for the thread for the top of a page, sorry.

ArcMage fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Sep 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It got eaten by the turret monster.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It was stuck through one of the portholes for the men to shoot out and they sideswiped a tree.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zipperelli. posted:

Dunno how OSHA this is, but it fits the thread title to a T.

"i swear it's just whiskey dick, give me 5 minutes and i can get it up"

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ArcMage posted:

Attempted to open one (1) crate.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

I want one.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Zipperelli. posted:

Dunno how OSHA this is, but it fits the thread title to a T.

Hey, you got that for free, the Nazis spent years developing theirs.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So just saw this on my walk back from lunch. Couldn't get any too detailed pics because the guy was pulling out just as I was walking past, but:

Granted I'm not an expert on how to properly tie down a load to a flatbed, but I feel like there should be more securing this than a single bungee cable over the top?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

RandomFerret posted:

Hey, you got that for free, the Nazis spent years developing theirs.

The Russians just used a pencil wave after wave of poorly armed conscripts who faced the choice of attacking the Germans or getting shot by NKVD.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Trabant posted:

The Russians just used a pencil wave after wave of poorly armed conscripts who faced the choice of attacking the Germans or getting shot by NKVD.

Didn't they do this to dogs too?

ickna
May 19, 2004

Sydin posted:

So just saw this on my walk back from lunch. Couldn't get any too detailed pics because the guy was pulling out just as I was walking past, but:

Granted I'm not an expert on how to properly tie down a load to a flatbed, but I feel like there should be more securing this than a single bungee cable over the top?

There are some tan colored straps towards the front too. The one over the top in the back is probably just to keep it from bouncing when going over bumps

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_dolphin

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

They tried training dogs to run under German tanks with explosives, but they had a lot of problems. They were exclusively trained on stationary tanks, so they wouldn't run under moving ones. A lot of them got scared, ran back into the trenches, and blew up. They also ran toward Soviet tanks with the more familiar diesel smell!

The "Soviets used massive human wave attacks and blocking detachments" thing is pop history distortion. Human waves were an early misstep by inexperienced commanders who didn't know how to fight the invading Germans appropriately, and that practice ended shortly after. Blocking detachments ceased official use in 1942 and were disbanded completely in 1944, and they just arrested soldiers who retreated or deserted. The image of them setting up machine guns to kill everyone running is fiction.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

chitoryu12 posted:

They tried training dogs to run under German tanks with explosives, but they had a lot of problems. They were exclusively trained on stationary tanks, so they wouldn't run under moving ones. A lot of them got scared, ran back into the trenches, and blew up. They also ran toward Soviet tanks with the more familiar diesel smell!

The "Soviets used massive human wave attacks and blocking detachments" thing is pop history distortion. Human waves were an early misstep by inexperienced commanders who didn't know how to fight the invading Germans appropriately, and that practice ended shortly after. Blocking detachments ceased official use in 1942 and were disbanded completely in 1944, and they just arrested soldiers who retreated or deserted. The image of them setting up machine guns to kill everyone running is fiction.

Woah never heard about this before. Is there a wikipedia article????

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

My wife keeps threatening to leave me if I don't stop answering the German advancement with bomb dogs, but I have conviction, drat it

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

ickna posted:

There are some tan colored straps towards the front too. The one over the top in the back is probably just to keep it from bouncing when going over bumps

It looks loose. I think the tan strap was used to pull it onto the trailer and then they used that blue strap to "secure" it.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Sydin posted:

Eeeh, yeah if it were me I would secure it differently but really... if it is just going around at low speeds its probably fine.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Sydin posted:

There's a front tie down and the blue thing is another ratchet straps. I wouldn't do it exactly like that but it's probably fine for city streets.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://i.imgur.com/apnQFaA.mp4

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Imagine if he had jumped in through the passenger door instead of running in front of the uncontrolled truck.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's always amusing when a vehicle starts rolling because someone hasn't set the brakes properly, they panic and try to stop it, and then after it does stop they still don't bother to properly set the brakes.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

At least he found the brake and didn't pull the "oh poo poo, I hit the wrong pedal" then gave it some gas.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

that's crazy lol. it reminds me of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-tank_dog

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Didn’t we have a us military research project on “corner bullets”?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Imagine if he had jumped in through the passenger door instead of running in front of the uncontrolled truck.

A guy at a place i worked had something like that happen and was only stopped from jumping in front of the truck by his trainer physically grabbing him. Smashed right into the clients building, which is bad, but a whole lot less bad than someone getting squashed.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Do these people also try to catch knives they drop, either by hand or foot?

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Burt Sexual posted:

Didn’t we have a us military research project on “corner bullets”?

there was an airburst grenade launcher, of which a few of them exploded

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

BMan posted:

there was an airburst grenade launcher, of which a few of them exploded

Nah

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/darpa-bullet-can-change-direction-mid-flight/

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Jabor posted:

It's always amusing when a vehicle starts rolling because someone hasn't set the brakes properly, they panic and try to stop it, and then after it does stop they still don't bother to properly set the brakes.

Not exactly the same, but a number of years ago I brought in my car for a faulty MAF and somehow when fixing this the mechanic hosed up the route of my fuel line. Car drove fine at first but the gas pedal felt kind of sticky, figured I'd bring it back in the next day to ask about it. Pull out of my driveway the next day, and once I hit the accelerator to go down the street, I just get locked into max acceleration. No matter what position I put the gas pedal at the car is just flooring it. I spent maybe a full ~45 seconds with the break slammed down, slowly inching forward, panicking about stopping the thing before I ran out of street and into somebody's house. Finally something in my brain clicked and I threw it into park and turned it off, which I could have done from the start. But when something like that happens you freeze up and rational decision making goes out the window for a bit. It was a weird period of feeling completely helpless and terrified even though the solution is insultingly easy.

I assume this is the same thought paralysis that kicks in when people's vehicles start to run away and they try to grab on/run in front of it instead of just jumping straight into the drivers seat and slamming the parking break.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Sep 19, 2019

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

Icon Of Sin posted:

At least he found the brake and didn't pull the "oh poo poo, I hit the wrong pedal" then gave it some gas.

I would argue that he did "give it some gas" in this video.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Once I was driving a forklift, of the type you stand up in, and it slipped on some condensation on the concrete in the cooler I was working in. As it slipped into the rack I put my foot out to stop it and had it crushed.

It felt like my boot was a puddle of blood, but luckily it was just swollen and a few days later I was back at work like the dumb 18 year old I was.

You just react in dumb ways some times.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I definitely kick my foot out to break the fall of anything I drop. So far I've always managed to get the flat side of the knife, but did break a toe saving a can of stewed tomatoes

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Do these people also try to catch knives they drop, either by hand or foot?

I did this almost exactly 1 year ago. You know that area between your thumb and pointer finger? Yeah, the knife went all the way down through that until it hit bone at the base of my thumb. Thumb was just hanging there. Cut the muscle there in half, severed a nerve, severed an artery, cut a tendon, and butchered half my hand nearly off. I still have no feeling in that thumb but at least it moves again after a bunch of surgery and therapy.

Don't catch falling knives.

e: :nws: https://i.imgur.com/pWusdSS.jpg :nws:

Doesn't look THAT bad, initially. But if I turn my hand around, the wound goes about that far down on the other side of the hand as well. It wasn't a surface cut. Pretty much draw a line from the skin at the base of my thumb down through to the middle of my hand, there. All the way through. Not just on the palm side. Like if you were trying to cut a leg off of a roast chicken or something. I'm just lucky that bone stopped it from going further.

Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Sep 19, 2019

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I developed a similar skill of kicking my foot under a falling toddler's head to keep it from hitting the floor. I did this unconsciously at a concert when a crowd surfer was almost dropped on his head in front of me.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Catastrophe posted:

I did this almost exactly 1 year ago. You know that area between your thumb and pointer finger? Yeah, the knife went all the way down through that until it hit bone at the base of my thumb. Thumb was just hanging there. Cut the muscle there in half, severed a nerve, severed an artery, cut a tendon, and butchered half my hand nearly off. I still have no feeling in that thumb but at least it moves again after a bunch of surgery and therapy.

Don't catch falling knives.

e: :nws: https://i.imgur.com/pWusdSS.jpg :nws:

Doesn't look THAT bad, initially. But if I turn my hand around, the wound goes about that far down on the other side of the hand as well. It wasn't a surface cut. Pretty much draw a line from the skin at the base of my thumb down through to the middle of my hand, there. All the way through. Not just on the palm side. Like if you were trying to cut a leg off of a roast chicken or something. I'm just lucky that bone stopped it from going further.

Years ago I had to have surgery and rehab for just the first knuckle/tip of my thumb after it was slammed in a door hinge and almost severed. That looks way worse and more rehab involved. My sympathies.

Did you have to move your hand in a warm salt water dish for rehab? That's what I remember.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

RandomFerret posted:

I definitely kick my foot out to break the fall of anything I drop. So far I've always managed to get the flat side of the knife, but did break a toe saving a can of stewed tomatoes
that's so dumb, stop doing that. Don't do that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

RandomFerret posted:

Geez I don't even try to drop empty, plastic sample bottles in the lab. My instincts always to jump back.

Do that: jump back. Safety first you can always clean up the stewed tomatoes.