Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
GROWING costs has forced the closure of several Queensland Cold Rock stores, putting 20 staff out of work and leaving suppliers owed thousands of dollars.

In separate posts to Facebook this week it was announced Cold Rock stores at Indooroopilly and Springwood would close.

Both Cold Rock franchises are owned by Bambry Enterprises Pty Ltd director Don Bambry.

Mr Bambry took over the Springwood shop in 2014.

He said rising costs in the past 12 months made the stores unviable.

“There’s no question it’s just not profitable to run the business,” he said.

“The stores are incredibly popular but over the last year or two with the increase in sales through Uber Eats and other home-delivery services, the commission they take, takes the profit out of the business.”

The store owner declared he was “not the problem” with Uber Eats taking 30 per cent of the sale price as commission.

“It takes businesses months and months to realise they’re bleeding (to delivery companies),” Mr Bambry said.

About 20 employees from the two stores are out of work but have been paid their entitlements as a priority.

He said several suppliers were owed money, in the tens of thousands of dollars.

“The growth in the stores has peaked and the costs keep going up,” he said.

“It’s quite sad for me to close.”

Mr Bambry said he was “relentless about concerns” to head office about the stores’ profitability.

“If I go on the dole tomorrow I’m going to bring home more money that I did for the past 12 months,” he said.

Franchised Food Company chief executive Stan Gordon blamed evening penalty rates for “making a lot of the retail stores untenable”.

“You just can’t pay the wages that are demanded,” he said.

“I think you’ll continue to see the demise of retail stores.

“I think everybody should be paid the same rate for a 38-hour week and then after 38 hours add penalty rates.

“We’re in a 24-hour, seven-day world.”

Mr Gordon said the closure of the two stores “took us by absolute surprise”.

He said Springwood, the third-best performing store in Australia, would be reopened.

“There’s no guarantees in life but I can say pretty certainly Springwood will open,” he said.

“We’re in the business of opening stores, not closing them.”

He disagreed with Mr Bambry’s complaint about delivery companies crippling the business.

“I don’t really buy that,” he said.

“If you don’t want to do it, don’t do it.

“Nobody is standing with a gun at their head saying you have to.”

The Franchised Food Company boss said the company was strong and would continue to expand.

“Retail is tough and anybody who says differently is talking nonsense,” he said.

“We’re strong and we’re seeing growth in our stores.”

Mr Bambry said his company, Bambry Enterprises Pty Ltd, would be put into liquidation.

The closure of the popular ice creamery comes less than a week after the Courier Mail revealed Toowoomba-based company Home Ice Cream would downsize.
Home Ice Cream closed its Gold Coast depot last month, putting four people out of work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Unions self-policing shitheads like Setka out is a point against Liberals' "outlaw Unions" bullshit

Setka hanging on to power despite it all only helps the Coalition

How is this point so hard to understand? Setka is doing MORE damage by being in power

Jonah Galtberg posted:

normally I would agree but the stakes are just too high now that the libs have made it clear that getting rid of him would trigger a whole new (new (new)) wave of further unionbusting

it's more important to protect the union movement as a whole than it is to get rid of one epic freaking twatnozzle or whatever, he can be quietly shuffled off sometime down the road but you just cannot give the liberal party even half an inch on this no matter how clever their wedges are

We have a ingrained culture of violence against women that is far FAR more important to fight back against. Keeping a thug like Setka anywhere near power is 100% the wrong thing to do for the union movement and just keeps kicking own goals in the political debate. Frankly throwing Setka off a tall cliff would do more to protect the union movement AND to make it clear such bullshit is not tolerated.

Start thinking about the optics to women about the union movement. Makes it pretty easy to say unions are made up of violent women hating thugs if you can point to that rear end in a top hat, doesnt it

or to put it more simply -Sekha is cancer, it should be dealt with and fast.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Anidav posted:

I think everybody should be paid the same rate for a 38-hour week and then after 38 hours add penalty rates.

Everyone except of course captains of industry that don’t know the difference between penalty rates and overtime

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

i am not ready

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Albanese posted:

Dance like nobody's watching, talk like the security agencies aren't listening, and donate like Gladys Liu is organising.

Morrison posted:

For those who need restrooms tonight, figure it out yourselves, I removed all the restroom signs.

Champagne comedy

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/sep/19/eric-abetz-compares-the-conversation-nazis-climate-change-denial

quote:

Abetz, who describes himself as a climate change agnostic, said environmental prophets of doom had been getting it wrong for half a century.

“This ugly, unscientific, totalitarian, arrogant approach taken by The Conversation is the exact opposite to the principles of scientific endeavour.”

He said the lesson of history was that truth would ultimately prevail.

“The Conversation can stop the conversation, but it cannot stop the march of inquiring minds that will ultimately determine this issue,” Abetz said.

Low hanging nazi jokes aside, that does not sound like the senator is agnostic about climate change.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Budget still in the red

Frydenburg lied.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

But is the deficit growing at a slower rate?

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Anidav posted:

Budget still in the red

Frydenburg lied.

Liedenburg

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Anidav posted:

Budget still in the red

Frydenburg lied.

i don't believe it!

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

spot the difference

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
It doesn't matter because 7/10 idiots will tell you that it'd be worse if the ALP won.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
gently caress, who knows given the current shitshow of a party they might not even be wrong.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I surplus will save me

Says man on Newstart

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
the government explicitly not spending money on economic stimulus while simultaneously depressing wages and cutting public sector jobs for the sake of providing a budget surplus, widely considered a useless performance metric when borrowing rates are at near 0, is actually fantastic. I am a very intelligent news man.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Only the kiss of Bill Shorten can save me from this hell world.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Anidav posted:

Only the kiss of Bill Shorten can save me from this hell world.

Bill Shorten lost two unlosable elections, gently caress Bill Shorten

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

It is our fault for refusing to believe a better world is possible.

Especially Katterstan.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

The Peccadillo posted:

Why do men's rights advocates have this much of an in? It's weird as poo poo

Pauline Hanson trawls the fringe for votes and the coalition sucks up to her. That's it.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
bill will return to save us when we least expect him

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

fauna posted:

bill will return to save us when we least expect him

Bill is the politician we deserve, but not the one we need.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Bill doeant deserve anything.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Djxhshazhshsbz

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Anidav posted:

Djxhshazhshsbz

take some deep breaths, relax, then go and beat up your boss

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

Lid posted:

Bill doeant deserve anything.
he deserves anidav's love

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Bill was good. Lack of ALP media presence and lovely American style attacks on leaders by opposed parties and organisations instead of targeting policy.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Don Dongington posted:

It doesn't matter because 7/10 idiots will tell you that it'd be worse if the ALP won.

Yeah but who listens to channel 7 and 10 any more?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
I am trying very hard not to fall into a depression abyss, but fuckin hell I'm not sure I can take another three years of this.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

froglet posted:

I am trying very hard not to fall into a depression abyss, but fuckin hell I'm not sure I can take another three years of this.

LOL imagine thinking that after 3 years things will get better.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Just tune out lol

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

froglet posted:

burgs

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

JBP posted:

Just tune out lol

yeah nah

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Oh no! The system that has like fifteen avenues of appeal sometimes finds in the favour of workers! Hissssssss!

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

We shouldn't engage in stereotypes since that's what the right and news corp do but I can only imagine every small business owner turning red and making GBS threads their pants when they find out they can't act like Trump on the loving Apprentice since we have workers' rights

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

froglet posted:

:same: it's been tough lately

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

mmmm burgs

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

unemployed but still striking tomorrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast