Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Maybe a new addition when you play a 6 round game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
They're playing the 'solo 2 player' variant, there's a thread about it on the bgg forums somewhere. You both cycle through two colours like in the solo game, so every round there's two sets of blocking vikings left on the board. e: using the 4 player board

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Didn't know about that one. Thanks

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jedit posted:

I just noticed something about that AFFO game. They're using the "Perform an occupied action" spaces from the base game, but I didn't think you were meant to use those with the Norwegian action board because it is already scaled by player count.

watch out the fun police have arrived.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

My boss knows I like boardgames, so when I flew out to visit the main office last week, he took 15 of us out to a boardgame cafe right next door for lunch.

"Okay Rav, what do we all play?"

One coworker was doing the math for how many Monopolies we needed. If they didn't have enough copies, Life was an acceptable substitute, of course.

I suggested splitting it up into manageable chunks, but they wanted as many together as possible, for team building!

The only feasible high player count, easy to learn, doesn't take table space (which was covered in our lunch) and low downtime thing available was Telestrations, which plays up to 12. We had 10 on that, and I picked Coup as a simple game for another 5. Went pretty well, and a few people had to leave right after, so we just played a second round of 12p Telestrations afterwards.

Probably should have just done Sushi Go or something for the side group, something simultaneous without downtime, but Coup usually leads to funny stories for new groups as they tackle with bluffs and disbelieving each other.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Super Jay Mann posted:

My own thoughts on the Through The Ages expansion playing a ton of it against bots.

- You can get to some absurd culture generation with some combos. way, way more than in the base game. Like 30+ culture per turn type combos, which I've done more than once already. I still haven't broken the 400+ mark in score but I've gotten drat close. Also worth noting that this applies equally well to the AI who I've seen rack up some crazy scores compared to the base game.
- Similarly, strength bonuses can get equally absurd with so many extra yellows and resources hanging around, not to mention Manhattan Project being a thing. One of my almost-400 games was a game where I took about 160-180 of my final score from three straight culture wars after having 4 mobile artillery armies and 4 air forces with Napoleon. Shame Manhattan wasn't in that game.
- All of the new leaders and wonders can be amazing in the right situation, and I like how much flexibility they add that wasn't there before. It's also funny how some of these new cards can really shine in situations you might not immediately think about, like how Isabella is a sneaky good wonder spammer because of the +1 rock and because her blues deal nicely with the dreaded corruption problem protracted wonder spamming can bring. Or using Eleanor in Age II for some sick nasty 'pick leader and/or government, replace and revolt' shenanigans.
- On a more macro level, the expansion brings a rather fundamental change to the gameplay that I think takes a lot of getting used to. We've transitioned from a static meta into a dynamic one, and it's a pretty wild swing. In the base game, inherent randomness of the card row and event deck aside, the pool of available leaders and wonders was always the same so every game of TTA follows the same "rules" so to speak. Pyramids is always there, Hammurabi is always there, the Basilica is always up for grabs, Napoleon is an omnipresent threat that must be accounted for, Gandhi will always be the security blanket panic option for weak militaries everywhere, and so on. In the expansion, notwithstanding the options to play with original- or expansion-only games which are, to be frank, boring and terrible respectively, every play of the game will be entirely different. You'll get tons of shiny new options but that usually necessitates removing options you had become accustomed to in the base game, removing a lot of the combos with it. Even with full knowledge of what leaders/wonders are in play it's very easy to find yourself autopiloting and, for example, gearing up for Shakespeare shenanigans only to remember that he isn't in the game. Or counting on a non-existant Basilica to fix your happiness forever.

That last thing I think is the biggest leap forward made with this expansion, as it's a pretty fundamental and radical change to the way the game is played session to session and greatly reduces the chance of a stagnating metagame. It also offers some fun in a casual setting by enhancing replayability, and it's not like the leader/wonder draw has to be entirely random. If you're sick of the Sword of DamoclesNapoleon hanging over Age II every game, then guess what? You don't have to play with him at all if you don't want to! :D

Following from that last point, the one thing I really hope they add to the app version is being able to truly customize your leader/wonder set. Allow us to lock in certain choices and randomize the rest, maybe set parameters like only X amount of expansion cards, stuff like that. Random mix is great but it sucks that the app is stuck with that when all that and more would be trivial to do in the tabletop version.

:emptyquote:

I really like how it's forcing you to switch up your strategies, base TTA kind of gets stale after a while. It does mean I have to relearn all the new leaders/wonders and how they interact with each other.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I got a sweet haul at the Value Village today! I like to check at least twice a week, and this time I was not disappointed. The trick is to go early in the morning, before the new stuff has been picked through. I found complete copies of Risk, Risk: 2210AD and Star Wars: Risk! These fine games are great on their own (Risk: 2210AD is a steal at $5) but I was mostly excited to get big piles of these tiny miniatures that I can use for wargames :haw:

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Sep 18, 2019

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Do you post in the thrifting finds list on BGG? Probably more excitement there imo.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

silvergoose posted:

Do you post in the thrifting finds list on BGG? Probably more excitement there imo.

No I don't really post to BGG. It is an exciting thread?

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer

Redundant posted:

Are there any goon recs for big player count (7-8) games?

Some of these were already mentioned so just to reiterate/consolidate...

7p
Mysterium
Between Two Castles of Mad King Ludwig
7 Wonders
Not Alone

8p
Captain Sonar
Welcome To...
On Tour
Flick Em Up (if people like dexterity games)
Formula D (if people don't mind sitting around and shooting the breeze while they wait for their turns)
Wits and Wagers
Codenames
Saboteur

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Redundant posted:

I lost a game of Concordia tonight because I forgot to buy a new colonist when I used my Tribune. I had the resources, I just switched off and forgot to put one out. A precautionary tale about the perils of being a buffoon with a short attention span.

Are there any goon recs for big player count (7-8) games? I've got a games weekend thing organised but it was more popular than I expected, I've got a few games to cover that number (Secret Hitler, Cash n Guns, Sushi Go!, makeshift Skull) but nothing really good. I figure we're better off splitting into 2 groups but people aren't initially keen on that. Maybe a PnP like Escape From the Aliens In Outer Space will help pad things out?

Decrypto is really good, for me it's better than code names but other people might disagree.

Wilderness is good for 7.

Welcome To goes up that high but not sure exactly how easy it would be with 8.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Rutibex posted:

No I don't really post to BGG. It is an exciting thread?

No, I mean more people might be excited than here.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Aramoro posted:

Decrypto is really good, for me it's better than code names but other people might disagree.

I think I'd say Codenames is more accessible but Decrypto is more of a game? We usually play Decrypto these days but they're both really good.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Incidentally the Decrypto expanion recently came out.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
8 player Napoleons Triumph imo

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

I somehow missed this one. Though, looking into it further, I'm glad I did. It honestly doesn't look all that interesting to me. Is there something I'm missing or does it play as blandly as it appears to?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Bland is probably the most apt word for all Stonemaier games.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Papes posted:

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Papes posted:

How does that work? Is it just NT combined with the telephone game?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

PerniciousKnid posted:

How does that work? Is it just NT combined with the telephone game?

There's specific rules for team games in the rulebook. You divvy up corps, the team takes turns in rank order, unit commands are still limited. Communication is "Commander can send a single message to subcommanders, messages arrive a turn later".

I've played 2v2 and it was awesome.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

My friend's copy of GMT's 1862 ships :siren:October 10th:siren: :woop:

Quite exciting. Love those chonky 46 tiles.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

GMT send me my deluxe Battle Line already for christ's sake :argh:

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
GMT's email today was taunting me about the yearly sale. Big discounts for P500's apparently...

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

FulsomFrank posted:

GMT's email today was taunting me about the yearly sale. Big discounts for P500's apparently...

I'm just gonna forget about this bit of info. Annnnnd gone. Ahhh..

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

silvergoose posted:

There's specific rules for team games in the rulebook. You divvy up corps, the team takes turns in rank order, unit commands are still limited. Communication is "Commander can send a single message to subcommanders, messages arrive a turn later".

I've played 2v2 and it was awesome.

I assume you write the orders on paper and tuck them into a yellowed envelope for delivery?

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
Thanks everyone for the high player count suggestions, I can't get Sidereal Confluence: Something in a Something Something reliably in time which is a shame but I can steal some Roland Wright games and luckily one of the others has Decrypto and Codenames which is a bonus. I don't even know what Napoleon's Triumph is so I am going to assume it is a chitty chitty war game. I am still going to push for splitting into 2 groups since there is a pretty clear divide in terms what sort of games people are after but a few big group games can help to ease us into that. Should be a fun weekend, will report back.

I also saw no mention of a sale here, no siree, definitely not going to go to the website and see what's on offer...

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

PerniciousKnid posted:

I assume you write the orders on paper and tuck them into a yellowed envelope for delivery?

How else would you do it???

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Idle thought it took me way too long to get: in Through The Ages Robespierre's ability is to let you have a revolution without a revolution

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
Played Everdell for the first time tonight, and oh my god I love it. The presentation and artwork is top-notch; I absolutely adore the critters, and it's easy to picture the town you're building as it develops into a bustling community.

The gameplay's not bad either.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Played 3 games of Wingspan (one game at 5 players and two with 2 players) and it has left me unimpressed. The art and components are some of the nicest I've seen, the birds are cute, but the engine you're building is just... very random. There's a ton of bird cards, but it still feels like there's overall only 10 or so different abilities. None of the birds feel very special, and you don't have any real control over what you're going to get stuck with anyways. There's 3 birds in the "market", but there's a 90% chance they're as unimpressive as what you can draw at random. It's the same issue Terraforming Mars has, only amplified. At least it plays a lot quicker (2p in under an hour, 5 dragged a bit but it was the teaching round), but there's almost no puzzle or particularily interesting choices to make, let alone player interaction.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Oenis posted:

Played 3 games of Wingspan (one game at 5 players and two with 2 players) and it has left me unimpressed. The art and components are some of the nicest I've seen, the birds are cute, but the engine you're building is just... very random. There's a ton of bird cards, but it still feels like there's overall only 10 or so different abilities. None of the birds feel very special, and you don't have any real control over what you're going to get stuck with anyways. There's 3 birds in the "market", but there's a 90% chance they're as unimpressive as what you can draw at random. It's the same issue Terraforming Mars has, only amplified. At least it plays a lot quicker (2p in under an hour, 5 dragged a bit but it was the teaching round), but there's almost no puzzle or particularily interesting choices to make, let alone player interaction.

Coulda just said it was a Stonemeier game!

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Oenis posted:

Is it a game that you think if you played it a few more times and got to know the cards it would be more tolerable? 3 games is nothing to shrug at and I'd probably biff something if I didn't like it after two so you're already way ahead of me on that one. Your comparison to Terraforming Mars scares me but at least (like people have pointed out in this thread) you can just terraform mars and laugh at people trying to play the game like Race for the Galaxy. Sounds like with Wingspan you're totally at the mercy of the cards/blind draws. Is there any player interaction at all or is it a multiplayer solitaire tableau builder?

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

FulsomFrank posted:

Is it a game that you think if you played it a few more times and got to know the cards it would be more tolerable? 3 games is nothing to shrug at and I'd probably biff something if I didn't like it after two so you're already way ahead of me on that one. Your comparison to Terraforming Mars scares me but at least (like people have pointed out in this thread) you can just terraform mars and laugh at people trying to play the game like Race for the Galaxy. Sounds like with Wingspan you're totally at the mercy of the cards/blind draws. Is there any player interaction at all or is it a multiplayer solitaire tableau builder?

There’s interaction in the form of benefits from other players taking actions (stonemaier go-to) and also competition for round-end bonuses. No antagonizing other than hate-drafting dice, I guess?

E: as someone who has played 19 games of wingspan, I will say that the card draw/availability isn’t wholly deterministic, there are many routes to victory, and you are definitely squandering efficiency if you are digging for specific cards instead of playing to what’s available. Still a Stonemaier game, so if you aren’t someone that bites on what Jamey offers, it’s not for you.

Bodanarko fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Sep 19, 2019

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Here's something cool: BGG is implementing a new subject thesaurus for its game mechanics! It's based on the book "Building Blocks of Tabletop Design: an Encyclopedia of Mechanisms" by Engelstein and Shalev, so there's some actual documentation available. Maybe this is just of personal professional interest as a microcosm of a lot of different debates around subject classification in cataloging. The reception is definitely mixed, but that's common for the implementation of a new controlled vocabulary over an old one.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

As bad as Wingspans themeatic integration is, Tapestry is a new level of that and I really hate that in a Civ game where the arc of your Civ is important to caring about what you’re doing. Turn one inventing time travel? Sure why not, not like it matters or is anything other than a name for another card/tile.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

pospysyl posted:

Here's something cool: BGG is implementing a new subject thesaurus for its game mechanics! It's based on the book "Building Blocks of Tabletop Design: an Encyclopedia of Mechanisms" by Engelstein and Shalev, so there's some actual documentation available. Maybe this is just of personal professional interest as a microcosm of a lot of different debates around subject classification in cataloging. The reception is definitely mixed, but that's common for the implementation of a new controlled vocabulary over an old one.

Hello fellow librarian :v:

This is actually fascinating. Beyond making the BGG database more user friendly I'm going to have to read that book, It sounds really interesting.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I still really like Viticulture but only the EE with Tuscany EE. I don't think I would give any of his other games a second play which is going to be hard when my friend wants to play Scythe and Wingspan again and I tell him nah I'm good.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Rad Valtar posted:

I still really like Viticulture but only the EE with Tuscany EE. I don't think I would give any of his other games a second play which is going to be hard when my friend wants to play Scythe and Wingspan again and I tell him nah I'm good.

Have you ever played with the expanded visitor cards (EDIT: yes the moor visitors or whatever they're called, the ones advertised as actually steering you toward making wine as opposed to grinding out VPs in cheesy ways)? I only play Tuscany now. Base game is really underwhelming going back to it now.

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Sep 19, 2019

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

FulsomFrank posted:

Have you ever played with the expanded visitor cards? I only play Tuscany now. Base game is really underwhelming going back to it now.

I haven't played with anything outside the base cards and anything from Tuscany EE. Do you mean the Moor Visitors or the Rhine ones?

If by Tuscany you mean the board that comes with it then yeah I will only play with that board ever again. The old board is so bad versus the Tuscany one.

Rad Valtar fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

silvergoose posted:

How else would you do it???

Go to Miniature Market and order a miniature gaming pidgeon?