Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Honestly the Heroics Paladin seems partially inspired by this logic.

Except it's win and look cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I like advantage, but I do feel it's overused. Especially since they essentially capped AC and such, it makes more sense to me to have tiers +2/+5/Advantage. Which is what I houseruled flanking to be. Basic positioning giving advantage is way too powerful. Not necessarily for the players, but for my monsters.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Can I grapple someone as an astral monk and keep beating rear end if my arms are summoned? I have two pairs at that point.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Nasgate posted:

I like advantage, but I do feel it's overused. Especially since they essentially capped AC and such, it makes more sense to me to have tiers +2/+5/Advantage. Which is what I houseruled flanking to be. Basic positioning giving advantage is way too powerful. Not necessarily for the players, but for my monsters.

Advantage maths out to be statistically equivalent to about +5 on average rolls and +2 on difficult ones. Also if you don't like Advantage why are you using flanking?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Nasgate posted:

The weird thing about advantage is that its effect on your odds of success are tricky to calculate. Like, if they have an AC of 16 and I have a +4 to hit then I have about 40% odds to hit. If I have advantage then how does that change my odds? It's definitely doable to calculate but not nearly as easy as a straightforward addition/subtraction.

Advantage also has relatively little effect at the extreme ends of the scale. If my wizard needs to make a DC20 STR check, then having advantage doesn't substantially improve his odds.

I like Kaiser Schnitzel's idea of just handing out additional die-based modifiers. I haven't thought deeply about it though.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The weird thing about advantage is that its effect on your odds of success are tricky to calculate. Like, if they have an AC of 16 and I have a +4 to hit then I have about 40% odds to hit. If I have advantage then how does that change my odds? It's definitely doable to calculate but not nearly as easy as a straightforward addition/subtraction.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nasgate posted:

I normally use Advantage normally, but I have Flanking as just a plain +2 so that it's a bonus, but not a massive one like advantage.

change my name posted:

Can I grapple someone as an astral monk and keep beating rear end if my arms are summoned? I have two pairs at that point.

I would say yeah, cause it's cool.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

The fact that people made a table to tell you how advantage/disadvantage affects your odds rather proves my point, doesn't it?

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

I like that advantage won't do much to fatten a slim chance, so you can't easily brute force a tall order just by stacking bonuses.

On the other hand, it's clear they had an idea on how to hand out other types of bonuses in the form of Inspiration and Blessing, and then they just... dropped it almost completely. I might start trying out bonus dice as a supplement/replacement for advantage in my own campaign, though.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

The fact that people made a table to tell you how advantage/disadvantage affects your odds rather proves my point, doesn't it?

No, because the actual values don't matter.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Oath of Heroism is so perfect for my current character my DM and I just decided I could switch.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Nope, that’s good practice for any dice system. Probability isn’t intuitive and visualizing distributions or at least comparing tables is always a good idea.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
I just DM'd a great session last night that I want to share because it felt like great D&D.

I've described the party and setting before, but basically it's a group of 6-7 colleagues who are mostly completely new to D&D. I ran them through Sunless Citadel 1-3 to learn the ropes and then started them on my own adventure, an intrigue/murder mystery type deal.

They arrive to the capital of the kingdom they've so far resided in to learn that the king is suffering from a strange illness and is dying. Rumours around town are that the royal doctor thinks he's got about a week to live. In the city are some minor characters and two major players: the Borghese family, who are old money and run a slavers' market as their primary source of income, and the Tinker family, who are (very) new money and run a smith and a bank. The players learn that the two families have historically been at odds, but that they have started to establish more friendly relations lately.

There are some minor secrets the players can find to use as leverage (a daughter of the Borghese family is in love with the son of the Tinker family, the king has a bastard) but mainly the goal is to find out what's going on with the king and possibly save him.

The players learned last session that the Borghese family used to sell child slaves on their market too, but stopped doing this a couple of years ago. At some point, a couple of players in the group decided that there must be a connection between this and the king's illness.

They tried snooping around, tried bribing slavers' market guards and even tried to approach the Borghese family directly and buy a child slave to gauge their reaction, and all they really learned from that was that the Borghese family still acquired child slaves but sold them all, in secret, to a single buyer.

One of the players called out "they're sacrificing them for blood magic!" which is exactly correct, though they didn't know who was doing this and to what ends.

To get to the bottom of this, the slightly unlucky and so far ineffective gnome wizard used Disguise Self to turn himself into a human child, swallowed the party's Ring of Tracking (a magic ring that when attuned lets the attunee know where it is for 24 hours) and then two other party members sold him to the Borghese family.

He was packed into a concealed crate in the back room of the Slavers Market and the Cleric, who was attuned to the ring, then received real-time updates about where the crate was being moved to. I've previously made a map of the city and the players have identified and visited all major hotspots of the city at this point, so they were very curious to see, where the crate was going.

In a separate room, I revealed to the Wizard that he saw light again when the box was opened in a cellar, at which point he saw two old men, one of which he recognized as the head of the Tinker family. He was thrown in a cage that already held two other children, and he overheard the two men say, that they would sacrifice all three children the next morning.

The other players didn't know about this time table, so when I described the transport carrying the crate turning off towards the Tinker villa, everyone gasped and panicked. They engaged on an impromptu late-night rescue mission to get their gnome friend (who at this point had turned back into a gnome, after the captors had left) out. They managed to save both their party member and the two children right before we ended the session. I hope next time that the players pull just a couple more strings to learn the truth:

The recent wealth of the Tinker family comes from using blood magic to craft powerful magic weapons and armor, which is why they have negotiated for exclusive rights to child slaves with the Borghese family. Both families have initially gained wealth and power from this move, leading to them colluding to poison the king to then vie for power over the kingdom.

I realized too late that much of what I was setting the players up to do would realistically be better suited for much higher level players than 3-4, but I've tried to dial back expectations a bit by making it clear that this is a tiny kingdom with little outside influence. Once the king is either saved or replaced, a northern kingdom will go to war against the campaign kingdom, and the players will ultimately lose that war, to help teach them that they are not, yet, all-powerful.

But really, I just loved that I was playing a game with colleagues and friends where one (my direct supervisor) described turning himself into an 8-year old boy and swallowing a magic ring so his friends could sell him into slavery.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

They both seem fine to play but I'm bummed about the Bard. I've wanted to do an orator bard before and this doesn't really feel like it grabs me. Bard is already a class really focused on the crunch and this feels like more of the same.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I just read that Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron is getting updated with the Artificer class in November, but with only one subclass. Have they specified which? It's pretty likely that it'll be one of the three going into RFtLW, but I'm wondering if there's a chance Wayfinder's will end up with Archivist.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

The Mash posted:

But really, I just loved that I was playing a game with colleagues and friends where one (my direct supervisor) described turning himself into an 8-year old boy and swallowing a magic ring so his friends could sell him into slavery.

I just want to imagine this line without context.

The Mash posted:

Once the king is either saved or replaced, a northern kingdom will go to war against the campaign kingdom, and the players will ultimately lose that war, to help teach them that they are not, yet, all-powerful.

The current Kingdom sounds like an rear end in a top hat what with the major players being slavers and blood magic creeps. So I doubt many will mourn it.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 18, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I just read that Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron is getting updated with the Artificer class in November, but with only one subclass. Have they specified which? It's pretty likely that it'll be one of the three going into RFtLW, but I'm wondering if there's a chance Wayfinder's will end up with Archivist.

Alchemist.

The three full classes will be Alchemist, Artillerist, and Battlesmith.

Homunculus will now be available to all Artificers and Artillerist is going to get some of the Gunsmiths stuff, from what I heard.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Expedious Retreat really should've been renamed to just "Expedite" or "Swiftness" or something because hoo boy it's a dumb name for a spell that almost never gets used to retreat but muh tradishuns

you do know what edition you're playing right

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Advantage also has relatively little effect at the extreme ends of the scale. If my wizard needs to make a DC20 STR check, then having advantage doesn't substantially improve his odds.

I like Kaiser Schnitzel's idea of just handing out additional die-based modifiers. I haven't thought deeply about it though.
Chance to hit = 100 - (chance to miss * chance to miss)
With disadvantage it's chance to hit * chance to hit

I don't like advantage because it lacks granularity and as a result is oversaturated, but statewise it's pretty straightforward

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Alchemist.

The three full classes will be Alchemist, Artillerist, and Battlesmith.

Homunculus will now be available to all Artificers and Artillerist is going to get some of the Gunsmiths stuff, from what I heard.

I was really hoping that they weren't gonna stick with the pet features. Cool that some of the gunsmith stuff is coming back though.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Haven't pets been a part of the Artificer since forever?

At least the 5e ones seem okay/useful. As someone who played a 4e artificer let me tell you: those pets were not what I was thinking of when I took the class.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
It's interesting that they went that route (Artillerist = gunsmith) because one of the best ways to play an Artificer right now, at least in a low-level game, is a Battlesmith with a heavy crossbow (or gun, campaign permitting), stacking the Repeating Weapon infusion, the Arcane Weapon spell, and (spec-granted) Smites and being a ranged DPS machine with some utility and a decent pet.

If Artillerist becomes the new gunsmith spec, I guess they'll just lean more into Battlesmith being an explicitly melee-combat oriented one or something? I don't deny that Artillerist sucked rear end in the last version, both conceptually and mechanically, but I'm sad to see Archivist abandoned instead of being tuned.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Cthulu Carl posted:

Expeditious Retreat seems to makes sense too if you view it as "charging into the thick of battle"/"Swooping in to rescue an ally in need"

For sure. And also there's the example of the Marathon.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

mango sentinel posted:

Advantage maths out to be statistically equivalent to about +5 on average rolls and +2 on difficult ones. Also if you don't like Advantage why are you using flanking?

Which is why advantage for flanking is too powerful. Similar level cr to player level, the game has been made so that accuracy and AC meet well enough so everyone hits regularly on average rolls. You could easily tpk with kobolds using advantage for flanking for quite a few levels.

I'm using flanking because D&D is designed around combat, so may as well try to make it interesting.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Doctor, it hurts when I do this...

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

MonsterEnvy posted:

I just want to imagine this line without context.

The current Kingdom sounds like an rear end in a top hat what with the major players being slavers and blood magic creeps. So I doubt many will mourn it.

The players will have the chance to influence who becomes king (or if the current King survives). If the players confront either of the two powerful families, those families will attempt to bribe or fight the players. It's up to the players whether the two dominant rear end in a top hat families still exist at the end of the adventure.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Flanking is absolutely necessary because fighters need stuff that can make them stay good in combat without needing the complexity of 4e martial classes or 3.5 charop shenanigans. The obvious solution to a kobold swarm being overpowered is to not go out of your way to tpk your players.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Flanking is decent. But as mentioned I do think Advantage is a bit too good for getting it. The simple +2 works wonders as long as it is not stacked up too much.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

rodbeard posted:

Flanking is absolutely necessary because fighters need stuff that can make them stay good in combat without needing the complexity of 4e martial classes or 3.5 charop shenanigans. The obvious solution to a kobold swarm being overpowered is to not go out of your way to tpk your players.

A person without a firm grasp of math may not understand just how powerful a group of flanking kobolds can be without some level of help. I wouldn't say it's them going out of their way, and is closer to a natural consequence. If you're using flanking rules, you have to go out of your way not to do that.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I’m just gonna start poaching abilities and stuff from 4e for my group, like minions and special actions for fighters.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

"Advantage for flanking is too powerful!" people say in a game where literally any source of Disadvantage cancels it out.

If you crave more detailed combat, this isn't the game for you. If you don't crave more detailed combat and are houseruling Advantage, you probably don't understand the game very well.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Verisimilidude posted:

I’m just gonna start poaching abilities and stuff from 4e for my group, like minions and special actions for fighters.

I tend to use the base statlines from 5E monsters with abilities and other interesting things from 4E. Or just make things entirely off of the statlines from gradenko's calculator and stapling on abilities and flavor, though sometimes if the monster already actually exists it can throw off the players if it is significantly stronger/weaker than they expected. Thankfully my table hasn't played any DND outside of our game in a decade and don't have much meta-gaming knowledge.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

homullus posted:

I cannot imagine how advantage-disadvantage is a leading cause of issues with the system. I cannot connect those dots -- what is the difference between going for advantage vs. going for more granular situational bonuses, except that the latter takes more time and math?

homullus posted:

literally any source of Disadvantage cancels it out.
Among other similar reasons why the lack of granularity is an issue

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Gharbad the Weak posted:

A person without a firm grasp of math may not understand just how powerful a group of flanking kobolds can be without some level of help. I wouldn't say it's them going out of their way, and is closer to a natural consequence. If you're using flanking rules, you have to go out of your way not to do that.

They don't even need to flank - all you need is a single kobold marching forward and now all his friends can shoot you with advantage from behind cover.

homullus posted:

"Advantage for flanking is too powerful!" people say in a game where literally any source of Disadvantage cancels it out.

Sources of disadvantage are nowhere near as ubiquitous as you can make flanking.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

homullus posted:

If you crave more detailed combat, this isn't the game for you. If you don't crave more detailed combat and are houseruling Advantage, you probably don't understand the game very well.

Ah yes, disadvantage, which is extremely rare compared to advantage, completely evens out being able to get advantage by moving one square. How could I have forgotten :monocle:

Verisimilidude posted:

The first time I had a unit use an ability to make their allies move, everyone lost their minds(in a good way) because I'm the only person that played 4e

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Flanking sucks because it causes the 4e conga line poo poo

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

MonsterEnvy posted:

Flanking is decent. But as mentioned I do think Advantage is a bit too good for getting it. The simple +2 works wonders as long as it is not stacked up too much.

Do you still let Rogues get sneak attack when they flank an enemy?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Epi Lepi posted:

Do you still let Rogues get sneak attack when they flank an enemy?

Well, given that if they're flanking that means an ally is adjacent by definition I would really hope so.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Conspiratiorist posted:

They don't even need to flank - all you need is a single kobold marching forward and now all his friends can shoot you with advantage from behind cover.
Sources of disadvantage are nowhere near as ubiquitous as you can make flanking.

Nasgate posted:

Ah yes, disadvantage, which is extremely rare compared to advantage, completely evens out being able to get advantage by moving one square. How could I have forgotten :monocle:

The DM has 100% control over how much the monsters flank, and enormous control over the availability of PC flanking in an encounter (as well as encounter-specific sources of disadvantage). Did you guys flunk flank or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Pendent posted:

Well, given that if they're flanking that means an ally is adjacent by definition I would really hope so.

I don't remember the wording for sneak attack but I'm guessing from your post that it specifically calls out the adjacent ally bit which makes sense since flanking is an optional rule. I just remember sneak attack as "you have it when you have advantage" so I guess I'm dumb.