Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

These foreign places sound good and all but Northern Ireland has some hills, a few trees, and oh yeah hexagonnnn rocks lol owned pentagonal foreigners

e; Even by my own standards this was one lovely snipe

2019 + 258 = 2277 which is the year Fallout 3 is set in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Like, too many times people will think "what if I'd done this or that or the other" and blame themselves, it's understandable, but it is a departure from how we used to think about it.

Obviously it's not a reasonable ask for an individual in that situation to somehow rationally decide to think about it in the manner of a different decade, but it's never someone's 'fault', and I think the driving forces behind that view of pregnancy are the same as the driving forces behind "you have to do pregnancy perfectly (and what does that say about you if you can't)" and in turn behind regressive bills to allow investigations into whether miscarriages are 'legitimate' and stuff which legitimately boils my piss. (I'm also not saying you personally did or did not look at it in that way, that's not my business, but I'm saying some people definitely do, and it's a bit messed up that the old fashioned view of "sometimes it's just not meant" is closer to medical reality and seems mentally healthier than some of the pressures we put on now.)

Sorry if I was unclear there, it's specifically the fault bit that I pin on that kind of poo poo.

Ok, doubling down on this is at the very least a bold and unexpected posting strategy. Rationally, we know it's not our fault, emotionally, we're hosed and it happens. However, picking LL's news as a cue to soapbox about what a poo poo place some parts of the world are for women's rights feels like a social miscue.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Guavanaut posted:

Like, too many times people will think "what if I'd done this or that or the other" and blame themselves, it's understandable, but it is a departure from how we used to think about it.

Obviously it's not a reasonable ask for an individual in that situation to somehow rationally decide to think about it in the manner of a different decade, but it's never someone's 'fault', and I think the driving forces behind that view of pregnancy are the same as the driving forces behind "you have to do pregnancy perfectly (and what does that say about you if you can't)" and in turn behind regressive bills to allow investigations into whether miscarriages are 'legitimate' and stuff which legitimately boils my piss. (I'm also not saying you personally did or did not look at it in that way, that's not my business, but I'm saying some people definitely do, and it's a bit messed up that the old fashioned view of "sometimes it's just not meant" is closer to medical reality and seems mentally healthier than some of the pressures we put on now.)

Sorry if I was unclear there, it's specifically the fault bit that I pin on that kind of poo poo.

I'm sorry to dig back into this, but the problem as I see it, having read books on grief like the Baby Loss guide, is historically miscarriages weren't viewed as anything at all. They were this silent traumatic event that happened to people that nobody talked about. (Likely because it was a "woman's problem" and our male society doesn't want to dwell on this. Also it's something that makes us sad, so let's not think about anything that causes emotions unless they are an approved emotion like happiness or anger.)

Not talking about it, or not thinking about it doesn't seem helpful, because it is a traumatic event that happens to the parents (sadly, sometimes it's the mother alone who goes through this. Often it will be both parents.) They do learn that they are pregnant, and begin making plans and bonding over the idea of a child when the tragedy can strike. And it hurts.
It hurts a lot. And the best way to understand that pain is to think about it.
It also allows them to mourn the loss of the child that they thought they would have, but don't get to experience at all.

And yes, from a medical point of view what happens is very often outside the control of the parents. It is very often just a cruel twist of fate, or mother nature being capricious.
But our human brains, when we try and think and unpack tragedies. And in so doing we think of all the things that we could have done differently, as a coping mechanism.

When my wife and I lost our baby, I had a Dad Joke a day calendar in my bedroom. It was one of the ones where you tear off a page everyday.
I was always slow to update that thing and I had left it on the Tuesday before we lost our baby. For months after the fact I kept it on the Tuesday at the start of June because in my head if I kept it at that date I thought that if I could somehow travel through time, I could go back to that date and I might be able to fix things.

This was clearly crazy. But I couldn't bring myself to update the calendar. (When my eldest daughter asked me if she could change it, I got very upset and had to explain to her no as I wasn't ready.)
Last month after we got the results of the post mortem, we learnt that what probably killed our baby happened sometime between week 28 and week 35. It was painful, but I got a tiny measure in comfort in knowing that even if I went back in time to June, I wouldn't have been able to save her. Since the damage was done at a different point to the one I was obsessing over.

And again, as mad as that sounds. It really helped me to move past that fact. Mourning is weird.

Saying "sometimes it's not meant to be" might be true from a rational point of view. But from an emotional point of view it is very close to "it didn't really happen" or "it's not a real lose." It diminishes the pain a parent feels by making it seem that they didn't lose a real child.
It's best to let parents grieve and come to terms with what happened to them and not minimize the loss.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Good news everyone!

https://twitter.com/ChrisDaviesLD/status/1174264651368083456?s=19

Now it just remains for Boris to break the law by not sending the letter!

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
come to yorkshire, it's loving bleak and we're all miserable

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Continuity RCP posted:

Your pitch needs work.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Good news everyone!

https://twitter.com/ChrisDaviesLD/status/1174264651368083456?s=19

Now it just remains for Boris to break the law by not sending the letter!

Well that's nice but it's not up to the european parliament to grant us an extension, it's the european council that decides.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I love that in the last few days we've had journalists calling up people's parents to tell them their son is HIV positive, dredging up stories about murders from years ago for shock-factor headlines, and now trying to cast a guy with a sick baby as the bad guy for standing up to Boris (bonus points cos he has a foreign name). Just wondering what they'll follow it up with, they'll probably start calling people monkeys again.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

It's somewhat cathartic to imagine Malcom Tucker full volley at Laura K.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

marktheando posted:

Well that's nice but it's not up to the european parliament to grant us an extension, it's the european council that decides.

Sure, but it does hopefully indicate a sentiment or suggest some pressure might be applied, that's not a narrow margin after all.

Marmaduke! posted:

I love that in the last few days we've had journalists calling up people's parents to tell them their son is HIV positive, dredging up stories about murders from years ago for shock-factor headlines, and now trying to cast a guy with a sick baby as the bad guy for standing up to Boris (bonus points cos he has a foreign name). Just wondering what they'll follow it up with, they'll probably start calling people monkeys again.

Honestly dying over here for Leveson 2

Catboy Autonomist
Jun 23, 2018

IS IT SUPWISING THAT PWISONS WESEMBWE FACTOWIES, SCHOOWS, WHICH AWW WESEMBWE PWISONS?
https://twitter.com/mccaulnews/status/1174438309596160000

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Funny as this idiot is I'm not sure how valid it is to post some rando's hot takes when they have fewer followers than I do

Catboy Autonomist
Jun 23, 2018

IS IT SUPWISING THAT PWISONS WESEMBWE FACTOWIES, SCHOOWS, WHICH AWW WESEMBWE PWISONS?

Ms Adequate posted:

Funny as this idiot is I'm not sure how valid it is to post some rando's hot takes when they have fewer followers than I do

He is an actual reporter from BBC Scotland it seems, albeit not a very well-known one

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Catboy Autonomist posted:

He is an actual reporter from BBC Scotland it seems, albeit not a very well-known one

Oh lol well in that case comment retracted, carry on! Absolute numpties that they are.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Gatts posted:

Do yourselves a favor and if you wanna visit North America, consider Alaska or the Canadian Rockies and Banff National Park. They're fantastic and in my opinion the most beautiful place on Earth and I've been to the Fiji Islands too.

Visit the dying planet before it's gone eh.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Spectacular self owning by the BBC there. Shes literally in breach of their own social media code.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

*Laura K wriggles out of the jam easily*

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

At least on the plus side John Humphrys is loving off from the Today programme after today.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Continuity RCP posted:

come to Bristol, it's loving wet and we're all on drugs

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
as beautiful as that area is, the problem with Banff is that its overrun with tourists, Banff the town itself is in near gridlock when its busy and there’s almost no off-peak season any more

(also Monster Munch pickled onion > *)

ROFLBOT fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Sep 19, 2019

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Argentina has a lot going for it in the dramatic landscape department, but they definitely don't advertise that you have to cross endless, flat, featureless grasslands to get there.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

ROFLBOT posted:

as beautiful as that area is, the problem with Banff is that its overrun with tourists, Banff the town itself is in near gridlock when its busy and there’s almost no off-peak season any more

(also Monster Munch pickled onion > *)

That’s a shame. I only spent one day in Banff itself, the rest of it was around the much wider area, kayaking down the Kananaskis, climbing the glacier above Bow Lake, hiking what I think was titled the northwest passage (just on the border between Alberta and BC) and some amazing rock climbing. I’ll need to dig out the pictures for the thread next time it comes up because I can’t stress just how beautiful the place really is. Ruined Scotland for me :v:

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Tony Blair just used the words “politics at a retail level” and I have somehow managed to find a new level of hate for him that I didn’t think possible.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Just come to the original Banff in Aberdeenshire, it's not overloaded with tourists (because it's poo poo but never mind that)

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Sanitary Naptime posted:

That’s a shame. I only spent one day in Banff itself, the rest of it was around the much wider area, kayaking down the Kananaskis, climbing the glacier above Bow Lake, hiking what I think was titled the northwest passage (just on the border between Alberta and BC) and some amazing rock climbing. I’ll need to dig out the pictures for the thread next time it comes up because I can’t stress just how beautiful the place really is. Ruined Scotland for me :v:

Yep, as a Scot expat (in Australia now) that kind of scenery will never get old for me, even 50,000 pictures of mountains later

Still, plenty of quieter spots in the Rockies, it’s not all Banff and Lake Louise

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

forkboy84 posted:

Just come to the original Banff in Aberdeenshire, it's not overloaded with tourists (because it's poo poo but never mind that)

They voted for Brexit, they don't deserve tourism.

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
Just had a thought about the Laura Kuenssberg I can't shake.

Remember that incident a way back on a TV debate of sorts where it turned out that one audience member asking questions in particular was a Tory activist? I don't remember the specifics, something about him posing as something else?

I think Laura believes this is the exact same thing and either just as bad, or an excuse to say "See, Labour does it too".

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Come to Gloucester, we have some beautiful fields and an owl sanctuary that we build a sewage plant near.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

ZoninSilver posted:

Just had a thought about the Laura Kuenssberg I can't shake.

Remember that incident a way back on a TV debate of sorts where it turned out that one audience member asking questions in particular was a Tory activist? I don't remember the specifics, something about him posing as something else?

I think Laura believes this is the exact same thing and either just as bad, or an excuse to say "See, Labour does it too".

Thats every episode of Question Time where the audience questions are almost always from Tory activists or councillers.

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011

njsykora posted:

Thats every episode of Question Time where the audience questions are almost always from Tory activists or councillers.

Yeah true, there was just one particularly eregious case that sprung to mind which I feel like they've got hazed on more than usual.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Continuity RCP posted:

Counter point: don't come to Yorkshire. It's loving bleak and we're all miserable.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Apropos yesterday's discussion on twitter algorithms, am signed in on a different gadget with a different Twitter name and can't believe the comments on this tweet! (On this gadget I normally use Twitter to ask HMRC questions. Does that mean it has assumed I'm a Tory?)

https://twitter.com/JonAshworth/status/1174430786738675712

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Sep 19, 2019

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Apropos yesterday's discussion on twitter algorithms, am signed in on a different gadget with a different Twitter name and can't believe the comments on this tweet! (On this gadget I normally use Twitter to ask HMRC questions. Does that mean it has assumed I'm a Tory?)

https://twitter.com/JonAshworth/status/1174430786738675712

I spent a bit of time on this yesterday.

If you go deep into your twitter settings, you can find a big list of everything Twitter thinks you're interested in. The trouble is that there's no sentiment analysis, so if you spend a lot of time looking at or reading stuff - not even liking or retweeting the posts - it'll tag you as being interested in that stuff. I had three separate entries for 'Brexit' and pretty much every front bench tory MP listed as interests.

You can go through and untick them but I doubt it does any good. Might be :tinfoil: but I suspect they're quicker to tag people with right wing stuff because there are more marketers trying to target that audience, so Twitter does everything they can to boost the numbers in their audience pools.

Someone else said to use Tweetdeck. Not sure if that helps or not.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

It probably won't completely fix it but definitely turn off all the personalisation settings you can and in the star thingy set it to latest tweets instead of top tweets

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Last time I went to Bristol I had a lovely time. Drugs: check. Kissing: check.

I don't remember if it rained.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

marktheando posted:

No, you need the EP for this stuff too - Brexit is a joint decision process. This is why you see scumlord Guy Verhofstadt everywhere during Brexit.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Question IRL posted:

I'm sorry to dig back into this, but the problem as I see it, having read books on grief like the Baby Loss guide, is historically miscarriages weren't viewed as anything at all. They were this silent traumatic event that happened to people that nobody talked about. (Likely because it was a "woman's problem" and our male society doesn't want to dwell on this. Also it's something that makes us sad, so let's not think about anything that causes emotions unless they are an approved emotion like happiness or anger.)

Not talking about it, or not thinking about it doesn't seem helpful, because it is a traumatic event that happens to the parents (sadly, sometimes it's the mother alone who goes through this. Often it will be both parents.) They do learn that they are pregnant, and begin making plans and bonding over the idea of a child when the tragedy can strike. And it hurts.
It hurts a lot. And the best way to understand that pain is to think about it.
It also allows them to mourn the loss of the child that they thought they would have, but don't get to experience at all.

And yes, from a medical point of view what happens is very often outside the control of the parents. It is very often just a cruel twist of fate, or mother nature being capricious.
But our human brains, when we try and think and unpack tragedies. And in so doing we think of all the things that we could have done differently, as a coping mechanism.

When my wife and I lost our baby, I had a Dad Joke a day calendar in my bedroom. It was one of the ones where you tear off a page everyday.
I was always slow to update that thing and I had left it on the Tuesday before we lost our baby. For months after the fact I kept it on the Tuesday at the start of June because in my head if I kept it at that date I thought that if I could somehow travel through time, I could go back to that date and I might be able to fix things.

This was clearly crazy. But I couldn't bring myself to update the calendar. (When my eldest daughter asked me if she could change it, I got very upset and had to explain to her no as I wasn't ready.)
Last month after we got the results of the post mortem, we learnt that what probably killed our baby happened sometime between week 28 and week 35. It was painful, but I got a tiny measure in comfort in knowing that even if I went back in time to June, I wouldn't have been able to save her. Since the damage was done at a different point to the one I was obsessing over.

And again, as mad as that sounds. It really helped me to move past that fact. Mourning is weird.

Saying "sometimes it's not meant to be" might be true from a rational point of view. But from an emotional point of view it is very close to "it didn't really happen" or "it's not a real lose." It diminishes the pain a parent feels by making it seem that they didn't lose a real child.
It's best to let parents grieve and come to terms with what happened to them and not minimize the loss.
Thanks for posting this. Mourning is weird. What gets me is the blaming though, like nobody (other than poo poo people) would go up to someone else and go "aha! you did this thing wrong at that date so you deserve it" and yet too many women (and sometimes men, but disproportionately women) will beat themselves up over that. Is self blame just a natural part of the mourning or is it something that our 'perfect pregnancy' society pushes on people?

Like it seems a radical departure from the way that my nan would think about it compared to younger members of my family (spoilering in case people don't want to read 1940's pregnancy loss views) "Oh everyone gets one or two bad ones for every good one, it's just how it is, and when I was young if you weren't married you'd do anything to hope it was a bad one, but they're not real children, they're things that weren't meant." That's blunt and probably callous by modern standards, but for a woman born poor in the 1920s with no formal science education it's not a hundred miles away from what jabby said about fetal viability as an actual doctor, and I can't help but contrast that to people very close to me who have annually beaten themselves up mentally in comparison.

Of course I don't think that someone in 2019 can or should beep boop their way into thinking like a woman in the 1940s, and there's all kinds of reasons why women in the past wouldn't regard it as a child until you can hold it that we probably shouldn't go back to, but I also can't help but think that our current way of thinking with week planners and gender reveals puts far more pressure on people, does that result in a greater sense of loss and/or self blame when it doesn't go right compared to "historically miscarriages weren't viewed as anything at all"?

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Surely a Tory would avoid the HMRC?

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Ms Adequate posted:

tbf I don't think Blyth sets out to make any statements about "ought", he's entirely concerned with explaining what he sees as "is" and "will be". And in that lens his analysis is coherent; the global north won't give two shits if half of Bangladesh sinks into the Bay of Bengal and Africa undergoes massive desertification, but when the flood waters start doing real and lasting damage in London and New York gets flattened by a hurricane then we'll start seeing real changes even within the capitalist system.

I mean I don't think that's entirely plausible on its own merits because Katrina and Michael and Florence sure don't seem to have done that and major American cities have been practically wiped out, and it certainly doesn't mean capitalism would succeed in its attempts.
Sure, Blyth seems comfortable and optimistic with what he says 'is / will be'. The two bits I'm looking at in the video are at 1:09:47 and 1:35:55.

Part of his argument is that there will be an oscillation between (populist) left and right parties; he says either left governments will succeed in improving things and thereby persuade people to keep voting for them, or we'll have increasingly rapid oscillation between left and right with eventual failure and collapse. The problem with this, as I see it, is the time lag between emission and effect (given here as 40 years). If he's right, then by the time the first Serious Crisis Event hits in the global north (required by his model) and climate change becomes a big enough problem to receive immediate and massive attention, there will be 40 years of worsening conditions already baked in, in addition to the damage from the 15 years he predicts before the Event actually occurs.

If the left is in power at that point, it'll have to be net extracting enough CO2 to stop the effects of the CO2 backlog causing worse conditions that'll trigger a shift back to the right (again, by his model). And, well, if the left isn't in power, that's worse conditions and more CO2 for them to handle when the oscillation brings them in, because the right won't improve things. Also you have to have the left in place in all 3 of EU, US, China, or any left-wing government will additionally have to compensate for the lack of effort from the right-wing ones. And it depends on either having extraction technology available before the Event (which under his model has to result from market mechanisms), or it being easy to move into research then through to full production and installation in order to show real improvement before the oscillation starts, while dealing with the damage continuing to mount from the emissions >40 years ago.

Assuming the Event happens in ~2035, you're looking at net extraction of 20GT CO2 pa from 1995 in 2035 going kind of linear-ish-ly up to 35GT pa from present day, then with present plans to halve emissions by 2050, you're back to ~25GT pa from 2035 by 2075. That is a big loving ask.

imo the lack of 'ought' is a problem. As it is, he's given a binary - either it works because economics or we all die. There's no room for anything outside the expected, no non-market influence, no cross-community solidarity with bottom-up change, no space for any sort of liberation or systemic transformation, just this demarcation of possibility. Maybe he thinks non-macro-level influence is impossible, and it's all deterministic? Reminds me a bit of the armchair ultraleft types - we just wait, and it all works itself out, it's a grand march of history driven by markets (only without the ultraleft optimism).

(also, implying the global south doesn't count and can't be an influence leaves a bad taste in the mouth coming from a rich white guy who likely won't suffer at all)

Guavanaut posted:

That's why I think standpoint often works better than lived experience, as in "no trans research or legislation without starting from a trans standpoint" and so on, within a proletarian society.
Standpoint is also quite important wrt climate issues; e.g. atmospheric aerosols for geoengineered cooling could have serious effects on rice crops in southeast Asia, potentially causing famines among those dependent on rice for daily diet - won't be taken into account if the western Magical Tech Solution crowd are the dominant voices, it needs others who'll be affected involved too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Yougovs latest poll is out and the libdem fight back is still on

The bbc and the rest of the media will use this to ignore Labour during an election won't they? Use it as some sort of loophole I mean.