Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Less where to eat, more where to drink. My friends and I are celebrating handing in our masters theses on Friday, and looking to get casual food and then drink. Preferably not too pricey. Looking vaguely central/south of the river, given where we're all coming from. Suggestions? Mercato Metropolitano and Peckham Levels were considered, but we've done them on previous occasions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Given your dismissed options, one of the BoxParks?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

BizarroAzrael posted:

Given your dismissed options, one of the BoxParks?

Ah, good call.

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008

tarbrush posted:

Ah, good call.

Pop Brixton is also good if you're looking for food market type places

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Also good, thanks!

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Any of the Dinarama group's locations? Sounds like Hawker House would suit you.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

It's my partner's 30th this weekend, taking her to see Hamilton and staying overnight in London Friday to Sunday, near Great Portland Street.

I have pre- and post-Hamilton wrapped up (Dishoom by request and the Bar Americain at Zedel because I've been talking about it for years), but what is easy and good around Fitzrovia? Avoiding having to queue is a big plus.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I love Josephine’s on Charlotte Street. It’s a Filipino restaurant, and I’ve never had a bad meal there.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

I love Josephine’s on Charlotte Street. It’s a Filipino restaurant, and I’ve never had a bad meal there.

Sell me on it - I have very mixed experiences with Filipino.

edit: not that it really means anything but the first review when i google it is 1-star.

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008
I just went down a rabbit hole of reading Josephine's reviews out of curiosity, as it's been on my to-try list for a while, and it looks like the owner takes the time to answer every 1 star review with a wall of text of sputtering accusations and insults, so it may be worth visiting just for the entertainment.

That said, there's quite a lot around Fitzrovia. Salt Yard on Goodge St for tapas, Lima for Peruvian though I think a bit spendier and will need reservations at either of those two. Looks like a Vagabond wines has just opened on Charlotte St, which usually has good small plates and gimmicky but wide selection of wine dispensers you pay for with a pre loaded card.

Edit: the best fried chicken I've ever had was at Vagabond in Battersea, which was brined and cooked sous vide before flash frying, so incredibly tender and juicy inside and crispy outside. They don't have it any more.

Artificial Idiocy fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Sep 19, 2019

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Artificial Idiocy posted:

I just went down a rabbit hole of reading Josephine's reviews out of curiosity, as it's been on my to-try list for a while, and it looks like the owner takes the time to answer every 1 star review with a wall of text of sputtering accusations and insults, so it may be worth visiting just for the entertainment.

That said, there's quite a lot around Fitzrovia. Salt Yard on Goodge St for tapas, Lima for Peruvian though I think a bit spendier and will need reservations at either of those two. Looks like a Vagabond wines has just opened on Charlotte St, which usually has good small plates and gimmicky but wide selection of wine dispensers you pay for with a pre loaded card.

Edit: the best fried chicken I've ever had was at Vagabond in Battersea, which was brined and cooked sous vide before flash frying, so incredibly tender and juicy inside and crispy outside. They don't have it any more.

That Vagabond has been around for years. It’s very nice. Salt Yard is great. Honey & Co is great but needs reservations. They’ve got a sister place; I’m sure same applies. You’re going to have trouble finding good and no reservation needed.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Thirding Salt Yard, you won’t be disappointed.

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008

therattle posted:

That Vagabond has been around for years. It’s very nice. Salt Yard is great. Honey & Co is great but needs reservations. They’ve got a sister place; I’m sure same applies. You’re going to have trouble finding good and no reservation needed.

Ah I lived on Charlotte St. about 6 years ago, and worked in Oxford circus until 3 years ago; didn't remember it being there then, but don't spend as much time in central London anymore. I probably walked past dozens of times and just never noticed.

And agree, Honey & Co and sister Honey & Smoke are both excellent. Normally I'm not a big dessert person, but would make an exception here. Many of them have a savoury or salty balance as well, like the feta cheesecake, or bitter coffee granita on another dessert. Definitely book, they aren't very big.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Vlex posted:

Sell me on it - I have very mixed experiences with Filipino.

edit: not that it really means anything but the first review when i google it is 1-star.

Doesn’t sound like it’s worth justifying it to you, honestly.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Lantana is still very good if you want a breakfast place.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

Doesn’t sound like it’s worth justifying it to you, honestly.

Sounds like you might be the owner.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I looked at the google reviews for that Filipino place - I don't have a dog in this fight, never tried it - but the owner has essay length meltdown for every low score review, it's pretty funny. Never seen anything like it.

quote:

Make your mind up Dave! First he complains about the generous portions then he he says it isn't? Lay off the beer Dave. He can't stop thinking about us! Keep talking ,we'll just post photos of all the customers eating here!

Just because we're from another country means you can bully us on here Dave, we actually stand up against you. If you had a problem with us you should have told us to our faces at the time instead of hiding on the internet. That way we could have fixed the problem you had or taken criticism. People tell us improvements all the time and we act on them that's why we've got the photos to prove it Dave!

Take a look at all the photos of all the customers coming here in the photosection now! How you like that Dave! We treat them with the same amount or respect and service that we did you including the Philippine Ambassador and his party

Take a look at the photos now!

Dave had a really condescending attitude inside the restaurant and he has one here now. Most of our customers are decent, respectful people who are our regulars who don't cause trouble. Unlike Dave

Have you been drinking again Dave? The red horse you had was 7% Alcohol. Can you handle it?

Everyone check the photos for the portion sizes at our restaurant. We're going to keep serving the same generous portion sizes as we have done for 23 years. 23 years serving the same style of food Dave. How you like that?

You greedy man! You had a Starter, Main Course and Dessert, for the small price of 14.95 each!
Both of you did! 3 Courses each! Plus the beer! Did the beer go to your head?
We remember you had a very sarcastic tone from the moment you sat down. What small town are you from that behaves like that? Come down to London and bigger cities more! Just because we're from another country dosent mean you can bully us

Everyone check the food photos for the portions of food that serve on our menu. This guy is just showing off to his girlfriend because she seems easily impressed by his sarcastic tone. Check the candid photos of the food we make everyday. Large portions of food, made fresh and daily ready to eat

Josephine's Filipino Restaurant
4 Charlotte Street, Fitzrovia, London W1T 2LP

Telephone number 02075806551

quote:

Trust the Photos of REAL Customers and Finished Food Plates in the photosection now!

Josephine's Filipino Restaurant London
4 Charlotte Street,
London W1T 2LP
Telephone 02075806551

We LOVE reviews like this!
We always laugh about them with our REAL customers and is sometimes the reason they actually come here!
The real life ones in the photosection

Trust the photos of smiling customers with empty plates from all the food they've been eating and from having a good time here

We ALWAYS ask the customers how the food is and our customers tell us the truth! If they like it, great! Carry on chowing down. If they don't we ask why and change it for something they actually like!

That's why we were laughing at this review. We asked all our customers last night how the food was and they liked it! We trust talking to real customers in real life and we trust the real customers with empty food plates in rhe photosection

Everyone have a look at them now!

Check out the groups of people eating the food in the candid photos. We might show new customers and regulars your review just to have a good laugh and post another photo of another group enjoying themselves!

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to advertise ourselves and rhe photosection!

Josephine's Filipino Restaurant
London W1T 2LP

TELEPHONE 02075806551

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

To be fair though, portions are huge.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The_Doctor posted:

To be fair though, portions are huge.

Not to Dave.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

therattle posted:

Not to Dave.

That whole thing gave me a real League of Gentlemen vibe.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Anyone else psyched for the new Davies and Brook place opening at Claridge's later this year?

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Josephine's! Come for the big portions, stay to nervously laugh at bad reviews with the entertaining but unhinged owner.

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
I'll be in London with my wife for a week at the beginning of October. We try to spend most of our vacations either eating or walking around in order to build up an appetite to eat again. We like just about every kind of food, and are interested in anything from street food to casual dining to Michelin starred restaurants, as long as they are good She will be quite pregnant, and has some dietary restrictions as a result, but we've put together a list of some restaurants that I wanted to get goon opinion on. We will be staying near Russell square and will be going throughout london during the week.

The Gilbert Scott for Sunday roast
Afternoon tea at the mirror room
Momo
HIDE
Glasshouse

We are also looking for something in between Fulham and the West End to do a late lunch/early dinner, as we have a Fulham FC game followed by a show.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Kim Justice posted:

Josephine's! Come for the big portions, stay to nervously laugh at bad reviews with the entertaining but unhinged owner.

Basil Fawlty is alive and well.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
Sorry if this has been posted before.

Brasserie Zedel right by Piccadilly Circus is a great place. It's not particulary expensive, but it a really good place. French brasserie, in an underground deco dining room, get building and atmosphere.

https://www.brasseriezedel.com/

Their beef bourgignon is fantastic.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Yeah it's lovely, it's the go-to "where shall I take my parents?" recommendation for the thread.

Bar Americain down in the same place is very nice too.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Yeah, Zedel is amazing, and I don’t think I’ve had a bad meal.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
The love for Brasserie Zedel is interesting, I've only been once and it was fine but decidedly 'fine' as opposed to good or very good. Nice environment though.

Hutzpah posted:

We are also looking for something in between Fulham and the West End to do a late lunch/early dinner, as we have a Fulham FC game followed by a show.
Not sure if the menu might be tricky for pregnancy requirements (though it looks like they have vegan options), but if you wanted something a little unusual then this place has always looked decent and is a fairly quick bus ride from Fulham: Rabbit, Chelsea.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Agreed. The place is really memorable, but I can’t remember a thing about the food.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

I love Brasserie Zedel and specifically the Bar Americain, but after a day walking around and seeing a show yesterday we didn't feel up for queueing for (an admittedly very nice) cocktail. Love their negronis.

Had dinner at Honey & Smoke in Fitzrovia, highly recommend the meze.

Edit: we both followed the meze with the grilled lamb chops and :drat:

Vlex fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Sep 22, 2019

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

My wife and I had positive reviews of Flat Iron, which we grabbed before seeing a show at the Palladium when we visited this past spring. I don’t know where it ranks on the touristy scale, but the price point was good for a meat+sides+drinks dinner.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Do they still do free ice cream too?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Not at the one we went to, but I’m still thinking about the delicious, meaty, and free popcorn tossed in beef drippings.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I’ve been to the Covent Garden one, and when you go back upstairs there’s a little ice cream stand. Good steak as well though, especially for the price.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I’ve had a few lunches at Flat Iron. Pretty good. Good good, decent value.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

The deep fried burger is 10x better than the steak. But the steak is still good.

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
I just got back from London and the really memorable meals were Salt Yard, Nopi, and Dishoom. We also went to Monmouth coffee like a half dozen times because they make a great filter coffee and my wife is in love with their almond croissants.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Artificial Idiocy posted:

Anyway if anyone has an opinion on Lurra would be appreciated, otherwise I know I can't go wrong with Hawksmoor.

Waaaay late to this but I've been to Lurra and had a big steak to share a couple of times and it's really good. Not sure it's "better" than Hawksmoor but definitely worth a go.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I am going to see The Mousetrap in St. Martin's theater on a Saturday. Do you guys have any tips for a pre-theatre dinner in the area? Nothing too fancy, preferably around 50 £ per person w/o drinks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Not sure if it comes up in the thread much, but Noble Rot jumped pretty high on my list of favorite places to eat in London over the holidays. Got around to trying Seabird as well, which was pretty good but probably not worth the money. I got to try most of the menu at Davies and Brook and there is some amazing stuff there, even if they're still working out some of the details on service and other new opening hiccups.