Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Best Friends posted:

I hope they rebalance abilities. Mandatory bulwark is no good

They really only have two options: nerf it into the ground or delete it entirely. Bulwark is just too good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I really don't understand why they refuse to accept that Bulwark can't be a first tier skill. At least if it was the second Guts skill there'd be a opportunity cost associated with it. It probably would still need to be balanced vs the other 2nd tier skills, but it wouldn't be such an obvious no-brainer.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Because the game is balanced around the assumption that everyone has bulwark and if you took that away then most missions would suddenly become horrendously difficult.

It's a problem that needs to be fixed in game 2 where HBS can do a full pass on the combat system.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Just don't take it, makes the game way more fun. The only pilots of mine that have it are ronin that come with it

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
It wouldnt be so crucial if you could have more than 4 mechs at once or ever

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Alchenar posted:

Bit of a shrug. Will be back when we know more about Heavy Metal.

I hope it's less underwhelming than Urban Warfare was. The map is cool but chugs hard and ECM is pretty whatever in practice

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I've rarely had to ragequit the game, but failing an artillery beacon mission because you did everything except evac in time is seriously annoying. I had one legged mech that was just outside the zone on the last turn, and I couldn't find the eject button in the UI. :mad:

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Bubbacub posted:

I've rarely had to ragequit the game, but failing an artillery beacon mission because you did everything except evac in time is seriously annoying. I had one legged mech that was just outside the zone on the last turn, and I couldn't find the eject button in the UI. :mad:

yeah this happened to me the other day and i havent played since

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I haven't played this since a couple of playthroughs at release and have been thinking of giving it another spin. What's the consensus on the DLCs, worth getting and do they go on sale ever/often? Do I need them if I want to play that big full inner sphere mod I read about?

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Bubbacub posted:

Yeah, the eject button is just a tiny little button in the lower left where your mech portrait is, took me forever before I even knew it was there. That said, the guaranteed failure on the artillery beacon missions is the most bullshit thing. Drop a lance of mechs on me for being too slow or something, not that poo poo.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title
The automatic mission failure in the beacon missions is complete and total bullshit, but its part of a larger problem.

The game doesn't have a "phyrric victory" outcome. I.e. in beacon missions, assassination missions, base destruction missions, etc., you can destroy the target, but still fail because your lance got wiped even though you fulfilled the contract. There should be a victory condition where you complete the contract, get all the money/reputation, but like don't have access to salvage or something if your lance gets wiped.

On the flip side, its also total bullshit (but in the player's favor) that you can just hit the magic withdraw button and all of the enemy mechs let your guys walk off the field like good clanners or something.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Organ Fiend posted:

The automatic mission failure in the beacon missions is complete and total bullshit, but its part of a larger problem.

The game doesn't have a "phyrric victory" outcome. I.e. in beacon missions, assassination missions, base destruction missions, etc., you can destroy the target, but still fail because your lance got wiped even though you fulfilled the contract. There should be a victory condition where you complete the contract, get all the money/reputation, but like don't have access to salvage or something if your lance gets wiped.

On the flip side, its also total bullshit (but in the player's favor) that you can just hit the magic withdraw button and all of the enemy mechs let your guys walk off the field like good clanners or something.

This goon speaks Giant Robot Truths.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Organ Fiend posted:

The game doesn't have a "phyrric victory" outcome

What? Sure it does.

You can easily have a mission where you meet the objectives, but lose more in damaged and lost mechs and injured/killed pilots than you gain in pay and salvage. If not you need to turn up the difficulty.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Yeah the game is pretty easy to never lose a mech on anything under warlord difficulty. Hurt me plenty is nice because it makes taking bulwark almost useful. The bad thing about hurt me plenty is the 2+ heavy lances on 1.5 skull missions

Stravag fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 12, 2019

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Stravag posted:

Yeah the game is pretty easy to never lose a mech on anything under warlord difficulty. Hurt me plenty is nice because it makes taking bulwark almost useful. The bad thing about hurt me plenty is the 2+ heavy lances on 1.5 skull missions

What's this about "warlord" and "hurt me plenty" now?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Difficulties settings from adv difficulty settings mod. The ones past warlord named after the difficulty settings from doom come and go depending on the mod build but warlord is about 5-6 steps past vanilla hard

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh, I might try that mod out then, thanks for the info!

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

It also lets you set alot of settings easier than manually adjusting thr simgameconstant file like scrap and sell value

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Stravag posted:

Difficulties settings from adv difficulty settings mod. The ones past warlord named after the difficulty settings from doom come and go depending on the mod build but warlord is about 5-6 steps past vanilla hard

What do the increased difficulty settings do?

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

sean10mm posted:

What? Sure it does.

You can easily have a mission where you meet the objectives, but lose more in damaged and lost mechs and injured/killed pilots than you gain in pay and salvage. If not you need to turn up the difficulty.

Read the rest of the paragraph.

I'm talking about a specific scenario where the objective is to destroy something, you destroy it, but you didn't evac or wipe the field so its counted as contract non-completion.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Organ Fiend posted:

What do the increased difficulty settings do?

Increase the weight of what you see. If you dont have VIP you will probably never seen a vehicle or light mech on a halfskull mission only medium mechs and higher on warlord. If you have VIP youll see lots of behemoth uparmoreds and saladins and heavy srm carriers.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Stravag posted:

Increase the weight of what you see. If you dont have VIP you will probably never seen a vehicle or light mech on a halfskull mission only medium mechs and higher on warlord. If you have VIP youll see lots of behemoth uparmoreds and saladins and heavy srm carriers.

Don't mean to be dense, but what is VIP? Also, are you running Amechwarriors AI mod? All mediums for half-skull missions just doesn't sound playable with the AI mod, at least not with the career mode starting mechs.

Are the other vehicles part of the mod or is that another mod that it interacts with?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Vehicle Improvement Project. And every once in a while i throw in don's ai. Full strength medium lances are fine as long as you play smart. Its harder than back when stab damage mattered. Just dont run ac2s or 5s and use ppcs for the better accuracy on the 2nd shot and degrading enemy accuracy. And sensor lock and multishot for stripping evasion are the best skills ever

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Technowolf posted:

Faced this little guy in a normal mission. And yes, the gear was available for salvage (I didn't get any because I took max pay to make Darius shut up).

Yep, those are new vehicles with UW; only enemies that use + equipment against you that I know of.

Cool new thing I noticed: the latest ECM AI tweak allows enemies to Reserve against you. They never did that in the past. ECM is still ridiculously powerful but this makes it so that they're less likely to never land a shot on you.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

OAquinas posted:

Yep, those are new vehicles with UW; only enemies that use + equipment against you that I know of.

Cool new thing I noticed: the latest ECM AI tweak allows enemies to Reserve against you. They never did that in the past. ECM is still ridiculously powerful but this makes it so that they're less likely to never land a shot on you.

Apparently, the code was always there, they just flagged it off. Amechwarrior's AI mod turned it back on. That alone makes a huge difference in increasing enemy difficulty.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Organ Fiend posted:

Apparently, the code was always there, they just flagged it off. Amechwarrior's AI mod turned it back on. That alone makes a huge difference in increasing enemy difficulty.

I'm not running mods; they turned it on in stock

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

About half the turrets and vehicles added in vehicle improvement project have + or ++ weapons

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

OAquinas posted:

I'm not running mods; they turned it on in stock

Yeah, I get that. I was just noting that they finally did in stock what was already done in mods.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Yeah according to test reports the AI now handles ECM pretty well, if you reserve they reserve right back and when they move they come right for the ECM field.

That's almost how it should be, the Raven should be very powerful when kept safe but very vulnerable if the enemy closes the distance. They're just now smart enough to close the distance.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Is there a mod that lets you actually track your finances, rather than see a prediction of your regular expenditures for the month? I want to see just how much I'm actually making from any given mission after repairs. I feel like I'm at a net loss besides for story missions.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Is there a mod that lets you actually track your finances, rather than see a prediction of your regular expenditures for the month? I want to see just how much I'm actually making from any given mission after repairs. I feel like I'm at a net loss besides for story missions.

If you're losing limbs and weapons you're doing pretty badly.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

The humble bundle monthly thing includes the dlc now

quote:

Besides the full game of BATTLETECH, now your Humble Monthly subscription gets you the Flashpoint and Shadow Hawk DLCs. Get loads of games for only $12/month with Humble Monthly. Games are yours to keep forever.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I made an excel sheet do do this with minimal input. Used a tablet at my side during the first campaign and it makes you play like career in that you're always under that time pressure to make even more month over month. Haven't used it since the first campaign.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/battleledger-track-monthly-profits.1089249/

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Stravag posted:

The humble bundle monthly thing includes the dlc now

Is that all the dlc? I was looking forward to the game next month.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

It includes Flashpoint, but not Urban Warfare.

EduardoEspecial
Dec 12, 2011

Dangerously Dexterous Dongs
What's the shadow hawk dlc?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

The different shadow hawk backer skins

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

^^^^^ The Atlas skin was the Backer bonus, Shadow Hawk was for Pre-orders.

That was a pre-order bonus. Came with a unique Shadow Hawk 3D model.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I don't think I ever got my atlas skin. Or know how to.

e: nvm, just went back and did it

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Sep 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

smh if your atlas isnt glowing white hot the whole time