Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Agony Aunt posted:

So... they made NMS?

Go into cave with mining laser, find glowing blue crack on rock, shoot with laser... technically it's not Warframe because Warframe has a small skill minigame involved. NMS has you harvest minerals that are visibly different from non-minerals. This is therefor new tech by CIG that's never been done before and required years of work to implement. I can't wait to run around until I find the rock, shoot the rock, carry the fragments back to my ship from each load (rocks are heavy!), then fly to a station and sell it for five spacebucks. Immersion!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
you have a so-called “gameplay loop“ now ci?
i would like to voice my concern
does real live have “gameplay loops?“ i never heard my grandpa reminiscing about how good his gameplay loops were back in the days

the fidelity score goes down ci
watch out or you will be ending up making just a triple AAA run-of-the-mill vidjagame like for example rockstar.

star citizen should be so much more than childish gameplay loops
\(T_T)/

- Bumble He, Rear Admiral with lust on his mind

BumbleOne fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Sep 19, 2019

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
What's the point of hand mining rocks in a cave in a game were you can effectively mine entire asteroids in space? It makes no sense.

It makes at least some sense in NMS where you are a stranded solo survivor making their way thru the galaxy scraping together fuel but it also doesn't bill itself as a high fidelity space sim either.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
Watching Star Citizen development is like watching slow-motion videos in reverse. We started with a game that would be literally everything, and despite the initial front-loaded explosion of studios and employees, we've otherwise been watching CIG verbally promise more and more, but their actual development efforts go in the other direction entirely. From a huge universe to maybe one star system to OK here's a planet, well ok one train on the planet, and now we're in a cave focusing on a rock, which was the only thing they could get working (somewhat) with what was built into the engine.

Congratulations to CIG for taking 8 years and hundreds of millions of dollars to reinvent "mining a rock by hand in a cave" in their go-anywhere do-anything space game where you can't go anywhere or do anything. (Except mine a rock in a cave soon. No caves yet. No rocks yet. Weeks not months.)

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

And of course mining a rock by hand in a cave is a victory lap for backers because it's perfectly logical to conclude that if CIG can mostly fail but technically succeed in using the built-in features of an engine to make an extraordinarily unfun and uninteresting mechanic in a cave, then it stands to reason that they can make an entire universe with interlocking physics grids and huge thousand-person space battles with fighters, capital ships, medical frigates, space farms, tanks, news vans, data runners, asteroids, planets, cities, and a full economy and a living universe because all of that is really just some config files once you have the rock working.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

skeletors_condom posted:

It's hilarious that the cultists approach purchases of pre-release DLC/jpegs almost as a hobby. They don't even know what CIG will announce:

Note: they are talking about this ship/jpeg ad:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dogeh posted:

So it's a shiptease?

lol

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Popete posted:

What's the point of hand mining rocks in a cave in a game were you can effectively mine entire asteroids in space? It makes no sense.

It makes at least some sense in NMS where you are a stranded solo survivor making their way thru the galaxy scraping together fuel but it also doesn't bill itself as a high fidelity space sim either.

Only in caves can you find whalerium.

But it's only a fraction of what you can do without a specialized mining vehicle. *wink* *wink*

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

trucutru posted:

But it's only a fraction of what you can do without a specialized mining vehicle. *wink* *wink*

There it is.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

is this game not out yet for real

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Anticheese posted:

Mining tool looks awfully No Man's Skysy there. :thunkher:

BDNMSSE

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

SecretDevBuild.txt

Yes, through all of the waves of spectacular failures and backer attrition, CIG has chosen to hide the fact that they have dozens of highly detailed Star Systems already completed.

This and the fever swamp dream that CIG is making AI of unprecedented complexity that is decades out of reach of even tech giants like Google, are my favorite parts of the Star Citizen Catechism.

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

Dogeh posted:

So it's a shiptease?

When they tease a new jpeg, it is indeed shiptease, but when they tease new gameplay mechanics, it is more akin to scriptease.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

He's trying to say CR doesn't care about the PU? Meaning CR only cares about SQ42?

You know, he might be on to something here.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

trucutru posted:

Actually this would make sense: park your vehicle outside and drag some hose (of course with fidelitious hose physics!) to pump whale oil from cave, instead of hauling it out with your grabby hands. They can sell it and then never make it. It's perfect

commando in tophat fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Sep 19, 2019

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

colonelwest posted:

SecretDevBuild.txt

Yes, through all of the waves of spectacular failures and backer attrition, CIG has chosen to hide the fact that they have dozens of highly detailed Star Systems already completed.

This and the fever swamp dream that CIG is making AI of unprecedented complexity that is decades out of reach of even tech giants like Google, are my favorite parts of the Star Citizen Catechism.

Wait, what?

quote:

If you understood what Squadron 42 was, you would understand how ridiculous this sounds. Squadron 42 takes place in exactly the same game universe as the PU only earlier. You cannot join either the military or advocacy in the PU, you can only join the military in Squadron 42. Service Guarantees Citizenship. If you do not join the military you will enter the PU as a civilian, in which case you either have to earn citizenship or buy citizenship. You cannot earn or buy ex-military status. A civilian cannot vote, will be restricted in what equipment or information they are allowed to access. There will be places you cannot go if you have no military security clearances. There is equipment that you will be trained on as ex-military which you cannot (with certain exceptions) own or operate legally in the PU if you have no military training. The F8C Lightning space superiority fighter for example. The Vanduul War is not over and ex-military are expected to remain current on front-line military equipment, because they can be called back to service at any time this was part of the reason for the Fleet Militia Initiative.

I've never even heard about this, and it sounds like the stupidest idea ever, and i mean beyond regular CIG levels of stupid. So if you don't play through SQ42 first and finish it then export your character to the PU, you have to jump through hoops that SQ42 players don't have to?

Anyone know if this is really something CIG have said they will do or is it just dreams.txt?

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Agony Aunt posted:

Anyone know if this is really something CIG have said they will do or is it just dreams.txt?

Those are not mutually exclusive options. Yes and yes.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Another deluded scam victim posted:

If you understood what Squadron 42 was, you would understand how ridiculous this sounds. Squadron 42 takes place in exactly the same game universe as the PU only earlier. You cannot join either the military or advocacy in the PU, you can only join the military in Squadron 42. Service Guarantees Citizenship. If you do not join the military you will enter the PU as a civilian, in which case you either have to earn citizenship or buy citizenship. You cannot earn or buy ex-military status. A civilian cannot vote, will be restricted in what equipment or information they are allowed to access. There will be places you cannot go if you have no military security clearances. There is equipment that you will be trained on as ex-military which you cannot (with certain exceptions) own or operate legally in the PU if you have no military training. The F8C Lightning space superiority fighter for example. The Vanduul War is not over and ex-military are expected to remain current on front-line military equipment, because they can be called back to service at any time this was part of the reason for the Fleet Militia Initiative.

Repeat after me, commando:

There is no Squadron 42. There is no PU. There is no timeline. There is no military, nor is there citizenship, nor are there "civilians" and there is nothing to earn or buy. There is no voting, and there is no equipment. There are no security clearances or training, military or otherwise. There is no "F8C Space Superiority Fighter." There was no "Vanduul War," and there is no such thing as the "Fleet Militia Initiative."

What does exist is a complete scam surrounded by a cloud of ink known as the "lore," which is pap that Chris Roberts wrote to make sure that only the dumbest, most worthless of internet denizens would pay attention, and among those bottom-feeders, a very special core of genetic defectives would pay attention to it enough to actually repeat it.

Really, really bad "lore" does not make the game any closer to completion than no lore at all. Start small, commando. First ask yourself this: can I mine a rock in a cave? That is the foundation of epic space operas. When that answer is yes, then, and only then, are you allowed to somehow bizarrely misinterpret the meanings of the terms "citizen" and "civilian." That will be a shining day, commando. A special day.

But it is not this day.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

Moving the Star Citizen thread back to games was worth it just for the Eonwe drive-by posts tbh

That still don't make it a game and won't make it closer to exist if that's your hope.

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

Sabreseven posted:

Why does he remind me of :

It might be the gross "energy" drink I guess. Or, that he's basically sacrificing integrity for money.

Meh.

E: Energy drinks are loving nasty, don't drink them.

Something I just noticed with rexzilla compared to other streamers, he isn't facing the screen straight on, it's always this angle facing towards the webcam, he is also bending in towards the mic whenever he talks.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

BeefThief posted:

is this game not out yet for real

It is ; in our hearth and our dreams.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PederP posted:

Those are not mutually exclusive options. Yes and yes.

Ok, bad phrasing on my part. Does anyone know if CIG have said they will do this?

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

stingtwo posted:

Something I just noticed with rexzilla compared to other streamers, he isn't facing the screen straight on, it's always this angle facing towards the webcam, he is also bending in towards the mic whenever he talks.

Its for maximum SHOUTINESS!

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

stingtwo posted:

Wasn't there some weird deal where was using a hugely expensive cinema class 4k movie camera as basically a webcam?

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Beluga Snail posted:

I'd love to get links to those videos if you don't mind- I like to keep a handy list of various times CIG has outright stated things that run completely counter to the believed narrative, and the entire 'how long in development with how many people' is one of the more common ones.

August 2013: 90 people
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbI-tT0Zs-U#t=865s

CitizenCon 2013: 110 people
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc2ya7SRA3I#t=478s

June 2014: 268 people (1 year and a half after the KS):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3lhXDaHcvo#t=340s

Note that the question is always "how many people work on Star Citizen". If the numbers are to be trusted, that excludes janitors, secretary or non-development jobs at the offices.

Nyast fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Sep 19, 2019

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

eonwe posted:

star citizen jacks you off and then cuddles you afterward
after watching the first season of Mr Mercedes this has a whole different connotation

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Are we weeks away from CitCan yet?

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AbstractNapper posted:

Are we weeks away from CitCan yet?

We're always weeks away from CitCan, commando. Spend more.

(Edit: It's 65 days away, so yes, single-digit weeks.)

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
It loving breaks me how every time CIG introduces a mechanic it's the most boring variant of the lot. They might introduce some twists to it (they won't tho) but this is something that No Mans Sky had in it's underwhelming launch in 2016. And even there it was more interesting on launch, because there was a complete (if a bit barren) game around it.

In the year 2019 there are a lot of games with mining, like:

Minecraft: The big cheese and yet the baseline of all procgen games with mining. Hit rock with fist, receive resource. For more advanced minerals - use advanced tools or get gently caress all. Not much to it. Unless you count enchanting your pickaxe to be faster, more durable or yield more minerals.
Going back to space games we have No Mans Sky - I'd say it's the closest one to SC due to being both in space and having space legs. Point at rock, receive minerals. CIG does a carbon copy of this one, since you can also blow up asteroids in space (with every one of your weapons, not just mining oriented ones) and receive resources. But unlike SC, NMS uses it's resources for a lot more then money - you need fuel for your ship, suit and weapons, you can refine, convert and combine resources, craft stuff with them, use them to build bases, ship components, rooms on your Frigate (basically your private Space Carrier, complete with your hangar and a loving FLEET you can build around it) - basically Mining is a piece of around 10 gameplay loops instead of in addition to being a loop on it's own.
But the one I've been playing a lot recently and the one I find mining the most fun is Deep Rock Galactic - a 4 player coop shooter where you're a bunch of space dwarves and go on expeditions. It features procgen caves (with varying complexity levels, shapes and sizes), 6 or 7 mission types and a lot of mining. Usually you dig through walls using your pickaxe, but you can use explosives (including strategically killing enemies that explode on death) or you can pick the "Driller" class and use akimbo mounted hand drills to carve tunnels into every wall. The resources you gather have to be offloaded to either a drone follwing you or to a specific point in the map, and finding what you need requires using both your eyes and an integrated scanning tool. The caves are dark and need to be lit with flares that bouce around and go off after a while, and full of enemies, so when you launch an expedition, there's hardly a dull moment.
So if you want some fun coop mining - get Deep Rock Galactic. It's awesome.

Don't buy into Star Citizen for goodness sake.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Pixelate posted:

Here's some early staffing / contracting stuff:

STAFF NUMBERS (NOT INCLUDING CONTRACTORS):

CHRIS ON THE FULL NUMBERS:

Aug 2013 - 90 (50 staff, 40~ contractors) [and rising]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbI-tT0Zs-U&feature=youtu.be&t=14m29s

Oct 2013 - 110 (IE at Citcon. Approx 130-140 by this vid in Dec)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc2ya7SRA3I#t=478s

June 2014 - 268 (approx half staff, half contract)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3lhXDaHcvo&feature=youtu.be&t=5m45s

LIST OF EARLY CONTRACTORS:

Click this link for many more links...

No, you see, that is hosed up. CIG started with only 3 guys including Chris himself coding, so in reality, real development only started in 2018. Those other early contractor companies that worked for CIG in the early years do not loving count. You loving twat.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kikas posted:

It loving breaks me how every time CIG introduces a mechanic it's the most boring variant of the lot. They might introduce some twists to it (they won't tho) but this is something that No Mans Sky had in it's underwhelming launch in 2016. And even there it was more interesting on launch, because there was a complete (if a bit barren) game around it.

Minecraft: The big cheese and yet the baseline of all procgen games with mining. Hit rock with fist, receive resource. For more advanced minerals - use advanced tools or get gently caress all. Not much to it. Unless you count enchanting your pickaxe to be faster, more durable or yield more minerals.
Going back to space games we have No Mans Sky - I'd say it's the closest one to SC due to being both in space and having space legs. Point at rock, receive minerals. CIG does a carbon copy of this one, since you can also blow up asteroids in space (with every one of your weapons, not just mining oriented ones) and receive resources. But unlike SC, NMS uses it's resources for a lot more then money - you need fuel for your ship, suit and weapons, you can refine, convert and combine resources, craft stuff with them, use them to build bases, ship components, rooms on your Frigate (basically your private Space Carrier, complete with your hangar and a loving FLEET you can build around it) - basically Mining is a piece of around 10 gameplay loops instead of in addition to being a loop on it's own.
But the one I've been playing a lot recently and the one I find mining the most fun is Deep Rock Galactic - a 4 player coop shooter where you're a bunch of space dwarves and go on expeditions. It features procgen caves (with varying complexity levels, shapes and sizes), 6 or 7 mission types and a lot of mining. Usually you dig through walls using your pickaxe, but you can use explosives (including strategically killing enemies that explode on death) or you can pick the "Driller" class and use akimbo mounted hand drills to carve tunnels into every wall. The resources you gather have to be offloaded to either a drone follwing you or to a specific point in the map, and finding what you need requires using both your eyes and an integrated scanning tool. The caves are dark and need to be lit with flares that bouce around and go off after a while, and full of enemies, so when you launch an expedition, there's hardly a dull moment.

Also Space Engineers and probably like a dozen other games that do it better, yes.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Agony Aunt posted:

Ok, bad phrasing on my part. Does anyone know if CIG have said they will do this?

A combination of what Chris Roberts was saying day one, DREAMS.TXT and you right now literally thinking more about the implementation and implication of this system than CIG ever has.

quote:

"Citizenship is a big deal in this universe," says Roberts. "Citizenship isn't your birthright. There's a little bit of Starship Troopers in there, but that in itself is modelled on the Roman system. You can win citizenship through military service, or you earn it through civic duties, or by becoming a merchant and buying it. That then opens up a new level of other things you can do in the galaxy."

Within the game, a full single-player campaign named Squadron 42 lurks. This Wing Commander-like option puts the player on the frontline of a battle along the edge of Earth territory, attempting to get into the eponymous unit – essentially, it's the French foreign legion of space. This can be attempted offline, but if you stay connected, friends can join in to be wingmen in key battles. When you complete it, you enter the persistent universe as an elite warrior, like a Navy SEAL: "and then you venture out into a Privateer-style world," says Roberts

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/gamesblog/2012/oct/12/star-citizen-preview

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

chaosapiant posted:

Thanos's ship looks like Van Damme when he did counter-top splits in Timecop. Go ahead try to not see that now.

You absolute son of a bitch.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Foo Diddley posted:

Man, if I'm spending $100k on a costume it better be a fully functional battlemech or something
Or the goon-sized version of this?
https://i.imgur.com/zdMZd5q.gifv

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Kikas posted:

Also Elite Dangerous of course - asteroid mining for cash and materials, planetary mining (via SRV) for materials for engineering and module upgrades, and I'd argue that scanning signal sources for materials sort of constitutes mining as well.

It's a grind, of course, as I well know - I've actually just finished re-engineering my Asp X FSD drive using the "new" engineering system (material traders, no effect rolls) and finding stuff like datamined wake exceptions was a massive chore. It's still a legit gameplay loop though unlike whatever passes for mining in SC.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Also Space Engineers and probably like a dozen other games that do it better, yes.

loving hell I forgot about Space Engineers: Equip drill, look for minerals. But not with eyes, that's boring, no. Equip your ship/yourself with resource scanners, fly near asteroids/ground, have it reveal veins of minerals. On a planet? Await meteor impacts and then scan impact zones for rare space minerals. All materials are used for crafting and all are useful. But doesn't end there: bored of mining with your hands? Equip your vehicle of choice with drills, customize your drill as you like. Extremely bored? Why not pour all of your resources into building a big-rear end spaceship that's basically a flying drill the size of a double decker bus, eat asteroids whole, drill through planet cores.

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Also Elite Dangerous of course - asteroid mining for cash and materials, planetary mining (via SRV) for materials for engineering and module upgrades, and I'd argue that scanning signal sources for materials sort of constitutes mining as well.

It's a grind, of course, as I well know - I've actually just finished re-engineering my Asp X FSD drive using the "new" engineering system (material traders, no effect rolls) and finding stuff like datamined wake exceptions was a massive chore. It's still a legit gameplay loop though unlike whatever passes for mining in SC.

I avoided the comparison with ED on purpose, since it doesn't have space legs AFAIK and the video shows on-foot mining. But yeah, it does have ship mining.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
I missed something, what's all this about costumes? did they make cosplay costumes for their staff?

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Lladre posted:

I missed something, what's all this about costumes? did they make cosplay costumes for their staff?

CIG is doing a pivot towards collectible digital costumes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Turns out the flight model isn't broken after all. Chris was just building the next Tokyo Drift.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndsC-HaSc1U