Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

lol yes the Cypriots are more European than Turks in Izmir who are chilling on the Aegean opposite Greece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Even by antiquated racist French textbook standards, Scotland being less European than Spain is weird.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Economic factors? Not too familiar with Scotland's history, it is known as prosperous today but it could be one of those places that only really took off within the past few decades, like Finland. I know that they had lots of industry around Glasgow, but I also remember reading that conditions were exceptionally miserable there.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Saladman posted:

Using context clues, it was probably this:

lol. even if they highlighted the correct colorado, i guarantee 95% of the weed in new mexico came from there

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
wtf why would California import ditch weed from Colorado when California has the Emerald Triangle?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Platystemon posted:

I thought Colorado was the Mile‐high State, not the Two‐hundred‐and‐forty‐miles‐high State.

I just don't get it.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

Why does it divide Belarus into two

Pre-war Polish border?

Alan G
Dec 27, 2003

Platystemon posted:

Even by antiquated racist French textbook standards, Scotland being less European than Spain is weird.

Kind of hard to tell, but it looks like its not following the scotland/england border at all but goes from about Ayr to Edinburgh.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Phlegmish posted:

Economic factors? Not too familiar with Scotland's history, it is known as prosperous today but it could be one of those places that only really took off within the past few decades, like Finland. I know that they had lots of industry around Glasgow, but I also remember reading that conditions were exceptionally miserable there.

If the darker colors were supposed to show longer term wealth, than Iberia and southern Italy would definitely not be black.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Wow watch Slovenia start a loving war

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Milo and POTUS posted:

I just don't get it.

Colorado and Wyoming are the same basic shape, seven degrees of longitude wide and four degrees of latitude tall.

Colorado has the thirty‐seventh parallel as its southern border. Wyoming’s is the forty‐first.

Wyoming is therefore four degrees further north, or “higher” than Colorado.

Four degrees of latitude is two hundred and forty nautical miles.

Bonus fun fact: Because the lines of longitude get closer together nearer the poles, Wyoming is not inconsiderably smaller than Colorado.

Oregon is larger than Wyoming but smaller than Colorado.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Jaramin posted:

It's not even the communism. Those are post-soviet borders.

Tweet says it's from 1977, so it can't be post-soviet.

Apparently, the things that make you more european than not are:
1. cultural history based on shared elements: classical Greek philosophy, the Roman empire, the domination of Christianity during the middle age, the Renaissance, and the Enlightenment.
2. a highly urbanized society

Outside influences (from the Russian or Ottoman empires) therefore reduce your score for reason 1 (curious that Spain and Portugal don't see their scores reduced then), while remote areas with low population density reduce the score for reason 2.

I haven't found the precise manual, but I've found stuff that was talking about the notion, mostly to criticize it.

quote:

Moreover, a definition in gradients is all the more problematic because it is necessary to define, beforehand, "legacies" to be taken into account. While some do not have much debate (ancient legacies, others pose more problems, particularly with regard to religion. For example, is it necessary to differentiate between Catholic and Protestant heritages on the one hand and the orthodox heritage on the other, as S. Huntington does in The Clash of Civilizations (1997), or consider them as parts of a whole that would be Christendom? And how to take into account the Muslim populations of Europe, especially those of the Balkans? In these circumstances, a definition of the identity of Europe and its limits always seems to be influenced by the author's representations of what makes Europe for him. But the perspectives are certainly very different, seen from Nicosia, Helsinki, Vienna or Madrid and the definition of Europe is therefore highly mutable.

Moreover, the context seems to be largely on the European unification project (European Communities back then, European Union now).

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Gone Fashing posted:

lol. even if they highlighted the correct colorado, i guarantee 95% of the weed in new mexico came from there

double lol, there are only four states left that don't have local weed laws and just follow federal guidelines: Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota, Idaho

I live in KC and weed's been available here since forever, but the quality did skyrocket after CO legalized; used to be you'd either get stuff from BC/CA, or someone would have a good local grow and you'd get that until they'd inevitably get busted

there's literal tons of weed coming over the western border and even if I didn't like smonking at all I'd call that a net positive

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
That was in 1977?? Jesus christ. I mean I guess it's not as bad as that "levels of enlightenment" map from the 19th century but it doesn't feel too far off from it.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Jaramin posted:

It's not even the communism. Those are post-soviet borders.

If it was done in 1973, it's not post-soviet borders. They just distinguish each of the Soviet republics.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Epicurius posted:

If it was done in 1973, it's not post-soviet borders. They just distinguish each of the Soviet republics.

....and have split Czechoslovakia.... and a confused distinctly mid-90's mess of disintegrating Yugoslav borders...

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
maybe the twitter post is incorrectly sourced... i wouldn't know though...

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Yeah, pretty sure that map is fake, these borders make no sense at all for 1977 but make perfect sense if all the mapmaker knows about the Cold War is that Germany was split in two

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm a dumb never mind.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
If you click into the tweet, there's a correction that the map is from 1997, supposedly.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Koramei posted:

That was in 1977?? Jesus christ. I mean I guess it's not as bad as that "levels of enlightenment" map from the 19th century but it doesn't feel too far off from it.

it's from 1997, tweet is wrong.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

it's from 1997, tweet is wrong.

It’s just a totally fake map. No French person making a map for a textbook in 1997 would separate DDR and GDR. And if they were that irredentist, they would just put all of Germany into Category VI: Untermenschen.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I don't think it thinks Germany isn't united, just that former East Germany is less European than former West Germany.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Grevling posted:

I don't think it thinks Germany isn't united, just that former East Germany is less European than former West Germany.

But look at the borders, the national borders are separate from the "layers of Europeanness" and it has national borders between East and West Germany.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Pakled posted:

But look at the borders, the national borders are separate from the "layers of Europeanness" and it has national borders between East and West Germany.
I will never recognize the illegitimate annexation of the DDR by the European imperialists of the BRD.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Saladman posted:

No French person making a map for a textbook in 1997 would separate DDR and GDR.
I think person anywhere ever would seperate DDR and GDR. :v:

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

frankenfreak posted:

I think person anywhere ever would seperate DDR and GDR. :v:

They're way different. The Derman Democratic Republic vs. the German Democratic Republic.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Ras Het posted:

They're way different. The Derman Democratic Republic vs. the Berman Remocratic Depublic.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Ras Het posted:

They're way different. The Derman Democratic Republic vs. the German Democratic Republic.

Duten log, as they say!

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

First category seems to be NATO and friends. (except areas populated by Sámi and Finns, a suspicious lot, they are.)
Second seems to be former French client states and allies.

Edit: Third category seems to be just a lazily drawn version of "not Turkey or Russia." Alternatively the greatest extent of fighting in WWI.

Edit 2: fixed quotes.

Jasper Tin Neck fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Sep 19, 2019

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
What I like most about Europe is that you can be this little country, not even bigger than Texas, and still get to call yourself an empire.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

DrSunshine posted:

What I like most about Europe is that you can be this little country, not even bigger than Texas, and still get to call yourself an empire.

Emperatitude is a attitude

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Notable European country, Japan

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Notable not very European country, Scotland.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Phlegmish posted:

Why does it divide Belarus into two

Best guess is, it's somewhat similar to the pre-war borders of Belarus and Ukraine.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

The line goes through the central belt of Scotland, where everyone lives.
Stop the Edinburgh tram extension before the un-European barbarians from Leith invade! :ohdear:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Soricidus posted:

Notable European country, Japan

I don't think that's even fair. The japanese "Emperor" existed long before anyone in Japan knew or cared much about whatever a Europa is, and it is indeed europeans who decided that this distinctly japanese institution should constitute an Empire with an Emperor in translation.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

DrSunshine posted:

Well I have it on good authority from playing Crusader Kings 2 that you need to have enough gold and at least 80% of the dejure territory to form an empire.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

DrSunshine posted:

texas is pretty big

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Kurtofan posted:

texas is pretty big

My family in Strasbourg drives to Prague in the time it would take me to drive from my texan hometown to fuckin Dallas.

E: i checked that website that compares sizes on maps and if home was Strasbourg and I was where I live now, I'd be deep in Russia north of the Caspian Sea. And driving here to there seems normal and comfortable once or twice a year. Europe is tiny.

https://thetruesize.com/#?borders=1~!MTU1NTg4MzE.NDkxMDQ1MA*MzIwOTg0MDk(NTM5MzcyMA~!CONTIGUOUS_US*MTAwMjQwNzU.MjUwMjM1MTc(MTc1)MA~!IN*NTI2NDA1MQ.Nzg2MzQyMQ)MQ~!CN*OTkyMTY5Nw.NzMxNDcwNQ(MjI1)Mg

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 19, 2019