Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
All will vary based on your powerset and power picks, but IMO:

Scrappers, Brutes, and stalkers are happy soloing. All of them have damage primary/defense secondary and hit people in melee with various flavor differences. Masterminds are more of an 'advanced' choice but if you're comfortable with the controls, they are very self sufficient, bringing their own team with them.

Blasters, Dominators, and Tanks can solo but with some notable weak spots: Tanks lack damage, Blasters and Dominators are fragile. Blasters in particular I will note can be S-tier depending on your power sets and picks; big damage numbers can leave you with enemies vaporized before they can attack more than once, and leave you clearing content with ease and in safety. In general, I think it might be fair to assume that the right (or wrong) powersets can move an archetype's viability up or down a rung.

Corruptors, Defenders, and Spiders do okay damage and have a lot of support. I've put them in the middle here because while these classes CAN solo, they're really geared more towards being a force multiplier. One Soldier of Arachnos is fun, a whole team of them is a wrecking crew, so they've been demoted to B-tier for wasted potential.

Kheldians are on the weak side and their inherent promotes teaming.

Controllers don't have damage moves. (Illusion is SO good that I'd probably bump it up to a minimum of a B, maybe an A-tier, but you're still wasting your secondary (probably).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Crasical posted:

Scrappers, Brutes, and stalkers are happy soloing. All of them have damage primary/defense secondary and hit people in melee with various flavor differences. Masterminds are more of an 'advanced' choice but if you're comfortable with the controls, they are very self sufficient, bringing their own team with them.

Blasters, Dominators, and Tanks can solo but with some notable weak spots: Tanks lack damage, Blasters and Dominators are fragile. Blasters in particular I will note can be S-tier depending on your power sets and picks; big damage numbers can leave you with enemies vaporized before they can attack more than once, and leave you clearing content with ease and in safety. In general, I think it might be fair to assume that the right (or wrong) powersets can move an archetype's viability up or down a rung.

Corruptors, Defenders, and Spiders do okay damage and have a lot of support. I've put them in the middle here because while these classes CAN solo, they're really geared more towards being a force multiplier. One Soldier of Arachnos is fun, a whole team of them is a wrecking crew, so they've been demoted to B-tier for wasted potential.

Controllers don't have damage moves. (Illusion is SO good that I'd probably bump it up to a minimum of a B, maybe an A-tier, but you're still wasting your secondary (probably).

this but stalker is in S+ and Scrapper doesnt exist and its how i feel about the entire game tbh

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

ReWinter posted:

I've been playing in groups off and on since the relaunch, but not having really played back in the day I was wondering what some guidelines for a more solo-oriented build would be. Is it as simple as "play a MM", are there particular powersets that excel at it, etc? I'm probably more keen on pushing up enemy quantity because it's fun to beat up big groups than raising the difficulty level, if that matters.

Non-exhaustive guide based on my experience:

Brutes and scrappers are good at this, especially ones with a damage aura in their secondary.

Illusion controllers solo well at level 18+. I've used ill/storm and ill/dark. Other controllers...exist for some reason.

Blasters solo surprisingly well on HC; those snipe changes make a huge difference.

Stalkers are great at it.

MMs certainly can solo.

Corruptors it seems to depend on the secondary. My fire/kin just dies solo, my fire/dark and ice/dark solo just fine.

Tanks usually don't do enough damage to be much fun, but fire/fire is better than most.

Defenders, well, storm can.

Doms can but are always riding the line, if your control drops or you miss too much, you're toast.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Is some combo of war mace + dark armor viable on a tank/scrap/brute? I heard they're both pretty end heavy but I like the idea of it.

E: also a follow up, which would be the best for it? I couldn't find any builds at all for this gor any of them.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Zarick posted:

Is some combo of war mace + dark armor viable on a tank/scrap/brute? I heard they're both pretty end heavy but I like the idea of it.

E: also a follow up, which would be the best for it? I couldn't find any builds at all for this gor any of them.

Dark Armor is kinda sucktastic. The protection is merely ok, it hits your end bar pretty hard, and non-stacking mag 2 mezzes are garbage.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Crasical posted:

OK, but S is worse than A. A=1, S=19.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Crasical posted:

Khelds in no way deserve to be that low. It'll depend somewhat on your build but unless you're stubbornly trying to go human form Warshade basically anything else will solo pretty capably. Certainly no worse than anything in the tier above.

Zarick posted:

Dark Armor is only end heavy if you play it poorly, but ultimately you're going to be sucking down endurance one way or another because Mace just does that.

Go back a page or three or search my posts 'cause we actually just had a discussion on Dark Armor not that long ago.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

That tier list perfectly captures why I can't stop making Corruptors and Defenders and why I finally want to get around to leveling a VEAT one of these days. Soloing is cool and all, but I find that "force multiplier" role to be really satisfying, probably because it's the kind of role that doesn't really exist in most modern MMOs. It's refreshing.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

John Murdoch posted:

unless you're stubbornly trying to go human form Warshade

The fact that I'm trying to do exactly that makes this comment uncomfortable for me.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Didn't they* recently make human-form-only viable or at least more viable?

*whoever's running Homecoming

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
That was a different server that did a whole bunch of stuff to Khelds.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
I need to quit being a punk and give in and make a mace guy. Dark armor actually sounds pretty fun if I just slot whacky procs in all my auras? Shield charge > whirling mace sounds fun but shield is boring besides that. Should I just be a bane spider for the fun toxic animations and be a magic scepter guy with all the mace blasts?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Bane Spider isn't bad exactly, but there's not really a compelling reason to choose it over a Stalker.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'

I AM THE MOON posted:

this but stalker is in S+ and Scrapper doesnt exist and its how i feel about the entire game tbh

Same. I've never made a Scrapper that I enjoyed, but Stalker is tons of fun.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Nonexistence posted:

I need to quit being a punk and give in and make a mace guy. Dark armor actually sounds pretty fun if I just slot whacky procs in all my auras? Shield charge > whirling mace sounds fun but shield is boring besides that. Should I just be a bane spider for the fun toxic animations and be a magic scepter guy with all the mace blasts?

WM/Bio scrapper is balls-out crazy damage once it gets going.

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed
Thanks for all the info! I'm playing with some brute builds and got a Joy2Key thing going to play (mostly) on a pad, fun stuff so far.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

A mace/da brute is my goto melee character. Just don’t underslot Dark Regeneration. Acc, end, rech, theft proc. And if you want to, you can skip cloak of fear since you’ll be much better at stunning with mace.

If all characters were lost and we had to start over, I’d likely rebuild the mace/dark first out of melee characters.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

Gorgar posted:

If all characters were lost and we had to start over, I’d likely rebuild ****** first

This is a fun topic.

Arachnos Soldier. Crab Spider is everything I wanted blasters to be when the game launched.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

John Murdoch posted:

Khelds in no way deserve to be that low. It'll depend somewhat on your build but unless you're stubbornly trying to go human form Warshade basically anything else will solo pretty capably. Certainly no worse than anything in the tier above.

Khelds aren't horrible, but unless you have a tentacle fetish there's no compelling reason to play one instead of a blast or scrap or Spider.

A dude posted:

Bane Spider isn't bad exactly, but there's not really a compelling reason to choose it over a Stalker.

Banes are like Stalkers with ~70% of the damage plus a few tricks. The latter doesn't make up for the former.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Sep 19, 2019

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

ReWinter posted:

Thanks for all the info! I'm playing with some brute builds and got a Joy2Key thing going to play (mostly) on a pad, fun stuff so far.

There's proper controller support available now, btw.

Gynovore posted:

Khelds aren't horrible, but unless you have a tentacle fetish there's no compelling reason to play one instead of a blast or scrap or Spider.

Tri-form Warshades firing on all cylinders are a thing to behold and you can do some funny stuff with PBs. Beyond that the appeal is going to vary wildly because of how they work on teams. Being able to swap between DPS and tanking on the fly can be valuable or it could be completely pointless and you spend 99% of your time in squid form.

The real reason to play them is because their powers look awesome and now that they've fixed customization on them it's even better.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Sep 19, 2019

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
The biggest bummer about spiders is having to start red side. Red side is so low pop that it makes teaming hard. I just wanna be a spider with laser guns :saddowns:

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

John Murdoch posted:

Tri-form Warshades firing on all cylinders are a thing to behold and you can do some funny stuff with PBs. Beyond that the appeal is going to vary wildly because of how they work on teams. Being able to swap between DPS and tanking on the fly can be valuable or it could be completely pointless and you spend 99% of your time in squid form.

Is this still the case with the nerf to dwarf mire?

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

CascadeBeta posted:

The biggest bummer about spiders is having to start red side. Red side is so low pop that it makes teaming hard. I just wanna be a spider with laser guns :saddowns:

This is why I always immediately hot Pocket D to Rogue or Vigilante my new characters, so I can just flip flop between whatever's convenient at the time.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Hot Pocket D definitely sounds like a villain.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

This is why I always immediately hot Pocket D to Rogue or Vigilante my new characters, so I can just flip flop between whatever's convenient at the time.

Wait, what is this? Is this something that was added for homecoming?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Kheldians really should have been designed with only one transformation a piece.
Peacebringers should get crab Warshades get squid.

Maybe expand the passive a bit.

Even in the best of cases, Khels are "pretty good, I guess but you have to juggle a bunch of garbage".

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Platonicsolid posted:

Hot Pocket D definitely sounds like a villain.

I saw the typo, and opted to leave it.

CascadeBeta posted:

Wait, what is this? Is this something that was added for homecoming?

There's a bird in Pocket D on top of a truck on red side who can do some alterations for free.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
And in other news, people have been banned for RMT.

https://massivelyop.com/2019/09/19/city-of-heroes-homecoming-is-now-banning-accounts-for-real-money-trading/

Seriously, how dumb and/or rich do you have to be to spend real money on fake money on a fake server that might vanish any day?

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Gynovore posted:

https://massivelyop.com/2019/09/19/city-of-heroes-homecoming-is-now-banning-accounts-for-real-money-trading/

Seriously, how dumb and/or rich do you have to be to spend real money on fake money on a fake server that might vanish any day?

I just wanna know how much people were getting fleeced for bc thats less inf than id expect for that kind of bust

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

I saw the typo, and opted to leave it.

There's a bird in Pocket D on top of a truck on red side who can do some alterations for free.

How do you get into pocket d on homecoming? Is it through the p2w vendor? I always just had a pocket d pass on my main account from buying the heroes vs villains edition back in the day, or whatever.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

CascadeBeta posted:

How do you get into pocket d on homecoming? Is it through the p2w vendor? I always just had a pocket d pass on my main account from buying the heroes vs villains edition back in the day, or whatever.

King's Row and Port Oakes are the lowest lvl areas of entry on each side respectively. You can see the entrances on the map. You can usually make it at lvl 1 if you're careful not to run into any mobs. Pretty sure you can't even run into anything if you're on PO East side.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

CascadeBeta posted:

Same as before: look for map markers in King's Row and Port Oakes. Praetorians can enter via Studio 55; I can't remember whether you have to go primal first.

(and I'm an idiot for not seeing the post above that says the same thing)

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Crasical posted:

Gravity does...

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Angrymog posted:

Gravity does...

Gravity also has a new thing where things with a grav hold stack on them (regardless of if it's sufficient mag to actually hold them and also be triggering Containment) are subject to some bonus damage from Lift and Propel.

Propel still takes forever to activate, but also Propel is still the best power in the game on the basis of flinging sinks at people, so it's a tossup. The damage you can do with Lift now, though, is kind of absurd. You're obviously limited by the fact it's single target but with permahasten lift's recharge is nothing, and something held by gravity distortion with lift getting spammed on it gets ground away really quickly.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Gynovore posted:

I'm sorry that's just loving hilarious. And sad. But mostly hilarious.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Nonexistence posted:

Is this still the case with the nerf to dwarf mire?

At the end of the day you're still going to be turning the souls of the dead into your personal koosh ball army while laughing off damage via Stygian Circle and Eclipse and still getting a perfectly nice damage boost from human form's Mire. The craziness of Warshades was never down to just being able to stack mires.

Also because I'm nitpicky like that, I want to point out that neither Null the Gull or Gravity's Impact effect are homebrew, though Null's ability to instantly switch your faction is.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Easiest way to pocket d is just with the macro to go to someone's SG base that's on the discord and warp there

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I had a weird time getting to Pocket D the first time. Started out just exploring map markers and hit Paragon Dance Party in... Steel Canyon, maybe? Wherever, it had an exploration marker outside. Finding it to be an empty laser-lit warehouse, I tried to leave, but got lost and wound up in a much higher level zone. A bum sitting by the door told me about Pocket D, so I found it on the map and snuck over there, finding the Kings Row exit to get back to appropriate content.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Hunter Noventa posted:

I'm sorry that's just loving hilarious. And sad. But mostly hilarious.

The really ironic thing is that I'd be happy to plunk down $5 or so in exchange for 100M, if it kept the server running. I'm sure a lot of people would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Gynovore posted:

The really ironic thing is that I'd be happy to plunk down $5 or so in exchange for 100M, if it kept the server running. I'm sure a lot of people would.

Eh, I don't think they have a problem getting money to keep the server running--but I do believe doing that would put them in a more precarious position for keeping the server open, selling things on the server, etc.