Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

YggdrasilTM posted:

Deathless Knight
B/G B/G B/G B/G
Creature - Skeleton Knight
Haste

Whenever you gain life for the first time each turn, return Deathless Knight from your graveyard to your hand.

4/2

This is very solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

YggdrasilTM posted:

Deathless Knight
B/G B/G B/G B/G
Creature - Skeleton Knight
Haste

Whenever you gain life for the first time each turn, return Deathless Knight from your graveyard to your hand.

4/2

Hasty mono-B creature. Mah color pie!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

AlternateNu posted:

Hasty mono-B creature. Mah color pie!

There's two black commons in WAR that get haste, please calm down.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Lone Goat posted:

gently caress they are slaughtering the color pie!!

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Haste has appeared in black since before it was called Haste.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

goth smoking cloves posted:

They've been dissolving the color pie for that long!?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'll slaughter any pie you give me

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Andrast posted:

I'll slaughter any pie you give me

Ok.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

And then you use the pie to return the deathless knight from your graveyard to your hand.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

YggdrasilTM posted:

And then you use the pie to return the deathless knight from your graveyard to your hand.

This all seems reasonable for mono-black. I don't know what anyone else is hollering about.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

mehall posted:

Does anyone here have good ideas on how to keep a home office tidy when, as a magic player, you inevitably have various piles of cards, be they half constructed decks, or "uncommons I don't want to put into the full storage because then I won't find them and will end up buying more when I need them" etc etc?

Build an organization system and stick to it. Don't work on 20 decks at once, or at least do your deckbuilding on a website like deckbox.org or mtggoldfish etc.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You definitely want to just stick to an organization system.

In my experience, saying "I'll leave these out instead of filing them with everything else because I know I'll want them soon" is what leads to you not realising you already have those cards, because you look where they would be if they were in with everything else and don't find them.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Hasty black is pretty usual, hasty green is more unusual

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Jabor posted:

In my experience, saying "I'll leave these out instead of filing them with everything else because I know I'll want them soon" is what leads to you not realising you already have those cards, because you look where they would be if they were in with everything else and don't find them.

That’s how I ended up with 3 merfolk decks back in the day. Not too bad when chalice spiked though

But yeah, organize

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

AlternateNu posted:

Elk are tasty. What you talking about?

I mean I would rather be turned into a majestic elk, even if I never turn back, than to a moo cow set to be slaughtered into a food token.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Kurtofan posted:

Idk we already have a hasty monogreen card in this very set

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
The thing that helped me with card organization the most was realizing that it was more of a chore to hoard than to let go. I didn't need a bookshelf full of 800ct longboxes full of uncommons and commons just in case one of them spiked in price. Same for bulk rares. They just take up space. In the best case, I find out a $0.25 card is now worth $10 and is something I later want for a deck (which is honestly pretty uncommon). So.. I'm out a few bucks. In practice, I find I'm usually just buying singles for edh or pauper and getting rid of anything that's not an actual deckbuilding staple. It saves so much room, makes cleaning and sorting easier, and I don't miss the piles of bulk at all.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Kurtofan posted:

Around innistrard I wanna say was the big push to give green tertiary haste with that big dumb undying hasty mythic.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Kurtofan posted:

green gets haste on big dudes semi-frequently, like end-raze forerunners, shifting ceratops etc. it was one of the planar chaos changes that kind of stuck around. the only unusual thing is that this guy can be monoblack and monoblack's haste dudes tend to be smaller. in fact, prior to this guy, the only black creatures with haste and at least four power (not counting Unearthed dudes) were: Skithiryx and Markov Crusader (fair enough), Ormendahl (transformed from a land), Pitiless Horde (only when Dashed), Spirit of the Night (printed more than 20 years ago). Not a long list.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Usually green cards get haste to push them in standard like Strangleroot Geist or Shifting Ceratops, so mostly at higher rarities.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

meanolmrcloud posted:

Around innistrard I wanna say was the big push to give green tertiary haste with that big dumb undying hasty mythic.

Vorapede had vigilance not haste.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Lone Goat posted:

goth smoking cloves posted:

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I'm being facetious, guys. Holy balls. Unless we're talking B/G Serra Angel. :v:

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

green gets haste on big dudes semi-frequently, like end-raze forerunners, shifting ceratops etc. it was one of the planar chaos changes that kind of stuck around. the only unusual thing is that this guy can be monoblack and monoblack's haste dudes tend to be smaller. in fact, prior to this guy, the only black creatures with haste and at least four power (not counting Unearthed dudes) were: Skithiryx and Markov Crusader (fair enough), Ormendahl (transformed from a land), Pitiless Horde (only when Dashed), Spirit of the Night (printed more than 20 years ago). Not a long list.

Can add Demigod of Revenge to that list, who operates on the same principle as the new guy.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Aranan posted:

The thing that helped me with card organization the most was realizing that it was more of a chore to hoard than to let go. I didn't need a bookshelf full of 800ct longboxes full of uncommons and commons just in case one of them spiked in price. Same for bulk rares. They just take up space. In the best case, I find out a $0.25 card is now worth $10 and is something I later want for a deck (which is honestly pretty uncommon). So.. I'm out a few bucks. In practice, I find I'm usually just buying singles for edh or pauper and getting rid of anything that's not an actual deckbuilding staple. It saves so much room, makes cleaning and sorting easier, and I don't miss the piles of bulk at all.

I throw away all commons. This is not a lie. Bulk is literal trash and should be removed from your mental baggage.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
He is free

https://twitter.com/MTGGoldfish/status/1174691099639726087?s=19

Also this

https://twitter.com/MTGGoldfish/status/1174691370059145216?s=19

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Niton posted:

Can add Demigod of Revenge to that list, who operates on the same principle as the new guy.

reasonable, though i didn't include that because i didn't generally include black granting haste to creatures it reanimates (of any size) or green granting haste to lands it animates

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Slaughter Pie 1BBBB

Sacrifice one slice of the color pie.

Return a slice of the color pie from your graveyard to the battlefield.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Jabor posted:

I digitally catalog all my cards with Magic Assistant and put a note about what box I put them in. It takes time to do but makes it so much easier to find stuff.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

ShaneB posted:

I throw away all commons. This is not a lie. Bulk is literal trash and should be removed from your mental baggage.

I keep cards that can be big for casual. Stuff like slivers, sacrifice cards, etc. that can be $1 in a few years. The rest I just leave on the counter for my LGS to deal with. Uncommons I keep anything that could be playable but still most of it never leaves the store.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

I like the flavor for Return of the Wildspeaker, but it seems like a bad rare. That common looks pretty hot for limited though.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I always have piles of cards on my desk. I don't know how, because I rarely build decks. It's a lot of draft leftovers, cards I want to put in a binder because they've gone up in price, etc. I've got two big five-row boxes and every once in a while I shove a big stack in there to sort through later.

Festive Funeral is a good limited card. I feel like it could have cost a lot less and be pushed for constructed, but oh well. The Garruk card is good because it's an instant; it's going to win a lot of prerelease games.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

InterrupterJones posted:

I like the flavor for Return of the Wildspeaker, but it seems like a bad rare. That common looks pretty hot for limited though.

instant speed overrun and a monogreen draw a bunch card stapled together is pretty sweet

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
This seems super strong

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Tainen posted:

This seems super strong

Yup.

flatluigi posted:

instant speed overrun and a monogreen draw a bunch card stapled together is pretty sweet

It seems very good in the less interactive matches and very bad in the more interactive matches.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
https://twitter.com/Fil_gri_84/status/1174703687454875648?s=19

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.
I didn't even realize until I checked that last time we saw Garruk was in M15? FIVE YEARS ago? Holy poo poo has it really been that long

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
A month or two ago, I actually boxed up all my bulk commons/uncommons/rares into a flat rate box and mailed it to someone I saw asking about building intro decks for some kids in boy scouts. I figured they'd get more use out of it than a dusty closest or the garbage.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Tainen posted:

This seems super strong

I know there are way better uses, but this is great for a creeping chill deck/drowned secrets deck.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Tainen posted:

This seems super strong

You can Ghostly Flicker this and an Astrolabe, stack the triggers so you draw after putting this on top, and get +1 storm for every 2U you have!

I do wonder if this will be playable in some kind of pauper Tron build. Needing 3 islands is a pretty big downside, but it's not like Tron hasn't played Mortuary Mire in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Garruk was always my favorite green walker so I hope we see more of him