Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Chuka Umana posted:

This means Scheer is basically a lock to become PM now?

The inevitable conclusion to finding out your PM is racist is electing a party with an even more racist and right wing PM.

You notice how Trudeau hasn’t said poo poo about all the great cables he’s built for Indigenous youth? He’s already given up on pretending he’s not super racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Arivia posted:

You notice how Trudeau hasn’t said poo poo about all the great cables he’s built for Indigenous youth? He’s already given up on pretending he’s not super racist.

Doing things for indigenous people isn't a thing that helps you poll well with canadians. Trudeau never even said the word indigenous in his election kickoff speech.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Doing things for indigenous people isn't a thing that helps you poll well with canadians. Trudeau never even said the word indigenous in his election kickoff speech.

Exactly.

A lot of Indigenous people noticed that.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Wendell posted:

Here we go, a third time he did black/brown face. With video.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5922861/justin-trudeau-brownface-video/

Nice hair though

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
The Labour party in NZ switched party leaders just before an election and it ended up working out really well for them, so who the gently caress knows what'll happen here.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Postess with the Mostest posted:

the only time he mentions them is when he's giving speeches about cooperation while simultaneously loving them over

Chuka Umana posted:

The inevitable conclusion to finding out your PM is racist is electing a party with an even more racist and right wing PM.

scheer is still a yawning void of anti-charisma so it's hard to say

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Canadians suddenly realize that they voted for* Quebecois Prince Harry as prime minister four years ago. Will they regret it? Find out in a few short weeks!

* Yes yes I know

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

the only difference between them seems to be that scheer says the quiet parts out loud

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

xtal posted:

Big surprise: a Canadian PM is racist. The thing I don't get is why everybody is saying this will help the Conservatives, who earlier this week said they would stand by people who did racist things in the past. Nobody is going to say Trudeau is too racist and then vote Conservative; the Conservatives have this type of thing as a core of their platform. So does this just increase the number of people throwing their vote away with a third party?

Because elections usually aren't about convincing voters from the opposing party to vote for you instead, it's about getting those voters to just stay home, while getting your own base to turn up. If this convinces a lot of Liberal voters to just skip voting, that's a huge boon for Andrew Scheer.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Chuka Umana posted:

Conservatives have a rock solid bedrock of support driven by racists, economic conservatives, big business interests and people who lack the willpower or knowledge to overcome base instincts and “common sense”.

It’s “easy” to hold onto these people. They have nowhere to go and they will always vote blue as a matter of identity and ignorance. It’s impossible to break down that barrier.

Liberals are a fragile coalition of Soft-C economic conservatives, “red Tories” and progressives who vote for them hoping for some kind of social progress even if they don’t deliver. The progressive turnout is fickle and quick to abandon the liberal party if they get bad press. Justin being a hypocrite instead of a champion of minority rights and social justice is exactly the scenario that depresses the turnout. It’s voter apathy that gives conservatives election wins. The sponsorship scandal was what gave the Tories their last majority.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
This will probably have a zero effect to Trudeau's polling

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
How much play is this story getting? Does Canada do 24/7 horse race-minded saturation coverage too?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Brony Car posted:

How much play is this story getting? Does Canada do 24/7 horse race-minded saturation coverage too?

Yes and yes.

The 24 hour news cycle is an abomination.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

PittTheElder posted:

Because elections usually aren't about convincing voters from the opposing party to vote for you instead, it's about getting those voters to just stay home, while getting your own base to turn up. If this convinces a lot of Liberal voters to just skip voting, that's a huge boon for Andrew Scheer.

That’s the power of negative campaigning. You get people confused, upset so instead of voting on Election Day they stay home and drink.

Or better yet, they waste their vote on a worthless 3rd party candidate.

I’m super concerned our puritanical callout cancel culture will backfire enormously. Despite Trudeau’s actions which are wrong his government has done well for minorities. Isn’t that important too?

Please tell me I’m freaking wrong and this won’t jeopardize an entire election.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

What has Trudeau's government done for minorities?

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Tab8715 posted:

That’s the power of negative campaigning. You get people confused, upset so instead of voting on Election Day they stay home and drink.

Or better yet, they waste their vote on a worthless 3rd party candidate.

I’m super concerned our puritanical callout cancel culture will backfire enormously. Despite Trudeau’s actions which are wrong his government has done well for minorities. Isn’t that important too?

Please tell me I’m freaking wrong and this won’t jeopardize an entire election.

In Virginia, when our governor got caught with blackface photos from his medical school days, he basically twisted in the wind for a while before the minority groups backed him up after he promised to give fuller support to racial justice. He did not have to resign.

That being said, he was not in an election year and Virginia's governors are limited to one term. Also, there were scandals affecting the lieutenant governor and attorney general too.

Basically, I think it's going to depend on how his campaign responds and whether others step up quickly to say "this sucks, but he's still our guy."

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

vyelkin posted:

lmao what the gently caress

Come the gently caress on, gently caress, I swear to god just destroy this loving country

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Jagmeetmentum

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

Come the gently caress on, gently caress, I swear to god just destroy this loving country

defund Canada

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

DariusLikewise posted:

What has Trudeau's government done for minorities?

Off the top of my head they’ve done great work for Syrian Refugees.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

DariusLikewise posted:

This will probably have a zero effect to Trudeau's polling

Most likely not but it means NDP still has no chance.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
When should we expect polls to come out reflecting this?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Everyone in this trying time it's important to remember that the last time the NDP did well in an election it had much less to do with the party leader or platform or campaign and much more to do with the Liberal Party imploding on live television, so I'm going to go bet my house on an ndp majority lmao

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

The photo's an issue but his response is going to disappoint a lot of small-L-liberal voters.

His claim that it was "acceptable at the time" won't be hurt by the South Asian man in the turban standing right next to him in one of those photos, but it still hinges on us believing that a silver-spoon white dude somehow made it to the year two thousand and one without knowing it was wrong to dress up as another ethnicity. Enough noise had been made on the topic in the preceding decades that there was no way he couldn't have known this, so at least one leg of his apology is made of obvious bullshit.

The other problem is the number of opposing candidates from all parties who've been canceled for bigoted tweets, social media posts and whatnot. When asked about this, all he'd say is that he'd "have conversations".

Our biggest complaint about the Conservatives is the disturbing overlaps between their policies and various forms of bigotry. The NDP are bland and largely ineffective for reasons Helsing reliably enumerates every time an election cycle threatens us with their legitimacy. There are no other credible contenders for the undecided-but-not-the-racist-guy vote, which is fantastic news for the right.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Brony Car posted:

In Virginia, when our governor got caught with blackface photos from his medical school days, he basically twisted in the wind for a while before the minority groups backed him up after he promised to give fuller support to racial justice. He did not have to resign.

That being said, he was not in an election year and Virginia's governors are limited to one term. Also, there were scandals affecting the lieutenant governor and attorney general too.

Basically, I think it's going to depend on how his campaign responds and whether others step up quickly to say "this sucks, but he's still our guy."

I like this way more than just freaking fire the guy.

This doesn’t excuse bad behavior but there more than one way to have consequences than just termination of ones employment.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Tab8715 posted:

They've also increased appointments of visible minorities and indigenous peoples. Still work to do, but it's not nothing; appointments can have a trickle impact on policy implementation.

Given that cannabis arrests disproportionately affected visible minorities, I guess one could argue that legalization also helped, but not in a way that improves the system, I guess.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
There sure are a lot of people coming out of the woodwork to say "I am <insert race> and this is fine!"

And so often from new or anonymous accounts :thinking_face:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

Almost all the Syrian Refugees the government claimed to resettle were private sponsorships and the government more recently had cut funding for english classes for immigrants and refugees so a lot of the people that were brought over are stuck with a remedial understanding of the majority language in this country.

Raenir Salazar posted:

When should we expect polls to come out reflecting this?

Takes about a week for everything to catch up

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

DariusLikewise posted:

Almost all the Syrian Refugees the government claimed to resettle were private sponsorships and the government more recently had cut funding for english classes for immigrants and refugees so a lot of the people that were brought over are stuck with a remedial understanding of the majority language in this country.

Time for this article again

https://www.ledroit.com/chroniques/patrick-duquette/le-ghetto-syrien-dottawa-9c56c7ebe3a7eb332899e8d368a77a05

quote:

Quand la première vague de réfugiés syriens est arrivée au Canada, en décembre 2015, le gouvernement fédéral a logé plusieurs familles dans deux grosses barres d’immeubles de la rue Donald, à Ottawa.

Ils y sont toujours, deux ans et demi plus tard.

Des dizaines de familles syriennes y vivent dans des logements souvent trop petits et mal adaptés. Des familles isolées de la société d’accueil, qui se parlent arabe entre eux, qui ne maîtrisent ni l’anglais ni le français. Avec des problèmes de dépression, de stress post-traumatique, de chômage. Beaucoup n’ont pas d’emploi. Et de moins en moins d’espoir.

Je vous le dis : ça ressemble à un ghetto.

Granted, 1240 Donald had resembled a ghetto for years for one very good reason, but the point still stands. Their situation is technically better than it was by living in a tent city in a warzone, but it is by no means an enviable state anyone responsible for it should be publicly expressing any pride in having created.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

In the United States Republicans play this as “See! Democrats are the real racists!”.

And it works :smith:

ThanosWasRight
May 12, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
How the gently caress did this not come out before the last election?

Also first-generation immigrants almost never speak the language of the country they immigrated to each other in private. Why would they? gently caress most second-generation immigrants and a lot of third-generation ones don't. That doesn't mean jack poo poo.

ThanosWasRight fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 19, 2019

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

The Liberals also have greatly expanded and leaned into the TFW program for cheap labour, which is one the most awful things this country does

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Look, I dunno guys. But the guy from the NDP headquarters who calls me for money who I force to sit through 3 hours of my talking about the Singularity in exchange for my donations assures me everything is going to be fine.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

ThanosWasRight posted:

How the gently caress did this not come out before the last election?

That’s politics!

The same way Wikileaks sent out Hilary’s emails immediately after the Trump Hollywood tape.

Excellent timing.

ThanosWasRight
May 12, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The biggest mistake for Trudeau was not releasing this himself years upon years ago. What an idiot.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

ThanosWasRight posted:

The biggest mistake for Trudeau was not releasing this himself years upon years ago. What an idiot.

I'm confident that he was sufficiently stoned for that period that he probably didn't remember.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

mediaphage posted:

I'm confident that he was sufficiently stoned for that period that he probably didn't remember.

I would actually respect him saying "listen I was greened out of my gourd for most of that time, I did a whole lot of stupid poo poo. This was one of those poo poo stupid things I did."

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

ThanosWasRight posted:

Also first-generation immigrants almost never speak the language of the country they immigrated to each other in private. Why would they? gently caress most second-generation immigrants and a lot of third-generation ones don't. That doesn't mean jack poo poo.

It's not speaking Arabic to each other that's the issue, it's not being able to speak any other language, as implied by the rest of the sentence I pasted and spelled out by the article. If the only people you can talk to are other unemployed chainsmoking shutins with sad brains, you're going to go to a very bad place mentally and stay there with no hope, which does some entirely predictable things to the young people you're raising and the place you're raising them.

I have no idea how many of the of the tens of thousands of people we brought here are stuck in that kind of trap, but I can't imagine that racing against an arbitrary, self-imposed timeline did a whole lot to make the support system more capable of helping them adjust.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Tab8715 posted:

That’s politics!

The same way Wikileaks sent out Hilary’s emails immediately after the Trump Hollywood tape.

Excellent timing.

hmmm yes personally i think it was the russians that hacked a highschool yearbook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

vyelkin posted:

hmmm yes personally i think it was the russians that hacked a highschool yearbook

That’s not my insinuation just that the timing of negative content is often purposefully done to hurt political candidates not because it’s the right thing to do.