Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
based on that little tease, Troy will definitely have 1v1 hero battles like 3K

only date was 2020, nothing more specific

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
https://www.totalwar.com/blog/a-total-war-saga-troy-faq/

A lot more in the blog post.

No mythical creatures; divine help is a buff cause your people believe gods help; naval battles are decided by people landing on a nearby isle; 5 resources instead of just gold; 8 playable heroes; "romance" look.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
this is bullshit

as a self identified minotaur, I

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Ah, thats a bit of a let down really. I was hoping they'd go batshit with the mythology stuff but they're going for a more "realistic" take it seems.

Sounds pretty loving boring if I'm honest.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Ah well, baby steps I guess. Maybe they can be a fair bit more fantastical with the units, at least.

Old Woman Island
Feb 21, 2011

Yeah with the whole realistic take on mythology thing I guess a unit of minotaurs would end up being a small elite infantry unit wearing bulls heads or some poo poo.

I'm not really keen on the bronze age but I do also own pretty much every total war game sooooo.. hopefully it's at least better than ToB.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
It's not even "just Bronze Age", it's "just Greeks in Bronze Age".

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Looks pretty neat in a weird way which sounds just fine to me for a Saga title. Some of my favorite WH2 work has been CA doing their own interpretations of stuff under a lot of constraints so I’m interested to see what they come up with here. One of those screenshots definitely has a massive dude with a big weapon and hilarious outfit and I’m here for that.

Old Woman Island
Feb 21, 2011

40 vs 40 hoplite action coming 2020

edit: also campaign map stuff here if people haven't seen it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny5M4LdiJao

Old Woman Island fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Sep 19, 2019

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Third World Reagan posted:

I am going to say you have two modes

One with god powers, heroes, and monstesr
and one for non fun havers who want more spearmani
To be fair the Trojan Cycle doesn't really have any monsters other than some people making the Myrmidons into actual ant people.

Having Ares come down for a battle would be badass though

Though gently caress it Age of Mythology has like the only good Trojan War adaptation that I've seen in a game or movie

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

This is their idea of a minotaur

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

golden bubble posted:

boring!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Seems fun to me, but then I liked ToB.

I'd play Age of Mythology: TW but their take is interesting enough that I want to see more. And they've left it open enough that the rosters at least have the potential to be less samey than Thrones or 3K.

Honestly I don't think it's possible to make a "historical" bronze age game with the visual detail that TW has, with current archaeology, nor is it possible to really represent the actual, fully mythological Iliad in TW style. Having centaurs punch gorgons is one stylized way, and I like that way, but I'm into this way too.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 19, 2019

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

ilitarist posted:

No mythical creatures; divine help is a buff cause your people believe gods help; naval battles are decided by people landing on a nearby isle; 5 resources instead of just gold; 8 playable heroes; "romance" look.

golden bubble posted:

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
eh, I'm kinda into it

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Jamwad Hilder posted:

eh, I'm kinda into it

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'll be down with it IF they fought like Germanic Berserkers in RTW1. You know what's up if you know about 'em, that's an alright blend of "history" and mythology

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I'd rather they make historical games better by increasing depth rather than trying to capture fantasy fans with gimmicky stuff.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Here's my take on this: we'll see

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Mantis42 posted:

I'd rather they make historical games better by increasing depth rather than trying to capture fantasy fans with gimmicky stuff.

Because no one on earth likes multiple things. That's why only The Asian Market likes the Three Kingdoms gimmick of "a map that isn't Europe and the Mediterranean"

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

achillesforever6 posted:

To be fair the Trojan Cycle doesn't really have any monsters other than some people making the Myrmidons into actual ant people.

There are definitely some. A sea serpent attacks the Greeks outside Troy, for example. And if you include the Odyssey, which is of course the same time period, you get Cyclopes, Sirens, Scylla and Charybdis (admittedly more obstacles than monsters), etc etc.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Zurai posted:

There are definitely some. A sea serpent attacks the Greeks outside Troy, for example. And if you include the Odyssey, which is of course the same time period, you get Cyclopes, Sirens, Scylla and Charybdis (admittedly more obstacles than monsters), etc etc.
Achilles also facing a River God because it's pissed he's choked it with hundreds of corpses is pretty :black101: as well

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

achillesforever6 posted:

Achilles also facing a River God because it's pissed he's choked it with hundreds of corpses is pretty :black101: as well

well YOU would think so

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I'm hesitantly excited. If it's just TW:3K but Bronze Age Greece, yeah that'd be enough to get me buying it.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I’m looking forward to what they can do with increasing infantry tactical diversity since it seems like that’s a major focus. Basically every TW game could use more of that.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Because no one on earth likes multiple things.

Its fine to like both but I don't think faux minotaur men is going to make what is basically yet another Greek Hoplite war interesting to people playing the game with actual minotaurs. They already deride the historical games as being just "pointy stick men".

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

I can't help but feel age of mythology TW would have been way cooler. Will have to wait and see but my hype has cooled immensely.

Warhammer reigns supreme

Anno
May 10, 2017

I’d be surprised if Age of Mythology: Total War isn’t a thing someday, but it would presumably be a main line fantasy title. I can’t think of many more settings CA could use for future fantasy games that wouldn’t make them pay liscensing.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

another spearmanii game, neat...

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

Warhammer reigns supreme

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I think some tame mythological elements is cooler than just plain fantasy. When every general is an Achilles and every army has medusas and minotaurs then it just circles around to being boring. The nice thing is that for Warhammer nerds who just want to play Warhammer, well, it's still there.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Gobblecoque posted:

Warhammer nerds who just want to play Warhammer

That's me

I like my elves and I like my spearmanii, just pump it into my veins as long as it's fun.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The issue with making another fantasy game is that you need to ask the question: what makes this fantasy total war game worth playing when Warhammer already exists?

It's the ur-fantasy setting on steroids that kind of makes it difficult to justify making a competing fantasy title. You'd end up playing essentially the same game but with a less vibrant art style.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

yes but minotaurs

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
With Great Weapons that can send the stunty scum running back to their mountains.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

The issue with making another fantasy game is that you need to ask the question: what makes this fantasy total war game worth playing when Warhammer already exists?

It's the ur-fantasy setting on steroids that kind of makes it difficult to justify making a competing fantasy title. You'd end up playing essentially the same game but with a less vibrant art style.

Warhammer is a very, very specific setting, though. It's definitely not generic fantasy and it's definitely not Greek or even pan-European Mythology. Heroes in Warhammer are vastly different from mythological heroes; among other things, there really aren't any mythological heroes who can call down firestorms and lightning bolts and clouds of death or summon creatures out of thin air, etc etc, and for the most part European mythological heroes aren't "kill an entire army by themselves" battle-competent like RoTK or some Warhammer heroes. Achilles, sure, but he is special precisely because he's literally the best fighter ever. There's also a lot more included in Warhammer which isn't really mythological, and vice versa. Warhammer dwarves are not at all like Norse dwarves (which is what Tolkien loosely based his dwarves on and then WH based theirs loosely on Tolkein), WH elves are absolutely nothing like mythological elves, there are actually very few dragons in European/near Asian/North African mythology and they're always singular entities rather than "oh let's just build 5 Star Dragons for this army", etc etc.

Really, the settings and units are just completely different.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Zurai posted:

Warhammer is a very, very specific setting, though. It's definitely not generic fantasy and it's definitely not Greek or even pan-European Mythology. Heroes in Warhammer are vastly different from mythological heroes; among other things, there really aren't any mythological heroes who can call down firestorms and lightning bolts and clouds of death or summon creatures out of thin air, etc etc, and for the most part European mythological heroes aren't "kill an entire army by themselves" battle-competent like RoTK or some Warhammer heroes. Achilles, sure, but he is special precisely because he's literally the best fighter ever. There's also a lot more included in Warhammer which isn't really mythological, and vice versa. Warhammer dwarves are not at all like Norse dwarves (which is what Tolkien loosely based his dwarves on and then WH based theirs loosely on Tolkein), WH elves are absolutely nothing like mythological elves, there are actually very few dragons in European/near Asian/North African mythology and they're always singular entities rather than "oh let's just build 5 Star Dragons for this army", etc etc.

Really, the settings and units are just completely different.

What makes warhammer fantasy work imo is that it IS generic fantasy, plus other poo poo and covered in blood.
You've got your rapidly multiplying dumb humans, fancy elves, mining dwarves, fighty orcs, vampires w skellies. Then you've got other stuff that bucks the trend but that's made better by the fact you recognise the setting from Tolkien/medieval guff so it has context.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Hentai Jihadist posted:

What makes warhammer fantasy work imo is that it IS generic fantasy, plus other poo poo and covered in blood.
You've got your rapidly multiplying dumb humans, fancy elves, mining dwarves, fighty orcs, vampires w skellies. Then you've got other stuff that bucks the trend but that's made better by the fact you recognise the setting from Tolkien/medieval guff so it has context.

Generic fantasy doesn't have orcs who grow from spores or steam tanks. And those are just old world.

Even if you accept WH as generic fantasy, though, generic fantasy and proper mythology are quite different.

EDIT: I guess what I'm saying is that there are elements of Warhammer: Total War which are generic fantasy if you were to isolate them -- Vampire Counts, for example -- but as a whole, no, it's its own thing.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 19, 2019

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Zurai posted:

Generic fantasy doesn't have orcs who grow from spores or rats with gatling guns. And those are just old world.

Even if you accept WH as generic fantasy, though, generic fantasy and proper mythology are quite different.

EDIT: I guess what I'm saying is that there are elements of Warhammer: Total War which are generic fantasy if you were to isolate them -- Vampire Counts, for example -- but as a whole, no, it's its own thing.

Yeah that's kinda what I was trying to say, the core looks generic fantasy and largely is but then there's loads of additional stuff that isn't. The additional stuff is what makes warhammer what it is and is why imo if you made a generic fantasy or a Tolkien game it'd be just a less characterful version of the Warhams game.

Basically agreeing with arcsquad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Warhammer is also very specifically focused on army combat, and the sheer variety of fantasy race pastiches gives it more diversity than just about any other fantasy setting. Again, tell me what would differentiate a mythological total war from Warhammer apart from the art style? What would a Greek mythology Minotaur do that a beastman Minotaur doesn't already do?

Perhaps it's not that Warhammer is generic fantasy, but that it has such a breadth of content that a second fantasy/mythology focused game would come up short compared to it.

Lots of fantasy settings put military conflict at the forefront, but not all of them feature a free for all between nazi rats, German landschneckts, Football Orcs, dwarfs, vampirates, Egyptian vampires, Egyptian necromancers, Aztec lizards, elves, heavy metal Vikings, goatmen, mammoth riding Danes, Monty Python cosplayers and the forces of Hell.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 19, 2019