Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

digging the color choices for "so much rain we had to extend the color scale" on this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

it's like the transition from 'oh my god everything is red' to 'skeletons'

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
Stay safe Texan goons.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Radirot posted:

Stay safe Texan goons.

Texas will be fine, Alabama, that's a whole different story :rip:

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

prob time for a thread rename just sayin

edit for content: alabama is actually having the opposite problem rn!

Drought conditions growing in Alabama

oystertoadfish has issued a correction as of 18:03 on Sep 19, 2019

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Texas will be fine, Alabama, that's a whole different story :rip:

Yeah :(

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
I know little about Houston besides what I have learned from SA threads, and what I know is this:

- They suck at highway planning and have way too many highways stacked on top of each other
- it rains there once every three years and when it happens it's an absolute catastrophe

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

twoday posted:

I know little about Houston besides what I have learned from SA threads, and what I know is this:

- They suck at highway planning and have way too many highways stacked on top of each other
- it rains there once every three years and when it happens it's an absolute catastrophe

It actually rains here all the time, and some amount of flooding happens regularly. It's just that every three years or so nowadays we get a mega flooding event like this

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Yeah Houston floods constantly, it's just that only the mega floods get the attention. And since mega floods are the new normal.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

oystertoadfish posted:

btw new york 2140 is a pretty decent book about the moderately-near future under a high sea level rise scenario with a certain amount of excoriating our generation as cowards, which seems fair

on the other hand we'll be dead and they're not

makes you think

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

twoday posted:

- Houston has essentially no central planning and absolutely no environmental planning, so they essentially covered an enormous swathe of swampland/wetland/plains with impermeable surfaces such that the prodigious rains that they regularly experience has no where to go and end up accumulating on their billion acres of concrete hell

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

twoday posted:

they paved over all of their permeable surfaces and call where the old canals used to be "bayous"

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Vox Nihili posted:

- Houston has essentially no central planning and absolutely no environmental planning, so they essentially covered an enormous swathe of swampland/wetland/plains with impermeable surfaces such that the prodigious rains that they regularly experience has no where to go and end up accumulating on their billion acres of concrete hell

i have family there and it's endlessly hilarious how proud they are of their complete lack of zoning lmao

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i have family there and it's endlessly hilarious how proud they are of their complete lack of zoning lmao

*builds a house on a resevoir's floodplain*

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

theyre gonna spend so many millions of dollars ripping up concrete and replacing it with wetland someday

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

Imagine thinking Texas is capable of governing itself lmao

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

oystertoadfish posted:

theyre gonna spend so many millions of dollars ripping up concrete and replacing it with wetland someday

Or they'll spend no money and just let things get worse.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

oystertoadfish posted:

you spelled "abandoning the city and anyone who can't afford to move to the wrath of the rising sea" wrong

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

*builds a house on a resevoir's floodplain*

for real

houston's some simcityass poo poo

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

You can't cut back on flooding control!! You will regret this!!!!!

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Luneshot posted:

you spelled "abandoning the city and anyone who can't afford to move to the wrath of the rising sea" wrong

With President Yang's 1k a month you'll be able to move lmao that people actually believe that.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
a before and after of hurricane dorian damage in the bahamas. there's like 10 more if you click through to the thread.
https://twitter.com/weatherdak/status/1174553126973476864

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

https://twitter.com/rachelabc13/status/1174741806417895424?s=19

It's extremely wet, from the perspective of water

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

already beating allison eh

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

fermun posted:

a before and after of hurricane dorian damage in the bahamas. there's like 10 more if you click through to the thread.
https://twitter.com/weatherdak/status/1174553126973476864

We're on to Imelda now

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

oystertoadfish posted:

More likely they'll just pile up as much dirt as they can and rebuild on top. The runoff is someone else's problem.

Luneshot posted:

Houston is too major of a port to be abandoned. Poor people will still get hosed over of course.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

for real

houston's some simcityass poo poo

If only capitalism could figure out how to sell housing inside an active volcano like The Incredibles.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

already beating allison eh

That shocks me, pre Harvey - allison was always the comparison to big floods.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

and remember that it made landfall as a named hurricane only a couple hours after being identified as a tropical depression, pouring down torrential rain on Texas before many people had even heard the weather reports

the rapid development of this storm is real alarming because it came about too fast for anyone to really prepare for it. the fact that it's also climbing its way up the record charts with so little time spent charging up is real bad news

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
I didn’t even realize there was a storm and now Houston is underwater?

:hmmyes:

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
starting to think something might be up with the climate, some scientists should look into that

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

sleeptalker posted:

More likely they'll just pile up as much dirt as they can and rebuild on top. The runoff is someone else's problem.

Houston is too major of a port to be abandoned. Poor people will still get hosed over of course.

so was Carthage, and they were only fighting Italians, not Climate Death

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

There's so much rain they don't even have a color for the worst part haha

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Welp, I guess that's over

Rogue Copter Pilot
Apr 12, 2005

a dead whale or a stove boat

it would be funnier if the lights were green tbh

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Rogue Copter Pilot posted:

it would be funnier if the lights were green tbh

Don't turn around. Drown.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
it's pretty cool that gulf texas is going to wash out to sea, and may do so before miami or tampa

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

texas is going into the deep blue sea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The rain stopped, it's fine now