Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Grouchio posted:

I just use the Americanist Freemason sign for their arms.

now that's a little creepy

also the illuminati is already in the game as the americanist satanic society, and the freemasons are the reformed occultist mercenary order

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

classic

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Still sad that mod didn't get finished because it looked like fun. :sigh:

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
That reminds me. I should be able to combine all the Saint body parts into a Saint Skeleton Megazord. Developers when??

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
only if he can battle the Mecha-Saoshyant

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Kassad posted:

Pretty much:

Man, I have done way too much medieval gaming, I can actually read that. If I read it right though, the eagle's tongue is supposed to be red

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So, uh:

How do I get gun?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Looks like you're going to have to pull it from his cold, dead hands. When rushing to attack, remember: serpentine!

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

SirPhoebos posted:

How do I get gun?

it is a super rare drop from the old world salvage event chain. i guess that character spawns with a bunch of loot

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

what do you do if your dude gets stuck on the salvage event chain? I tried two different rust cultist starts and both times they were stuck 'on pilgrimage' until they died of old age.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Lousy Redcoats didn't bring me a gun :saddowns:

I've got a bunch of weak claims in my bloodline on a large tribal government, but I can't figure out how to set up the circumstances to launch a claim war. Since the government is Elected Gavelkind it doesn't seem like there's going to be a time when there's a kid in charge. And all my claimants are women. I launched a debt war, thinking I can force a regency while their ruler is imprisoned, only to discover that I can't declare war on Realms if I have their ruler imprisoned*.

Also what are the triggers for establishing the MacArthur Bloodline (or the Alexander Bloodline in the base game). I have the resources to do it, and it's the one last thing I need to start The Blobbening in earnest.

EDIT: What the best way of dealing with all these loving pirates?

*EDIT2: Thinking about it, I now realize why this is the case (since having the ruler imprisoned automatically wins you the war).

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 19, 2019

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

SirPhoebos posted:

I've got a bunch of weak claims in my bloodline on a large tribal government, but I can't figure out how to set up the circumstances to launch a claim war. Since the government is Elected Gavelkind it doesn't seem like there's going to be a time when there's a kid in charge. And all my claimants are women. I launched a debt war, thinking I can force a regency while their ruler is imprisoned, only to discover that I can't declare war on Realms if I have their ruler imprisoned*.

Also what are the triggers for establishing the MacArthur Bloodline (or the Alexander Bloodline in the base game). I have the resources to do it, and it's the one last thing I need to start The Blobbening in earnest.

*EDIT2: Thinking about it, I now realize why this is the case (since having the ruler imprisoned automatically wins you the war).

Can you find a way to trigger a civil war? IIRC that lets you press weak claims too.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Technowolf posted:

Can you find a way to trigger a civil war? IIRC that lets you press weak claims too.

What sort of things could I normally do to start a civil war in another realm?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Kassad posted:

Pretty much:

My favourite detail is the shield within a shield within a shield.

Triple shield goodness.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SirPhoebos posted:

With the Alexander/Ashoka Bloodline chain you need to have 15k prestige, be an emperor, and not content, not a prisoner, and not incapable. I’d assume the AtE equivalent probably has the same rules. I don’t know what the MttH is on it so it’s possible that even if you meet all the requirements it just might not get around to firing. It’s more common than the immortality event chain in my experience, though.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

SirPhoebos posted:

What sort of things could I normally do to start a civil war in another realm?

Stab rulers until someone incompetent or unpopular gets on the throne and stab vassals until someone ambitious rules.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Technowolf posted:

Stab rulers until someone incompetent or unpopular gets on the throne and stab vassals until someone ambitious rules.

Thanks for the advice.

(The sad thing is there was a window where I could have pressed a claim, but it opened just as I got the Redcoat Invasion warning. I turned down the opportunity not knowing what to expect, but while the invasion was definitely :stare:-worthy, it wasn't gently caress You numbers of troops like the Sunset Invasion. Looking back I think I could have pulled off a two-front war. Oh well, part of learning this game is coming to appreciate your less-than optimal decisions).

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Pardon the double post, but is there a mod to give Jihads and other Great Holy Wars the same mechanical support as Catholic Crusades (so two year prep, monetary contributions and rewards, ability to influence the target, etc)?

EDIT: sacre bleu:

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Sep 21, 2019

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
one of my obscure barons has been married five times

his first wife died long ago, of severe injuries

his second wife died four years ago, slain in personal combat

his third wife died in april of this year, slain in personal combat

his fourth wife died in july of this year, slain in personal combat, by my daughter

his fifth wife died this month, slain in personal combat, by my other daughter

i think i'm just going to imprison this guy so whatever it is that makes people want to duel his wives doesn't claim another woman

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

The Grand Rebbe has been pretty ambitious with calling Great Holy Wars, but I think this one takes the (bland, passover-kosher) cake:

Why sure, Rebbe, I'll march across the entire continent, no way this won't be a total logistical nightmare :suicide:

EDIT: Damnit, I won too. This is only going to encourage him!

This is why I want the Crusade interface for non-catholics, so I can pull the Rebbe aside when he's snorted too much coke.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Sep 22, 2019

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Durr durr durr I'm the new loving Khagan and I'll happily defend a war I know I can win because I'll call my clan allies into this, and then I'll just loving march backward and forward for no loving reason while the enemy troops walk past and take territory and lose the whole war and cause the player a loving game over because I'm a total loving idiot and won't actually engage the enemy even though I have twice the troops durr durr durr. loving hell that is the loving stupidest way to get a game over.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Oh, the ol' march back and forth between two provinces bug happened to your liege? That sucks.

I had it happen to the Shia Rising doomstack, who I was counting on to cut the Abbasids down to size.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

It wasn't two provinces, it was four. Just march into their territory, then immediately turn back and march across three of ours, then turn back again, taking my troops with him in the vain hope he would actually fight and easily beat our opponent with the combined armies of him and the two Khans. But, no, just wobble backward and forwards, not retaking territory nor sieging theirs, until we lost.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Somehow I didn't realize that the conquest CB lets you also keep counties you occupy outside of the de jure kingdom you are targeting.

Which brings me to my next question: what is the threat reduction you get from releasing vassals based on? Do the more counties or holdings you release lead to a bigger discount or is it just based on the level of the title you released? On of my ideas is to conquer the rest of California and then release it.

On the other hand, I think I've gotten to the point where I can actually fight everyone else at once and win. This thread wasn't kidding when it said that Merchant Republics were OP.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Anyone know a mod that disables regency for female rules during pregnancies? I play a beast of a norse woman currently and none of my courtiers can match her marshal skills so every time she gets pregnant all my troops go "aw gently caress she got fat" and leave the realm cause of designated regents low skills.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Dongattack posted:

Anyone know a mod that disables regency for female rules during pregnancies? I play a beast of a norse woman currently and none of my courtiers can match her marshal skills so every time she gets pregnant all my troops go "aw gently caress she got fat" and leave the realm cause of designated regents low skills.

There's a game rule to remove regency as a concept, and for pregnancies in particular there's a “pregnancy flavour” rule where you can reduce the number of events and the effect of pregnancy-related regencies specifically.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Tippis posted:

There's a game rule to remove regency as a concept, and for pregnancies in particular there's a “pregnancy flavour” rule where you can reduce the number of events and the effect of pregnancy-related regencies specifically.

Ah okay, something for next time i play a similar game then, thanks. I'll just cheat a courtier to be immortal and have similar stats to me for this one, hopefully i never get on his bad side.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Yeah, although if you do it right (good luck), it's possible to change game rules by editing a save file. It's a bit of a faff to do it right and get the proper syntax, but it is doable.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Dongattack posted:

Ah okay, something for next time i play a similar game then, thanks. I'll just cheat a courtier to be immortal and have similar stats to me for this one, hopefully i never get on his bad side.

Well it sounds like she might have enough kids already, so if you're already using console commands, you can just give your ruler or her husband the celibate trait.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I feel like I've gotten everything I can out of my current playthrough. While I mentioned moving onto an ATE Norse start (having some decision paralysis on which tribe to go with), I'm also curious about doing a single-Island Brethren start (specifically Tortuga for Maximum References). Any advice on that start?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

My ATE Norse game is going well. I'm ready to reform the religion and and I'm undecided on what traits to pick. I like Temporal Leader and Sons of Ragnarok. I'm torn on the 2nd doctrine. Bloodthirsty Gods and Unrelenting would be sticking to the theme. However I remember how great being able to pick my own heir was in my last game, so Meritocracy is tempting. As for nature, I'm trying to pick between Warmongering and Unyielding. Warmongering seems like it could be a pain if you get large enough that even the smallest gains blow up your Threat score. Though being able to call your own Great Holy War seems like it would offset that somewhat, and if your other believers are being aggressive you can always find another war to join. On the other hand Unyielding, while it sounds pretty solid, also feels unexciting.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Sep 25, 2019

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Edit: I have been told this is a bad idea, nevermind.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

SirPhoebos posted:

My ATE Norse game is going well. I'm ready to reform the religion and and I'm undecided on what traits to pick. I like Temporal Leader and Sons of Ragnarok. I'm torn on the 2nd doctrine. Bloodthirsty Gods and Unrelenting would be sticking to the theme. However I remember how great being able to pick my own heir was in my last game, so Meritocracy is tempting. As for nature, I'm trying to pick between Warmongering and Unyielding. Warmongering seems like it could be a pain if you get large enough that even the smallest gains blow up your Threat score. Though being able to call your own Great Holy War seems like it would offset that somewhat, and if your other believers are being aggressive you can always find another war to join. On the other hand Unyielding, while it sounds pretty solid, also feels unexciting.

At least in vanilla, I hate taking Warmongering. My vassals just non-stop suicide holy war into targets they have no chance on defeating.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

At least in vanilla, I hate taking Warmongering. My vassals just non-stop suicide holy war into targets they have no chance on defeating.

Yeah, that's a problem with holy wars in general. I had to violently bribe my way into outlawing all vassal wars at one point because they kept trying take on the entire middle-east with their little dutchy, completely tanking the moral authority and causing a bajillion heresies and revolts to start as a result.

It's nice that they want to expand the empire, but not if they do it so stupidly that it results in 50+ years of constant religious uprisings.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

SirPhoebos posted:

sons of ragnarok is the unique ATE trait, you should mostly always take the unique trait for a religion in ATE

bloodthirsty gods is meh, it's fun once maybe but norse already have a human sacrifice mechanic

warmongering is bad because it makes everyone of your religion do holy wars constantly. since norse is small in ATE and tribal, they will keep picking fights they lose. it might be worth it if you want to commit to doing constant warfare all of the time for the rest of this run

unyielding is boring but probably worth it given that you could be the target of both catholic and ursuline crusades

as norse you can already conquest your way around the great lakes so you've got no want of CBs

don't overlook stability - the removal of short reign policy is meh, but being able to spend piety to stat boost your heir is great

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Sep 25, 2019

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

sons of ragnarok is the Germanic unique trait in vanilla too. does it do something different in ATE?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
ah no, it is the same reform pick

quote:

Norse: Same as vanilla. Yeah.

Revelationist: Tongues of the Spirit - Combines Monastic and Syncretic. (This is intended to reflect Revelationists realizing that they actually have a lot in common with neighboring Christians.)

Rust Cultist: Iron Fists - combines Dogmatic, Meritocratic, and Religious Tax. (This is by far the most powerful custom doctrine, and reflects a hardline stance against heathens while promoting equality among co-religionists.)

Occultist: Call of the Old Ones - Combines Astrology and Haruspicy. (This reflects a desire to understand the Old Ones' intentions as deeply as possible.)

Thelemic: Blood-Red Seas - combines Seafaring and Human Sacrifice. (This reflects the Thelemics attempting to consolidate their rule over the Americas.)

Druidic: Defenders of the Dagda - identical to vanilla Baltic. (I got kind of lazy with this one, but it fits well thematically, given Druidic's status as a faith on the brink of destruction at the start.)

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Is there a solution to giant doomstacks? I'm Byzantium and the Shia have formed right on my doorstep. Every few years they go "hey we're going to take Anatolia" or whatever and there is literally poo poo all my 25k dudes can do about their 75k dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Is there a solution to giant doomstacks? I'm Byzantium and the Shia have formed right on my doorstep. Every few years they go "hey we're going to take Anatolia" or whatever and there is literally poo poo all my 25k dudes can do about their 75k dudes.
iirc, those doomstacks are event troops that disappear after the death of first Shia caliph. Try to kill him through intrigue window.