Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

I think removing expression from appearance is a bit odd, like a lot of these people have a lot of pompous body language and condescending looks that accentuate their existing features into things that make you disgusted by them when combined with what they're saying, e.g. Jo Swinson has a fine appearance if it was a regular photo but most of her public appearance as leader have involved a fair amount of treating everyone as children while lying through her teeth and it comes off physically, Rory Stewart looks fine too but the way he carries himself when he talks to cameras is of someone who believes they're destined for the job they're in and that nothing will ever change that, a kind of blase indifference. They're also trading off their image heavily, obvious example being Rees-Mogg and Bojo but it's an integral part of the established view of electioneering (as much as it shouldn't be) and so a lot of MPs, especially on the right are politically choosing their style of appearance/body language to appeal to different groups, as evidenced by the tory power stance.

edit: 2 * 64 = 128 which happens to be one more along its indices, this is a very poor fact i apologise

brian fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Sep 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/malaiseforever/status/1174745803979657222

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's possibly a difference between rory stewart looks like a horse (because he looks like a horse) and rory stewart looks like a smacked arse (because he's next to a black man)

Or even JRM looks like a stick insect vs JRM looks like a 19th century capitalism elemental.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/sep/18/the-harsh-reality-of-underfunding-at-my-hospital-swept-away-for-johnson-visit

To the surprise of absolutely nobody in this thread.

Pencils R Cool
Feb 16, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Christ, he’s not usually this wrong. :/

https://twitter.com/mrjamesob/status/1076380117352488960?lang=en

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

The_Doctor posted:

Christ, he’s not usually this wrong. :/

He is practically always at least this wrong

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I do like galaxy o brains constant bemused and confused frown, though he blatantly stole it from Tucker Carlson

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Oh dear me posted:

It's not their feelings people are concerned about, not least because they probably don't read this thread anyway. Would recommend reading the previous discussion if you have questions.

Read it, disagree with it. Making fun of appearances is hardly a sophisticated takedown of someone's political viewpoint, but it's basically fine. Some people in politics look funny, dress funny, act funny. Discourse becomes really loving dry and uninspiring if it's entirely fact-based.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

But quite a lot of funny looking people might read the thread, or rather might not read the thread if we spend a lot of time making fun of people for looking funny.

It only takes a bit more effort to make low effort jibes at people that aren't based on intrinsic elements of their appearance.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

winegums posted:

Read it, disagree with it. Making fun of appearances is hardly a sophisticated takedown of someone's political viewpoint, but it's basically fine. Some people in politics look funny, dress funny, act funny. Discourse becomes really loving dry and uninspiring if it's entirely fact-based.

Cool of you to not care about the pressures both men and women feel to match society's idealised body image :thumbsup:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Rarity posted:

Oh for gently caress sake we just had this debate

Lets be fair, you had the debate while most everyone else stayed out of it or pointed out it's really loving lame decorum liberalism. It certainly wasn't settled.

Yes yes, attacking people for their appearance is cruel. So are Tories. If someone happens to also look like Rory Stewart and are bothered by it, that is unfortunate but they can take succour from the knowledge that at least they aren't a Tory. Unless they also are a Tory in which case I'd shrug my shoulders but the size of the shrug would be so large as to register on a seismograph.

And sure, maybe it's also bad for me to dehumanise people based on their politics to which I'd reply that I am not a liberal, I do not believe in "rising above" and if dehumanising immigrants or the unemployed or any other vulnerable group is part of your politics then I will feel entirely comfortable in retaliating.

Where does it end? Is it no longer acceptable to rip the piss out of that loving stupid Tory power stance? Because that's part of their appearance and maybe Tories can't help but stand like that because of some curse put upon them by some demon in exchange for power. As with most things, it is a judgement call. Insulting the appearance of an exceptionally well off man born into the lap of privilege & educated at elite schools is not something worth wasting a breath on. He deserves far worse.

Blah blah power dynamics, blah blah punching up not down, blah blah all the rest.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 19, 2019

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

brian posted:

Rory Stewart looks fine too but the way he carries himself when he talks to cameras is of someone who believes they're destined for the job they're in and that nothing will ever change that, a kind of blase indifference. They're also trading off their image heavily, obvious example being Rees-Mogg and Bojo but it's an integral part of the established view of electioneering (as much as it shouldn't be) and so a lot of MPs, especially on the right are politically choosing their style of appearance/body language to appeal to different groups, as evidenced by the tory power stance.

OK Yeah so I agree with the general point of "don't make fun of people for their appearances/things they can't change about themselves" (and I actually admonished somebody on twitter yesterday for making fun of Rachel Riley being boss-eyed despite the fact I can't stand the awful turd) BUT I took the podcast "horse in a oval office suit" as being about Rory Stewart's general demeanor i.e. how he acts/speaks to people, rather than his actual physical appearance (similar to how brian has described it in the bolded part above), which is a bit different.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

Lets be fair, you had the debate while most everyone else stayed out of it or pointed out it's really loving lame decorum liberalism.

Yes yes, attacking people for their appearance is cruel. So are Tories. If someone happens to also look like Rory Stewart and are bothered by it, that is unfortunate but they can take succour from the knowledge that at least they aren't a Tory. Unless they also are a Tory in which case I'd shrug my shoulders but the size of the shrug would be so large as to register on a seismograph.

And sure, maybe it's also bad for me to dehumanise people based on their politics to which I'd reply that I am not a liberal, I do not believe in "rising above" and if dehumanising immigrants or the unemployed or any other vulnerable group is part of your politics then I will feel entirely comfortable in retaliating.

Where does it end? Is it no longer acceptable to rip the piss out of that loving stupid Tory power stance? Because that's part of their appearance and maybe Tories can't help but stand like that because of some curse put upon them by some demon in exchange for power. As with most things, it is a judgement call. Insulting the appearance of an exceptionally well off man born into the lap of privilege & educated at elite schools is not something worth wasting a breath on. He deserves far worse.

How did you feel when I was being sexist, out of curiosity?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

jacob rees mogg looks like an idiot dipshit moron, imo

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

What if a horse heard that joke though? Theyd be pretty disneighed

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Sexism bad, mocking people for their appearance really good and hilarious

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

forkboy84 posted:

Lets be fair, you had the debate while most everyone else stayed out of it or pointed out it's really loving lame decorum liberalism. It certainly wasn't settled.

Maybe so but I had a bunch of people messaging me to say I was right and I am so I'm not shutting up about it :colbert:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Hentai Jihadist posted:

What if a horse heard that joke though? Theyd be pretty disneighed

Nobody cares about remaners

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rarity is not just right but as far as I can recall, consistently right.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rarity was and is right

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

How did you feel when I was being sexist, out of curiosity?

I have no idea. When were you being sexist? Who were you being sexist too? What was the context? How exactly were you being sexist?

I am not even going to claim that I'm entirely consistent. I'm not. I'm far more comfortable making GBS threads on a guy's looks than on a woman's, I'm not sure I could really do that. Though I'm also much more likely to comment on a male who looks attractive than a woman, despite being mostly straight I think. Generally as a rule I'm not going to make a negative comment on someone's appearance because I'm certainly no looker myself and I've gotten more than enough of that from others, but if someone makes a funny crack about Rory Stewart looking like a horse in a oval office suit, eh, it's funny. Perhaps that I find it funny reflects poorly on me but it's Rory Stewart. I'm a trash person, I try to be better most of the time but Tory MPs are not worth the effort of being decent to.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Sep 19, 2019

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
e: Yeah fair point I got carried away

Rarity fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 19, 2019

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

the thread isn't a hive mind so trying to dictate people's behaviour then declaring it settled and a thread rule is weird imo

Esp when as just happened within a couple days people will be making jokes about these hideous tory goblins all over again because they are hideous goblins out to kill us all

Yeah like this is weird lol

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

I'll stop taking the piss out of the appearance of hideous Tory goblins when they stop trying to kill me and mine.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Rarity posted:

Maybe so but I had a bunch of people messaging me to say I was right and I am so I'm not shutting up about it :colbert:

Fair enough. And I will not shut up about not thinking Tories are human.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee

kecske posted:

jacob rees mogg looks like an idiot dipshit moron, imo

um a little decorum please

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i gotta politely say - i don't think policing this is helpful or constructive. i would suggest posters lead by example and call out particularly egregious stuff - the sexist poo poo for example.

and i say this after reading the debate - while i agree with many of the broad strokes, and it has caused me to examine how i use language, i did not come to the conclusion that is being enforced here. and i say this as a particularly goony looking motherfucker - people express dissatisfaction with the superficial when they lack the language to critique the meaningful. extremely often this dissatisfaction is expressed in less than perfect ways (and it is our obligation to help address that) but that expression is praxis.

appearance is political - everything is political, but appearance particularly so.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Things the left and the right agree on: The BBC is biased, liberalism is a disease, genocide the ugly.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Are we still allowed to make fun of how Michael Gove claps or drinks water?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

But the core and consistent argument is that rory stewart is never going to hear anything you call him on this forum, and I would venture that the only people, by and large, who are going to read UKMT for any length of time, are probably generally alright sorts who can tolerate a very large amount of communism but who might get put off if we spend our time making fun of people for having weird teeth, cos I know a lot of people with weird teeth and as such I don't have a habit of commenting on people's weird teeth.

Who you aim an insult at is not the same as who will hear it, especially if you do it in a place your target literally can and will never hear it, the only people an insult can affect is its audience, and as your audience does not include rory stewart but does include potentially alright horse-looking people, then it seems like the main person it's benefitting is you, and other people who are fortunate enough not to look like that and feel insecure about it.

I assume, given what you know about our thread population, and probably given recent developments in the online left space in general, you probably wouldn't make jokes about people looking like a different gender than they are trying to present as. Because you know the effect that's likely to have on your audience. There are plenty of low effort jabs you can make at people that are far more individual to them, or which are more specific to their political tendencies. Because I fully understand the need for low effort jabs, as I said last time, effortful complaints involve emotional labour that it's hard to do, sometimes you want to just be petty and spiteful, but even within that you can pick things that are far more specific to tories or to the person you're looking to complain about.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

forkboy84 posted:

Fair enough. And I will not shut up about not thinking Tories are human.

Yeah and that's not the issue here so whatevs

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

Rationally, I would say that insulting someone for some physical aspect that they can't easily change is problematic and should not be done. Irrationally, I want to point out how fascinated I am by the sheer pinkness of Edward Leigh's face. It may well be the pinkest face I've ever seen outside of Harlequin Ichthyosis. Thank you for allowing me to get that out of my system. I am now #cancelled.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think the horse in a oval office suit works because he could quite easily choose to not wear the oval office suit (i.e. leave the party) but if other people took it as overtly a jab at appearance I'll listen to that.

It's a bit like Ruth Davidson and a some of the tank dick jokes, you could take them as "haha lesbians want to be men" jokes or "she wants to use the army for dick waving because she's a right winger" jokes and you can't really tell lesbians which way to take it (and genuinely I don't mean that as a pun, but I can't think of a way to write that that doesn't sound even worse). But you can tell the people trying to turn it into a homophobic joke to gently caress off.

Then there's the insufferable people who will say "actually it's a self propelled gun dick".

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Noxville posted:

Are we still allowed to make fun of how Michael Gove claps or drinks water?

No comments on appearance, mannerisms, speech patterns or clothes.

Only through purely factual analysis of politics will the people be converted to left-wing thought.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Jollity Farm posted:

Rationally, I would say that insulting someone for some physical aspect that they can't easily change is problematic and should not be done.

does this extend to things like how mike gapes pronounces milk?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
For the record I don't think Rory Stewart looks particularly horselike, I was more having a go at him for being a oval office and having that "has only read about people in books" energy that tories tend to have but I understand that intent doesn't really matter if people took it as a dig at his appearance.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

OwlFancier posted:

But the core and consistent argument is that rory stewart is never going to hear anything you call him on this forum, and I would venture that the only people, by and large, who are going to read UKMT for any length of time, are probably generally alright sorts who can tolerate a very large amount of communism but who might get put off if we spend our time making fun of people for having weird teeth, cos I know a lot of people with weird teeth and as such I don't have a habit of commenting on people's weird teeth.

Who you aim an insult at is not the same as who will hear it, especially if you do it in a place your target literally can and will never hear it, the only people an insult can affect is its audience, and as your audience does not include rory stewart but does include potentially alright horse-looking people, then it seems like the main person it's benefitting is you, and other people who are fortunate enough not to look like that and feel insecure about it.

I assume, given what you know about our thread population, and probably given recent developments in the online left space in general, you probably wouldn't make jokes about people looking like a different gender than they are trying to present as. Because you know the effect that's likely to have on your audience. There are plenty of low effort jabs you can make at people that are far more individual to them, or which are more specific to their political tendencies. Because I fully understand the need for low effort jabs, as I said last time, effortful complaints involve emotional labour that it's hard to do, sometimes you want to just be petty and spiteful, but even within that you can pick things that are far more specific to tories or to the person you're looking to complain about.

You can make fun of superficial things that tory motherfuckers do like Rory's bizzare tilt or, as Guava likes to point out, the fact that Johnson looks like the soul of a victorian boy with trapped in the body of a middle aged used car salesman trapped in a loveless marriage. None of those things, imo, will be offensive to anybody except maybe used car salesmen? Like, put some effort into it instead of picking on things that other good sorts might have in common physically with these murdering fucks like bad teeth or how overweight they are.

winegums posted:

No comments on appearance, mannerisms, speech patterns or clothes.

Only through purely factual analysis of politics will the people be converted to left-wing thought.

I would say actually that I think clothes are fine to mock as they're a choice, same as pronouncing poo poo weird (Corbz says 'issues' wrong :colbert:), but physical characteristics are off limits imo

Miftan fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 19, 2019

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

This is why we have multi-page arguments about crisps.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

njsykora posted:

This is why we have multi-page arguments about crisps.

i am really happy that i have somehow made this canon. i will use my powers for good. well, okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Miftan posted:

You can make fun of superficial things that tory motherfuckers do like Rory's bizzare tilt or, as Guava likes to point out, the fact that Johnson looks like the soul of a victorian boy with trapped in the body of a middle aged used car salesman trapped in a loveless marriage. None of those things, imo, will be offensive to anybody except maybe used car salesmen? Like, put some effort into it instead of picking on things that other good sorts might have in common physically with these murdering fucks like bad teeth or how overweight they are.

Hence why I went for the tony blair lizard grimace because I think that is extremely appropriate for Swinson given her politics.